Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:38 pm

Warmer in Maine than Las Vegas today! :shock:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Mennisco wrote:The Yangtze River may be close to dead, however

I'm a greenie all the way, but the above statement is just silly. Mother Nature, given half a chance, is miraculous at recreating life in the direst circumstances. If they came up with a plan to curb pollutants now, the Yangtze would be back to normal within 10 after the cessation of pollution. The trouble is that too many political/economic pressures exist to keep it polluted.
tafnut

Postby Mennisco » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 pm

tafnut wrote:
Mennisco wrote:The Yangtze River may be close to dead, however

I'm a greenie all the way, but the above statement is just silly.

"China's massive Yangtze river, a lifeline for tens of millions of people, is seriously polluted and the damage is almost irreversible, a state-run newspaper said Monday.

More than 370 miles of the river are in critical condition and almost 30 percent of its major tributaries are seriously polluted, the China Daily said, citing a report by the Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, part of the Chinese Academy of Sciences."

http://tinyurl.com/yq9ez8

This is coming from CHINESE SCIENTISTS.
Mennisco

Postby bad hammy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Mennisco wrote:This is coming from . . . SCIENTISTS.

Well why didn't you say so?? The whole point of the global warming dissidents is that you can't trust THOSE guys.
bad hammy

Postby Mennisco » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:34 pm

bad hammy wrote:
Mennisco wrote:This is coming from . . . SCIENTISTS.

Well why didn't you say so?? The whole point of the global warming dissidents is that you can't trust THOSE guys.

What, the Illuminati are controlling the Chinese scientists too? Of course! :shock:
Mennisco

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 am

Back on topic. Do i think the weather is acting funny? Well this is no act and its not bloody funny! :x

High on Monday 83....high on Weds. 41! Do you think thats funny? Well do you punk!
SQUACKEE

Postby Mennisco » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:18 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Back on topic. Do i think the weather is acting funny? Well this is no act and its not bloody funny! :x

High on Monday 83....high on Weds. 41! Do you think thats funny? Well do you punk!

Mennisco

Postby tandfman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:33 am

SQUACKEE wrote:High on Monday 83....high on Weds. 41! Do you think thats funny?

I think it's not unusual for April in the Northeast.
tandfman

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:20 am

tandfman wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:High on Monday 83....high on Weds. 41! Do you think thats funny?

I think it's not unusual for April in the Northeast.

Your right.
SQUACKEE

Postby DrJay » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 am

Our current weatheradar:

40F (was 32F this a.m.), 20mph winds with gusts to 40, snow/rain. Tornado warning for the eastern plains. A lovely spring day in Colorado.
DrJay

Postby MJD » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:52 am

"Calling him "a wonderful, visionary professor" who was "one of the first people in the academic community to sound the alarm on global warming," Gore thought of Dr. Revelle as his mentor and referred to him frequently, relaying his experiences as a student in his book Earth in the Lurch, published in 1992. Gore's warmth for Dr. Revelle cooled, however, when it became clear that he had misunderstood his former professor:"(slight edit)

http://tinyurl.com/28ngz9
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:29 am

MJD wrote:"Calling him "a wonderful, visionary professor" who was "one of the first people in the academic community to sound the alarm on global warming," Gore thought of Dr. Revelle as his mentor and referred to him frequently, relaying his experiences as a student in his book Earth in the Lurch, published in 1992. Gore's warmth for Dr. Revelle cooled, however, when it became clear that he had misunderstood his former professor:"(slight edit)

http://tinyurl.com/28ngz9

Wow this is interesting and as an important part of the "debate" on the cause of Global Warming i look forward to seeing this information in every media outlet in the world. :roll:
SQUACKEE

Postby Mennisco » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:42 am

Yet another political indiscretion.
Mennisco

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:58 am

Mennisco wrote:Yet another political indiscretion.

Wow this is interesting and as an important part of the "debate" on the cause of Global Warming i look forward to seeing this information in every media outlet in the world.

