You, A Desert Island & Your iPod

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby gh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:11 am

tandfman wrote:I have around 1,000 LP's, mostly classical and opera. I am painfully aware that I will probably never again listen to even 10 percent of them, especially since most of the things I really enjoy listening to I also own in CD form. And all of this stuff takes up a helluva lot more space than an iPod, which I don't own. None of this is ever likely to change.

I bet chances are good that you also said you'd never own a CD player, a DVD player, a cell phone, a smart phone, a.........
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:43 am

None of those involve carrying around bulky headphones or having little things sticking in my ears. But I must confess that I was among the last kids on my block to acquire all of the other toys you've mentioned. I have them all now, but you probably had each of them years before I did.
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:12 am

If you live in California--and I assume other states by now--to use your phone while driving requires little things sticking in your ear (or an expensive speaker-box system)
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:36 am

CA, CT, NJ, NY, WA plus DC and the Virgin Islands. A few others (AK, LA, MN) ban text messaging while driving. (Oddly, NY lets you text message but not talk on a cell phone.)

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws ... _laws.html
tandfman

Re: cover versions abound, from Bing Crosby to Gheorghe Zamf

Postby wineturtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:01 am

wineturtle wrote:Does anyone have a link to Todd Duncan doing Unchained Melody either as a clip from Unchained or as a stand alone song?

Thanks

Anyone?
wineturtle

Postby cullman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:18 pm

I'm still looking...been sidetracked because I've stumbled on a few other unexpected gems. That internet is one effing big place.

cman
cullman

Postby gh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:14 am

I have a deep philosophical question. Since I no longer own an iPod (my iPhone holds a quantum number more tracks) can I qualify for being "stranded" on a desert island if I have a phone?
gh

Postby Daisy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:45 am

gh wrote:I have a deep philosophical question. Since I no longer own an iPod (my iPhone holds a quantum number more tracks) can I qualify for being "stranded" on a desert island if I have a phone?

I'm assuming that the reception on an uncharted desert island might be a bit weak. Or is this a satelite phone with global coverage?
Daisy

Postby gh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 am

did anybody ever mention than unless everone's iPod has a solar panel (or there happens to be a socket in the nearby coconut tree) nobody would get through their play list many times anyway?
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Are you trying to kill the un-killable thread? :)
tandfman

Postby Daisy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:20 pm

gh wrote:did anybody ever mention than unless everone's iPod has a solar panel

Knowing Apple that will be next. Or the nuclear battery that JRM keeps mentioning.
Daisy

Postby Davidokun » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Daisy wrote:
gh wrote:did anybody ever mention than unless everone's iPod has a solar panel (or there happens to be a socket in the nearby coconut tree) nobody would get through their play list many times anyway?

Knowing Apple that will be next. Or the nuclear battery that JRM keeps mentioning.

A solar-powered charger is already available: http://www.solio.com/charger/
Davidokun

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:38 am

gh wrote:I bet chances are good that you also said you'd never own a CD player, a DVD player, a cell phone, a smart phone, a.........

Quiet, please.

I'm busy writing anti-government/technology treatises from my cabin in the Montana wilderness.
Brian

Postby AS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:22 pm

In search of my desert island preferences I have begun listening to each album in my collection at least once... I'm 25 in, about 1200 to go...

See this blog for progress so far:
http://onealbumaday.wordpress.com/about/
AS

It might have already happened

Postby wineturtle » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:33 pm

tandfman wrote:Are you trying to kill the un-killable thread? :)

I have a strong feeling this thread is the basis for they next story arc on LOST .
wineturtle

Postby DrJay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Anyone checked out Netflix for their collection of music videos? They have a ton. Just watched "Genesis: The Gabriel Era", which was a reasonable 110 minute documentary with commentary from seven or eight music critics, footage of studio performances a la early MTV, and live footage of "The Knife", "The Musical Box" and others. Seeing vintage Peter Gabriel from c. 1972 was pretty cool for this kid who missed the Genesis party.
DrJay

Postby tandfman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:17 am

gh wrote:did anybody ever mention than unless everone's iPod has a solar panel (or there happens to be a socket in the nearby coconut tree) nobody would get through their play list many times anyway?

http://www.newyorker.com/images/2009/06 ... 2_p465.gif
tandfman

Postby gh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:24 am

AS wrote:In search of my desert island preferences I have begun listening to each album in my collection at least once... I'm 25 in, about 1200 to go...

