Best Movie That Didn't Win The Oscar?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Best Movie That Didn't Win The Oscar?

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 pm

bijanc wrote:"Raging Bull" never did it for me (HUGE fight fan, avid film buff, child of 1960's, believe DeNiro is best in biz).

Oldtimers may recall my 2008 post about my unrequited pursuit of the blonde "Raging Bull" actress that got away.
By grand coincidence, she called me this week to talk about the good times. Seems the age difference is no longer of great concern to her... and who knew houses in Malibu could be endangered when royalties run out?
lonewolf

Postby Bob Duncan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Apocalypto is a great film. It should have cleaned up at the Oscars in 2007 but didn't receive even a single nomination in any of the major categories.
Bob Duncan

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:24 am

Bob Duncan wrote:Apocalypto didn't receive even a single nomination in any of the major categories.

Good. Kudos to the Academy.
Pego

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 am

Yet another great film, totally ignored for Oscar Awards, was Gran Torino. Eastwood should've won Best Director and Best Actor for that one.
Bob Duncan

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:53 am

Bob Duncan wrote:Yet another great film, totally ignored for Oscar Awards, was Gran Torino. Eastwood should've won Best Director and Best Actor for that one.

I agree here :wink: .
Pego

Postby bijanc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:04 am

If the category were worst best pic ever voted for, my choice would be "Crash". Peeped it in the theatre, thought it was very far fetched that those worlds would entwine, there were some unexplained elements about the illegal aliens in the van and other details, and the best actors really only had cameos. We didn't even leave the theatre thinking it was that good a film, much less Oscar-worthy. The message was admirable, the delivery so-so.
bijanc

Postby Flumpy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:27 am

I adore 'Crash'. It's wonderful. I don't think it's supposed to be taken as a realistic depiction of race relations in L.A. I see it more as a parable or a fairy tale and on that basis it works beautifully.
Last edited by Flumpy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flumpy

Postby batonless relay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 am

bijanc wrote:If the category were worst best pic ever voted for, my choice would be "Crash". Peeped it in the theatre, thought it was very far fetched that those worlds would entwine, there were some unexplained elements about the illegal aliens in the van and other details, and the best actors really only had cameos. We didn't even leave the theatre thinking it was that good a film, much less Oscar-worthy. The message was admirable, the delivery so-so.

Both "Crash" and "Traffic" (which didn't win) were completely undeserving of Oscar nominations. They're the type of movies that people can safely watch from "the outside" and declare themselves knowledgable...as if the plot and story isn't trite, derivative and obvious. It's why so many people like "The Sopranos"; they get to report back to their insular worlds that they know what the mob, New Jersey or even American Italians are like. UGH! It's an illusion to the grit for only the blissfully unaware.

Marissa Tomei and Halle Berry would also fall into the undeserving of Oscars category. I loved Schindler's List but The Piano was better and should have won.

In the '80s there were a few movies that could have won had they been made today. I think the competition at the time (and probably before then was much stiffer)
batonless relay

Postby jeremyp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 am

Bob Duncan wrote:Yet another great film, totally ignored for Oscar Awards, was Gran Torino. Eastwood should've won Best Director and Best Actor for that one.

Chacun a son goute. Hated the movie and Eastwood's reprisal (again and again) of Dirty Harry grumpy old white guy.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 am

Crash certainly ranks up there as undeserving. It won because it's a California "semi cereberal (for California) movie. I hated "The Artist."
jeremyp

Postby Flumpy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 am

It won because elderly straight men in the Academy refused to vote for that gay cowboy movie.
Flumpy

Postby bijanc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am

Flumpy's right about "Crash". It was a snub. As for Berry, neiher he performance in "Monster's Ball", nor Denzel Washington's (a much superior actor) in "Training Day", occurred in an Oscar-worthy film. "Hurricane", "Inside Man", "Malcolm X", and "Remember the Titans" are movies- both "Training Day" and "Monster's Ball" were so sleazy, I would never show a relative under 16, or classroom of students under PG age, the first films since Poitier for which Black Americans won Best Actor/Actress.
bijanc

Postby gh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:24 am

jeremyp wrote:

Chacun a son goute. Hated the movie and Eastwood's reprisal (again and again) of Dirty Harry grumpy old white guy.

I enjoyed the movie, if for no other reason than that I've had an appreciation for everything Eastwood has ever done (OK, maybe The Beguiled aside).