Not at all! Lets brake it down-

Wow this is interesting- isnt?
Important- isnt?
It is newsworthy- isnt?
Therefore should be in the news- shouldnt it? :wink:
SQUACKEE

Postby EPelle » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:19 am

Is The Onion a source of news?
EPelle

Postby Mennisco » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:45 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
Mennisco wrote:Yet another political indiscretion.

Wow this is interesting and as an important part of the "debate" on the cause of Global Warming i look forward to seeing this information in every media outlet in the world.

Not at all! Lets brake it down-

Wow this is interesting- isnt?
Important- isnt?
It is newsworthy- isnt?
Therefore should be in the news- shouldnt it? :wink:

Gore called his former idol "senile" and settled a defamation suit. I've lost respect for him over that. And yes I certainly consider this more than newsworthy. One of the cool things about my job - I teach in a small number of "alternative schools" where the kids are usually there because they're very bright and their parents want an enriched environment - is that I get to discuss a variety of topics with kids 13-14 and they're often surprisingly informed on several angles of currently hot topics. The more I hear and read about global warming, the more I want to know both sides of the debate. Joe Average would easily and understandably now be swayed by the "Top Scientists All Agree" mantra. I was too, but less so now.
Mennisco

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:17 am

This is what im saying and its not political, i swear. If someone on the right put out a documentary with "facts" and scientist who ONLY agreed Global Warming is not gonna cause the oceans to rise to deadly heights in 2 decades i would denounce it as one sided propaganda. The only thing i want is for both sides to have a voice. Isnt this what democracy is all about?

Im reminded of the documentary that showed how man never landed on the moon. Scary music and "Facts" persuaded many people that we faked it. An alternative documentary came out and "answered" every question. Anyone who wants to find the "thruth" for themselves MUST see both of these documentaries.
SQUACKEE

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:05 am

EPelle

Postby Mennisco » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 pm

SQUACKEE wrote: The only thing i want is for both sides to have a voice. Isnt this what democracy is all about?

In practice or theory? :wink:
Mennisco

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Mennisco wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote: The only thing i want is for both sides to have a voice. Isnt this what democracy is all about?

In practice or theory? :wink:

Theory baby, theory. 8)
SQUACKEE

Postby tandfman » Fri May 11, 2007 8:45 am

The June issue of Harper's Magazine cites someone at the National Snow and Ice Data Center (whatever that is) as the source of the information that a team of climate experts studied 15 computer models to assess Arctic warming. Seven of those models showed the North Pole having ice-free summers by the end of this century.
tandfman

Postby tafnut » Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 am

This morning's paper reported that southern summers will be 10 (TEN!) degrees warmer on average within a decade, due primarily to greenhouse gas pollution!! Obviously this (GW) is a done deal in the media now!!
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri May 11, 2007 9:02 am

tafnut wrote:This morning's paper reported that southern summers will be 10 (TEN!) degrees warmer on average within a decade, due primarily to greenhouse gas pollution!! Obviously this (GW) is a done deal in the media now!!

If this is true then its gonna be a total disaster and anyone who really believes this prediction should be at this moment completely commiting their life to stopping this hell on earth scenario. Or just start drinking heavily.
SQUACKEE

Postby mojo » Fri May 11, 2007 9:17 am

If this is true then its gonna be a total disaster and anyone who really believes this prediction should be at this moment completely commiting their life to stopping this hell on earth scenario. Or just start drinking heavily.

Well we know which one you will be doing. :D
mojo

Postby donley2 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:27 am

tafnut wrote:This morning's paper reported that southern summers will be 10 (TEN!) degrees warmer on average within a decade, due primarily to greenhouse gas pollution!! Obviously this (GW) is a done deal in the media now!!

OK Tafnut your going to have to point me to a link to that bit of reporting. Most alarmist thing I could find with a quick google search suggested that was possible around 2080.
donley2

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri May 11, 2007 9:28 am

mojo wrote:

Yes of course, i bought a more efficent lite bulb and car that runs on lawn clippings and a 30 pack of a Bud.
SQUACKEE

Postby tafnut » Fri May 11, 2007 9:56 am

donley2 wrote:OK Tafnut your going to have to point me to a link to that bit of reporting. Most alarmist thing I could find with a quick google search suggested that was possible around 2080.

