Penn State/State Pen [split]

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:47 am

gh wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:One of our local sports radio guys said that the Penn State job has now become radioactive and that they can forget about getting any of the big names they might have had in mind, such as Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

hmm.... the half-life of any gamma-ray exposure on any BCS opening is oh.... 6 months, max?

My guess is that they will have zero problem filling the vacancy with a highly qualified applicant. Allow me to perhaps be the first ever to conflate Milton with big-league football: "better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" (Book 1, Paradise Lost)

Not in this case...this isn't tattoos for memorabilia...

'The NCAA is not going to have to do anything," said a BCS official speaking anonymously because of the sensitive nature of the situation. "They can sit back and watch the house burn down."

Penn State's Board of Trustees tossed the first match Wednesday night, firing its iconic head coach along with the university's president.

Penn State football as we know it is officially over.

It might survive as primordial ooze. The program is more toxic than radiation and its troubles will have nothing to do with losing 30 scholarships over the next three years.

There is no patching Penn State back together. The program will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

"It will be a pretty clean sweep, it appears," former Penn State quarterback Todd Blackledge said on ESPN, even before the firings were announced. "A lot of new faces, new policies, new processes put in place, which will be good in the long run. … It's going to take time."

We're guessing 10 years.'

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... ull.column
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 am

Only some parts are 'broke', even if fundamentally the key part. They also have had a clean slate officially from the NCAA and consistently a high or very high graduation rate. Further, the reputation issues should not touch that whole compliance side of the organization and similar parts.
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 am

According to reports, this was a widely known secret among team staff, so now who's blameless there? Strictly speaking . . . NO one. Every coach must have known what happened and how it was (not) handled. So . . . just as strictly speaking . . . don't they ALL have to go now? :shock:

As I said above, this should be scaring the crap out of people all over the country who are tacitly complicit in all sorts of sleazy stuff, including the knowledge of all the inappropriate relationships between staff and students, which goes on almost EVERYWHERE?!
Marlow

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 am

Marlow wrote:According to reports, this was a widely known secret among team staff, so now who's blameless there? Strictly speaking . . . NO one. Every coach must have known what happened and how it was (not) handled. So . . . just as strictly speaking . . . don't they ALL have to go now? :shock:

As I said above, this should be scaring the crap out of people all over the country who are tacitly complicit in all sorts of sleazy stuff, including the knowledge of all the inappropriate relationships between staff and students, which goes on almost EVERYWHERE?!

Its nice to get the reports of something we should already suspect. 8 years of gossip in a small town????, many, many people knew there was a serial child rapist on the loose and did NOTHING!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:27 am

SQUACKEE wrote:I dont think it was a matter of strenght.There is no smoking gun YET, but I believe Paterno knew EVERYTHING, either from Mcgeary that day

McQueary's 2002 conversation with Paterno would qualify as a smoking gun in my mind.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:32 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:I dont think it was a matter of strenght.There is no smoking gun YET, but I believe Paterno knew EVERYTHING, either from Mcgeary that day

McQueary's 2002 conversation with Paterno would qualify as a smoking gun in my mind.

As with Watergate: what did he know and when did he know it? I believe Paterno must have known it all from the first report. Human nature is such that the guy who saw the first incident would have told Paterno everything, and Paterno would have questioned him further.
Marlow

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:39 am

The journalist (Madden) quoted here wrote about this Sandusky case coming out way back in April. Everything he said then has been proven to be spot on. It was pretty much ignored by media back then.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."
http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandu ... adden.html
Last edited by Cooter Brown on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cooter Brown

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

I see your point although I am looking forward to the day that it is established that Paterno knew every horrible detail.
SQUACKEE

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 am

Cooter Brown wrote:Everything he said then has been proven to be spot on.

"Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors."