But a Director or Actor award? Nah. The movie was predictably formulaic, and I actually found myself laughing several times watching Clint try so hard to get that trademark scowl in place and maybe take it to another level.
gh

Postby batonless relay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 am

White men snubbing gay men in Hollywood? :lol: "Brokeback" was definitely not snubbed. If anyone was snubbed it was Spielberg (who may be the master of the snub), "Munich" was better than "Brokeback" (The Crying Game reminded me of Brokeback and that was a WAY overhyped movie;). Schindler is Spielberg's only best picture. Is there a more snubbed director? Or did the others actually earn it? "Ghandi" beat "E.T." "Out of Africa" beat "The Color Purple". "Shakespeare in Love" beat "Saving Private Ryan". "Argo"?!?!? I saw it; I liked it, but best picture?
batonless relay

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Bob Duncan wrote:Apocalypto is a great film. It should have cleaned up at the Oscars in 2007 but didn't receive even a single nomination in any of the major categories.

I don't remember which came first; the deadline for Academy members to submit their names and films for nomination consideration, or Mel Gibson being pulled over, absolutely sloppy drunk, uttering all sorts of offensive language to the cops who pulled him over. That probably cost him any chance of his film getting nominated for even ONE Oscar.
CookyMonzta

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:50 pm

batonless relay wrote:Marissa Tomei and Halle Berry would also fall into the undeserving of Oscars category. I loved Schindler's List but The Piano was better and should have won.

In the '80s there were a few movies that could have won had they been made today. I think the competition at the time (and probably before then was much stiffer)

Tomei benefited from the presence of 2 actresses with equally exceptional performances, both of whom split the vote between them and knocked each other out while Tomei walked in and took it by default. Berry deserved her Oscar, although the role she was given was, I thought, beneath her, yet she made the very best of it.

As for the 1980s, I thought Aliens should have been nominated along with Sigourney Weaver. Science fiction gets absolutely no respect in the movie world. It took an alarmingly expensive production to get Avatar nominated (though I thought The Hurt Locker deserved to win). 2001: A Space Odyssey should have been nominated and won.
Last edited by CookyMonzta on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CookyMonzta

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 pm

batonless relay wrote:White men snubbing gay men in Hollywood? :lol: "Brokeback" was definitely not snubbed. If anyone was snubbed it was Spielberg (who may be the master of the snub), "Munich" was better than "Brokeback" (The Crying Game reminded me of Brokeback and that was a WAY overhyped movie;). Schindler is Spielberg's only best picture. Is there a more snubbed director? Or did the others actually earn it? "Ghandi" beat "E.T." "Out of Africa" beat "The Color Purple". "Shakespeare in Love" beat "Saving Private Ryan". "Argo"?!?!? I saw it; I liked it, but best picture?

Sympathy for Ben Affleck for not being nominated for director, which I think tarnished the end result for best picture.
CookyMonzta

Postby jeremyp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 am

CookyMonzta wrote:
Bob Duncan wrote:Apocalypto is a great film. It should have cleaned up at the Oscars in 2007 but didn't receive even a single nomination in any of the major categories.

I don't remember which came first; the deadline for Academy members to submit their names and films for nomination consideration, or Mel Gibson being pulled over, absolutely sloppy drunk, uttering all sorts of offensive language to the cops who pulled him over. That probably cost him any chance of his film getting nominated for even ONE Oscar.

Agreed! I've seen it 4 times and it's never waned as a great movie for me. On a side note I showed it to a bunch of old white successful but mostly non college guys in my condo a few years back and the feedback went from "great" to "didn't understand it." It ranks with "The Emerald Forest" for unappreciated movies about South American indigenous tribes.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 am

I rarely walk out mid-movie (Borat!!), but walking out on this one was a no-brainer. Gibson's moral compass is more mis-aligned than Q Tarantino's.
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 am

Marlow wrote:

I rarely walk out mid-movie (Borat!!), but walking out on this one was a no-brainer. Gibson's moral compass is more mis-aligned than Q Tarantino's.

Misaligned? How so? Or just misaligned to YOUR compass? Tarantino has a body of work that some may question runs afoul of their OWN "moral compass" but Gibson? :?
batonless relay

Postby Marlow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 am

batonless relay wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Misaligned? How so? Or just misaligned to YOUR compass? Tarantino has a body of work that some may question runs afoul of their OWN "moral compass" but Gibson? :?

