Penn State/State Pen [split]


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Dutra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Summation to this point with some new points of interest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/sport ... =4&_r=2&hp
Dutra
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks, Dutra; worth reading to get a sense of the unfolding of things.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby KevinM » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:11 am

KevinM
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 am

Good piece. Penn State is sure one screwed up place...

'Sandusky kept his office at Penn State and continued to have full access to the football facilities. The lone result of the 2002 incident -- a decision approved by Spanier -- is that Sandusky was prohibited from bringing children on campus. Don't do it here. Among all the graphic and horrifying detail in the grand jury testimony, this point is perhaps most damming.

Sandusky's alleged activity continued. It just moved elsewhere. The only two victims in the grand jury report whose identities remain unknown -- whom authorities couldn't contact -- were the ones assaulted on the Penn State campus. Had Sandusky not been so brazen in Mill Hall, had he simply restricted himself to the football facilities in State College, there is little to suggest he would have been caught. For Sandusky -- if not for the boys -- Penn State football was a safe haven.'
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 am

It probably wont matter because there will most likely be many victims and eyewitnesses coming forward, but If Mcqueary lied when he said he went to the police, the defenses attorney will eat him alive when he testifies,i.e.- he is a liar, we can't believe a word he says.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby KevinM » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:54 am

At this point I’m most interested in this case not to see a rapist punished (though that is certainly a good thing), or to see more and more folks take a fall at PSU (though that may also be justified), but as a way to further expose the ridiculous power and institutional hypocrisy that is part and parcel with college sports at almost all levels.

The big question, of course, is how to make effective changes when the ruling body (NCAA) is governed by university presidents whose jobs, because of irrational alumni giving and use of influence, are often as tied to the success of the football and basketball teams as the coaches and athletic directors.
KevinM
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 am

SQUACKEE wrote:It probably wont matter because there will most likely be many victims and eyewitnesses coming forward, but If Mcqueary lied when he said he went to the police, the defenses attorney will eat him alive when he testifies,i.e.- he is a liar, we can't believe a word he says.


Perhaps. But there is a difference between testifying under oath and sending out a spurious email.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 pm

My guess is that he had discussions with the police and they did not file anything formally -- possibly (probably?) because their boss said not to, that they would handle Sandusky and had already banned him from bring kids on campus. It is the easiest scenario that fits the 'facts' cited in the report and consistent with the statements of people deemed 'credible' by the Grand Jury.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:32 pm

26mi235 wrote:My guess is that he had discussions with the police and they did not file anything formally -- possibly (probably?) because their boss said not to, that they would handle Sandusky and had already banned him from bring kids on campus. It is the easiest scenario that fits the 'facts' cited in the report and consistent with the statements of people deemed 'credible' by the Grand Jury.


There is like zero evidence McQ talked to any police. Nothing in the grand jury report which doesn't seem likely if true. Why hide that fact? Having some cop as a fall guy seems more like PS's mo.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Dutra » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
26mi235 wrote:My guess is that he had discussions with the police and they did not file anything formally -- possibly (probably?) because their boss said not to, that they would handle Sandusky and had already banned him from bring kids on campus. It is the easiest scenario that fits the 'facts' cited in the report and consistent with the statements of people deemed 'credible' by the Grand Jury.


There is like zero evidence McQ talked to any police. Nothing in the grand jury report which doesn't seem likely if true. Why hide that fact? Having some cop as a fall guy seems more like PS's mo.


I still think McQueary is referring to Gary Schultz...the VP of finance and business who was also the head of Campus Police....when he mentions that he had "discussions" with the police. Those "discussions" occurred 10 days after the fact. Technically he's correct and he's in no danger of taking anyone else down because Schultz is already on the hot seat for what he didn't do.
Dutra
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:39 pm

The Grand Jury is not citing all of the evidence. They talked with McQueary under oath. They find his testimony credible and that of those charged (e.g., the VP/head of Campus Police) not credible. Given that assessment do you think that it is unlikely that McQueary talked with police but it did not end up as a formal complaint still in the system, possibly quashed by the VP (Schultz)?

Note that several years of records from the Second Mile are missing starting from after the first reported/recorded incident (about 2000-2003, although at least part of one year was found misfiled).

I am amazed that people cite things like 'no evidence' that he filed anything when there are parties involved that might have had reasons not to have everything filed? It is one thing to note that there are pieces that might not fit from what we have heard. It is another to make a major statement drawing conclusions from a deliberately incomplete record that was not even supposed to be released publicly at this point.

