Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby user4 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm

lonewolf wrote:At the risk of sounding like a broken record;
Vast areas of the earth have changed from green to desert in recorded time (eg.North Africa) Seaport cities are now underwater (Alexandria) or inland in the 200,000 years since humans occupied the earth.
The earth has been warming, with periodic centuries long intermissions, for 12,000 -15,000 years since the the retreat of the last Ice Age blanketed the northern hemisphere as far south as Kansas, raising sea level 300-400 feet.
Miami and New York may be under water in a thousand or ten thousand years. Or never. Earth may experience a polar reversal next year or in a million years. Ozone layers wax and wane. Solar flares most influence weather on earth and there ain't a dang thing we can do about it.

Relax and enjoy it. Mankind will adapt.

As a supporter of the earth I try not to get all wrapped around the axle over things that happen on thousand or million year time scales. I save the deep thinking for 100million and billion year time scales. Just doing my share.
user4

Postby kuha » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:28 pm

jeremyp wrote:Spoken like a true octogenarian. What me worry?

Yes, an octogenarian Alfred E. Neuman. Lonewolf is a professional in the fossil fuel industry and very nicely conveys their official point of view on the matter--"everything is just fine, please let's continue with business as usual, etc." I give way more credibility to the 97% of the scientific community (no sarcastic scare quotes needed there) who feel very differently about the issue.
kuha

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 pm

97% :shock: Sounds like a third-world election result..and about as valid. Almost makes me smug about being in the elite 3%. :)

As Yogi Berra wisely said, "You can observe a lot by just looking."

I have been looking for a long time and made some observations. I am not spouting industry mantra nor do I follow the logic that Big Oil somehow profits by buying into the carbon credit scam, which defies reason that shuffling paper credits can influence world climate..

Nor do I understand the disdain for fossil fuel which made possible the Industrial Revolution and the internal combustion engine we putter around in today. Oil companies, fortunately, make a lot of money because it takes a lot of money to find more oil/gas.What people overlook is the risk and that the ROI is among the lowest in any industry.

Forty years ago, conventional wisdom Chicken Littles were bemoaning the coming Ice Age. Did not happen, did it? Short term aberrations of weather mean nothing.
I have repeatedly acknowledged that Earth has been warming, without man's influence, for 15,000 years and will continue to do so until it doesn't.
I am not trying to persuade anyone to agree with me. It makes no difference to me.The end result will be the same, whatever man does or does not do.
And none of use will live to see who was right.
Peace out.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 am

Here's one guy's reaction to climate change:

http://news.yahoo.com/meteorologist-vow ... 14509.html
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:45 am

lonewolf wrote:97% :shock: Sounds like a third-world election result..and about as valid. Almost makes me smug about being in the elite 3%. :)

I think a better analogy is that of the 1500s, after the initial waves of global exploration, when 3% still insisted the world was flat and the sun 'traveled' across the sky every day . . . :twisted:
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 am

Marlow wrote:I think a better analogy is that of the 1500s, after the initial waves of global exploration, when 3% still insisted . . . the sun 'traveled' across the sky every day . . . :twisted:

It doesn't? It sure looks that way. :)
tandfman

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:36 am

tandfman wrote:It sure looks that way. :)

Have you ever looked right into the sun? Try, you'll notice it's actually a chariot. Driving that thing but be a pretty boring job.
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

Daisy wrote:
tandfman wrote:It sure looks that way. :)

Driving that thing but be a pretty boring job.

It's outsourced to New York City taxi drivers now, hence the occasional outburst of solar flares when they get a fit of pique.
Marlow

Postby user4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

lonewolf wrote:97% :shock: Sounds like a third-world election result..and about as valid. Almost makes me smug about being in the elite 3%. :)

As Yogi Berra wisely said, "You can observe a lot by just looking."

I have been looking for a long time and made some observations. I am not spouting industry mantra nor do I follow the logic that Big Oil somehow profits by buying into the carbon credit scam, which defies reason that shuffling paper credits can influence world climate..

Nor do I understand the disdain for fossil fuel which made possible the Industrial Revolution and the internal combustion engine we putter around in today. Oil companies, fortunately, make a lot of money because it takes a lot of money to find more oil/gas.What people overlook is the risk and that the ROI is among the lowest in any industry.

Forty years ago, conventional wisdom Chicken Littles were bemoaning the coming Ice Age. Did not happen, did it? Short term aberrations of weather mean nothing.
I have repeatedly acknowledged that Earth has been warming, without man's influence, for 15,000 years and will continue to do so until it doesn't.

