Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby bad hammy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:46 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:I think this sums up the discussion nicely:

Made me laugh - thanks!
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm

Im not that smart but i think the message of the cartoon is people who believe that global warming may not be man made are as out of touch as people who believe the world is flat. Just amazing.

Maybe some day there will be one view and one only. Wont that be great?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Mighty Favog » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:09 pm

And what makes you think the world isn't flat?
Mighty Favog

Postby figo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:19 pm

sorry guys, i came across some disturbing information.
global warming is real..see indisputable data below.

another thing, my weekly check from the oil companies was cut in half.
and the global warmers made me a better offer....

to fully adjust my new attitude, i just hit myself in the head with a 2x4 a few times..

the colors tell the tale....
i did an experiment to see what happens on a small scale if you heat up a globe, you know what? it melts, think about it...

i don't read german but it looks pretty bad. i'm pretty sure gaz is gas....

if it gets any warmer, well you know what happens in the next chick shot, and we can't have that can we?

recent shot from greenland (above), note how the locals are turning brown...
to comment on what that dude is doing, would be to go off topic, and is none of my damn business.
http://www.ecoenquirer.com/Frosty-Cove-Alaska.htm

read on to become much more better informationalized.
here is my first article, a tribute to my new boss al gore.

Pristine Alaskan Glacier Turns Into Tropical Wasteland

(Updated July 9, 2006)

(Frosty Cove, Alaska) Few places on Earth have suffered the ravages of global warming more than Alaska. While recent news reports have highlighted accounts of the native Inuits' snowmobiles falling through the ice, threatening their traditional way of life, there are isolated parts of Alaska have been completely transformed by global warming.

Possibly the most frightening example of this climate catastrophe that continues to unfold before the eyes of humanity is the case of Frosty Cove, Alaska. Once dominated by a pristine ice field, with a slowly advancing glacier dumping its frigid cargo into the sea, the Cove's original beauty has been forever lost.

1986: Frosty Cove's original pristine state featured majestic ice fields and rock outcroppings.

Totally devoid of the ice and magnificent rock outcropping that once adorned the lanscape, Frosty Cove has become the poster child for the ravaging effects of global warming. In the accompanying pair of photographs, taken only twenty years apart, the environmental degradation is immediately obvious. Types of vegetation totally foreign to Alaska have invaded the region, upsetting the delicate ecological balance that once existed. Clouds of mosquitos, once so abundant in the cool moist climate of Alaska, have all but disappeared.

Antarctic Ice Increasing AND Decreasing
Seemingly contradictory research results, such as recent reports of both decreasing and increasing Antarctic ice, can be explained with a new metaphysical theory.

(La Jolla, California) Recent scientific publications have reported either inceasing or decreasing ice volumes on the Antarctic continent, and while this would seem to suggest considerable scientific uncertainty on the issue, new research suggests that both findings might be true at the same time.

Dr. Elizabeth Frost of the Paraphysical Research Institute in La Jolla, California, has come up with a theory that might reconcile what are often considered to be contradictory results in scientific research.

"What we believe," Dr. Frost told ecoEnquirer, "is that a new paradigm is needed in scientific thought. Since mutually exclusive sets of scientific results usually are published in respected scientific publications, we suggest that they are both true. There is a higher level of physical understanding that must be developed, one where the Yin and Yang of scientific findings are reconciled, better understood, and appreciated."

Breaking News: Extra Carbon Dioxide Causing Plant Attacks
Extra Carbon Dioxide Causing Plant Attacks

The extra carbon dioxide from mankind's burning of fossil fuels has caused a new problem -- vegetation that is gobbling up the extra "plant food" and, in some cases, rapidly moving in where it is not wanted.

(Chicago, Illinois) Decades of fossil fuel burning since the start of the industrial revolution has increased atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide by about 50% -- to about 370 parts per million (ppm) - a fact which all reputable scientists now say will cause the eventual destruction of life as we know it from global warming.

