Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby lonewolf » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Che sera, Che sera, folks... just relax and enjoy it.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 am

19 degrees here in Florida!
How do Canadians do it?!

Where's that Global Warming I've heard so much about??!! :P
Marlow

Postby Powell » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 am

Marlow wrote:Where's that Global Warming I've heard so much about??!! :P

It's definitely here; 47 in Warsaw today :D
Powell

Postby tandfman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 am

Today's predicted highs: New York City 11, Chicago 8, Anchorage 33.

Go figure.
tandfman

Postby JRM » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 am

Marlow wrote:19 degrees here in Florida!
How do Canadians do it?!

You realize a cold extreme doesn't erase the latest warm extreme:

http://www.weather.com/news/science/env ... d-20131217

In fact, this kind of fluctuation isn't unexpected. Whenever you have a system in equilibrium and perturb it one way (think a spring or a pendulum), it tends to swing back the other way almost as much.
JRM

Postby gh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 am

as always, many people are confusing weather (short-term local conditions) with climate ([very]long-term widespread conditions)
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm

gh wrote:as always, many people are confusing weather (short-term local conditions) with climate ([very]long-term widespread conditions)

Apparently, many people don't recognize the utility of emoticons . . . :roll: . . . :D
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm

contrary to your firmly held belief, my postings don't revolve around responding to yours.
gh

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Right now is the first time our school district has called off three consecutive days since 1978, when the "Cleveland Superbomb" set a record for lowest non-tropical atmospheric pressure ever recorded in the mainland United States. (We had two weeks off back then and had to call out the National Guard.)

Our temperatures went from 30 to -15 in less than 48 hours and then it's supposed to go back up to 40+ with rain on Saturday. This kind of temperature yo-yo doesn't happen very often when you've got the Great Lakes sitting nearby.
Mighty Favog

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Madison (and elsewhere) was closed for a second day -- yesterday it was technically not cold enough for closure (above the threshold) but today it was clearly not going to be that close; it was warmer and less windy. On the other hand, my model 2000 car will not start (may be now that it has warmed 20 degrees and is above 0 [1] I will give it another try).

On the weather versus warming thing it is incredible that people think that since the global temperature is one degree warmer that very cold weather will not occur. Without global warming, maybe our low of -20 would have been -21...
26mi235

Postby gh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

How cold is it in the Midwest right now? A Facebook post from shot legend Brian Oldfield:

<<It's so cold the snow is up against the door trying to get it.>>
gh

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Marlow wrote:19 degrees here in Florida!
How do Canadians do it?!

Actually the theory says that cold spells will also be n the program. It's only 41 here in sw fl.
jeremyp

Postby tandfman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:28 am

Story now linked in front page headline section says that by the end of this century, only 6 of the previous Winter Olympic sites will be cold enough to reliably host the Games.
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 am

I called an oil company in LAFAYETTE, LOUISANA today. .. the lady who answered the phone said to call back Monday, the office was closed today because of the cold weather. :!:
lonewolf

Postby TN1965 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

Yesterday's high was 59F, and it is expected to go down to a single digit tonight.
TN1965

Postby tandfman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 pm

This is from the home page of the University of Michigan:

>>Classes are canceled for Tuesday, Jan. 28, because of extreme wind chill temperatures, expected to be as low as -30 degrees. The cancelation includes classroom and laboratory instruction. <<

A tweet from a Michigan track runner informs that this is the first time the University has been forced to close for a full day since 1978.

FYI, this is the Ann Arbor weather forecast (from weather.gov)

Tuesday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 1. Wind chill values as low as -28. West southwest wind 11 to 17 mph.
Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -26. West southwest wind 14 to 17 mph.