This is not spot-on, but if it were true, Penn St. would have to turn out the lights and lock the doors. They'd be . . . done.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:45 am

This morning I saw the first 15 minutes of CNN's American Morning and it was all Penn State and it was also absolutely brutal. That type of press coverage must be the worst nightmare for the board of trustees. One example of how toxic Penn State has become is the fact that the Nebraska chancellor felt the need to distance itself from Penn State because of their upcoming game this weekend.
Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman says his school's participation in Saturday's game at Penn State "in no way condones the conduct that has been alleged or makes a statement about the truth or falsity" of allegations of child sex abuse by a former PSU assistant coach.

Perlman's statement Wednesday night followed the firings of PSU coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier.

Perlman said players from both schools have worked hard to be in a position to play. "I hope all fans will be respectful of the contest between these student-athletes, even as we share in the outrage of what is alleged and the pain suffered by the victims."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ate-issues
jazzcyclist

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 am

Marlow wrote:This is not spot-on, but if it were true, Penn St. would have to turn out the lights and lock the doors. They'd be . . . done.

Read before you quote.

He just said what I quoted yesterday not in April. The columnists are just now looking into it.
Cooter Brown

Postby BisonHurdler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

I see your point although I am looking forward to the day that it is established that Paterno knew every horrible detail.

And it's your attitude, Squack, that most of America unfortunately shares: eager, excited, and hopeful to find out that their most horrid, tawdry, despicable assumptions are correct.
BisonHurdler

Postby cullman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 am

Mere coincidence?
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/11/pen ... other-game

<<...he stayed coach just long enough to become the winningest coach in Division I college football history, a record he achieved two weeks ago, 11 months after said grand jury investigation (see page 8 referencing December 2010 interviews). Had his complicit role come to light last December would Paterno have had a shot at his record-breaking victory? If present outrage would have held, and it should have, then no, he wouldn't have coached at all this season. ...

...On Saturday, Coach Paterno would have set yet another record, for most games coached in a career. He would've passed Amos Alonzo Stagg but instead the two will remain tied at 548 games.>>

cman
cullman

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 am

BisonHurdler wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

And it's your attitude, Squack, that most of America unfortunately shares: eager, excited, and hopeful to find out that their most horrid, tawdry, despicable assumptions are correct.

The ONLY thing I desire is truth and justice for the victims, what the hell do you want?!
SQUACKEE

Postby BisonHurdler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 am

SQUACKEE wrote:[
The ONLY thing I desire is truth and justice for the victims, what the hell do you want?!

I'd love the same. I'm just confused as to why you look forward to hearing that Joe Paterno knew every horrible detail and apparently let it all go on under his watch. In fact, I would hope that any rational person would want to find out the opposite, that Paterno knew much less than we give him credit for (as unlikely as that may be), which would at least give the impression that he was a somewhat decent human being after all.

You (from the language in your post, at least) as well as everyone else have been taking great joy in hoping that Paterno, in fact, intentionally covered up Sandusky's atrocious crimes for his own agenda. Perhaps you worded your post erroneously, but "looking forward to the day that it is established that Paterno knew every horrible detail" has nothing to do with easing victims' suffering and everything to do with taking joy in watching someone else burn.
BisonHurdler

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:40 am

I have seen no evidence of any one taking pleasure in PS's downfall, just disgust.

As for Paterno, it is pretty obvious he knew plenty, but was too delusional, Matt Millen's word last night, and self absorbed to do anything about it.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby mojo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 am

Saw on CNN that the coach who witnessed the rape and did nothing will be coaching this weekend's game and has not resigned nor been asked to thus far. WTF?
mojo

Postby BisonHurdler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:47 am

Conor Dary wrote:I have seen no evidence of any one taking pleasure in PS's downfall, just disgust.

As for Paterno, it is pretty obvious he knew plenty, but was too delusional, Matt Millen's word last night, and self absorbed to do anything about it.

Again, speculation.