But while we patiently wait for that apocalyptic day to arrive, many people are now also having to deal with another sinister side effect of the extra CO2: plants are loving it. The extra plant "food" has caused a worldwide greening of the Earth, with vegetation sprouting to life in the spring weeks before it is supposed to. This unnatural disruption of Mother Nature's busy schedule has even caused some tropical species to expand their habitats poleward.

This worldwide greening has led to an unexpected problem for motorists in many countries. People are increasingly finding their cars, trucks, and SUVs covered in vegetation that has grown overnight into tangled masses that engulf their vehicles.
figo

Postby lonewolf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 am

I am still not worried about global warming but I am worried that I had to read that cartoon twice to figure out it was ridiculing those of my political/scientific persuasion.
I only regret I will not be around to see the 2090 beach babes.
lonewolf

Postby figo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:04 am

lonewolf wrote:I am still not worried about global warming but I am worried that I had to read that cartoon twice to figure out it was ridiculing those of my political/scientific persuasion.
I only regret I will not be around to see the 2090 beach babes.

it's a funny cartoon and of course i had to read it twice too.
but i hit myself in the head with the 2x4 before i read it....

i like how scientists are grouped into two categories, the "consensus" clear minded bunch and the maverick renegade bunch prone to diatribe.
or more like all real scientists are the so called consensus group.
in my experience, a bunch of scientists often couldn't agree with the color of sheit, with it there on the table during the debate....

you know what? gwarming works with gore and a run for president.
figo

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:11 pm

More proof of a flat world:

Yet the snotty know-it-alls of the world continue to deny.
Mighty Favog

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:More proof of a flat world:

Yet the snotty know-it-alls of the world continue to deny.

You shouldn't talk about Gore that way. I myself dont pretend to know anything but the Doomer's Christ knows what the temp will be in Detroit 20 years from now. Thats impressive.
SQUACKEE

Postby figo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
figo

Postby Pego » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm

figo wrote:Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

BRAVO!
:D :P :D
Pego

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Forecast for 3/6/07 Coldest day in March every recorded possible
am- 1 degrees with 40 mph winds -20 windchill

18 the high- record is 17

This is what i get for making fun of global warming!
:cry:
SQUACKEE

Postby lonewolf » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:19 pm

This too will pass.. just keep in mind that -1 in March and 100 in August is an average of a chilly 50 F.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 am

If you're on the fence on global warming and what, if anything, should be done about it, you might want to read a short article in today's Wall Street Journal, which says that before too long, the growing use of ethanol as fuel could have some unanticipated effects. Specifically, we could see an increase in the price of all of the principal ingredients of a pepperoni pizza!
tandfman

Postby tafnut » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:44 am

tandfman wrote:we could see an increase in the price of all of the principal ingredients of a pepperoni pizza!

Egad man, now THAT is a crisis of EPIC proportions!!!
tafnut

Postby tandfman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 am

Zackly!
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:58 am

Ethanol might sound good in theory. However, among its problem are: producing it is a net energy loss, it would require virtually all the US corn, soybean, etc production to produce enough ethanol to replace current imports and would result in shortages and increased price of many foodstuffs..
Atomic, wind and solar are all more practical supplements to fossil fuel.
lonewolf

Postby tafnut » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:01 am

lonewolf wrote:Atomic

I totally agree, but that never gets past the NIMBY argument (3MI, Chernobyl, etc.)
tafnut

Postby tandfman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:10 am

A minute or so ago, the google ad at the top of the page had the headline "Global Warming is a Myth." If you clicked, you got to an offer of a "free" book on the subject. The book is entitled "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism." The usual book club catch--you pay S&H and agree to buy two books, preumably of a similar political orientation, in the next year. At any rate, for gm, MJD and any other so-called conservatives around here (which, just for the record, does not include me):

https://www.conservativebookclub.com/Jo ... d_cd=c7020
tandfman

Postby tafnut » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:15 am

tandfman wrote:"Global Warming is a Myth."

