Columnist looks at "trolls" who are anti-Armstrong

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Columnist looks at "trolls" who are anti-Armstrong

Postby DrJay » Sun May 29, 2011 6:25 am

French climbers (and thus, probably others) were using amphetamines on big peaks in the 1950s. See "Aconcagua South Face" by Rene Ferlet. He was quite casual in his descriptions of taking them high on the 10,000' face, as casual as we'd describe taking a few Advil today.
DrJay

Postby Dutra » Sun May 29, 2011 7:45 am

Apparently because we have an athlete we're supposed to like, we can come up with rationalizations. Had we had an athlete we're supposed to dislike, it would be hang em high.

While I'm not particularly against the use of PEDs, there are standards here which appear that there's a good chance were broken whether anyone received an advantage or not. If this were not the problem that some are trying to downplay then it would be no issue for the athletes and they could simply state that they took them and move on. Instead we have athletes denying usage despite all common sense analysis to the contrary and couching their words in a way to avoid being caught whether it be legally or public opinion.
Dutra

Postby Pego » Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 am

DrJay wrote:French climbers (and thus, probably others) were using amphetamines on big peaks in the 1950s.

Swiss mountaineers (guides, rescuers) have traditionally used strychnine. They would start with a low dose, progressively increasing it beyond a standard lethal dose.
Pego

Postby kuha » Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 am

bambam wrote:Because of my Olympic interest I get asked to do some other stuff, and recently finished a book called Historical Dictionary of Cycling. Here are the opening paragraphs for the entry on doping, which gives an outline for how far back this goes:

Thanks. This is excellent and sobering stuff. Makes it a bit hard to pretend that nailing one guy to the wall now is going to solve much of anything. I'm all for guilt being punished, etc., but what we're really talking about here is not primarily a personal failing, but something much bigger.
kuha

Postby DrJay » Sun May 29, 2011 9:39 pm

I hear Italian beef is pretty good right now, and in demand the last three weeks....
DrJay

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:07 am

Armstrong wants an apology from "60 Minutes".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... 69597.html
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 am

I think 60 Minutes is on the edge of losing its credibility on this one in a manner that was unnecessary:

[from link above]
""60 Minutes" also reported that the UCI officials brokered a meeting involving Armstrong and Saugy's World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited lab, which tested the Swiss race samples.

Saugy told the Swiss daily Neue Zurcher Zeitung last week that he met with Armstrong and then-U.S. Postal team manager Johan Bruyneel, but not in Lausanne as Hamilton claimed and unconnected to a suspicious test result."

Why [did 60 Minutes] put in something that they are not sure of and have everyone say 'what else is not right'. This situation presents itself in spades because the primary discussants are two individuals who have been 'loose with the truth' on this score for a long time. It lets Armstrong keep with his same strategy without having to dodge and weave at all. :( :x

Several have cited Canseco and how people did not believe him. There is a fundamental difference in that he did not deny for years having used PEDs even after having tested positive. Rather he stated his and implicated others initially.
26mi235

Postby Dutra » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 am

Poor Lance
Dutra

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 am

26mi235 wrote:Several have cited Canseco and how people did not believe him. There is a fundamental difference in that he did not deny for years having used PEDs even after having tested positive. Rather he stated his and implicated others initially.

What about Andreu and Hincapie?
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:15 pm

Hincapie did not say anything; they have you taking their word for it that he said some things and someone broke the law by passing it on. This is exactly the form of content that gets its credibility diminished by having one of their other pieces 'shown' to be wrong.

I think that they thought they had to many many things, and by reaching too far they may have taken a hit on the credibility, especially if they have to publicly retract something. I think it was an unfortunate choice of strategy. I am not sure have the typical person will view this, since I cannot put myself in that role because I know too much to be 'typical' in this sense.

Now 'everyone' will say -- I guess I will wait until the Feds do something and then if they do not have the smoking gun for real I am all for Lance... [I guess that I am saying that I have gone more and more to the Lance is guilty as well as a self-centered individual who can be a jerk. I have never wanted to 'go meet him', although there are various opportunities because Trek is just down the road. Jazz, you are probably one reason for my deepening skepticism.]
26mi235

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:18 pm

It strikes me more of Saugy bowing to pressures being exerted on him from outside forces. He tells 60 minutes one thing (probably the truth) and is now facing problems of his own. Why would a lab director meet with Lance and his coach in an approximate time to when this was all supposed to have gone down? Still way too odd. My guess is the Saugy has felt some heat he did not expect and is trying to wiggle his way out of it the best he can.
odelltrclan

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:29 am

There are several relevant pieces on Cyclingnews.com, especially:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vroomen-on-doping-the-media-basso-and-schleck

"Gerard Vroomen has never shied away from the discussion on doping and in two recent blog posts on his personal website he raised issues over the media’s reporting of the issue. After a recent restructure at Cervelo, in which he stepped down from his position as CEO, the former manager of the Cervelo TestTeam was quick to point that the views posted on his blog were his alone but talked openly about his feelings on Ivan Basso, Fränk Shleck and the journalistic endeavour into doping."...