If use of fossil fuels could grant the totalitarian statist more cash they would be all for more fossil fuels. But alas they have already tapped out that tax avenue and are looking for fresh meat and new scams to work. .. hence carbon credits!

By the time the climate starts to cool again the totalitarian high priesthood will be selling us ice to warm our coffee.
user4

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 pm

http://www.co2science.org/

Links on this non-profit website to many alternative views on global warming hysteria.
Last edited by odelltrclan on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
odelltrclan

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I repeat, the science is not settled in favor of human influenced global warming.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 am

Even if global warming has not been human-influenced, if it's potentially harmful to life on our planet, don't we have a responsibility to engage in behavior that does influence the climate in a positive way? Perhaps we can and should do this, regardless of what may be responsible for the current situation. If we saw a large meteor or other celestial body headed for the earth on a collision course with us in a hundred years, wouldn't we try to intercept and deflect it? Why shouldn't we treat global warming as a similar threat? To me, who or what is causing global warming is almost irrelevant. If we think we can reverse it or slow it down, we probably should be working on that.

Looked at in that way, and taking the blame factor out of it, we may find it easier to modify our individual, corporate, and governmental behavior.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 am

tandfman wrote:Even if global warming has not been human-influenced, if it's potentially harmful to life on our planet, don't we have a responsibility to engage in behavior that does influence the climate in a positive way?

That's been my argument all along: regardless of man's contribution to Global Warming (which IS a scientific fact; it's measurable), CO2 emissions DO exacerbate the effect, and we ARE polluting the earth at an alarming rate, so why not do something about it now?
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 am

Marlow wrote:CO2 emissions DO exacerbate the effect

But by how much? Enough to worry about?
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:CO2 emissions DO exacerbate the effect

But by how much? Enough to worry about?

According to 'most' of the most recent studies, yes.
Equating it back to the "pee in the backyard pool" analogy, if one kids pees, not a big deal, when the adults do it regularly, yeah, that's a problem, even if the water hasn't turned yellow yet.
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:17 am

Super Cyclone Phailin headed to India. Half the size of India equal to a Cat 4 Hurricane, it's going into the Bay Of Bengal. Last time such a storm hit there it caused 10,000 deaths.
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hur ... n-20131010
jeremyp

Postby shivfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 am

"Indian disaster teams have begun a relief operation after Cyclone Phailin crashed into eastern areas, forcing up to one million people to flee. Officials are assessing the damage and providing food to hundreds of thousands who spent the night in shelters. The cyclone wrecked many coastal homes, uprooted trees and blocked roads in Andhra Pradesh and Orissa states. Five deaths have so far been linked to the cyclone, far fewer than were initially feared. In 1999 a cyclone killed more than 10,000 people in Orissa. But the authorities said they were better prepared this time. The BBC's Sanjoy Majumder in Berhampur, Orissa, says the authorities made massive effort to get the message out to people, many of whom were reluctant to leave their homes. He says their efforts appear to have paid off....But officials were confident that a massive loss of life had been avoided. "We were preparing for a super cyclone, but Phailin did not turn into a super cyclone," disaster official Tripti Parule told the AFP news agency. He said the evacuation was the biggest in India's history for such an event."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-24510464

The last time a major hurricane hit Jamaica, only a couple of people died in a country of nearly three million. Like India, Jamaica have mastered the best way of minimising casualties against hurricanes and cyclones.

India has successfully evacuated a million people from a hurricane/cyclone zone. There are lessons here for so-called First World countries who have had difficulty minimising death tolls during a hurricane strike. The United States could learn a lot from countries like India and Jamaica in this regard. India do evacuations better than the Americans do, and Jamaicans are better at turning off public services that can kill during these storms, such as electricity, than Americans. As a result, the death tolls in countries such as India and Jamaica are much lower when hurricanes/cyclones strike than the US.

Yes, the US hardly gets hit by these superstorms, when compared to the Caribbean and South Asia, but it also stands to reason that the US would be well-advised to call in experts from countries such as India and Jamaica, because they have handled these storms much better than the Americans have, due to this experience. However, there is still this First World prejudice against countries who have dark-skinned people, because there's a reluctance to believe that they can actually master their responses to something like hurricanes and cyclones better than the most powerful country in the world....
shivfan

Postby jeremyp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 am

I think the problem with many folks in the way of a hurricane in the U.S. is that they rely on their modern buildings and transportation too much. "My buildings will hold up or I can get the hell out in time." In developing countries where houses are fragile and transportation spotty governments can get a mass exodus to work. Once those countries get a sizeable middle class look for them to be as stubborn as we are in the face of disaster.
jeremyp

Postby tandfman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Is this what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted?

http://www.fabulous-pictures.com/seven- ... ce-melted/
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:24 am

tandfman wrote:Is this what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted?

