tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... got those DVRs ready?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... got those DVRs ready? (24)

Postby gh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:11 am

Not Jack's first time with a chopper, no.

Maybe he'll show up as submarine driver on final episode of Lost.
gh

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 pm

gh wrote:Logan will rip off a rubber mask and actually be unveiled as Khan (played by Ricardo Montalban, of course, even if he's dead)

Why would the next door neighbor from King Of The Hill turn into an enemy agent?

:]

As for Jack mourning for 3 minutes and raging for 57 minutes, why should these episodes be any different from the last 186?
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 am

If every episode was as exciting and as much fun as last night's, the show would still be on after the end of May.

People tune in to see the loner against the system--which is, of course, the quintessential appeal of Jack. Not hours of bureaucracy.

The annoying president-woman climbs into bed with the evil president-man. Not surprising.

And Chloe crosses over the The Dark Side...

:[
Brian

Postby tandfman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 am

dukehjsteve wrote:President Logan will save us all !

President Logan has moved on to other things.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 55806.html
tandfman

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm

tandfman wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:President Logan will save us all !

President Logan has moved on to other things.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 255806.htm

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but it never ceases to give me a chill at just how much Gregory Itzin ("who played Logan, the treacherous Nixonian president") physically resembles the late Richard Nixon...right down to the widow's peak.

Itzin also captures the subtle "you are your own worst enemy" concept of the Greek tragic figure that was both the fictional Logan and the actual Nixon.

No accident, of course; well-done casting.

But for someone who was just a few years on the safe side of the Viet Nam draft and in the thick of the Watergate times, it still sends a shiver whenever this excellent actor is on the screen.
Brian

Postby gh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Now that's the 24 that captivated people lo those many years! What a stunningly great episode. On many levels.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 pm

Missed Monday night. Can always watch a day late on web. Last episode still not up. Anybody know WTF?
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Sat May 01, 2010 11:28 pm

Finally saw last episonde. They have indeed set up a cliffhanger. I wasn't watching the show when Logan was President but that guy is a weasel. What was his transgression while President?
I don't know if Dana really has any "evidence", as she now maintains, but she is about to get some well deserved payback for her sociapathic past deeds. I don't have any sympathy for her but I did get a little squeamish when they started her "non-physical" coercion.
Jack is going to have a busy last few episodes if he manages comeuppance for Logan, the Russky, the shooter and assorted facilitators.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

So much for Dana. This is getting good.
lonewolf

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm

lonewolf wrote:So much for Dana. This is getting good.

I am SO glad he popped her !
dukehjsteve

Postby Dietmar239 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:14 am

You could tell by the look on his face that it was not going to end well for Dana.
Dietmar239

Location: I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.

Postby jhc68 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

When is the last time Jack terminated someone with extreme prejudice? I'm not able to recall the circumstances way back in one of the early seasons when he shot his African-American pal... all I remember is that he plugged him on someone's front yard as the guy blocked Jack's access to a car.
Anyway, they certainly set up Starbuck as a character richly deserving summary execution, didn't they?
Now is Jack going to get the chance to put an end to the squirmy ex-Pres? These latest episodes are getting back to the climate that made the show a must-watch back in the day.
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 pm

NYPD Commissioner Kelly mentioned Jack Bauer in his news conference on the Times Square bomb attempt, saying :
"When he was apprehended last evening at the JFK airport, it was 53 hours and 20 minutes," Kelly said. "Now we know that Jack Bauer can do it in 24 minutes but in the real world 53 hours is a pretty good number."

We'll forgive the Commish the"minutes" error. He also didn't mention using any drones or sattelites in the investigation. Economy crunch?
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Tue May 04, 2010 12:59 pm

I gotta admit, this was a pretty quick turn-around.
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 am

lonewolf wrote:I gotta admit, this was a pretty quick turn-around.