Br-r-r-r-r-r.
tandfman

Postby Pego » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 am

Reporting from central Wisconsin at 5:30AM

-20F (-38F wind chill) - about 10° less than projected, they feared as low as 30/55. Just those 40 yards from the house to the newspaper box are painful to the exposed face.
Pego

Postby jhc68 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Central California coastline got unmeasurable trace amounts of rain Sunday, otherwise no rain this month at all. Less than one inch this season when the average is @ 8-9 inches by this time.
Without a major turnaround there will be huge economic damage to all agribusiness in the state. And if these conditions persist for another year or more then my area will be literally out of water for any purpose.
jhc68

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:40 pm

All the major roads and bridges in south Louisiana have been closed for the last couple of days, and as I result, I got a couple of days off from work. 8-)
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Will, Madison continues to be colder than normal (which is not real warm, this time of year). However, the XC skiing has been the best in several years and I have been hitting times for our lightly less than 5km loop that I have not hit in more than five years because the tracks are so good (and without any ice that often makes for fast times). I was on track for my best time of the year (57 for 14km classical) when the tops ob both calves cramped at the same time; boy it is hard to straighten out cramping legs when you have skis on and no quick release, fell over and hurt my arm, then limped in.

Unfortunately, the week ahead had a 'warm' day or two when it snows (and thus gets up to 20 or so) but mainly highs in the teens and single digits. Of course, we are about five degrees warmer than where Pego is.
26mi235

Postby jeremyp » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:56 am

jeremyp

Postby DrJay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:19 pm

We're having our first real winter in several years, best as I can recall. Lots of cold and frequent 2" to 6" snowfalls along the Front Range (Pueblo-C Springs-Denver-Boulder corridor).The central mountains got 26" of new snow at the end of last week. Snowing right now here in C Springs. The OG should be here this go around!
DrJay

Postby tandfman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:24 pm

For those of us living in the Eastern US, this seems hard to believe, but it sez here that for the planet as a whole, last month was the 4th warmest January since they started keeping records in 1880.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/ ... n-us-froze
tandfman

Postby user4 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:11 am

I travel to the FL panhandle yearly for business and was there a month ago when I was caught in the blizzard .. i never thought I would see the FL panhandle coast so covered in snow with the various bay shores of the gulf of mexico actually iced. Freaky cold.
user4

Postby donley2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Classic North Texas temperature shifts here today and the next couple days. Todays high 80, Monday morning low 17.
donley2

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 am

It has not been record cold but it has been persistently cold in Madison this year. One measure of a cold winter is to take the coldest 'quarter', a 91-day period of consecutive days. Extending through tomorrow's forecast we will be at an average high of 21.4, low of 3.4 and daily average of 12.6. Not the coldest since I have been alive but close; however, the lowest was followed by the third and fourth lowest, while two years ago we had by far the warmest winter by this (or other) metric: 37, 20 and 28.7, sixteen degrees warmer. I wonder what Pego is doing up to my north (and a few others north of that (my dad did grow up in Grand Forks, they can keep their winters, thank you).

I am glad this cold hit during an era of fracking-affected low natural gas prices and after substantially increasing the insulation and upgrading the heating system.
26mi235

Postby Pego » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 am

26mi235 wrote: I wonder what Pego is doing up to my north

This has been the longest and on the average coldest winter in memory. 60 days of sub-zero F. It is March and our yard is still under 2+ feet of snow cover.
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:48 am

We are only at about 38 days below that 0 threshold, but a number of days that were close. hopefully we will not make it tomorrow, and then we have a run of snow flurries etc, that will keep the temperatures up (here, as up by you, when it snows in the winter is warms up, it is not a cold shot, although it often gets colder afterwards). Then by getting to mid-March it will be harder to get down real low. We have not had many days above normal or even above freezing (except for when some rain hit twice) and thus we still have 9 inches on the ground even though this is not much snowier than an average winter.
26mi235

Postby lonewolf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am

First liar doesn't have a chance. :)
I was living in Calgary in winter 1968-69. We had 62 consecutive days when the temperature remained below zero F, popped up to 2 degrees F for one day and went below zero for another 30 days... Edmondton did not even get that one day respite.. Calgary newspaper printed a certificate suitable for framing to commemorate the record.
During this cold snap, I spent a few days with a seismic crew north of Grand Prarie where the overnight low hit minus 72 degrees F... a personal record... warmed up to about 30 below the next day and life went on..
It was amazing to a Southlander like me that with engine block heaters and adequate insulation, 20 below did not cause a hiccup in everyday life in Calgary.. This was during a period of construction of many downtown office towers. They wrapped the steel framework in plastic sheets and never paused.
Fortunately, Calgary has a system of heated parking garages and covered elevated and subterranian walkways that make it possible to reach most downtown buildings without going outside.
Calgary is a nice city.. it is just 2000 miles too far north. :)
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am

