tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... got those DVRs ready?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... got those DVRs ready?

Postby gh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:11 am

2 hours with Jack Bauer tonite, another 2 tomorrow; or does one lump it altogether for a 4-hour 24 orgy on Tuesday?
Last edited by gh on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gh

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:30 am

2 separate... spread out the enjoyment.
dukehjsteve

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 am

It will be strange watching Starbuck and Aceveda, while I still haven't finished watching Battlestar Gallactica and The Shield!
jeremyp

Postby gh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:10 am

Local critic trashes 24, suggests something better:

<<,,,On Sunday, Fox will premiere its much-anticipated midseason action drama, "Human Target," before moving it to Wednesdays. The special Sunday airing of the pilot puts it one hour before the eighth season premiere of "24," the powerhouse drama that was so fresh and original all those years ago that it's hard to remember that the pulse pounding was more dramatic than funny then.

That's to say that "Human Target" has the potential to offer viewers the action, suspense and intrigue that the veteran "24" so quickly lost.

Yes, "24" is exhilarating if you enjoy its roller-coaster nature and exciting impossibilities. But it quickly became ridiculous to the point of drinking-game fodder. For years it was Fox's funniest series. To watch it now - or endure it - relegates the viewer to the status of some sad junkie, just shooting up any old ingredient for a cut-rate high....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0ctl7e9AI
gh

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Waallll, those of us who only got hooked in the last season are not so jaded.
I am looking forward to its revival, wondering what Freckles has been up to.
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:03 pm

lonewolf wrote:Waallll, those of us who only got hooked in the last season are not so jaded.
I am looking forward to its revival, wondering what Freckles has been up to.

So far no show for Freckles. Chloe is back in style. She has her look (gerbil having a bowel movement) and we are supposed to believe she is not up to par on new computers? Chloe invented computers! As to Jack, the question remains. Can we trust America to a man with no ear lobes?

Aceveda dead and gone, already?

I do have a problem with them palming off a bunch of Indian actors as Middle Eastern. Couldn't they get Tony Shaloub?
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Apparently, Freckles surfaces tomorrow.. yeah, and whats with dissing Chloe's computer skills?
Did they kill off Tony while I was in the bathroom?
lonewolf

Postby gh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Have only watched the first night so far, and my reaction is that it's the slowest, most boring start that any. 24 in slow motion. But if Kimmie indeeds flies off into the sunset I'll be one happy bloke no matter what else happens.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Dang, I missed last night. Is there a website with scenarios up for this year?
lonewolf

Postby gh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 am

Forget scenarios.... go here and click on the episode and watch it!

http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=twentyfour
gh

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:31 am

gh wrote:Forget scenarios.... go here and click on the episode and watch it!

http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=twentyfour

Thanks. Some day, I am going to figure out how the DVR on my set works.
When the technician installed my new TV a few months ago, he demonstrated the DVR by setting it to record Desperate Housewives..consequently, I have a big file of DH but nothing else.
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 am

I read that it's mostly filmed in Canada. So gh can feel at home.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Wow, Renee has gone Jack Bauer on us.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 am

Not at all... she makes Jack look like a puss!
gh

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am

gh wrote:Not at all... she makes Jack look like a puss!

Did you see the coming attraction scene for this coming week ? I could be wrong but it looks like she chops some guy's arm off !
dukehjsteve

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:18 am

lonewolf wrote:Wow, Renee has gone Jack Bauer on us.

Storyline indicates she has mental problems.

This is not surprising, as American--if not global--culture frowns upon a fictional female character straying too far from acceptable, comfortable female values and characteristics. What would make such deviances acceptable is an X factor (in this case, mental illness, a la' borderline personality disorder/possible PTSA). Thus in movies, brutalized females are thereby allowed to be brutal toward the bad guys, as in a rape victim becoming a vigilante (usually because the "judicial system" in the film has failed to provide true justice) and literally or figuratively castrating the rapist(s) and his cronies.

In film/television culture, Renee can only become the person Jack was "redeemed" from being last season by being tragically flawed mentally and/or emotionally.

Quite interesting, actually. How will Jack pull her back from the brink? Or is it already too late?
Brian

Postby lonewolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 pm

This is a reversal of roles. Previously, she opposed Jack's extreme measures until circumstances changed her mind. Now, we go the other way to Renee's redemption.
lonewolf

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 pm

gh wrote:Not at all... she makes Jack look like a puss!

Also remember Jack's redemption came from the inside out--the external situation/threat remains, but the man involved has changed--right down to a wholesale cleaning via new stem cells. Cells that, by the way, came from a daughter, a female. The subtle message here is that Jack will now be "softer", more human.

And so far it appears this is a big part of this season's overall story arc: Jack is now a protector rather than a warrior.

Count on Jack having to make at least one (probably climactic) can-go-either-way decision.
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:27 pm

lonewolf wrote:This is a reversal of roles. Previously, she opposed Jack's extreme measures until circumstances changed her mind. Now, we go the other way to Renee's redemption.