Vrooman is the co-founder of the team that then had Basso win the Giro and Shleck linked to Operation Puerto.
26mi235

Lance Armstrong. Usain Bolt, "Hussein Obama II" stripped

Postby MattMarriott » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 am

Lance Armstrong. Usain Bolt, "Hussein Obama II" accused and stripped - first of six acts June 29 2012

Last Prophet predicted 2004 that the greatest cycling champion ever, Lance Armstrong would be executed the same way as Marion Jones:
- first: falsely accused of doping, as may others before, as oart of the agenda behind the illuminati doping conspiracy; (1)
- second: all major TITLES erased from the official medals table, which is also part of the "Rewrite History" agenda pushed to the utter limits.

In 2007 Last Prophet explained that Usain Bolt would be executed the same way as Lance Armstrong.
In 2008 after the Usain Bolt set his world records in Beijing Olympics, Last Prophet explained that Usain Bolt became the fastest man ever AND FOREVER.

Immediately after the illuminati were forced to use plan B for the 2008 elections and have "Obama" play counterfeit president and have him detonate as suicide bomber (like Nixon) later,

Last Prophet explained that illuminati actor "Obama" would be executed the same way (2) as the two greatest sports champions ever, Armstrong and Bolt:
- accused of all sort of crimes (forging birth certificazte; murdering his "granny", etc);
- stripped of his title, i.e. Hillary Clinton declared 44th president and successor of GW Bush.

All this part also of the supervised ethnic civil war script, to be launched together with the collapse of banks and anihilation of savings and pension funds of human cattle.

The first of these six acts (accusation, titles stripping of Armstrong. Bolt and "Obama") timely took place (3) on June 29, 2012, hours before the start of the Tour de France. The

Notes
(1) http://doping-conspiracy.blogspot.pt/20 ... ll-be.html
(2) http://rewrite-history.blogspot.pt/2009 ... nia-v.html
MattMarriott

Re: Lance Armstrong. Usain Bolt, "Hussein Obama II" stripped

Postby MattMarriott » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:17 am

Notes (continued)
The next five acts won't take as long as the first did. Actually they are all scheduled for 2012.
(3) Lance Armstrong to face charges from U.S. Anti-Doping Agency
June 29, 2012
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/o ... igs30.html
MattMarriott

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:31 am

Matt, you're the best.
You are the sunshine of my life.
You are the wind beneath my wings
You are the . . . well. you get the picture.

I love you, man! 8-)
Marlow

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:44 am

Where are the Men In The White Suits when you need them ?!
dukehjsteve

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:58 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Where are the Men In The White Suits when you need them ?!

Maybe they are watching him, with a computer in his rubber room. This could be part of the therapy. Post nonsense here, instead of going out and doing real damage.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:27 am

Yo Matt, if you think your Prophet is impressive for coming up with "Lance Armstrong to face charges from U.S. Anti-Doping Agency", then I think you should upgrade to a A standard guy!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome Matt!
Dutra5

Postby uakari » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:41 am

i never understood why the obamaphobes are so obsessed with the "hussein" part of his name, when "barack" is a perfectly good arab name as well...
uakari

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm

uakari wrote:i never understood why the obamaphobes are so obsessed with the "hussein" part of his name, when "barack" is a perfectly good arab name as well...

Saddam Hussein is your answer.
Pego

Postby trevorp » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:01 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Where are the Men In The White Suits when you need them ?!

I think what they wear is less important that what they've loaded the hypodermics with.
trevorp

Postby MattMarriott » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:03 pm

the fact that nobody but LAST PROPHET exposed the doping conspiracy proves that beasts are marked by the BEAST.

The two most important pages of the short story of the web ...
#1 result of this interesting google search of four words
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=basic+facts+about+God
MattMarriott

Postby Marlow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Fascinating. Delusional paranoid mumbo-jumbo, but fascinating.
I sincerely wonder how Matt carries on in the real world, and, after the Colorado tragedy, why people aren't genuinely worried about him. I know I am. :(
Bot . . . intentional troll . . . fraternity hazing carried on way too far?
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:31 pm

After more than a decade of outrunning accusations that he had doped during his celebrated cycling career, Lance Armstrong, one of the best-known and accomplished athletes in recent history, surrendered on Thursday, etching a dark mark on his legacy by ending his fight against charges that he used performance-enhancing drugs.