Now we hear that the FBI had him identified in 24 hours and had him under surveillance, then lost him, and only just managed to find out he was on a plane at the last minute. Chloe and Jack would never let this happen, which just shows how out of touch with reality the show is.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Wed May 05, 2010 8:01 am

Apparently the US government does not have the worldwide, continuous video surveillance that CTU does. :(
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Wed May 05, 2010 8:26 am

lonewolf wrote:Apparently the US government does not have the worldwide, continuous video surveillance that CTU does. :(

And if only the police forensics could do what CSI does....
jeremyp

Postby gh » Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm

man, if they keep this level of intensity up, I'm actually going to miss it when it ends!
gh

Postby lonewolf » Thu May 06, 2010 1:16 pm

I guess they just had a mid-decade run lull.. kind of a downer but apparently the had to kill Freckles off because she is fragrant in real life.. I do not understand the repeated stupidity of Presiden Allison taking advice and personnell nominees from ex-Pres Logan. I guess she is a slow learner..I have lost track of where the sniper is but trust Jack has not and will figure out how to get to him... and the Rusky and Logan..
lonewolf

Postby Brian » Thu May 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Dietmar239 wrote:You could tell by the look on his face that it was not going to end well for Dana.

This is very interesting. A "hero" killing an unarmed person--a woman, no less--in cold blood. Not talking reality here, folks, but in classic American storytelling, heroes never kill if they can help it, i.e., "the bad guy" slowly reaching for a hidden weapon, or something similar.

A few seasons back, the real world American right-wing extremists were hailing "Jack Bauer" as one of their own (never mind that only an absolute fool uses a fantasy character or situation as a real-world reference example). Clearly, as we saw in following seasons, this did not sit well with (English-born Canadian) Sutherland and others involved with the show, either for personal or profesional reasons. There was an obvious effort to distance themselves from even by proxy appearing to endorse torture, illegal detention, etc.--all things happening in the real world at the time.

Now--just thinking out loud here--could this be the final, most poignant lesson the show is trying to tell us: That there are no "classic heroes" in real life...that only gray people can inhabit a world that is neither black nor white?

That, when you come right down to it, a Jack Bauer character, despite their usual efforts to do the right thing and save innocent lives, is still nothing more than a cold-blooded killer, no different than a Dana character, deep inside...?

"We have met the enemy, and he is us,"

-Pogo, by Walt Kelly

Brian

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Brian, I think that's why Dana was so over the top bad. The producers had to make it okay for Jack to kill a woman in cold blood.
Cooter Brown

Postby lonewolf » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

I was not watching 24 the first few years when Jack, reportedly, was at his baddest so I don't know how the execution of Dana conforms to his previous actions in similar situations.
In this scenario, the writers developed a character and series of incidents to which my reaction to the outcome is, "Dana had it coming."
lonewolf

Postby Brian » Sat May 08, 2010 11:36 pm

lonewolf wrote:I was not watching 24 the first few years when Jack, reportedly, was at his baddest so I don't know how the execution of Dana conforms to his previous actions in similar situations.
In this scenario, the writers developed a character and series of incidents to which my reaction to the outcome is, "Dana had it coming."

[To both above]

Oh, of course. I never said Dana was innocent and/or never deserved what she got. Just that Jack shot an unarmed woman in cold blood. And a classic hero never does such a thing.

Remember: last season, Jack found "redemption."

So where is he now...? And more importantly, where will he end up?

This is getting very interesting.
Brian

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 09, 2010 9:07 am

I don't see Jack as a classic hero and suspect the folks who track such things found the "redeemed" Jack was less appealing to viewers, and thus advertisers, than the old Jack.
I predict that in the few remaining episodes Jack will wreak vengeance upon all those responsible for Renee's death and in a grand finale, himself die in a heroic act that saves the world.
Unless, of course, the people who decide such things are contemplating another 24 series.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 am

Fox announced about a month ago that this was it for the franchise. Going out big isn't a scenario that would remotely surprise me.
gh

Postby jeremyp » Sun May 09, 2010 12:07 pm

lonewolf wrote:II predict that in the few remaining episodes Jack will wreak vengeance upon all those responsible for Renee's death and in a grand finale, himself die in a heroic act that saves the world.
Unless, of course, the people who decide such things are contemplating another 24 series.

