oh man, it's time to buy ANOTHER iPhone?!

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: oh man, it's time to buy ANOTHER iPhone?!

Postby gm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

tandfman wrote:I wouldn't describe the BlackBerry's stopwatch function as great. Its operation is so unlike that of a nromal stopwatch that half of the time, I mess things up when I try to use it by pressing the wrong button at the wrong time.

Ahhhh, but do you have the new 9930?
gm

Postby gh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:27 pm

hoot mon!

<<Scottish iPhone users have found themselves lost in translation as the gadget's new voice recognition app can't understand their accent....>>

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1bwAwdSJP
gh

Postby kuha » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Don't know what it "means" overall, but my 3 month old iPhone4 died today for no obvious reason at all. Was on the (other) phone with them for more than an hour, with no real result, so need to go back to the Apple store... Sheesh...
kuha

Postby gm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 pm

kuha wrote:Don't know what it "means" overall, but my 3 month old iPhone4 died today for no obvious reason at all. Was on the (other) phone with them for more than an hour, with no real result, so need to go back to the Apple store... Sheesh...

That's not possible. They just work.
gm

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

gm wrote:They just work.

Except when the battery runs out of juice prematurely.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/3 ... laints/?hp
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 pm

I've had mine 10 days. Noticed my first (apparent) battery problem today. Charged it last night and it was down to 20% by 11:00am with very little use. Maybe the charger wasn't working, but I'm pretty sure it was.
DrJay

Postby gh » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 am

another reason to go iPhone

<<...In the era of the personal computer, Apple Inc.'s machines were often less vulnerable to security threats than the alternatives. That may also be the case with the rise of smart phones.

Google Inc.'s Android operating system for mobile devices has had an almost sixfold increase in threats such as spyware and viruses since July, according to Juniper Networks Inc. That may increase the perception that Apple devices are safer than smart phones and tablets that run on Android, said Juniper.

"You're not going to see nearly the number of infections on Apple as you see on Android," said...>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1dzgosJKh
gh

Postby tandfman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:36 am

A great iPhone app story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/nyreg ... -push.html

Thief steals an iPhone 4. Victim calls the police.
When Officer Garland and Sgt. Richard Coan arrived, they found the woman crying, but Mr. Garland reassured her. “I told her when I walked in, ‘I’m going to find your iPhone,’ ” he said.

The ace up the sleeve of Officer Garland, an avid Apple consumer — he and his wife own iPhones, iPads and Macintosh computers — was something called “Find My iPhone,” a free 5.4-megabyte piece of software, or app, that he had on the iPhone in his pocket.

Officer pushes the right button, tracks down the phone and the thief, returns the former and arrests the latter.
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

tandfman

Postby jamboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm

The iphone is so yesterday. I could name 10 android phones that are superior to the iphone in every way.
jamboy

Postby Marlow » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:58 am

jamboy wrote:The iphone is so yesterday. I could name 10 android phones that are superior to the iphone in every way.

I'm thiiiiiiis close to getting a Samsung Galaxy Note II. Anyone with experience with it? It looks awesome. Amazon has it for $139 with a renewal of my Sprint contract.
Marlow

Postby jamboy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Marlow wrote:
jamboy wrote:The iphone is so yesterday. I could name 10 android phones that are superior to the iphone in every way.

I'm thiiiiiiis close to getting a Samsung Galaxy Note II. Anyone with experience with it? It looks awesome. Amazon has it for $139 with a renewal of my Sprint contract.

All the reviews of the Galaxy Note II says it is great

I went to the Verizon store the other day to check it out and it was just awesome.

Great youtube review here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsMwGWvhO4
jamboy

Postby Marlow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 am

jamboy wrote:Great youtube review here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsMwGWvhO4

D'oh, that did it! I just placed the order. No change to my data plan, so I'm in!!!
I'm such a geek - I hardly use the phone part at all, but I's got to have the lastest toy!! 8-)
Marlow

Postby gm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 am

I have had the Note 2 since it was released. Hate the touch screen, as I do all touch screens. Spawn of Satan.

Works ok for the most part, with several annoyances. It has been semi-useful for coaching with Coach's Eye installed, since the processor(s) are pretty quick.

Still beats the iWhatever ;)
gm

Postby tandfman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 am

gm wrote:I have had the Note 2 since it was released. Hate the touch screen, as I do all touch screens. Spawn of Satan.

Works ok for the most part, with several annoyances. It has been semi-useful for coaching with Coach's Eye installed, since the processor(s) are pretty quick.

But if you hate touch screens, shouldn't you be using a traditional BlackBerry?
tandfman

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 am

tandfman wrote:
gm wrote:I have had the Note 2 since it was released. Hate the touch screen, as I do all touch screens. Spawn of Satan.

But if you hate touch screens, shouldn't you be using a traditional BlackBerry?

Or just a regular phone....My cellphone is probably 8 years old. I text about once a year. I did buy a fancier phone a couple of years ago, but the reception was lousier, so I went back to my old one with an antenna.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 pm

I wore out the keyboard on my last Blackberry and wanted to wait for the new BB10 model with a qwerty...my provider had a good deal on the Note 2 so I figured I would try it.
gm

Next