See this blog for progress so far:
http://onealbumaday.wordpress.com/about/

What a stunning bit of work! That's a fine example of what makes the cyberworld such a wonderful tool.

ps--don't bother coming over to my house! I own none of the Albums in your top 20. (and i suspect the reverse would be true as well)
gh

Postby Daisy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 am

Billy Bragg - "Back to Basics"

I love this quote:
AS, on his blog, wrote:Billy’s voice is raw as hell. He rarely hits a note or if he does he certainly doesn’t hold it for long.
Daisy

Re: You, A Desert Island & Your iPod

Postby gh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 am

gh wrote:oh crap! I had no idea what a tough task I was setting. I can't believe I've come up w/ a top 10 that doesn't have any Van Morrison on it. Here's today's top 10; tomorrow I could easily do another(s)!

Beatles--Hey Jude
Dire Straits--Why Worry
Bob Dylan--Desolation Row
George Jones--Color Of The Blue
Merle Haggard & Willie Nelson--Reasons To Quit
Simon & Garfunkel--April Come She Will
The Doors--The End
Leonard Cohen--The Partisan
Rolling Stones--Dead Flowers
Metallica--One

I would, of course, trade all of those for Götterdämmerung.

wow, was it 5 years ago already I made these choices? Can't say I'd dupe it today, but anything different that comes on the list hasn't been made in the last 5 years.
gh

Postby AS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Current top 10 from my reviews (but I've only done the letters A & B (plus 7 from C):

The Black Keys – “Rubber Factory”
The Beastie Boys – “Paul’s Boutique”
James Brown – “Star Time Disk Two”
Buffalo Tom – “Let Me Come Over”
Lily Allen – “Alright, still…”
James Brown – “Star Time Disk Three”
The Audreys – “Between Last Night and Us”
Ryan Adams – “Heartbreaker”
Dan Brodie and The Broken Arrows – “Empty Arms, Broken Hearts”
James Brown – “Star Time Disk One”

See full list (134 so far) here: http://onealbumaday.wordpress.com/all-t ... ar-ranked/
AS

Postby AS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:49 pm

And if you wanna see another blogger having a look at the "great songs" of our time check out http://500songsin500days.blogspot.com/

He's working his way through Rolling Stone mag's top 500 songs of all time...

And I love this quote from today's:

"If [Johnny] Cash is the substance-abusing, suicidal father of country music, [Willie] Nelson is the drunken, stoner uncle who's always smiling."
AS

Postby DrJay » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Just got in from seeing Yes and Asia in Denver. Excellent show. Don't care too much for Asia's music, too pop, but they covered "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Fanfare For the Common Man" and both were great. Carl Palmer is drumming for Asia and at about age 60 is still a beast. However, Alan White on drums for Yes looked like he was close to needing the defibrillator at the end of the show. Steve Howe played both bands and was really on and having a great time. Yes's chat room has two gals that rival Marlow with some 36,000 posts each. Both were at a pre-show beer and burgers gathering we attended, one coming from Australia for four western shows. The gathering was like going back through the Time Tunnel to the 1970s. It was a hoot.
DrJay

Postby gh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:04 pm

are you shitting me? Somebody covered Court of the Crimson King and Fanfare For The Common Man (both staples on my iPhone) in the same show?! wow.
gh

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am

gh wrote:are you shitting me? Somebody covered Court of the Crimson King and Fanfare For The Common Man (both staples on my iPhone) in the same show?! wow.

"Court of the Crimson King" was great. "Fanfare" didn't track the studio version closely enough for me, wandered a bit but seemed to leave out some sections. Good, but not great, but it incorporated a Carl Palmer drum solo, which is hard to beat (no pun intended!)
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am

Anyone see the 40th anniversary Woodstock documentary on VH1? I caught it the night this forum went locked for the WC. It was pretty good, 2 hours long. "Modern day" interviews with some of the protagonists such as the main organizer Michael Lang, the financial backer, folks who filmed and edited the original "Woodstock" movie, Carlos Santana, Michael Shrieve (Santana's drummer), Country Joe McDonald, Richie Havens, people who were in attendance (including the couple who are on the cover of the albumstanding togther in a blanket), and even Wavy Gravy from the Hog Farm (who, sad to say, weighs as much as a full-grown hog these days). A nice compliment to the movie "Woodstock", worth seeing if they broadcast it again.
DrJay

Postby BisonHurdler » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 am

DrJay wrote:However, Alan White on drums for Yes looked like he was close to needing the defibrillator at the end of the show.

That's too bad. I would've loved to have seen him play Heart of the Sunrise 30 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYomCXsoaI

(I don't think this violates copyright rules here . . . it's one of the most bootlegged YES shows ever, I'm pretty sure. I'm not too bright, so these copyright laws never seem clear cut to me).
BisonHurdler

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 pm

BruceFlorman wrote:
gh wrote:I have a friend this weekend whose iPod is scheduled to go over the 50,000-song barrier. Make that iPods, as one is no longer enough, obviously.

