Can Trindon Holliday make it in the NFL?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Can Trindon Holliday make it in the NFL?

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:56 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:What other hurdlers besides Merritt use seven steps?

The elite: Robles, Oliver, and Liu (among only a few others, like Dwight Thomas).
Marlow

Postby eroszag » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 am

Another solid day in the office ...2 returns, 46 average, longest a 50 yarder
eroszag

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I presume you've seen all of these women up close, including SAFP. When I stood next to her, I was shocked at how tiny she was. I doubt that she's 5'3". For the most part I agree with you on the limitations of short sprinters. It's hard for me to imagine someone Trindon Holliday's height running sub-9.8. However, several years ago I began to reassess my previously held assumptions. First, it was when Lauryn Wiliams burst onto the scene, and proved that she could hold her own outdoors with women 6 to 8 inches taller than her. Then SAFP came along and ran 10.70. Prior to her doing it, did you think someone as short as SAFP was capable of running 10.70? Also, if these previously held theories have been disproved with regards to women, shouldn't similar logic apply to the men?

When talking about short vs. tall you have to look at each sex separately. 5'3" for a woman is just one inch below average for their sex. 1 inch below average for a man would be 5'9", that's Maurice Greene's height.
18.99s

Postby Blues » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
gh wrote:The top 5 women in the 2011 World Rankings, height in meters:

1. Jeter 1.63
2. VCB 1.63
3. Baptiste 1.60
4. SAFP 1.60

so actually, Jeter is tall! :mrgreen:

ps—the poster girl for short sprinters is Nelli Cooman at 1.58. Twice the world indoor 60 champ, but only made the 100 World Rankings once, and that at #10.

I presume you've seen all of these women up close, including SAFP. When I stood next to her, I was shocked at how tiny she was. I doubt that she's 5'3".

I'd imagine gh HAS seen all these women up close, but I also think it's safe to say that SAFP is considerably more than 0.03m shorter than Jeter and VCB.

Based on any picture of the 3 athletes together that I've seen, the disparity in height is noticeably more than .03 meters, which is 1.18 inches. The London Olympics athlete bio page lists SAFP's height as 1.52 meters, or 5 feet even, unlike the JamaicaOlympic site that seems to have used the basketball method of listing height, adding a few inches and listing her as 1.60m, or 5'3", evidently hoping she'd get drafted by an NBA team.. :wink: 1.52m (5'0") seems to match the photo evidence a lot better, and means a really short sprinter really IS the fastest in the world..

Photos 42, 43, & 44 in the link below give an idea of the height differential of the ladies.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Shelly-Ann ... HgBVSF6qfH
Blues

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Based on what 18.99 and Blues have posted above, the heights of SAFP and Holliday are about the same percentile relative to their respective sexes.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Today, Holliday became the first man to ever return both a kickoff and a punt for a touchdown in an NFL playoff game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... a/1829261/

Geaux Trindon!
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:39 pm

can he outrun Kaepernick? :mrgreen:
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 am

gh wrote:can he outrun Kaepernick? :mrgreen:

He seems to be about the same size of Ryan Bailey, so who knows?

What's ironic is that the latest trend in the NFL seems to be adopting college offenses (eg. Washington, San Francisco, Seattle), while with the exception of Oregon, the college teams that have been the most successful in recent years have all run pro offenses (eg. Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Notre Dame).
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:24 am

Kaepernick reminds me of nothing so much as an Ashton Eaton who can throw. (and boy, can he!)
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 am

gh wrote:Kaepernick reminds me of nothing so much as an Ashton Eaton who can throw. (and boy, can he!)

Yea, that is right. Watching him on that 56 yard TD I was thinking he looked like a World class 400 runner. What a stride with those long shanks.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 am

Conor Dary wrote:
gh wrote:Kaepernick reminds me of nothing so much as an Ashton Eaton who can throw. (and boy, can he!)

Yea, that is right. Watching him on that 56 yard TD I was thinking he looked like a World class 400 runner. What a stride with those long shanks.

:shock: :shock: I was watching Sportcenter with the fellas at the fire station this morning and I said that exact thing to them, nearly verbatim, except I said "He's 6'6" instead of referencing his shanks specifically. :)
scottmitchell74

Previous