The lurid, gratuitously violent scenes in the movie tell me everything I need to know about the director. It's one thing to include violence inherent to the film's 'message' (The Wild Bunch springs to mind), but it's another to wallow in it - in a sense, glorify it - sensationalistically. Mel, as we now know, is a troubled man.
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 am

I still don't follow you. You said a few posts up...
Marlow wrote:Gibson's moral compass is more mis-aligned than Q Tarantino's.

How is Gibson more misaligned than Tarantino? Where is Gibson's Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Grindhouse, Inglorious Basterds or even Django Unchained? I would say that it doesn't exist and even less seasoned movie goers would agree with me. It seems that you are allowing your dislike of Gibson to color your view of his theatrical work and that wouldn't be so bad, but you're making declarations as if we should ALL feel that way when there is no evidence (and none that you've given, by the way) that he's "more misaligned than Tarantino" or even that he's "troubled" ("we" certainly don't know that). Unless you've evaluated him professionally then you are trying to be the PC police; telling us who we should and shouldn't like based upon your own assumptions of what kind of person Gibson is. There seems to be no other way for you to explain your comments that Gibson is "more misaligned tahn Tarantino" when Gibson's body of work (aside from Mad Max and Lethal Weapon) includes Braveheart, The Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto.

The closest I could possibly get to Tarantino is anything Frank Miller inspired (Zack Snyder: 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch) or maybe a Judd Apatow (and Friends-Will Farrell, Seth Rogen...), Farrelly Brothers or even the Coen Brothers, but Gibson? Not even close...
batonless relay

Postby jeremyp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Marlow wrote:
The lurid, gratuitously violent scenes in the movie tell me everything I need to know about the director. It's one thing to include violence inherent to the film's 'message' (The Wild Bunch springs to mind), but it's another to wallow in it - in a sense, glorify it - sensationalistically. Mel, as we now know, is a troubled man.

Once again we are 180 apart. The violence was apropos to the times. Human sacrificies; jungle tribal violence....Hello!!!!!!!! Mel may be a troubled mind but his directorial skills are excellent. Now if it had been a super hero!!!!!!!!!
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:27 pm

jeremyp wrote:Once again we are 180 apart. The violence was apropos to the times. Human sacrificies; jungle tribal violence....Hello!!!!!!!! Mel may be a troubled mind but his directorial skills are excellent.

That was never in question. I think he's a very competent director (and actor). I (yes, just me) question his 'morality' (which is probably a valueless word itself in this context) and I do that by walking out. Your mileage may vary. :?
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:49 pm

If it honestly was about the 'morality' of Gibson, then the sensible thing would have been to NOT walk IN; walking out would have been something of a show - a PR stunt for your personal newsreel to broadcast to everyone else a 'moral' superiority ("I walked OUT of THAT movie!*"), especially knowing that his 'morality' was an issue. And, if Gibson's morality was such a big issue -and Gibson's morality pales in comparison to some of the more egregious directors- then how is it possible that you go to the movies at all? Unless you're a hypocrite. Which is alright, I guess; most of us are. But if you can't iron out your own 'morality' then how can you tell the rest of us what it is. Gibson's 'morality' is worse than Tarantino's? Where? Which film? Nothing Gibson has done is as sophmoric and morally challenged as The Hangover. Why would you watch it given your moral compass that only points due north?

*Back in 2010 you said that you had no problem with The Passion of the Christ being in Aramaic but then 'morality' kicked in and you walked out of Apocalypto? I'm missing the whole Gibson's morals are so bad that you won't watch his movies. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40800&p=668498&hilit=The+Passion+of+the+Christ#p668498
batonless relay

Postby Marlow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

batonless relay wrote:If it honestly was about the 'morality' of Gibson, then the sensible thing would have been to NOT walk IN; walking out would have been something of a show - a PR stunt for your personal newsreel to broadcast to everyone else a 'moral' superiority ("I walked OUT of THAT movie!*"), especially knowing that his 'morality' was an issue. And, if Gibson's morality was such a big issue -and Gibson's morality pales in comparison to some of the more egregious directors- then how is it possible that you go to the movies at all? Unless you're a hypocrite. Which is alright, I guess; most of us are. But if you can't iron out your own 'morality' then how can you tell the rest of us what it is. Gibson's 'morality' is worse than Tarantino's? Where? Which film? Nothing Gibson has done is as sophmoric and morally challenged as The Hangover. Why would you watch it given your moral compass that only points due north?
*Back in 2010 you said that you had no problem with The Passion of the Christ being in Aramaic but then 'morality' kicked in and you walked out of Apocalypto? I'm missing the whole Gibson's morals are so bad that you won't watch his movies. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40800&p=668498&hilit=The+Passion+of+the+Christ#p668498

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. Almost none of that made any sense to me. I guess I could enumerate, point by point, how your ideas have no rationality to me, but that would also be a truly futile exercise, no?
Marlow

Postby Flumpy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 am

CookyMonzta wrote:Tomei benefited from the presence of 2 actresses with equally exceptional performances, both of whom split the vote between them and knocked each other out while Tomei walked in and took it by default. won.