If the songs average 3 minutes in length (and that's probably a bit low) it would take more than 104 days to listen to them all even if you consider it "listening" when you're asleep. So I gotta wonder if there isn't some material there that's been heard once and never again.

I recently broke the 20,000 barrier. When set on random, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, or Pink Floyd (I have the complete discography of each) appear at least once out of every dozen songs. Never thought much about how deep their catalogs were until now.
Cooter Brown

Postby scottmitchell74 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Metal, metal, metal, metal, The Cranberries, metal, metal, metal, metal.....
scottmitchell74

Postby gh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:52 am

I've tried to keep my list to close to 5000 pieces, just for managability, so every once in a while I'll purge lesser songs from a lesser album.
gh

Postby Cooter Brown » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:36 am

gh wrote:I've tried to keep my list to close to 5000 pieces, just for managability, so every once in a while I'll purge lesser songs from a lesser album.

I used to do that but it got to be such a chore that I bought an iPod classic with the 120 GB hard drive so I can store everything...until I break 120 GB. Then I have no idea what to do!
Cooter Brown

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:51 am

Cooter Brown wrote:I used to do that but it got to be such a chore that I bought an iPod classic with the 120 GB hard drive so I can store everything...until I break 120 GB. Then I have no idea what to do!

Speaking of memory capacity (and trying to get this thread to the 1K mark), I saw my first Terabyte (TB) hard-drive for sale - only $99! How long before TBs become the standard for such things as iPods? And do we really need a TRILLION bytes of info for our everyday affairs?
Marlow

Postby skyin' brian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:06 am

Marlow wrote:Speaking of memory capacity (and trying to get this thread to the 1K mark), I saw my first Terabyte (TB) hard-drive for sale - only $99! How long before TBs become the standard for such things as iPods? And do we really need a TRILLION bytes of info for our everyday affairs?

Nah, 640KB should be anough for anybody.

Note: Some quick internet research tells me that the above statement was never actually made by Bill Gates.
skyin' brian

Postby gh » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:32 am

Cooter Brown wrote:
gh wrote:I've tried to keep my list to close to 5000 pieces, just for managability, so every once in a while I'll purge lesser songs from a lesser album.

I used to do that but it got to be such a chore that I bought an iPod classic with the 120 GB hard drive so I can store everything...until I break 120 GB. Then I have no idea what to do!

I find it easier to keep the list pared down (and to do Smart Playlists) than to have to manipulate that many pieces of data.
gh

Postby DrJay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:12 pm

My children, ages 10 and 8, look to be wanting iPods from Santa this year. Boy, at that age, I was excited getting Hot Wheels and a good board game like Life.
DrJay

Postby wineturtle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:46 am

DrJay wrote:My children, ages 10 and 8, look to be wanting iPods from Santa this year. Boy, at that age, I was excited getting Hot Wheels and a good board game like Life.

When I was eight if you wanted to use a computer your only choice was to rent some time on Princetons computer, handcranked Robert the Robot was the toy du jour and The Chordettes were singing ~Mr.Sandman~on a 45!
wineturtle

Postby gh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Keeping lists pared down is a bitch if you have the Genius Bar working in iTunes (works for both Macs and PCs, as far as I know). That means that, if you let it, the iTunes store will run a scan on your entire music library (big brother is watching!) and any time you play a song, it checks your library against other songs availalbe in the genre/artist, and subtly suggests, "psst, sailor, only 99 cents!" And of course, as soon as you buy and download, that leads you to something else, and those little 99s (not even a buck!) turn into a dozen or so in a matter of minutes.

All those songs you forgot from yesteryear, there at your beck and call, without having to buy a whole album of crapola!
gh

Postby gm » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:59 pm

DrJay wrote:My children, ages 10 and 8, look to be wanting iPods from Santa this year. Boy, at that age, I was excited getting Hot Wheels and a good board game like Life.

Give them the board game and Hot Wheels. Their ears will thank you later.
gm

Postby Friar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Top 5 transition instumentals (played to end the hour) of the 60's:
5. Lonely Bull - Alpert
4. Soulful Strut -?
3. Good Bad Ugly- H.Montenegro
2. In Crowd- Ramsey Lewis
1. Soul Coaxing - R.Lefevre
Friar

Postby wineturtle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 am

Friar wrote:Top 5 transition instumentals (played to end the hour) of the 60's:

4. Soulful Strut -Young-Holt Unlimited-Eldee Young-bass, Ken Chaney-piano, Issac Holt-drums
wineturtle

PreviousNext