You, A Desert Island & Your iPod

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: You, A Desert Island & Your iPod

Postby lonewolf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 am

I have purposely never opened this thread because I don't know even what an IPod is.. I think it is fitting that I post #1000.. or is it #1001?
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:06 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have purposely never opened this thread because I don't know even what an IPod is.. I think it is fitting that I post #1000.. or is it #1001?

1000 - how appropriate that the guy with the most years caps the thread with the most posts! :D
Marlow

Postby gh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 pm

gh wrote:
DrJay wrote:....
Got any favorite Xmas music? ...

I refuse to ansewr any such questions until December!

And a late entry (but hey, with the iTunes Store, it's always "just in time"!) into the sweepstakes: Bob Dylan's Christmas In The Heart

Robert Z croacking his way through lots of old standards, sounding like a cross between Louis Armstrong and Tom Waits. Sneak peeks available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Heart-B ... 588&sr=1-1
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:00 pm

tandfman

Postby gh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 am

let me reopen our longest thread ever by asking the most elemental of questions: how many people actually own iPods anymore?

With the advent of high-capacity iPhones and the introduction of the iPad, I no longer have such a machine (or if I do, it's hiding in my man-drawer somewhere, long forgotten and buried).
gh

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am

What's an Ipod?.. I tend to lag electronic development by about three generations..I still have one car with a perfectly functioning 8-track and a couple with cassette players but I understand the cassette has largely been replace by a round disc thing.. :?
lonewolf

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I have a couple of the ipod shuffles. With the wireless headphones that the ipod fits into, great to work out in, or whatever, with no wires.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Never had a Walkman or IPod (or whatever came in between). Have a smart-phone, but I'm too dumb to use it for music (I turn it on to make a call, then turn it off again; no one even tries to call me on it - I do, however, sometimes also use it to check e-mail and surf the web, so there is hope for me yet).

On the other hand I play Pandora all day long - current shuffle is Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, Billy Idol, Van Halen, Kings of Leon, and Cat Stevens (!). I mix that up every coupla weeks. The nice thing is that it picks other artists like these, so I get a variety, even heard Gotye the other day!
Marlow

Postby marknhj » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm

I have a five year old iPad nano that I use in the gym as you can stick it in your pocket and barely notice it's there. Sometimes use my iPhone for the same as it contains some different music (although the phone/text/email functions can be distracting). Have my main library on an iPad which I use to play recordings and streaming radio on my decent speakers wirelessly through an Apple TV device. Also use it on it's own for music when I'm traveling. Will probably have an iPhone 5 by the end of the month and my old phone will become strictly an iPod that I'll use to store infrequently listened-to music.
marknhj

Postby kuha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm

gh wrote:let me reopen our longest thread ever by asking the most elemental of questions: how many people actually own iPods anymore?

:lol: I never got one so--I guess--I was ahead of the curve in dumping them.
kuha

Postby DrJay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I was late to the iPhone scene, have had one about a year, and have just started using the music function a lot, so the iPod is staying home in the drawer. I'm actually starting to learn French with my daughter (Living Language CDs and workbooks) so loading the audio on the iPhone has made that really convenient. Now just need to add in some self-discipline.
DrJay

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Was spectating a soccer game recently..son-in-law laid his fancy phone down on the bleacher seat by me and his six year old son while he videoed the game..phone rang.. the six year old was the only one around who knew how to answer it. :(
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:10 pm

I've never owned an Apple gizmo of any kind-phone, pad, pod, computer, or whatever else they make. Probably never will. Mrs. tandfman, on the other hand, has all four of those. I've never seen her do anything with them that makes me say "I gotta get me one uh them things."
tandfman

Postby LopenUupunut » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 am

gh wrote:let me reopen our longest thread ever by asking the most elemental of questions: how many people actually own iPods anymore?
This is no longer our longest thread ever. Mump's Favourite Athlete of All Time poll is 8-)
LopenUupunut

Postby j-a-m » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 am

marknhj wrote:I have a five year old iPad nano that I use in the gym as you can stick it in your pocket and barely notice it's there.

Yeah, old ipod has the advantage that it wouldn't matter much if it gets lost or stolen; different story with an iphone. And as you point out, ipod nano is still much smaller than iphone.
j-a-m

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 am

Meanwhile more trouble for Apple on the labor front.

As Apple prepares to unveil its latest iPhone this week, the company’s manufacturing partner in China, Foxconn Technology, is coming under renewed criticism over labor practices. Foxconn has been accused of compelling vocational students to work at plants making iPhones and their components, report David Barboza and Charles Duhigg in Tuesday’s New York Times.

Additionally, last week Chinese state-run news media reported that several vocational schools in the city of Huai’an, in eastern China, required hundreds of students to work on assembly lines at a Foxconn plant to help ease worker shortages. According to one of the articles, Huai’an students were ordered to manufacture cables for Apple’s new iPhone 5, which is expected to be introduced on Wednesday.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/1 ... n-iphones/
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: You, a Desert Island & Your iPod

Postby Davidokun » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Still have a fourth-generation, 60-GB Classic (Photo). Just barely enough capacity for my entire digital music library. Hadn't used it for a while, but started again recently.