That's not what happened. People often talk of vote splitting and it seldom makes any sense.

Tomei won because.........

1- She was the only American in the lineup. 9 times out of 10 if there is only one American to vote for the Academy does so.

2 - Comic relief. In a list overloaded with some of the worlds great great dramatic actresses giving full on dramatic performances her comedy turn stood out.

3 - She's REALLY good. I'd have gone for Davis but Tomei is 2nd in my book.
Flumpy

Postby batonless relay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 am

Marlow, I don't think you could enumerate. It has nothing to do with if you understand, it has to do with the fact that you know that you made a statement with no bearing in logic (ironic that you would now want to do a "point by point"). You said that Gibson's "moral compass is MORE mis-aligned than Tarantino" (emphasis mine) and when asked to give even one example you didn't. You didn't NOT because you couldn't but because then you would have to admit that you made an erroneous statement; that you have no evidence that Gibson's moral compass is more misaligned, and we all know that you can't do that because then it would crush your whole morals soapbox that you've hoisted yourself upon. I get it.

Flumpy wrote:Tomei won because.........
3 - She's REALLY good. I'd have gone for Davis but Tomei is 2nd in my book.

I'm not saying that she's not good, just like I'm not saying that Halle or Denzel are no good. They're great! But, were they deserving? In my book, no.
batonless relay

Postby Marlow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 am

batonless relay wrote:I get it.

Hardly. But you will.
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 am

Marlow wrote:
batonless relay wrote:I get it.

Hardly. But you will.

I am always shocked by how someone who unashamedly claims to be so morally superior is always so quick to go low. So to get back on point...

...Please show where "Gibson's moral compass is more mis-aligned than Tarantino's".
batonless relay

Postby Marlow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:14 am

batonless relay wrote:I am always shocked by how someone who unashamedly claims to be so morally superior

sigh . . . my opinion that Gibson's moral compass is mis-aligned is just that: an opinion. You have your 'morals', I have mine. It is self-evident that you think YOUR 'morals' are better than mine or you wouldn't even be raising the issue, so where does that leave you?

The one benefit to having posted a zillion times on this forum is that I can instantly recognize a completely pointless 'debate', which this little tete-a-tete most definitely is (and which the moderator hates), hence my excusing myself from its furtherance. You are welcome to continue without me . . . :D
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 am

Marlow wrote:
batonless relay wrote:I am always shocked by how someone who unashamedly claims to be so morally superior

sigh . . . my opinion that Gibson's moral compass is mis-aligned is just that: an opinion. You have your 'morals', I have mine. It is self-evident that you think YOUR 'morals' are better than mine or you wouldn't even be raising the issue, so where does that leave you?

The one benefit to having posted a zillion times on this forum is that I can instantly recognize a completely pointless 'debate', which this little tete-a-tete most definitely is (and which the moderator hates), hence my excusing myself from its furtherance. You are welcome to continue without me . . . :D

It's only pointless because you haven't made any substantial points; that's why you keep attacking me. I never said or implied that my morals were greater than yours, if anything, the opposite is true. This is not nor has it ever been a debate; it's been a request for you to show why YOU feel that Gibson's moral compass is more mis-aligned than Tarantino. A reasonable request. And, the only reason why I feel you refuse to do it is because you have no real evidence that your comment is true. I've seen you try to prove your points, taking on the board if necessary, on other positions where you felt you were morally superior to the board that amounted to your own personal crusade for political correctness (guns, alcohol, you name it); if you had actual examples of "Gibson's moral compass [being] more mis-aligned than Tarantino's" you would have presented them (usually with "support" being your purported stints: Stanford, Navy, school teacher, or high school athletes advisor). I will take you excusing yourself from answering my question as an acknowledgement that you were wrong to make the statement regarding Gibson's morals. So that ends it. :D
batonless relay

Next