You, A Desert Island & Your iPod

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby DrJay » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:24 am

I am the God of Hellfire, and I bring you...FIRE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8
DrJay

Postby gh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:18 am

The Metallica video explaining One, with selected footage from Johnny Got His Gun is excellent watching.
gh

Postby DrJay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Next Netflix rec: "Emerson, Lake, and Palmer: Beyond the Beginning." Two discs. The first third is an odd assortment of mostly black and white film clips of their very early days, even a few pre-ELP (The Nice, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, King Crimson), studio tinkering with songs, roadies confiscating cameras at the door, even an interview with Robert Moog. Next third is concert footage from various shows (California Jam in 1974, Montreal, Live at the Royal Albert Hall in 2001, and others), the final third is some nice interviews with the three, their promoter, their manager. No droning on by any music critics. The concert footage is pretty good, full-length "Pirates", "Fanfare", a good bit of "Karn Evil 9" (including Carl's drum solo), "Lucky Man", "Take a Pebble", many others. Highly recommended if you like ELP.
DrJay

Postby rasb » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Latest, and probably last,, Johnny Cash CD is either just released, or about to be. Sounds like a "must have" to me...
rasb

Re: You, A Desert Island & Your iPod

Postby DrJay » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm

iPod question....my iPod is synched with my music library on my home coputer, maybe 400 purchased songs and 2000 (yeah, I'm way behind some of you guys) from my CDs. I want to load all that music onto my computer at work. I authorized that work computer today and was able to "transfer purchases" (songs purchased from iTunes) from the iPod to the computer, but if there's a way to transfer the CD songs from the iPod to iTunes on the work computer, I can't figure it out. Can it be done?
DrJay

Postby Davidokun » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Davidokun

Postby gh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:49 am

DrJay wrote:iPod question....my iPod is synched with my music library on my home coputer, maybe 400 purchased songs and 2000 (yeah, I'm way behind some of you guys) from my CDs. I want to load all that music onto my computer at work. I authorized that work computer today and was able to "transfer purchases" (songs purchased from iTunes) from the iPod to the computer, but if there's a way to transfer the CD songs from the iPod to iTunes on the work computer, I can't figure it out. Can it be done?

CD songs don't require any authorization; only ones you bought from iTunes. You can simply burn them onto DVD(s) and carry them over that way if nothing else.
gh

Postby DrJay » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:13 am

gh wrote:
DrJay wrote:iPod question....my iPod is synched with my music library on my home coputer, maybe 400 purchased songs and 2000 (yeah, I'm way behind some of you guys) from my CDs. I want to load all that music onto my computer at work. I authorized that work computer today and was able to "transfer purchases" (songs purchased from iTunes) from the iPod to the computer, but if there's a way to transfer the CD songs from the iPod to iTunes on the work computer, I can't figure it out. Can it be done?

CD songs don't require any authorization; only ones you bought from iTunes. You can simply burn them onto DVD(s) and carry them over that way if nothing else.

Right, just thought using the iPod would be easier. Haven't plowed throught the instructions on the above link yet. Thanks, David.
DrJay

Postby 3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 am

Postby rasb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 pm

definitely taking "recollection", 2 disc new release by k.d.lang. Includes some of her old stuff, and some of her new stuff, and everything inbetween, including a new version of Hallelujah, and her duets with Roy Orbison, Tony Bennett, and others.

Also, just enjoyed a brilliant hour of musicianship and humanity, with Elvis Costello hosting Spectacle, with guests Sheryl Crow, Ron Sexsmith, Neko Case, and Jesse Winchester. Excellent !
rasb

Postby kuha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:45 pm

On music in general, over the last couple years I've been going deep into the old Blue Note catalogue, particularly the 1955-65 period. Some wonderful things I hadn't know of before. My current favorite "find" is tenor sax guy Tina Brooks: his best two albums, "Back to the Tracks" and "True Blue" (both recorded in 1960), are really great.
kuha

Postby Marlow » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:42 am

There's a poster here who kept squacking at me to listen to remastered Beatles songs on his sound system, so I went to his place last month and listened. :shock: :shock: :shock: He was right - it's all new again! :oops: :oops: :oops:
So now I'm in the midst of watching the 5-DVD "Beatles Anthology" documentary and it is absolutely fascinating!!! Anyone else ever seen it?
Marlow

Re: cover versions abound, from Bing Crosby to Gheorghe Zamf

Postby cullman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:13 am

wineturtle wrote:
wineturtle wrote:Does anyone have a link to Todd Duncan doing Unchained Melody either as a clip from Unchained or as a stand alone song?