The only individual that has had things look better for him as we got a bit more is McQueary and he has been treated in a significantly different manner in that presentment. Since that presentment is a small subset of the available evidence and testimony that they have, why not try to base your speculations on things consistent with that piece of 'evidence'?
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:28 am

donley2 wrote:
bad hammy wrote:
Halfmiler2 wrote:With over a billion members, the Catholic Church is a awfully big to be a cult.

All churches are cults, period. But that might be a topic for another thread.


I was under the impression this sort of name calling and bashing of major organized religions was not allowed on this forum. But apparently GH does not give a rats.


I "don't give a rats" largely because I tuned out of this thread ages ago. If I saw this in passing, I thought little of it, and in looking at it now, I think little of it. What was stated is completely true, and the conversation didn't wander off into an ugly space.

I realize that "cult" is a word that is frequently used with sinister overtones, but the primary meanings have everything to do with religion and/or being totally devoted to some movement. Heck, if the people who participate here (myself prime among them) aren't a cult, I don't know what is. And I'm proud to belong.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:44 am

No way I read all that so....

Penn State was right in firing Paterno, where they were wrong was playing a football game. They should have forfeited the Nebraska game, instead they sent the message..."no matter what we play football". Yes I know..."you don't punish those innocent players"....in this situation you don't see it as punishment, you see it as lack of needing to win a football game. Lives were altered due to what happened at Penn State. To think a football game is approriate right after learning of that horrendous situation....wrong! Too bad some college kids will miss a football game over this :roll: This isn't about them it's about the victims.

I can see ending the season "after" Nebraska. No need to totally dump the football program for 2011. I do think a bowl game is out of the question, not that any bowl would want them considering the situation.

I do think Sandusky is guilty of everything and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Life in prison...very cool~~~~~
Avante
 
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:31 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby guru » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 am

Avante wrote: I do think a bowl game is out of the question, not that any bowl would want them considering the situation.



I guarantee you folks in Pasadena(not to mention the Big 10 home office)are rooting hard for Wisconsin next week.
guru
 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:41 am

guru wrote:
Avante wrote: I do think a bowl game is out of the question, not that any bowl would want them considering the situation.



I guarantee you folks in Pasadena(not to mention the Big 10 home office)are rooting hard for Wisconsin next week.


Want to add Madison to that list? :D

Two last-minute losses, and still the chance to salvage the season with a Rose Bowl win requiring four more straight wins.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby donley2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:25 am

gh wrote:
donley2 wrote:
bad hammy wrote:
Halfmiler2 wrote:With over a billion members, the Catholic Church is a awfully big to be a cult.

All churches are cults, period. But that might be a topic for another thread.


I was under the impression this sort of name calling and bashing of major organized religions was not allowed on this forum. But apparently GH does not give a rats.


I "don't give a rats" largely because I tuned out of this thread ages ago. If I saw this in passing, I thought little of it, and in looking at it now, I think little of it. What was stated is completely true, and the conversation didn't wander off into an ugly space.

I realize that "cult" is a word that is frequently used with sinister overtones, but the primary meanings have everything to do with religion and/or being totally devoted to some movement. Heck, if the people who participate here (myself prime among them) aren't a cult, I don't know what is. And I'm proud to belong.

I have no reason to get stuck on this issue, but actually do appreciate the fact you responded with your thought process.
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:36 am

guru wrote:
Avante wrote: I do think a bowl game is out of the question, not that any bowl would want them considering the situation.



I guarantee you folks in Pasadena(not to mention the Big 10 home office)are rooting hard for Wisconsin next week.


I hear that. Right now it's the big story and should be. A sad and terrible deal. However, by the time of the Rose Bowl those not really close to the situation will be tired of it. Put Penn State there and here it comes again. The media thrives on that stuff. The football world wants things to be fun.
Avante
 
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:31 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby guru » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:43 pm

In the when it rains, it pours department...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45360259/ ... _football/
guru
 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 am

The VP of student affairs (former) chimes in with some unflattering stuff in a long USA Today piece. This about a campus brawl:

<<.."The coach was literally telling his players that they couldn't cooperate with judicial affairs or they would get kicked off the team. So we were going nowhere in getting to the bottom of things," Triponey said. "I said to the coach, 'This would be so much easier if you would tell your players just to tell the truth.'

"He was livid, and the message to me was, 'I can't do that. They have to play for me and I can't ask them to rat on each other.' The president also chimed in and said, 'Vicky, the coach is right. We can't expect the players to tell the truth.' So that's the environment that was underlying this whole debate about who's in charge."...>>



http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... 51346682/1
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:32 am

The first (of how many?) lawsuits has been filed.

http://jezebel.com/5863933/sandusky-law ... n-30-years
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Sandusky's attorney is mounting a brilliant defense: after he's convicted he can have Sandusky claim he had an idiot for a lawyer!