I don't clearly understand what the agenda of the cons(ervatives) is in this regard. Are we NOT polluting the Earth? We gain a lot by cleaning up our act (literally!). What do we gain by NOT protecting Mother Earth from further pollution?
tafnut

Postby EPelle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:21 pm

Fricken freezing here in Danmark tonight.... sheesh.

I also agree that we have much to gain and more to lose by not polluting.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:27 pm

tafnut wrote:I don't clearly understand what the agenda of the cons(ervatives) is in this regard.

So read the book! :)
tandfman

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:31 pm

The question is not weather were polluting or not, thats a given, the question - Well major coastal cities be underwater in a generation? This has been stated as a fact if we dont change course.
SQUACKEE

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:56 pm

I keep trying to ignore this tempest in a teapot but it just won't go away.
I consider the global warming/ environment issue a scientific controversy, not a "conservative" vs. "liberal" political matter; despite my observation that it is rooted in a world wide agenda to make the US the non-deserving villain.
I don't recall seeing any stastics confiming or refuting my impression that the majority of environmental alarmists seem to be of a liberal bent. Maybe it just strikes me that way because Chief Alarmist Al Gore is a study in hypocrisy as he jets around spreading non-organic quasi-scientific fertilizer.
Thankfully, legions of qualified scientists are coming forward to dismantle the tendentious theories Gore is espousing.
I believe there are well intentioned people at every point of the political spectrum who hold the same and opposing scientific opinions. Fortunately, we still have that freedom, despite attempts to censure some meterologists and scientists who do not toe the global warming line.
I do not condemn or critize those concerned about global warming and environmental fragility. I just don't agree with them.
There is no reason not to be as environmentally conscious as practical. If it makes you feel good, do or don't do it.
I can only repeat my mantra. Man did not cause and cannot change climate fluctuations.
lonewolf

Postby EPelle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:00 pm

lonewolf wrote:I can only repeat my mantra. Man did not cause and cannot change climate fluctuations.

Really? Has the earth just taken on these conditions naturally? I would like to believe that smog in Los Angeles -- which has now crept up to San José -- has had some impact on the environment.
EPelle

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:The question is not weather were polluting or not, thats a given, the question - Well major coastal cities be underwater in a generation? This has been stated as a fact if we dont change course.

Squakee, Squakee, Squakee, .. Many things "stated" as fact are not, in fact, facts. They are frequently opinions.

Many ancient seaports are now miles inland and many are now underwater. It happens and will continue to happen. Man, despite his good intentions, cannot reverse global climate changes in a generation or ten thousand generations
lonewolf

Postby EPelle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Lonewolf, in response to your last post, perhaps not. However, should we agree that we are responsible to some degree for those adverse changes?
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:17 pm

lonewolf wrote:Man did not cause and cannot change climate fluctuations.

Although you seem to oppose the absolutists on both ends of the spectrum on this issue, that last statement is, it seems to me, extreme. I am neither a politician nor a scientist, but from what I've read, it seems that man has caused some (though by no means all) recent climate fluctuations, and man can alter the course of some (but by no means all) future fluctuations.

If there's any truth to that at all, it is irresponsible to simply ignore the issue, shrug one's shoulders, and say that these are historically ordained inexorable forces, so why talk about them.
tandfman

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:20 pm

lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:The question is not weather were polluting or not, thats a given, the question - Well major coastal cities be underwater in a generation? This has been stated as a fact if we dont change course.

Squakee, Squakee, Squakee, .. Many things "stated" as fact are not, in fact, facts. They are frequently opinions.

I totally agree with you lonewolf. That was my point. Are the proposed facts actually facts. Gore does Not present them as opinions.
SQUACKEE

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:23 pm

EPelle wrote:Lonewolf, in response to your last post, perhaps not. However, should we agree that we are responsible to some degree for those adverse changes?