Thanks

Anyone?

It finally showed up on YouKnowWhere: Todd Duncan - Unchained Melody

cman
cullman

Postby bhall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 am

kuha wrote:On music in general, over the last couple years I've been going deep into the old Blue Note catalogue, particularly the 1955-65 period. Some wonderful things I hadn't know of before. My current favorite "find" is tenor sax guy Tina Brooks: his best two albums, "Back to the Tracks" and "True Blue" (both recorded in 1960), are really great.

I'm not a sax guy but listen to a lot of jazz. If you get the chance to go to a show at the Blue Note do it. It is quite the intimate venue. LA and I saw Hiromi Uehara and Sonic Bloom there last year. They are spectacular in general but were even more amazing sitting 12-15 feet way surrounded by people who know their music.

The album I've been wearing all the bits out of lately is "Highway Rider" by Brad Mehldau. Saxman Joshua Redman plays with Mehldau's trio for a decent chunk of the album. The album has been getting rave reviews across the board, as have the performances.

If jazz fans haven't listened to the Esbjörn Svensson Trio you're missing out. Esbjörn Svensson died a couple years ago but there are some excellent recordings of his work. "E.S.T. Live In Hamburg" is my favorite. Listen to the track "Dolores In A Shoestand" to see what they can do.
bhall

Re: cover versions abound, from Bing Crosby to Gheorghe Zamf

Postby wineturtle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 am

cullman wrote:
wineturtle wrote:
wineturtle wrote:Does anyone have a link to Todd Duncan doing Unchained Melody either as a clip from Unchained or as a stand alone song?

Thanks

Anyone?

It finally showed up on YouKnowWhere: Todd Duncan - Unchained Melody

cman

Thank You
wineturtle

Postby DrJay » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 pm

The holiday season must be upon us....the crews in Woodland Park were putting up "Happy Holidays" banners and the fake garland on the lightpoles yesterday.

Got any favorite Xmas music? I just found "It Snows in Heaven Too" by Annie Haslam, the five-octave vocalist for Renaissance. Most beautiful voice in the world doing Christmas classics.

When I was growing up, one of my family's standbys was the original (1957) "Now is the Caroling Season" by Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians. You can get it on CD and probably can download it.

http://www.amazon.com/Caroling-Season-F ... 916&sr=1-5
DrJay

Postby gh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 pm

DrJay wrote:....
Got any favorite Xmas music? ...

I refuse to ansewr any such questions until December!
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:11 pm

gh wrote:

I don't know what it is about that stupid "Little Drummer Boy" song, but it gets me every time!! :?
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:07 pm

New this year--a Christmas album by Susan Boyle. I'll bet it's good.
tandfman

Postby bambam » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:28 pm

DrJay wrote:Got any favorite Xmas music?

In the early 1990s, every year in Vienna they had a concert called Christmas in Vienna, backed by the Vienna Philarmonic, which was always hosted by Placido Domingo, who would invite 2-3 other great singers, not necessarily classicists. One year he had Charles Asnavour and Sissel, one year he had Tony Bennett and Vanessa Williams. There were about 6-7 of these that were made into concerts and they were wonderful. I have about 4 of the old CDs and now are on my iPhone.
bambam

Postby DrJay » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:45 pm

gh wrote:

It's time. :)
DrJay

Postby no one » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Annie Haslam - running hard - sounds a bit like grace slick
no one

Postby gh » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm

DrJay wrote:
gh wrote:

It's time. :)

Well, there's always Dr. Demento Presents The Greatest Novelty Christmas CD Of All Time (!)

Seriously, though, I'm a big fan of The Lost Christmas Eve by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra (the dudes who wrote the piece that illustrates the house in Ohio).