Ba-bye, Florida!
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:18 am

Marlow wrote:Ba-bye, Florida!

It will still be there. And will make a beautiful coral reef. Or will the water be too acidic with all the CO2?
Daisy

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 am

Marlow wrote:

Ba-bye, Florida!

No more SEC bias. I kind of like that map!
odelltrclan

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:29 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Ba-bye, Florida!

No more SEC bias. I kind of like that map!

I guess, there is a silver lining in everything :wink: .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 am

Not too late to invest in some nice future water-front property in rural Georgia, where's it's still dirt (ha!) cheap.
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:09 pm

the planet just had its warmest November since we started tracking such

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ck/282450/
gh

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 am

If the summer sea ice loss passes “the point of no return,” and “catastrophic Arctic methane feedbacks” kick in, we’ll be in an “instant planetary emergency.”

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/17/the_gre ... e_partner/

I suspect we're already beyond the point of no return. The key now is can we adapt? What will the new carrying capacity of the Earth be? Not much room for optimism here.
Daisy

Postby tandfman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 pm

A concerned group marches against global warming:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation ... ming,1880/

:)
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Daisy wrote:I suspect we're already beyond the point of no return. The key now is can we adapt? What will the new carrying capacity of the Earth be? Not much room for optimism here.

Adapt or drown. Most of Florida will be underwater in 100 years at this new accelerated rate.
Wyoming and Montana and the Dakotas looking pretty sweet right now. Tropical Canada? Sarah Palin sun-bathing on her Bridge to No-Where?
Marlow

Postby kuha » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Marlow wrote:Wyoming and Montana and the Dakotas looking pretty sweet right now.

Ha!! :idea:
kuha

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 pm

kuha wrote:
Marlow wrote:Wyoming and Montana and the Dakotas looking pretty sweet right now.

Ha!! :idea:

Until the supervolcano beneath Yellowstone National Park erupts! :shock:
Daisy

Postby lonewolf » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Che sera, Che sera, folks... just relax and enjoy it.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 am

19 degrees here in Florida!
How do Canadians do it?!

Where's that Global Warming I've heard so much about??!! :P
Marlow

Postby Powell » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 am

Marlow wrote:Where's that Global Warming I've heard so much about??!! :P

It's definitely here; 47 in Warsaw today :D
Powell

Postby tandfman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 am

Today's predicted highs: New York City 11, Chicago 8, Anchorage 33.

Go figure.
tandfman

Postby JRM » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 am

Marlow wrote:19 degrees here in Florida!
How do Canadians do it?!

Where's that Global Warming I've heard so much about??!! :P

You realize a cold extreme doesn't erase the latest warm extreme:

http://www.weather.com/news/science/env ... d-20131217

In fact, this kind of fluctuation isn't unexpected. Whenever you have a system in equilibrium and perturb it one way (think a spring or a pendulum), it tends to swing back the other way almost as much.
JRM

Postby gh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 am

as always, many people are confusing weather (short-term local conditions) with climate ([very]long-term widespread conditions)
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm

gh wrote:as always, many people are confusing weather (short-term local conditions) with climate ([very]long-term widespread conditions)

Apparently, many people don't recognize the utility of emoticons . . . :roll: . . . :D
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm

contrary to your firmly held belief, my postings don't revolve around responding to yours.
gh

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Right now is the first time our school district has called off three consecutive days since 1978, when the "Cleveland Superbomb" set a record for lowest non-tropical atmospheric pressure ever recorded in the mainland United States. (We had two weeks off back then and had to call out the National Guard.)

Our temperatures went from 30 to -15 in less than 48 hours and then it's supposed to go back up to 40+ with rain on Saturday. This kind of temperature yo-yo doesn't happen very often when you've got the Great Lakes sitting nearby.
Mighty Favog

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Madison (and elsewhere) was closed for a second day -- yesterday it was technically not cold enough for closure (above the threshold) but today it was clearly not going to be that close; it was warmer and less windy. On the other hand, my model 2000 car will not start (may be now that it has warmed 20 degrees and is above 0 [1] I will give it another try).

On the weather versus warming thing it is incredible that people think that since the global temperature is one degree warmer that very cold weather will not occur. Without global warming, maybe our low of -20 would have been -21...
26mi235

PreviousNext