I'm not a Paterno apologist, and I never have been. But what is most obvious is that 99% of us have a very poor understanding of just what kind of information was passed up the chain of command, and how it was handled.
BisonHurdler

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 am

No humor from Scott Ostler today. His lead:

<<Many folks in the media have been asking: What will this terrible scandal do to Joe Paterno's legacy?

Folks, this is Joe Paterno's legacy.

E-mails jump into my inbox defending Paterno, many of them from Pennsylvania, pointing out his won-lost record, his years of service and his reputation.

Wonderful. Still, from now on when I think of Paterno, I won't think of his 400-and-whatever wins or his spotless (until now) program.

I won't remember what Paterno did, but what he didn't do. What he didn't do is what got him fired Wednesday by the Penn State board of trustees.

Firing Joe Paterno doesn't fix everything, but it's a great start...>>

And his conclusion:

<<Several e-mailers demand, "Have you ever heard of due process?"

The due process I've heard of involves a justice system and a legal trial. Paterno faces no legal action or charge. Legally, his rear end is covered.

But there was no trial when Paterno was sainted, no jury declared him one of the noblest and finest college coaches of all time. The public decided.

It's the same deal on the flip side. We'll take the facts and form them into our personal legacy of Joe Paterno.>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1dKGJgVv4
gh

Postby BisonHurdler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:50 am

mojo wrote:Saw on CNN that the coach who witnessed the rape and did nothing will be coaching this weekend's game and has not resigned nor been asked to thus far. WTF?

Correct, and this makes it quite clear that the board of trustee's decision last night had less to do with cleaning up the program and much more to do with PR damage control.

For those keeping score at home, the guy who saw Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy and failed to report it to the police still has his job. The guy who only heard about his friend's awful shower activities from a second hand source - but reported it to the head of the university police department nonetheless - was immediately terminated.
BisonHurdler

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 am

BisonHurdler wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:[

I'd love the same. I'm just confused as to why you look forward to hearing that Joe Paterno knew every horrible detail and apparently let it all go on under his watch. In fact, I would hope that any rational person would want to find out the opposite, that Paterno knew much less than we give him credit for (as unlikely as that may be), which would at least give the impression that he was a somewhat decent human being after all.

You (from the language in your post, at least) as well as everyone else have been taking great joy in hoping that Paterno, in fact, intentionally covered up Sandusky's atrocious crimes for his own agenda. Perhaps you worded your post erroneously, but "looking forward to the day that it is established that Paterno knew every horrible detail" has nothing to do with easing victims' suffering and everything to do with taking joy in watching someone else burn.

It's terrible to be completely mis-understood, maybe my fault? I am 99.99999% sure that Paterno knew everything that Sandusky did and then enabled the rapes to continue, either by design or extreme negligence. Given this, why would I not look forward to the truth being revealed?
SQUACKEE

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 am

Did anybody bring this up earlier? What happened to the Sandusky prosecutor?

<<One of the questions surrounding the sex-abuse case against Jerry Sandusky is why a former district attorney chose not to prosecute the then-Penn State assistant coach in 1998 after reports surfaced that he had inappropriate interactions with a boy.

The answer is unknowable because of an unsolved mystery: What happened to Ray Gricar, the Centre County, Pa., district attorney?....>>

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sport ... stery.html
gh

Postby BisonHurdler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 am

gh wrote:Did anybody bring this up earlier? What happened to the Sandusky prosecutor?

<<One of the questions surrounding the sex-abuse case against Jerry Sandusky is why a former district attorney chose not to prosecute the then-Penn State assistant coach in 1998 after reports surfaced that he had inappropriate interactions with a boy.

The answer is unknowable because of an unsolved mystery: What happened to Ray Gricar, the Centre County, Pa., district attorney?....>>

Not sure if it was brought up on this site, but it has been elsewhere obviously, and my former roommate and I were discussing it last week when this story was initially breaking. We both sorta just "joked" about it at first, but the more we discussed what we remembered from the case at the time, the more disturbing it all became.
BisonHurdler

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 am

I saw that yesterday, but Paterno was dominating the news yesterday. I suspect it will get a lot more attention soon. This whole story will only get more sordid.