But No. 1 on gh's Xmas Island is Christmas by The Players. This description from Amazon says it all:

<<This charming instrumental acoustic album, which even the most vehement of scrooges will find hard to resist, is a collection of 33 carols performed on an assortment of instruments including the Appalachian dulcimer, banjo, mandolin, button accordion, oboe, fiddle, cello and jaw harp. From the first note, The Players find the Christmas cheer within them and vividly evoke the spirit of a rural Victorian Christmas. All the favourites are on this album, but played in an authentic way which reminds the listener of how important carols were and are in the celebration of Christmas. ...>>
gh

Postby DrJay » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:59 am

My god, can't you guys push this thing past 1000 posts?
DrJay

Postby tandfman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:24 am

OK, if you insist, it's now at 1000 posts--the original plus 999 replies.
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 am

I have purposely never opened this thread because I don't know even what an IPod is.. I think it is fitting that I post #1000.. or is it #1001?
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:06 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have purposely never opened this thread because I don't know even what an IPod is.. I think it is fitting that I post #1000.. or is it #1001?

1000 - how appropriate that the guy with the most years caps the thread with the most posts! :D
Marlow

Postby gh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 pm

gh wrote:

And a late entry (but hey, with the iTunes Store, it's always "just in time"!) into the sweepstakes: Bob Dylan's Christmas In The Heart

Robert Z croacking his way through lots of old standards, sounding like a cross between Louis Armstrong and Tom Waits. Sneak peeks available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Heart-B ... 588&sr=1-1
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:00 pm

tandfman

Postby gh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 am

let me reopen our longest thread ever by asking the most elemental of questions: how many people actually own iPods anymore?

With the advent of high-capacity iPhones and the introduction of the iPad, I no longer have such a machine (or if I do, it's hiding in my man-drawer somewhere, long forgotten and buried).
gh

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am

What's an Ipod?.. I tend to lag electronic development by about three generations..I still have one car with a perfectly functioning 8-track and a couple with cassette players but I understand the cassette has largely been replace by a round disc thing.. :?
lonewolf

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I have a couple of the ipod shuffles. With the wireless headphones that the ipod fits into, great to work out in, or whatever, with no wires.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Never had a Walkman or IPod (or whatever came in between). Have a smart-phone, but I'm too dumb to use it for music (I turn it on to make a call, then turn it off again; no one even tries to call me on it - I do, however, sometimes also use it to check e-mail and surf the web, so there is hope for me yet).

On the other hand I play Pandora all day long - current shuffle is Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, Billy Idol, Van Halen, Kings of Leon, and Cat Stevens (!). I mix that up every coupla weeks. The nice thing is that it picks other artists like these, so I get a variety, even heard Gotye the other day!
Marlow

Postby marknhj » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm

I have a five year old iPad nano that I use in the gym as you can stick it in your pocket and barely notice it's there. Sometimes use my iPhone for the same as it contains some different music (although the phone/text/email functions can be distracting). Have my main library on an iPad which I use to play recordings and streaming radio on my decent speakers wirelessly through an Apple TV device. Also use it on it's own for music when I'm traveling. Will probably have an iPhone 5 by the end of the month and my old phone will become strictly an iPod that I'll use to store infrequently listened-to music.
marknhj

Postby kuha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm

gh wrote:let me reopen our longest thread ever by asking the most elemental of questions: how many people actually own iPods anymore?

:lol: I never got one so--I guess--I was ahead of the curve in dumping them.
kuha

Postby DrJay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I was late to the iPhone scene, have had one about a year, and have just started using the music function a lot, so the iPod is staying home in the drawer. I'm actually starting to learn French with my daughter (Living Language CDs and workbooks) so loading the audio on the iPhone has made that really convenient. Now just need to add in some self-discipline.
DrJay

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Was spectating a soccer game recently..son-in-law laid his fancy phone down on the bleacher seat by me and his six year old son while he videoed the game..phone rang.. the six year old was the only one around who knew how to answer it. :(
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:10 pm

I've never owned an Apple gizmo of any kind-phone, pad, pod, computer, or whatever else they make. Probably never will. Mrs. tandfman, on the other hand, has all four of those. I've never seen her do anything with them that makes me say "I gotta get me one uh them things."
tandfman

Postby LopenUupunut » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 am

gh wrote:let me reopen our longest thread ever by asking the most elemental of questions: how many people actually own iPods anymore?
This is no longer our longest thread ever. Mump's Favourite Athlete of All Time poll is 8-)
LopenUupunut

Postby j-a-m » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 am

marknhj wrote:I have a five year old iPad nano that I use in the gym as you can stick it in your pocket and barely notice it's there.

Yeah, old ipod has the advantage that it wouldn't matter much if it gets lost or stolen; different story with an iphone. And as you point out, ipod nano is still much smaller than iphone.
j-a-m

PreviousNext