I looked at the paper's web-site, jacksonville.com (catchy site-name, donchathink?) and saw nothing (what a shock!). I pointed the item out NOT because I believe it (which, of course, I don't), but as an example of how media report things out of context. We MAY be in for a hotter summer than usual (for a number of reasons), but in the 'climate' (pun!) of Global Warming hysteria (I believe it IS starting, but it IS reversible with prudent legislation and planning), it seemed a little over-the-top.

My paper, the Florida Thyme-Onion (OK, it's really the Times-Union), has not won any Pulitzers lately, if ya catch my drift.
tafnut

Postby tandfman » Fri May 11, 2007 1:47 pm

tafnut wrote:I looked at the paper's web-site, jacksonville.com (catchy site-name, donchathink?)

It seems to be what newspapers are doing these days. I believe the major newspapers in Boston, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and Miami have done the same thing. I'm sure there are others.
tandfman

Postby mojo » Fri May 11, 2007 3:13 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
mojo wrote:

Yes of course, i bought a more efficent lite bulb and car that runs on lawn clippings and a 30 pack of a Bud.

LOL.

And do you put a cloth bag over your head now?
mojo

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri May 11, 2007 3:41 pm

mojo wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
mojo wrote:

LOL.

And do you put a cloth bag over your head now?

Good lord Canukian vixen i have no idea what your talking about. To be fair though i should admit half of the 30 pack as been dranken, drinkin, drank? :? :wink: :D
SQUACKEE

Postby mojo » Fri May 11, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't even know what I meant. :o

I guess I just picture you with a paper bag over your head..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I think it is drunk :wink: )
mojo

Postby tafnut » Fri May 11, 2007 5:34 pm

mojo wrote:I guess I just picture you with a paper bag over your head.

that was at his bride's insistence on their honeymoon.
tafnut

Postby tandfman » Thu May 24, 2007 10:38 am

The silliness continues. A letter printed in the June T&FN applauds the Deena Kastor cover of the May issue as being timely "Not just for track, but for the world, as global warming--and the resultant screwed-up weather patterns--is a front-burner issue right now."

The guy who wrote this is from Minnesota. He should certainly know that cold, rainy days in April are nothing new in the Northern part of the country and don't have anything to do with global warming.
tandfman

Postby MJD » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:09 am

"Beset by the coldest May since 1962, millions of residents fired up space heaters, straining Buenos Aires' electrical grid for three nights and forcing authorities to slash power supply nationwide and briefly cut domestic natural gas provisions and exports to Chile."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/ap_ ... rgy_woes_1

Anyone?
MJD

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:39 am

Experts are concerned by the increased rate of melting of the Arctic ice pack this past summer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/scien ... ref=slogin

The pace of change has far exceeded what had been estimated by almost all the simulations used to envision how the Arctic will respond to rising concentrations of greenhouse gases linked to global warming. . . .Some scientists who have long doubted that a human influence could be clearly discerned in the Arctic’s changing climate now agree that the trend is hard to ascribe to anything else.

Whether all of this is good or bad may depend on your point of view.

While open Arctic waters could be a boon for shipping, fishing and oil exploration, an annual seesawing between ice and no ice could be a particularly harsh jolt to polar bears.
tandfman

Postby EPelle » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am

Not to mention the new born penguines unable to yet hack it in the water.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 am

They have penguins in the Arctic? That's news to me.
tandfman

Postby EPelle » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 am

I did read too quickly and assumed you were mentioning Antarctica without having read the article closely. Can happen :roll: I just saw a movie on penguines and Antarctica which Morgan Freeman narrated. Quite moving.

http://wip.warnerbros.com/marchofthepenguins/
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:12 am

That was indeed a good movie.

In any event, it appears that the Arctic and Antarctic conditions may be quite different.

Reflecting the different geography and dynamics at the two poles, there has been a slight increase in sea-ice area around Antarctica in recent decades.
tandfman

Postby MJD » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:21 am

Here's someone trying to do something about it! And this is not intended to be a political post.

http://www.rogerstelevision.com/option. ... &gid=17381
MJD

PreviousNext