what's the "Great American Novel"?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: what's the "Great American Novel"?

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

bambam wrote:
Per Andersen wrote:How about that ending? "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past"

Best closing line of any book I've ever read.

I'll stick with Sydney Carton's closer in A Tale of Two Cities.
dukehjsteve

Postby KDFINE » Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Tandfman. I read Catch 22 while in Army Radio-Teletype school nearly 43 years ago and am ready to re-read it.
KDFINE

Postby tandfman » Wed May 22, 2013 4:08 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
bambam wrote:
Per Andersen wrote:How about that ending? "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past"

Best closing line of any book I've ever read.

I'll stick with Sydney Carton's closer in A Tale of Two Cities.

No I say I'm just like Marlow in that no I have not yet gotten around to reading Ulysses and so no I shouldn't be comparing its closing line to those of the others that have been mentionied and no I won't do that because if it's wrong to do that not having read the entire book then no I won't do it and I'm not doing it no I won't no.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed May 22, 2013 4:21 pm

tandfman wrote:No I say I'm just like Marlow in that no I have not yet gotten around to reading Ulysses and so no I shouldn't be comparing its closing line to those of the others that have been mentionied and no I won't do that because if it's wrong to do that not having read the entire book then no I won't do it and I'm not doing it no I won't no.

:shock: Who are you and what have you done with tandfman??!! :D
Marlow

Postby Vielleicht » Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Marlow wrote:
Per Andersen wrote:One of Faulkner's. I ll go with "Light in August"

or As I Lay Dying.

«The Sound and the Fury» gets my vote as the best Faulkner novel. :)
Vielleicht

Postby bambam » Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 am

tandfman wrote:No I say I'm just like Marlow in that no I have not yet gotten around to reading Ulysses and so no I shouldn't be comparing its closing line to those of the others that have been mentionied and no I won't do that because if it's wrong to do that not having read the entire book then no I won't do it and I'm not doing it no I won't no.

So what's the closing line of Joyce's other masterpiece Finnegan's Wake - and no, I haven't tried to read that book, which is a magnitude more difficult than Ulysses apparently.

One hint here, this is somewhat of a trick question.
bambam

Postby tandfman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 am

Not a clue. I've read some of Dubliners, and bits and pieces of Ulysses (including the end, of course), but I've never even thought to crack open Finnegan's Wake.
tandfman

Postby Per Andersen » Thu May 23, 2013 1:16 pm

bambam wrote:

So what's the closing line of Joyce's other masterpiece Finnegan's Wake - and no, I haven't tried to read that book, which is a magnitude more difficult than Ulysses apparently.

One hint here, this is somewhat of a trick question.

Trick question because the incomplete ending (along the....) continues in the first sentence of the book ...riverrun. The river, of course, being Liffey.

No, I haven't really read "the Wake" either. Too much!
Per Andersen

Postby bambam » Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Per Andersen wrote:Trick question because the incomplete ending (along the....) continues in the first sentence of the book ...riverrun. The river, of course, being Liffey.

No, I haven't really read "the Wake" either. Too much!

Very nice, Per. Why does it not surprise me that you got it right? Its a circular novel - with no real ending or beginning. The last sentence is a fragment and the ending of the sentence is the first sentence (fragment) of the novel. Something like "Away alone again at last along the / riverun."
bambam

Postby Brian » Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 pm

bad hammy wrote:Interesting, my first thought was To Kill a Mockingbird. I see a pattern developing . . .

Gets my vote.

A situation and setting extremely significant to the history of this country.

No giggles, but Mitchell's Gone With The Wind would meet this particular criteria, too.
Brian

Previous