how the failing newspaper industry shot itself in the foot..

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Re:

Postby j-a-m » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 am

guru wrote:In short, non-subscribers get 20 article views a month before they're shut out.

That specific business model is bound to fail. Either they count it in a way that's easy to get around, as it seems to be the case here; or they make it more difficult to get around, in which case it raises more privacy concerns.

Instead, they could easily separate content between subcriber and non-subscriber; or they could generally show non-subscribers the first couple paragraphs, and subscribers the whole article.
j-a-m

Re: how the failing newspaper industry shot itself in the fo

Postby j-a-m » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 am

tandfman wrote:And do you think that they won't figure out that people are figuring it out and then figure out a way to stop people from doing what you're doing?

They could use more sophisticated cookies, could log your IP address, or do something similar. One way or the other, it would raise additional privacy concerns.
j-a-m

Postby guru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:03 am

j-a-m wrote:
tandfman wrote:And do you think that they won't figure out that people are figuring it out and then figure out a way to stop people from doing what you're doing?

They could use more sophisticated cookies, could log your IP address, or do something similar. One way or the other, it would raise additional privacy concerns.

Any cookie can be dumped, and an IP logger(which I too thought they would use) is easily beaten by a VPN like Hotspot Shield
guru

Postby j-a-m » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am

guru wrote:Any cookie can be dumped, and an IP logger(which I too thought they would use) is easily beaten by a VPN like Hotspot Shield

So let's say a store in your hometown puts a tracking device into your pocket every time you enter the store, and they also write down your licence plate number.

You fine with that? After all, you could easily take the tracking device out of your pocket and dump it, and you could walk there instead of using your car.
j-a-m

Postby guru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 am

99.9% of websites do one or both of those things anyway(unless blocked)
guru

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:34 am

guru wrote:Well, today Gannett rolled out their online subscription structure for all their newspapers - except USA Today

I only have the on-line USA Today subscription. I'm dumping my print SI and Time subs for the iPad the school just gave us all. T&FN MUST stay as print or how else can I prove my über-geekdom, by showing off my yards and yards of T&F-related bookshelf material?
Last edited by Marlow on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow

Postby guru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:36 am

Marlow wrote:
guru wrote:Well, today Gannett rolled out their online subscription structure for all their newspapers - except USA Today

I only have the on-line USA Today subscription.

That's fine, but my pojnt was for whatever reason Gannett is not using the(laughable) non-subscriber page view limiter cookie with USA Today
guru

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 am

People actually read USA Today every day? The only time I look at it is when it is outside the door on the floor in the morning at a hotel.

And I have never been to their web site so anyone is welcome to my 20 visits.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 am

guru wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I only have the on-line USA Today subscription.

That's fine, but my pojnt was for whatever reason Gannett is not using the(laughable) non-subscriber page view limiter cookie with USA Today

Oh, your Digital IQ (acronym: DIQ :P ) is waaaay higher than mine!!!
Marlow

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 am

Conor Dary wrote:People actually read USA Today every day? The only time I look at it is when it is outside the door on the floor in the morning at a hotel.

I value Cultural (sic) Literacy (it's actually a requisite of my job) and USAT covers that better and more succinctly than anyone else. Time is a close second.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 am

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:People actually read USA Today every day? The only time I look at it is when it is outside the door on the floor in the morning at a hotel.

I value Cultural (sic) Literacy (it's actually a requisite of my job) and USAT covers that better and more succinctly than anyone else. Time is a close second.

No one does succinctly better than USAToday. That is why I can read the whole paper in about 10 minutes.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 am

Conor Dary wrote:No one does succinctly better than USAToday. That is why I can read the whole paper in about 10 minutes.

Indeed. My ADD demands it.
Marlow

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:19 pm

USA today used to be the perfect quick read for a 20-minute bus ride to work - and they used to have good track & field coverage while Dick Patrick was around.
Halfmiler2

Postby Anthony Treacher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 am

I live in Sweden. I have a very advantageous, efficient airmail subscription to the American Time magazine. I am really satisfied, yet .... sometimes I feel like cancelling the whole thing. And why? Because Time sometimes use small typefaces in hard to read colours, often small, pastel colours, even light grey, which is impossible to read. One day I will be so irritated I will cancel for sure. If the industry is in crisis, why do they persist with these easily addressable mistakes at the risk of losing faithful customers?
Anthony Treacher

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:27 am

Anthony Treacher wrote:Because Time sometimes use small typefaces in hard to read colours, often small, pastel colours, even light grey, which is impossible to read.

Tony, you're just too fussy. One reason they may do it is that is they have nothing to say and hope they can hide the fact?
Daisy

Postby Anthony Treacher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Daisy. You made my day! How long can we continue to meet in this way?
Anthony Treacher

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:31 pm

My aging eyes have the same problem with Time and a number of other magazines..Artsy, teensy, light colored font on dark background (or dark opn dark)is especially difficult to read.. I either have to find my magnifying glass or give up.. :(
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:34 pm

lonewolf wrote:My aging eyes have the same problem with Time and a number of other magazines..Artsy, teensy, light colored font on dark background (or dark opn dark)is especially difficult to read.. I either have to find my magnifying glass or give up.. :(

What a whiney-butt you are!
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Marlow wrote:What a whiney-butt you are!

He has a magnifying glass, you know?
Daisy

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Well, when a life is as perfect as mine, I need something to whine about. :)
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:37 pm

lonewolf wrote:Well, when a life is as perfect as mine, I need something to whine about. :)

Ok, ya got me there! :D
Marlow

Previous