They are seriously contemplating a movie, so a dead Jack will have to be Frankensteined back to life, as he was basically done last season when Kim came through with bone marrow, or whatever. I think Logan will have to stay on for future fodder, as will Chloe. Everybody else can go.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Yep, definitley gotta have Chloe. Maybe Logan can be offed in the movie.
lonewolf

Postby Cooter Brown » Sun May 09, 2010 4:30 pm

jeremyp wrote:They are seriously contemplating a movie

I've been wondering if that's a red herring. Keifer has repeatedly said he wants Jack to die at the end of the series. Maybe they've released the movie idea to throw viewers off track so that his death is actually unexpected.
Cooter Brown

Postby Brian » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am

Cooter Brown wrote:
jeremyp wrote:They are seriously contemplating a movie

I've been wondering if that's a red herring. Keifer has repeatedly said he wants Jack to die at the end of the series. Maybe they've released the movie idea to throw viewers off track so that his death is actually unexpected.

I've refrained from saying anything along these lines only because I thought someone said the movie thing was a solid idea (if so, no Jack, no movie, unless Cole is to be the "Movie Jack" [not to be confused with Billy Jack; but I digress...].

Getting back to the classic hero concept: In a nutshell, if a hero does something very bad, they must pay for doing it, and with their life, if the transgression is too great. The moral idea overriding all is that crime [bad deeds] does not pay and amends must be made, justice must be met, the scale of transgression balanced. No matter what the cost.

Fans of the old X-men comics will remember two examples of this. One, the Jean Grey/Marvel Girl/Phoenix character, upon morphing into the evil "Dark Phoenix", flew off into space and devoured the energy of a star. That star--like our sun--provided light and heat to a race of (in Marvel's terms later because they resembled it) asparagus people on a nearby planet.

Now, the initial idea by writer Chris Claremont was to later have the other X-men save the day and Jean/Phoenix become stripped of most of her power via a brain implant that would syphon off any excess power, thereby preventing her from becoming Dark Phoenix--at least until comic sales began to sag! [She had become pretty much omnipotent, making story lines tough, a' la, Superman syndrome: how do you create a situation she can't handle?]

But the Marvel head honchos said, uh-UH! She KILLED, even if unwittingly, an entire planet, and must therefore pay greatly for it. Reportedly, Claremont, as is the case with most writers being told what to write, wasn't happy and simply killed her off, perhaps for spite.

Later, in a new book called X-Factor, the Jean Grey character was restored under the pretext that during an earlier "save the day/sacrifice myself" episode wherein Grey was piloting a doomed spacecraft, a disembodied entity came aboard and took over her life, putting her into suspended animation and taking her place, memories, and emotions and living as Grey/Phoenix and later, as Dark Phoenix. So it hadn't been the REAL Jean Grey at all who did the killing. On with comics superhero life: They all fought happily ever after!

Example #2 came when same X-men book creators made arch-villain Magneto a good guy. Same problem: he had killed; no way, Jose, can this guy ever be allowed to be a hero. So they came up with a storyline wherein Magneto was regressed to being a small child--children being instantly "innocent of sin"--and then "grew up" (magically quickly) as a different person, no longer with the taint of having been evil and killed. [Until they turned him into a bad guy again later, but that's comics!]

That's the classic hero ideal. There are some exceptions, of course, but to this day, nearly all shows and movies follow it. Even Dirty Harry never killed in cold blood; the bad guy was always reaching for a hidden weapon, or there was a innocent person who would die if Harry/whomever didn't act fast. If a hero killed, it had to be for a justifiable and selfless reason. Morally, for the sake of the lesson to the viewers, the hero could never simply kill in cold blood.