When I'm home, I often use my computer to drive my stereo, and usually let iTunes make the selections. I carry the iPod in my backpack, along with a variety of interface cables, so I can do the same when I'm away from home.

Bought a new computer in August 2011. It was burgled in February 2012, so I reverted back to using my old computer. During the Olympics, my old computer died, so I whipped out my old iPod, and kept on truckin'.
Davidokun

Postby gh » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:29 pm

speaking of goldie-oldie threads that don't deserve to die!.....

ps--does anybody other than a few joggers actually own/use an iPod anymore, in the smart phone/tablet era?
gh

Postby mump boy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 pm

gh wrote:speaking of goldie-oldie threads that don't deserve to die!.....

ps--does anybody other than a few joggers actually own/use an iPod anymore, in the smart phone/tablet era?

I do i have absolutely no idea or interest in putting music on my phone
mump boy

Postby odelltrclan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:05 pm

gh wrote:speaking of goldie-oldie threads that don't deserve to die!.....

Since most of the music I listen to is while at work, Itunes on my computer works best. I don't want it on my phone. I don't mind having separate devices.
odelltrclan

Re:

Postby DrJay » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 am

MJD wrote:This is the channel(Soul Train) I have been listening to the most since getting a Sirius subscription. Don't tell me for one second that rap and all the other detritus on the air these days is "just as good" and it is a generational thing. Crap is crap.

Top 40 Artists Last
Week on Channel 53
Rank Artist Spins
1 James Brown 71
2 Aretha Franklin 59
3 Stevie Wonder 56
4 Temptations 55
4 Gladys Knight & The Pi 55
6 Marvin Gaye 53
6 Earth, Wind & Fire 53
8 Spinners 50
9 O'Jays 48
9 Al Green 48
11 Isley Brothers 42
12 Jackson 5 41
13 Sly & The Family Stone 39
13 Commodores 39
13 Four Tops 39
16 Supremes 36
17 Barry White 33
18 Smokey Robinson & The M 31
19 Harold Melvin & The Bl 30
19 Stylistics 30
21 War 28
21 Wilson Pickett 28
21 Rufus and Chaka Khan 28
24 Teddy Pendergrass 26
25 Curtis Mayfield 24
26 Impressions 22
27 Rose Royce 20
28 Isaac Hayes 19
28 Natalie Cole 19
30 Bobby Womack 18
30 Staple Singers 18
30 The Dells 18
33 Dramatics 17
33 Chi-Lites 17
33 Brick 17
36 Eddie Kendricks 16
36 Jackie Wilson 16
36 Blackbyrds 16
39 Brothers Johnson 15
39 Martha Reeves & the Vandellas 15

I've got maybe 300 R&B songs on my iPod, and all but about 6 of the top 30 artists above are represented, and I know not everyone can be in the top ten, but every time a Dells song plays I think, man, that's some awesome music, and well put together/recorded/engineered. Every bit as good as The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, EWF, and The Spinners. Maybe not as popular or well-known since they came along a bit earlier.
DrJay

Postby gh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 am

as mentioned on another thread a few months back I noted that my internet radio fave is 57chevyradio.com, which covers 1955-1969 (and the site always has a 10-deep playlist of most-recently played)

One thing that keeps coming up, predictably, is that I hear a song and say, "i really like that; if I don't have it on my iPad I need to download it." And I frequently do.

What surprises me is that there's one artist more than any other who keeps catching my attention: would you believe Dion (with or without the Belmonts)?
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm reading an article about cancer, smoking-related deaths, and they mention George Harrison, who, get this, "was a member of the supergroup . . . [hold on] . . . the BEATLES!" :shock:

Isn't that like referring to the Gospels as "that best-selling book, The Bible"?
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:02 am

You mean the Track & Field News of the Real World?
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 am

tandfman wrote:You mean the Track & Field News of the Real World?

Zackly
"I read it in the Bible, y'know, the T&FN for Christians."

edit - this month is this thread's 10-year anniversery - is that a record for a continuing thread? Is it still the only 1000-reply thread? Jus' wonderin'.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:21 pm

So now, with the College Football 2013 thread locked, we now need only 99 more replies on this thread to take the lead back. :)

(Or did I miss one somewhere?)
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Last winter's "Favorite Athlete" thread has 1564 replies.
DrJay

Postby tandfman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:36 pm

DrJay wrote:Last winter's "Favorite Athlete" thread has 1564 replies.

We'll never catch that, unless they turn off the anti-spam filters. :)
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Holy music library, Batman! I have no idea why nobody has raved about "Spotify" on this thread or any other (OK, it was mentioned once in another thread.) A friend showed me recently and I just downloaded it. Free music, with some commercials, just about anything you could ever want to listen to. Old Pink Floyd I never bought, like The Piper at the Gates? It's all there. Steve Howe albums (YES's guitarist) I never got, like Beginnings? That, too. All of it. All of his work. And a lot of albums look to have extras....takes, acoustic versions, or even entire songs that never saw vinyl. My 12 yo downloaded it right after I did and she's amazed. I am, too. Or am I missing something?
DrJay

Postby Marlow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 pm

DrJay wrote:am I missing something?

Pandora?
Spotify has some important gaps in their artists.
Marlow

Previous