EPelle, I cannot dispute that man has short term local effect and has done some incredibly ill-advised things environmentally.
My point is: Man has been was doing stupid things forever. There has actually been improvement in environmental practice since the industrial smoke stack era. There are just more of us now, concentrated in too small areas.
lonewolf

Postby bad hammy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Happy 6k, SQUACKMAN. :D
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:26 pm

If more of us are doing more harm than good, will that be considered a positive or neutral impact on the environment?
EPelle

Postby Pego » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:16 pm

tandfman wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Man did not cause and cannot change climate fluctuations.

Although you seem to oppose the absolutists on both ends of the spectrum on this issue, that last statement is, it seems to me, extreme. I am neither a politician nor a scientist, but from what I've read, it seems that man has caused some (though by no means all) recent climate fluctuations, and man can alter the course of some (but by no means all) future fluctuations.

If there's any truth to that at all, it is irresponsible to simply ignore the issue, shrug one's shoulders, and say that these are historically ordained inexorable forces, so why talk about them.

The fact remains that the American Academy of Science has issued several warnings over years. If they are "chicken littles" as some have classified it, count me in as another "chicken little".
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Ok, squak, I failed to recognize the intent of the bold fact.. I think we are on the same side, if not at the precise point, of this bell curve.
lonewolf

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:35 pm

bad hammy wrote:Happy 6k, SQUACKMAN. :D

Thanx in dis-repair hammy.
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm just glad to know that there are bigger losers, I mean, folks with more posts than me. :P
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 pm

bad hammy wrote:I'm just glad to know that there are bigger losers, I mean, folks with more posts than me. :P

Opinion - not facts in evidence!
:wink:
tafnut

Postby Daisy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:04 am

tafnut wrote:Opinion - not facts in evidence!

Huh? There are probably thousands of facts in the archives. And that doesn't include all the ones you deleted! I'm not sure you want to go down this path tafnut. 8)

P.S. I CAN STILL REMEMBER SQUACKEES FIRST POST! :wink:
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:26 am

Daisy wrote:
tafnut wrote:Opinion - not facts in evidence!

Huh? There are probably thousands of facts in the archives. And that doesn't include all the ones you deleted! I'm not sure you want to go down this path tafnut. 8)

P.S. I CAN STILL REMEMBER SQUACKEES FIRST POST! :wink:

YOUR MEEMOREE MITE BEE A LITLE OF.
SQUACKEE

Postby figo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:55 pm

bad hammy wrote:I'm just glad to know that there are bigger losers, I mean, folks with more posts than me. :P

it depends on what you're doing here.
certainly for me it's better than tv.
i can't watch it, got a 6 foot thing, er...tv
if i watch a commercial, the first thing i can think of is to take out a shot gun and blow a hole in it.
fortunately i don't own a shotgun.

you can ask yourself, what's important in life.
i really don't see the time waste here in comparison to alternatives, provided you
make a laugh, put forward thought provoking commentary, useful info...
or enjoy it.
figo

Postby figo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:16 pm

i think the global warming debate is proceeding just fine.

oddly as a self proclaimed green guy, i'm seemingly on the side of evil, go carbon burners go.

nope.

here is an example situation.

here in vancouver we have a seemingly environmental friendly, good morals, etc. type of bunch in city hall for ever.

now traffic is a problem - cosmo-vancouver, and my environmental friends at town hall have their solutions. no overpass, highways like la no way. lets stop all of that.
pedestrians should be taken care of, bicycles are the way to go.
ok, so far so good, good ideas right?

well what has happened in downtown and all over the place is that they've installed pedestrian crosswalks everywhere and i mean everwhere.
this means red lights every block.
there is no way to drain traffic from down town, other areas.
there is no route out.
traffic sits, time is wasted, fuel is wasted, impatient drivers take out pedestrians,
they've put bike lanes in the middle of the routes out of town beside parking.
you have to see it to believe it.

the end result is that this mismash is very bad for the auto, very bad for the pedestrian and above all a death trap for the bike guy.

so i'm a green guy, but there is nothing worse than a dumb ass with power and a budget.

that's what i see in al gore. and that's why he's not president.
in addition to being green, i favor democrats.

i'd like my guys to get their act together.
figo

PreviousNext