His decision means he will almost certainly be stripped of his seven Tour titles, the bronze medal he won at the 2000 Olympics and all other titles, awards and money he won from August 1998 on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/sport ... itles.html
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Too bad USADA doesn't have jurisdiction over the NFL, the NBA and MLB.
jazzcyclist

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Bet your horse money that his LiveStrong Foundation will go bust before the next Tour de France. The existence of that foundation is completely predicated upon the fame he gained from his exploits at the Tour de France. Without his victories, there would not have been a LiveStrong Foundation.

Now, once we are done with what could very well be the single biggest redistribution of awards (and money) ever to take place in the history of sport, all that remains of his legacy and career record will be even far worse than what remains of Marion Jones'. Her career record and awards, up to the summer of 2000 (including her 1997 and '99 World Championships and her PRs of 10.65A, 21.62, 49.59 and 20.8 relay leg), still remain intact. Everything Lance has, right up to the beginning of 1999, is not even a footnote compared to what remains of hers. Hardly anyone spoke of him before the 1999 Tour.

Who finished 2nd in each of the 4 AP polls that Lance won for Male Athlete of the Year? Venus Williams was 2nd to Marion in the 2000 Female Athlete of the Year poll. How will they deal with Lance?
CookyMonzta

Postby Tuariki » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:14 am

It will be interesting to see id the UCI tells USADA to go take a flying jump.

I am totally opposed to drugs and if Armstrong is guilty then I hope he gets his just desserts. However, Armstrong has probably been tested more times than any athlete alive and has always tested clean. US federal authorities decided they didn't have any evidence to charge him.

USADA has not put up a skerrick of indisputable evidence. Landis is not evidence. I am totally unsurprised that Armstrong has said to USADA "Go and F%$* your arbitration". Why should Armstrong spend millions trying to keep on defending himself?

So, if he is guilty then he deserves to go down. But USADA needs to front up with the evidence. Unfortunately, USADA is a typical example of how the USA justice system often works. Iraq had weapons of mass destruction because the US said so. And because the US has the military might and power it can do what it did. But not a skerrick of evidence. The USADA also has the might and power it seems to push a case, even if the real USADA motive is politics or publicity as Judge Sparks hinted at.

"USADA's conduct raises serious questions about whether its real interest in charging Armstrong is to combat doping, or if it is acting according to less noble motives,'' such as politics or publicity, U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks wrote.
Tuariki

Postby Gabriella » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:38 am

At last, we are near to some justice. This arrogant cheat looks to finally get his just desserts.

The only reason he has made the decision not to fight is to avoid any formal prosecution and conviction of doping; he wants to avoid the humiliation.

A great quote from a UK journalist:

"The most important lesson of the Lance Armstrong story, though, is the hardest to prepare for and guard against: our own gullibility and willing complicity. What is astounding and disturbing is that one man – a dominant personality as well as a dominant athlete – was able to enforce his will, isolate, bully and silence his doubters and critics, and win the world's top cycling event year after year and make people believe in him, despite there being, apparently, dozens of witnesses to its utter phoniness. Too many people had too much invested in the Lance Armstrong story, and the power of persuasion followed the money.

The moral of the story is that if a cyclist looks too good to be true, then he probably is. But if a cyclist looks too good to be true and has an entourage of lawyers, press flaks, doctors and bodyguards, then he definitely is."
Gabriella

Postby pakillo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:30 am

quote "USADA chief executive Travis Tygart said Armstrong would be hit with a lifetime ban on Friday and planned to strip him of the seven Tour de France titles he won from 1999-2005."

The only one who should be banned for life are those who were silent when they were supposed to bust all the cheats, all anti-doping officials from that time, period.
pakillo

Postby guru » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 am

Tuariki wrote: US federal authorities decided they didn't have any evidence to charge him.

That's simply not true, and had nothing to do with the decision of U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte to suddenly close the case last winter.
guru

Postby catson52 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 am

A great write up, bambam; though I am no expert on cycling, it brought back memories of the sport 40-50 years ago. Any views on Charly Gaul, the great Luxembourger from the 50s?
catson52

Postby MattMarriott » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:39 am

04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-e ... ollow.html

Six acts
Lance Armstrong accused 29 June 2012 - stripped of his Tour de France titles ?
Usain Bolt accused ? - stripped of his Olympics and World titles ?
"Hussein Obama II" accused ? - stripped of his 44th presidential title ?