I wouldn't be surprised their game with Nebraska is forfeited Saturday...
Conor Dary

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 am

BisonHurdler wrote:Correct, and this makes it quite clear that the board of trustee's decision last night had less to do with cleaning up the program and much more to do with PR damage control.

For those keeping score at home, the guy who saw Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy and failed to report it to the police still has his job. The guy who only heard about his friend's awful shower activities from a second hand source - but reported it to the head of the university police department nonetheless - was immediately terminated.

If it was up to you, what should have happened to all invovled so far? Is Paterno coaching, is the President, presiding, Is the athletic director, directing?
SQUACKEE

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 am

BisonHurdler wrote:
mojo wrote:Saw on CNN that the coach who witnessed the rape and did nothing will be coaching this weekend's game and has not resigned nor been asked to thus far. WTF?

Correct, and this makes it quite clear that the board of trustee's decision last night had less to do with cleaning up the program and much more to do with PR damage control.

I tried to belabor this point (among others) ad nauseum yesterday. Everyone assumes that what is known now was known in full by Joe and he deliberately covered it up. I suspect he knew far less than the media is portraying and that the real culprit here is McQueary (excluding the criminal Sandusky), who, coincidentally, appears to be unscathed. We live in a society now driven by a media of sensationalism and the story that Joe Paterno knew all the sordid details fills the insatiable need of many.

If Joe did cover up for some reason for his own personal vain agenda, then maybe he deserves the shame, but I am willing to wait until all is known. I don't believe McQueary has been forthright in all that is being told now. I am willing to bet that will come out at a later time.

If some of the other reports are true, that many in the community knew? There is a hell of a lot more people that share a huge amount of blame than just those the media is attacking.

We are definitely a minority.
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 am

"Penn State Coaches History Of Behaving Badly"

<<Penn State football fans have been asked to wear blue to Saturday's football game against Nebraska to show support for "victims of child abuse worldwide." Home crowds in Happy Valley usually dress in white, like a church choir.

The request, posted on the team's Facebook page, seems as misguided as the long-standing presumptions of Penn State purity. When the athletic department employed a sexual-morality cop, it wasn't the type who would dial 911 after witnessing a young boy being assaulted in a locker-room shower.

It was the women's basketball coach, Rene Portland, who kept her job for 27 years despite a well-established hostility to lesbian players. Joe Paterno, then serving as both football coach and athletic director, hired Portland in 1980 and said on more than one occasion that he considered her the best coach he had brought to the school..>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1dKLuGcRM
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 am

Conor Dary wrote:I wouldn't be surprised their game with Nebraska is forfeited Saturday...

That's what I was hinting to above. The number of coaches who are tacitly complicit (had knowledge) has to be 'all'.

End of season? :shock:
Marlow

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

gh wrote:Did anybody bring this up earlier? What happened to the Sandusky prosecutor?

So please gh, elaborate on what you are inferring by this? I personally know a DA in my locale and he receives threats frequently and has a number of times had to have guards at his house and protection for his family for threats they receive. I am sure anyone in this line of work has to deal with issues like this.

Is someone now going to try and tie Sandusky, Penn State and Joe Paterno to this? This is getting ludicrous!
odelltrclan

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:28 am

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I wouldn't be surprised their game with Nebraska is forfeited Saturday...

That's what I was hinting to above. The number of coaches who are tacitly complicit (had knowledge) has to be 'all'.

End of season? :shock:

Of course, all the coaches know! Everyone here, who thinks they could keep the fact that an x-coach was raping a 10 year old in the teams locker room, quiet for 8 years.......RAISE YOUR HAND!
SQUACKEE

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 am

odelltrclan wrote:

So please gh, elaborate on what you are inferring by this? I personally know a DA in my locale and he receives threats frequently and has a number of times had to have guards at his house and protection for his family for threats they receive. I am sure anyone in this line of work has to deal with issues like this.