Whoops. My computer must have the hiccups. :oops:
Last edited by lonewolf on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:55 pm

We believed you the first time. :)
tandfman

Postby gh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 am

Neil deGrasse Tyson not happy with media coverage of climate deniers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/1 ... 33814.html
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:01 pm

gh wrote:Neil deGrasse Tyson not happy with media coverage of climate deniers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/1 ... 33814.html

Boo-freaking-hoo..
I don't know anyone who denies climate change. It has been doing so for billions of years and will continue to change as long as the earth exists.
The real argument is whether man has contributed to climate change or can do anything to influence the inexorable cyclic changes in the evolution of the earth.
I am not alone in believing the answer is no. Man's presence is so puny compared to earth's natural forces he should not flatter himself.
I hope we never reach a point where dissenting opinions, of either persuasion, cannot be expressed.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 am

lonewolf wrote:I don't know anyone who denies climate change.

I do. Plenty of them.
Pego

Postby kuha » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 am

lonewolf wrote:
I hope we never reach a point where dissenting opinions, of either persuasion, cannot be expressed.

And you have expressed the exact same opinion, which I consider entirely wrong, about 500 times here.
kuha

Postby gh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 am

Note that the headline writer put words in Tyson's mouth. He didn't say that climate deniers shouldn't be given space; his grip is with equal space, as clarified nicely later in the story with these specific Tyson words:

<<I think the media has to sort of come out of this ethos that I think was in principle a good one, but doesn't really apply in science. The ethos was, whatever story you give, you have to give the opposing view, and then you can be viewed as balanced...you don't talk about the spherical earth with NASA and then say let's give equal time to the flat-earthers.>>
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:40 am

Pego wrote:

I do. Plenty of them.

They deny climate change (which is undeniable, given the polar cap melting) or that there's a man-made component? I have to laugh at the people I know that point to the unusually cold winter we're having in north Florida to PROVE that Global Warming isn't happening.
Marlow

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:47 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:

I do. Plenty of them.

They deny climate change (which is undeniable, given the polar cap melting) or that there's a man-made component? I have to laugh at the people I know that point to the unusually cold winter we're having in north Florida to PROVE that Global Warming isn't happening.

I'll be blunt, hopefully it won't kill the thread. I know two kinds of climate change deniers.

1. Reject climate change because Al Gore said it is happening (that includes several of my highly educated friends).
2. Reject it together with evolution on pretty much the same grounds.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:06 am

Pego wrote:1. Reject climate change because Al Gore said it is happening (that includes several of my highly educated friends).
2. Reject it together with evolution on pretty much the same grounds.

1. To reject it just because Gore says it's so . . . that's nonsensical.
2. That's certainly a 'choice', but IMO, another nonsensical one.

I often wonder how so-called "highly educated" people can reject claims on totally arbitrary grounds. At least my fellow teachers who hold opposite views as mine, give me plausible explanations for their lame-brainedness! :wink:
Marlow

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm

gh wrote:Note that the headline writer put words in Tyson's mouth. He didn't say that climate deniers shouldn't be given space; his grip is with equal space, as clarified nicely later in the story with these specific Tyson words:

<<I think the media has to sort of come out of this ethos that I think was in principle a good one, but doesn't really apply in science. The ethos was, whatever story you give, you have to give the opposing view, and then you can be viewed as balanced...you don't talk about the spherical earth with NASA and then say let's give equal time to the flat-earthers.>>

Oh, yes. Neil de Grasse Tyson narrates a TV miniseries Cosmos that started airing Sunday nights on Fox, Monday nights on National Geographic channel. If the first episode is any indication, we all can learn plenty from it.
Pego

PreviousNext