Agreed. The circumstances didn't just change her mind, they changed her internally. In chess terms, the White Knight has now become the Black Knight.

...Or is headed that way. Can Jack lighten the gray hues in time--?

This, of course, being one of the few things that could lure Jack--now the protector--back into the fray.

Good writing.
Brian

Postby gh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Yo, Freud & Co...... this is a shoot-'em up!!!!!
gh

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

gh wrote:Yo, Freud & Co...... this is a shoot-'em up!!!!!

Didn't you hear? CTU has two new agents named Maslow and Rogers.

:]

[Kidding aside, as many/most of you know, a BIG part of large or small screen story appeal is the writing focus on the human aspect. Bring on psychology!]
Brian

Postby gh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Brian wrote:....

Let me know when Masters & Johnson sign on.
gh

Postby Pego » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:19 pm

gh wrote:

Many years ago I met Masters and Johnson. Mme.Johnson was a gracious, plesant lady, Dr.Masters was an unpleasant, cantankerous old man.
Pego

Postby Cooter Brown » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:29 am

Cooter Brown

Postby Marlow » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:19 pm

The only thing that bugs me about the show are the 'Oh Please' plot machinations that clearly transgress previous characterizations (last season it was Tony). Now it's Renee. When she was introduced last season she was milquetoast and Jack had to toughen her up. Now she's deus ex machina written back into the plot as we find out she was undercover for years in the Russian mob before becoming a namby-pamby FBI agent (later turned psycho)?!?! Whatever.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:37 pm

What, you expect realism? C'mon, it is tough coming up with, solving and moving onto a new crisis every 24 hours.
I do fear the show may lose something if Jack is not a bad ass. But then, I don't know that Jack ever clamped a guys arm in a vice and sawed off his hand. ..
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:44 pm

lonewolf wrote:What, you expect realism?

Actually, no. I know how to suspend my disbelief with the best of 'em, but characterizations DO need to be consistent!
Would you buy it if Chloe and Kimmie suddenly were LIKEABLE??!!
:shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :shock:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Ok, that would be a stretch.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:11 am

Oh, and another thing. The big bald cop beat the CRAP out of Jack, including some big face shots, and yet Jack didn't have a mark on him 20 minutes later.
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:11 am

lonewolf wrote:This is a reversal of roles. Previously, she opposed Jack's extreme measures until circumstances changed her mind. Now, we go the other way to Renee's redemption.

She's simply gone from being a "liberal" to a "consevative," vis a vis the "war on terror." :lol:
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:12 am

Marlow wrote:Oh, and another thing. The big bald cop beat the CRAP out of Jack, including some big face shots, and yet Jack didn't have a mark on him 20 minutes later.

Yeah, but he feels the pain, very deep down.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 am

jeremyp wrote:
Marlow wrote:Oh, and another thing. The big bald cop beat the CRAP out of Jack, including some big face shots, and yet Jack didn't have a mark on him 20 minutes later.

Yeah, but he feels the pain, very deep down.

Yeah, if we all were like him, there would be NO need for national health care, cuz he seems to be pretty 'resilient'. :D My favorite was when he died, got electro-shocked back to life and 20 minutes later was back to kicking major bad-guy butt!! :twisted: Surviving last season's LETHAL pathogen exposure was a walk in the park!
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

Yeah, I noticed that too... and, I thought Jack had been shot on the back porch.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:50 am

jeremyp wrote:

She's simply gone from being a "liberal" to a "consevative," vis a vis the "war on terror." :lol:

If true, my crush on Freckles may escalate into full blown devotion :)
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:18 am

lonewolf wrote:If true, my crush on Freckles may escalate into full blown devotion :)

Just be careful if she asks you for a hand . . . :twisted:
Marlow

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 am

gh wrote:

I'll tell you everything you always wanted to know.*

(*but were afraid to ask)

:]

[Note: Not their book(s), I know. But funnier in this instance, maybe...?]
Brian

Postby gh » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 am

Sorry, but it's just not getting it done for me this year. A psycho Renee doesn't hold a candle to a psycho Jack. Bring back wacko jacko!
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 am

gh wrote:Sorry, but it's just not getting it done for me this year. A psycho Renee doesn't hold a candle to a psycho Jack. Bring back wacko jacko!

She's a beautiful little porcelain doll who acts like Chucky - too weird.
Marlow

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 pm

gh wrote:Sorry, but it's just not getting it done for me this year. A psycho Renee doesn't hold a candle to a psycho Jack. Bring back wacko jacko!

I agree. I wish they'd move it away from her a little.

But I really like Freddy Prinze Jr. working it for the big 2-4 this season. Hope he develops beyond the formula "young guy assistant to Jack" bit.

And Buffy's hubby, remember!
Brian

Postby lonewolf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Missed a couple of weeks.. watched on website tonite... I kinda like Renee's new character... instant retribution and all that....now, if Dana's ex has a car crash while escaping with the cash and dies in a feiry explosion it will be a good week...
lonewolf

Next