Is someone now going to try and tie Sandusky, Penn State and Joe Paterno to this? This is getting ludicrous!

I'm not inferring anything (I'm not a conspiracy wacko). I was attempting to answer a question that surely has to be on everybody's mind: why didn't Sandusky get prosecuted before? This clarifies that the original prosecutor wasn't available. Nothing more.
gh

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

gh wrote:I'm not inferring anything (I'm not a conspiracy wacko). I was attempting to answer a question that surely has to be on everybody's mind: why didn't Sandusky get prosecuted before? This clarifies that the original prosecutor wasn't available. Nothing more.

Ok, sorry. I am just getting so sick of all of this. Too many people are acting like Paterno is the rapist and knew every sordid detail and was actually helping his buddy satisfy his fetish. The court of public opinion is destroying this guy and he has no real means to defend himself.

No one knows what McQueary spoke to Paterno and McQueary himself may not even recall all the details as this happened ONLY nearly a decade ago. McQueary should have 1. Stopped the act while it was happening 2. beat the shit out of Sandusky or let him know to turn himself in immediately to police or he would, and 3. Going to the police anyway and not being a wuss and trying to rely on anything beyond himself. What the hell did his father tell him?
odelltrclan

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 am

I mentioned this on page one of the thread.

viewtopic.php?p=734053#p734053
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:05 am

Actually we know quite a bit from reading the grand jury report, Paterno was morally blind and how anyone could forget an incident like that even after 10 years, isn't too hard to believe.

PS If are you are sick of it now, I suspect it will be a lot worse soon.
Conor Dary

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:07 am

Conor Dary wrote:PS If are you are sick of it now, I suspect it will be a lot worse soon.

Gotcha! :wink:
odelltrclan

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Of course, all the coaches know! Everyone here, who thinks they could keep the fact that an x-coach was raping a 10 year old in the teams locker room, quiet for 8 years.......RAISE YOUR HAND!

At least one of our posters seems to believe this.

Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe. - Euripides
jazzcyclist

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:20 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:Of course, all the coaches know! Everyone here, who thinks they could keep the fact that an x-coach was raping a 10 year old in the teams locker room, quiet for 8 years.......RAISE YOUR HAND!

At least one of our posters seems to believe this.

I understand, the whole thing is really ugly but it is what it is. Can I honestly say I would have done things differently then Mcgeary? I hope so, not sure. I may have been so repulsed that I would leave the shower area and confided in and trust the coach, maybe. I can not believe that after finding out the guy I say raping a 10 year old got away with it, that I wouldnt go to the cops, that is not possible!
SQUACKEE

Postby mojo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 am

Squack-I KNOW you would have done something right then and there.

No decent human being would just walk away. Think about it guys! You see a child being raped and you would just leave? Not at the very least phone 911? What if it was a woman?(and you could tell it was not consensual?)

Walking away was to me almost as bad as the crime itself.

And thank you SQUACK for speaking up for the victims. They really seem to be lost in all this.

This won't end for years with all the civil lawsuits that will come out of it-the university will have to pay out millions and millions-and so they should.
Last edited by mojo on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:30 am

jazzcyclist wrote:At least one of our posters seems to believe this.

Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe. - Euripides

Euripides is posting here? What's his user ID??
bad hammy

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am

In the quasi-military structure that is a big-time football program, with rigid chains of command, I can see (which isn't the same as condone) why somebody's first reaction would be to run it by a higher-up rather than go outside the organization. And I can see Paterno's first reaction being,"I have subordinates who handle this kind of thing."

Unfortunately, once that has happened, the "thin blue line" cone of silence descends and nobody wants to be the one to violate the code (even if the crime, as it was in this case, was far worse than a code violation).
gh

PreviousNext