August 24, 2012 - second act out of six - Lance Armstrong stripped of his Tour de France Titles
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... d-for-life
MattMarriott

Postby j-a-m » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:22 am

Congratulations to Beloki, Kloeden, Basso, Zuelle for winning their first Tour? And to Ullrich for winning three additional Tours? And correct me if I'm wrong, the only two of those five who never tested positive are Beloki and Kloeden?
j-a-m

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:47 am

j-a-m wrote:Congratulations to Beloki, Kloeden, Basso, Zuelle for winning their first Tour? And to Ullrich for winning three additional Tours? And correct me if I'm wrong, the only two of those five who never tested positive are Beloki and Kloeden?

Yeah but, Beloki's career ended prematurely in that horrific crash on the way to Gap in the 2003 Tour and there's too much smoke surrounding Kloden for there not to be some fire too.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:55 am

Tuariki wrote:It will be interesting to see id the UCI tells USADA to go take a flying jump.

I am totally opposed to drugs and if Armstrong is guilty then I hope he gets his just desserts. However, Armstrong has probably been tested more times than any athlete alive and has always tested clean. US federal authorities decided they didn't have any evidence to charge him.

There's no doubt in my mind that Armstrong doped along with the rest of his teammates and the entire peleton, but I think these matters are better left to the UCI. Was USADA granted the authority to get involved in such matters or did they arrogate themselves this power in the same manner that the NCAA arrogated itself the power to get involved with criminal justice matters involving Penn State?
jazzcyclist

Postby MattMarriott » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:35 am

Lance Armstrong, Usain Bolt,"Hussein Obama II" accused and stripped: first of 6 acts June 29 2012, next 5 to follow in 2012

Lance Armstrong. Usain Bolt, "Hussein Obama II" accused and stripped - first of six acts June 29 2012

Last Prophet predicted 2004 that the greatest cycling champion ever, Lance Armstrong, would be executed the same way as Marion Jones:
- first: falsely accused of doping, as many others before, part of the agenda behind the illuminati doping conspiracy; (1)
- second: all major TITLES erased from the official medals table, which is also part of the "Rewrite History" agenda pushed to the utter limits.

In 2007 Last Prophet explained that Usain Bolt would be executed the same way as Lance Armstrong.
In 2008 after Usain Bolt set his world records at the Beijing Olympics, Last Prophet explained that Usain Bolt became the fastest man ever AND FOREVER.

Last Prophet explained immediately after the illuminati were forced to use plan B for the 2008 "election" and have "Obama" play counterfeit president and have him detonate as fake suicide bomber (like Nixon) later, that illuminati actor "Obama" would be executed the same way (2) as the two greatest sports champions ever, Armstrong and Bolt:
- accused of all sort of crimes (forging birth certificate; murdering "granny", etc);
- stripped of his title, with Hillary Clinton declared 44th president and successor of GW Bush.

All this part also of the supervised ethnic civil war script, to be launched together with the collapse of banks and anihilation of savings and pension funds of the human cattle.

The first of these six acts (accusation, titles stripping of Armstrong, Bolt and "Obama") timely took place (3) on June 29, 2012, hours before the start of the Tour de France.
The next five acts won't take as long as the first did. Actually they are all scheduled for 2012.

Notes
(1) http://doping-conspiracy.blogspot.pt/20 ... ll-be.html
(2) http://rewrite-history.blogspot.pt/2009 ... nia-v.html
(3) Lance Armstrong to face charges from U.S. Anti-Doping Agency
June 29, 2012
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/o ... igs30.html

In
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47306
MattMarriott

Postby guru » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:36 am

jazzcyclist wrote: Was USADA granted the authority to get involved in such matters...?

Yes, because as the infamous 1984 pre-Olympic USOC "warnings" showed(linked to my profile here), sport governing bodies have a vested interest to not pursue - if not flat cover up - doping issues.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:40 am

guru wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: Was USADA granted the authority to get involved in such matters...?

Yes, because as the infamous 1984 pre-Olympic USOC "warnings" showed(linked to my profile here), sport governing bodies have a vested interest to not pursue - if not flat cover up - doping issues.

I understand the conflict of interest of governing bodies, but does that mean that USADA has the authority to strip Peyton Manning of his MVP's if it found cause? Who gave USADA this power?
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:45 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
guru wrote:

I understand the conflict of interest of governing bodies, but does that mean that USADA has the authority to strip Peyton Manning of his MVP's if it found cause? Who gave USADA this power?

No, because the NFL does not fall under USADA's purview as ""the official anti-doping agency for Olympic, Pan American and Paralympic sport in the United States." It was created in 2000 because the USOC was under increasing pressure due to conflict of interest credibility issues
guru

PreviousNext