If the show is following this model of the classic hero, Jack is indeed slated to die. Again, last season bought him redemption: forgiveness through the Muslim cleric and being "born again" via Kimmie's stem cells.

Last season Jack, like Phoenix and Magneto, was morally "saved" or resurrected and earned redemption, and redemption is the path to eventual salvation. Jack saw Renee following his old path to Hell and tried to intervene. Instead, he got pulled back into the abyss himself.

So, as I wrote above, is this one of the key lessons 24 wants to leave us with: that despite the self-serving pretense of some in the real world to claim only black and white, that no person in Jack's situation could ever truly be a "hero"--? That in a world of gray you can't tell the good guys from the bad without a scorecard, and there is no scorecard...?

Will the show's creative team continue to follow the classic hero mode, as they have, the past two seasons; will Jack again become a tragic figure; will he now find possible redemption only in selfless death, dying to save another...or will they break the mold and let Jack live and be happy? And if so, how will they pull it off?

As I said, this has gotten very interesting, for me, at least.

:]

[Yes, I know all future 24 episodes are already in the can, a done deal; I was speaking as a viewer. And please forgive the comics thesis, but I lived for those babies when growing up!]
Brian

Postby lonewolf » Mon May 10, 2010 6:13 pm

Ok, Jack took care of the sniper in appropriately gruesome fashion. .. and has Logan on speed dial..
lonewolf

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue May 11, 2010 3:58 am

Can some one enlighten me on one thing that I did not catch last night... exactly how did Jack extract that computer chip from the Russky ?
dukehjsteve

Postby Cooter Brown » Tue May 11, 2010 5:31 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Can some one enlighten me on one thing that I did not catch last night... exactly how did Jack extract that computer chip from the Russky ?

He gutted him and pulled it out of his stomach.
Cooter Brown

Postby jhc68 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:01 am

Yeah, the scripts seem to have launched Jack into a series of events from which there can be no return. And the previews seem to show that he kidnaps the slimey ex-Pres Logan next week... that should be terrific, but it is tough to see how Jack can come out of it alive. Of course I have to remind myself that it's just a show :P
jhc68

Postby Cooter Brown » Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 am

My wife said Jack dying isn't big enough. He needs to inadvertently cause Russia and the US to launch nukes at each other. Now that would be the ultimate series finale...total destruction of the world.
Cooter Brown

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 am

Cooter Brown wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:Can some one enlighten me on one thing that I did not catch last night... exactly how did Jack extract that computer chip from the Russky ?

He gutted him and pulled it out of his stomach.

Hmmmm, that's what I figured.......
dukehjsteve

Postby lonewolf » Tue May 11, 2010 9:32 am

Cooter Brown wrote:My wife said Jack dying isn't big enough. He needs to inadvertently cause Russia and the US to launch nukes at each other. Now that would be the ultimate series finale...total destruction of the world.

Nah. On the contrary, the whole point of this exercise is to preserve world peace. I predict Jack will prevent such an incident and die a hero in the process... maybe vaporized.
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 am

He considered the Heimlich maneuver, then said frack it.
jeremyp

Postby gh » Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm

aiyeee! what a stunningly beautiful (err, I mean brutal) episode! Perhaps the most gruesome thing ever aired on network TV?

So now that we're into gruesome torture, is anybody else appreciating the wonderful symmetry of having Michael Madsen as Jack's current tag-along?

Somewhere, Quentin Tarantino is laughing his ass off.
gh

Postby Cooter Brown » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 am

gh wrote:Somewhere, Quentin Tarantino is laughing his ass off.

I was just waiting for Jack to cut the Russian's ear off.
Cooter Brown

Postby lonewolf » Wed May 12, 2010 5:53 am

gh wrote:aiyeee! what a stunningly beautiful (err, I mean brutal) episode! Perhaps the most gruesome thing ever aired on network TV?

Shucks, I thought it was most tastefully done.
lonewolf

PreviousNext