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/12/13/sandusky’s-lawyer-gives-phone-number-for-gay-sex-line/?tsp=1
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Amendola announced that anyone who believes that Sandusky is a child molester should call “1-800-REALITY.” The folks at Deadspin did, and this is what they discovered:

1-800-REALITY is a gay sex line that offers “the hottest place for triple-x action … Just 99 cents per minute.”

Reality is a bitch.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:43 pm

gh wrote:Sandusky's attorney is mounting a brilliant defense: after he's convicted he can have Sandusky claim he had an idiot for a lawyer!

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/12/13/sandusky’s-lawyer-gives-phone-number-for-gay-sex-line/?tsp=1

Come on man. You're making this up.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Marlow » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm afraid that as this drags out, we're going to get some very bizarre statements from the defense. I feel sorry for any jurors whose intelligence is going to be insulted on a daily basis.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21078
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Pego » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Marlow wrote:I'm afraid that as this drags out, we're going to get some very bizarre statements from the defense. I feel sorry for any jurors whose intelligence is going to be insulted on a daily basis.


I cannot wait for the "expert" testimony for the defense. That ought to be good.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby guru » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:16 pm

guru
 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:50 pm

guru wrote:Paterno reportedly near death.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2012 ... /120121013


What a sad way to go out. Based on what he said in his recent interview with Sally Jenkins, it seems that when he found out about what Sandusky was doing, the moment was just too nig for him.

How Sandusky, 67, allegedly evaded detection by state child services, university administrators, teachers, parents, donors and Paterno himself remains an open question. “I wish I knew,” Paterno said. “I don’t know the answer to that. It’s hard.” Almost as difficult for Paterno to answer is the question of why, after receiving a report in 2002 that Sandusky had abused a boy in the shower of Penn State’s Lasch Football Building, and forwarding it to his superiors, he didn’t follow up more aggressively.

“I didn’t know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was,” he said. “So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn’t work out that way.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html

Here's a man who was one of the most powerful men in the state of Pennsylvania, and at the moment of truth, he didn't have the moral courage to wield it.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:57 pm

aha! a new defense! (you knew the lawyers would find some interesting way to go)

<<...Judge John Cleland granted a motion that sought to put evidence of "histrionic personality disorder" before jurors in Sandusky's child sexual abuse case...>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1xtiDwdZm
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 pm

gh wrote:aha! a new defense! (you knew the lawyers would find some interesting way to go)

<<...Judge John Cleland granted a motion that sought to put evidence of "histrionic personality disorder" before jurors in Sandusky's child sexual abuse case...>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1xtiDwdZm


We all already know the guy is sick, they can call it whatever they want. But he is not insane-Sandusky knew what he was doing was wrong becuase he went to great lenghts to hide it.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby lonewolf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:29 pm

This is not an excuse or explanation. If a "histrionic personality disorder" causes someone to commit the alleged crimes that someone should be permanently removed from polite society.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Pego » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

For what it is worth, I have seen hundreds (perhaps thousands) histrionic patients, none of them was a rapist. They flirt and tease, they do not rape. Sandusky's lawyers must be desperate to even try this strategy.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby DrJay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Guilty almost across the board. Life in the big house for him.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:33 am

Guilty, guilty, guilty....That didn't take long.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 am

Conor Dary wrote:Guilty, guilty, guilty....That didn't take long.


Nor should it have.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Guilty, guilty, guilty....That didn't take long.


Nor should it have.


Absoultely right.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby DrJay » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Sandusky on suicide watch:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... watch?lite

Bad things happen to guys like him in prison.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Pego » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Boo-hoo!
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby gh » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 am

Conor Dary wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Guilty, guilty, guilty....That didn't take long.


Nor should it have.


Absoultely right.


at the risk of sounding like a bleeding-heart softy, allow me to suggest that it's not for us to pass judgment.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:04 am

gh wrote:
at the risk of sounding like a bleeding-heart softy, allow me to suggest that it's not for us to pass judgment.


At the risk of breaking the no things not track until the trials are over, (I am in good company with gh doing it) I truly don't know what this means- " it's not for us to pass judgment"

Nobody here is capable of passing judgement, the jury did that, and if there is a God he will have the final judgement. I think we have a right to give our opinions on what this animal deserves.

He knew it was wrong but decided to rape children and ruin their lives,over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

The juries judgement is life in prison, IMO he got off easy. You don't want to know what I think he deserves. My judgement is that the punishment should fit the crime, that seems pretty reasonable to me.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am

SQUACKEE wrote:

Nobody here is capable of passing judgement, the jury did that, and if there is a God he will have the final judgement.


I can't argue with that. Just glad it is over. I don't think there really is much else to say.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests