Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby Pego » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:31 pm

tandfman wrote:50 below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.


This is better.

Absolute zero.
Hell freezes over.
The Vikings win the Super Bowl.
Pego
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Postby tlb747 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:12 pm

JRM wrote:Heh. Californians can't handle 50F weather, let alone anything lower. I always laugh when the weather forecasters come on and tell me it's going to be "cold", "frigid", need gloves and scarves, etc... when the temperature drops below 60. Then I get really irate when they tell me the temperature will shoot back up to the mid/high-70s, and it's good because we "need" that warm weather (as if we don't get enough of it the other 300 days of the year).


I wonder what Northern Califonians (Sierra Nevada Mountains) do at this time of the year. It is dropping into the 20's and 10's as lows for the next few day here (Gulfport, Mississippi).
tlb747
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, RECORD colds from the Dakotas to Arkansas to southern Florida! Where's all this Global Warming I've heard so much about?! 8-)
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby Dutra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Weather guy in Tampa put up the 5 day forecast, told us that we might get a mixture of sleet and snow overnight tomorrow.

He also pointed out that the station was using the "wintery mix" icon and that he not only hadn't used it in fifteen years down here but wasn't even aware that the icon existed.
Dutra
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby rasb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Marlow wrote:Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, RECORD colds from the Dakotas to Arkansas to southern Florida! Where's all this Global Warming I've heard so much about?! 8-)


Perhaps in the Arctic? Where,

1) Ice free travel across the North of our Continent has happened for the first time in our recorded history, and shipping companies are taking a serious look at using that route, the fabled "Northwest Passage".
2) One of the latest freeze-ups occurred, almost a month later than "usual",
much to the chagrin of the Natives, and the Polar Bears, who were cannibalizing their young, because they had no ice from which to hunt the seals.
3) It was warmer there on January 4th, than most of the USA, probably including parts of Florida...
rasb
 
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:48 pm
Location: South of the 49th

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 am

I'm bummed. I'm in Florida. It's raining, it's in the 40's. That means: no shorts, no T Shirt, and worst of all, no sandals! Then I have to go to a movie that still has the air conditioning on. Still, watching Emily Blunt might warm me up, even if she's playing a queen.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Postby observer2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 am

Weather is crazy:
Today January 11th:

Northern Scandinavia - North of the Arctic Circle: 6 degrees C

Southern Scandinavia, 1500 miles south:: 6 degrees below zero
observer2
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am

Postby Pelpa » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 am

Its been averaging 19 degrees here (66 F) in Ja. and man are we freezing our butts off. Something about stationary front off the north coast. This is just unusal and weird. On the way to work everyone was wearing jackets and coats.

We did our normal 26/28 (78/82) go ?
Pelpa
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Postby observer2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 am

OT (?): Is the Fahreheit scale on it´s way out also in the US?

For example, when we watch CNN in Europe the weather/temperature is presented with Celsius grades and I appreciate that :)
observer2
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am

Postby donley2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:05 am

observer2 wrote:OT (?): Is the Fahreheit scale on it´s way out also in the US?


I have seen zero evidence to suggest it is on it's way out.
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:31 am

donley2 wrote:I have seen zero evidence to suggest it is on it's way out.

Agreed. The Celsius scale is used as much as the Kelvin scale in the US, i.e. only in the science classroom.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby observer2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:47 am

How come CNN use the Celsius scale. Are they making different weather report for diffrent areas? (Europe, Asia, US, America?)

By the way, doesn´t the Celsius scale make more sense?

Water freezing point = 0 C
Water boiling point = 100 C
observer2
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 am

observer2 wrote:By the way, doesn´t the Celsius scale make more sense?

The best thing about the Celsius scale, apart from it making more sense, is that a degree Kelvin is effectively the same as a degree Celsius. This means the conversion (C to K) in chemistry and biology are easy. The F scale makes no sense on so many levels, unless your name is Marlow. :twisted:

You'll like this old thread:
Metric/Imperial debate #1133046
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby gh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:24 am

To see how we arrived at the ludicrous scale that is Fahrenheit (thanks Daniel Gabriel F), check out the "history" section in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

(I say ludicrous, because at least English linear measure makes some elemental sense, being related to body parts, but this was pure voodoo mathematics)
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am

The Fahrenheit scale may be based on a ludicrous idea, but it does what it is suppose to do.

CNN really does their temperatures in Celsius? What is next? Doing their broadcasts in Latin? No wonder nobody watches them anymore.

As for Fahrenheit on the way out. That really is nonsense.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 am

Conor Dary wrote:CNN really does their temperatures in Celsius? What is next? Doing their broadcasts in Latin?

I hate to be a pedant here, but I think you mean Esperanto. The latin equivalent of temperature scales is sticking your hand out of the window. :wink:
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 am

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:CNN really does their temperatures in Celsius? What is next? Doing their broadcasts in Latin?

I hate to be a pedant here, but I think you mean Esperanto. The latin equivalent of temperature scales is sticking your hand out of the window. :wink:


Well it depends on your time period. Back in Newton's day, Latin was the esperanto of the times. Anybody who was anybody, be they French, English, German or whatever wrote in Latin. And since we are talking Celsius the temperature, along with Kelvin, of the scientists, I do mean Latin.

I don't believe I have ever seen a mathematical paper in esperanto, but I have read plenty in Latin, or at least tried.

:wink:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:44 am

Conor Dary wrote:I have ever seen a mathematical paper in esperanto, but I have read plenty in Latin

That is because latin is from the past, like fahrenheit. :)
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 am

The best thing about the Celsius scale, apart from it making more sense...

This really is not true. If anything Fahrenheit is more accurate since it is 180 units from freezing to boiling as opposed to 100 for Celsius. :lol:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 am

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I have ever seen a mathematical paper in esperanto, but I have read plenty in Latin

That is because latin is from the past, like fahrenheit. :)


Well whose fault is that? :lol:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am

Conor Dary wrote: The best thing about the Celsius scale, apart from it making more sense...
This really is not true. If anything Fahrenheit is more accurate since it is 180 units from freezing to boiling as opposed to 100 for Celsius. :lol:

I believe that was the third iteration of the fahrenheit scale. They were already desperately trying to make it relevant even back then. Similar to Microsoft trying to copy everything MAC and google. :)

Conor Dary wrote:
Daisy wrote:That is because latin is from the past, like fahrenheit. :)

Well whose fault is that? :lol:

Not the Luddites, for sure. 8-)
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:59 am

I believe that was the third iteration of the fahrenheit scale. They were already desperately trying to make it relevant even back then. Similar to Microsoft trying to copy everything MAC and google.

The third? Well at least they knew enough to try to fix it.

But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

As for Microsoft, Fahrenheit and His Friends will certainly be relevant long after those jokers in Redmond are gone.

Though I have to say I like Windows 7.
:lol:
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Conor Dary wrote:But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

But will anyone else in the world? It's great that you all understand each other though. :twisted:
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

But will anyone else in the world? It's great that you all understand each other though. :twisted:


Well I suppose if Bengladesheses were watching the Weather Channel on satellite, they might be confused.

72! man that is HOT!
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Pego » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

But will anyone else in the world? It's great that you all understand each other though. :twisted:


I got used to thinking in the Fahrenheit scale a lot quicker than the imperial measurements.

And yes, I also like Windows 7.
Pego
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Conor Dary wrote:72! man that is HOT!

Which reminds me of a amusing story. A friend went to China last spring. He was out in a T-shirt enjoying a warm day. One comment he got, this fellow was still wearing his winter coat, "but what are you going to wear when it's summer!"

Pego wrote:I got used to thinking in the Fahrenheit scale a lot quicker than the imperial measurements.

And yes, I also like Windows 7.

I see. You old farts all stick together. :roll: :twisted:
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby tandfman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 am

The debate continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/scien ... imate.html

Headline: U.N. Climate Panel and Chief Face Credibility Siege
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 am

10-20 inches of snow and blizzard conditions starting here tonite and continuing thru Thurs morn.

Squack is taking Wed. off work. Will be home recording music and drinking beer and watching movies! :D Many others taking day off.

Work place will be a Ghost town, tumble weeds have already been seen in the parts of the building. :P
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby lonewolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 am

While I am firmly in the camp of those who believe "climate change/global warming" is a naturally re-occuring event, unaffected and unopposable by man, I also believe the unusal amount of snow this winter neither refutes nor reinforces climate change.
It happens. You can average temperature and precipitation and if a year happens to hit the average, it just happens to hit the average. No year is normal
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 am

Lonewolf, there is a big difference between challenging the existence of climate change and not being convinced it is caused by man's activity.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:31 am

Daisy wrote:Lonewolf, there is a big difference between challenging the existence of climate change and not being convinced it is caused by man's activity.


I think the term climate change is a little sneaky. The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

I do understand that the Earth can have global warming in its future but still suffer some cold spells along the way. But long term the only real threat being argued is warming, correct?
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 am

SQUACKEE wrote:The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

Not the climate but the average global temperature. Local weather will change in a less predictable way.

One thing I read is that in the global warming model the arctic air is more likely to head south. That means we might all be freezing but the arctic is relatively balmy. Hence, the global average temperature could be still be higher even while we freeze our butts off.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 am

Daisy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

Not the climate but the average global temperature. Local weather will change in a less predictable way.

One thing I read is that in the global warming model the arctic air is more likely to head south. That means we might all be freezing but the arctic is relatively balmy. Hence, the global average temperature could be still be higher even while we freeze our butts off.


Thanx Daisy, that explains a lot.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 am

Daisy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

Not the climate but the average global temperature.



http://tinyurl.com/q82h8b
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 am

How does he explain all the melting glaciers? Except those in PA of course.

Ice melts. Glaciers are always calving. This is what ice does. If ice did not melt, we'd have an ice-covered planet. The fact is that the ice cover is growing in the southern hemisphere even as the ice cover is more or less shrinking in the northern hemisphere. As you and I are talking today, global sea ice coverage is about 400,000 square kilometers above the long-term average - which means that the surplus in the Antarctic is greater than the deficit in the Arctic.


So ALL the glaciers melting is not a problem? Seems like this guy is hoping that a cooling antarctica is going to save us. Does this sound normal to you?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 am

Daisy wrote:How does he explain all the melting glaciers?


Did you read it completely?

I know you think there's been something of a hysteria in the media about melting glaciers. Could you explain?

Ice melts. Glaciers are always calving. This is what ice does. If ice did not melt, we'd have an ice-covered planet. The fact is that the ice cover is growing in the southern hemisphere even as the ice cover is more or less shrinking in the northern hemisphere. As you and I are talking today, global sea ice coverage is about 400,000 square kilometers above the long-term average - which means that the surplus in the Antarctic is greater than the deficit in the Arctic.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Postby Pego » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 am

lonewolf wrote:While I am firmly in the camp of those who believe "climate change/global warming" is a naturally re-occuring event, unaffected and unopposable by man, I also believe the unusal amount of snow this winter neither refutes nor reinforces climate change.
It happens. You can average temperature and precipitation and if a year happens to hit the average, it just happens to hit the average. No year is normal


This position, while not agreeing with, I can appreciate. Those that deny a climate change is occurring is plain lunacy.
Pego
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 am

Daisy wrote:So ALL the glaciers melting is not a problem? Seems like this guy is hoping that a cooling antarctica is going to save us. Does this sound normal to you?



The guy is a highly respected scientist, with no agenda, and with no financial conflicts of interest. His points regarding how climate data is traditionally collected(and how ever-increasing development skews those numbers) are valid and make sense.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 am

Pego wrote:This position, while not agreeing with, I can appreciate. Those that deny a climate change is occurring is plain lunacy.


There has never been one time in the 4.54 billion year history of the Earth when the climate was not changing. Facts should not be debated.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 am

guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests