Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby tandfman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 pm

Very interesting article. Thank you.

Gore was graduated from Harvard cum laude. He's obviously not dumb. He apparenty did not do well in science, either in high school or college. OK, he didn't go into the sciences as a career.

Fact is, I don't care if the President is a scientist or did well in science in school. I do think it's best if the President has a willingness to listen to responsible scientists, take appropriate positions on public issues with scientific implications, and exercise the political skills needed to give effect to those positions. Not wanting to get this post pulled, I'll say no more.
tandfman

Postby MJD » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:27 pm

figo wrote:Then he came to Gore's results in IQ tests taken in 1961 and 1964, at the beginning of his freshman and senior years. "One thirty-three and 134. Absolutely superb. That means tremendous ability."

No one wants to go there-trust me.
MJD

Postby MJD » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:46 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
tafnut wrote:
MJD wrote:Soft, whiny and lazy USAnians

Redundant,redundant, redundant

Colder in Buffalo today than it was the day after the Super Bowl but, funny, the schools didn't get closed. Strange how that works.
MJD

Postby MJD » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:44 am

This is funny:

"As much of the United States already knows, February doesn't seem as unusually warm as January was."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070215/D8NAE9404.html
MJD

Postby figo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:16 pm

i'm getting scared about global warming....

after all this cold weather, the earth seems to be hotter than ever. oh no.

imagine how much warmer earth will be when the weather is not so cold, like say summer, my friends?

look out.
figo

Postby figo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 pm

"According to a new U.N. report, the global warming outlook is much worse than originally predicted. Which is pretty bad when they originally predicted it would destroy the planet." --Jay Leno

"The report on climate change said that humans are very likely making the planet warmer. To which Hillary Clinton said, 'Hey, can't blame me for that one.'" --Jay Leno

"President Bush has a plan. He says that if we need to, we can lower the temperature dramatically just by switching from Fahrenheit to Celsius" --Jimmy Kimmel, on fighting global warming

"Scientists say because of global warming they expect the world's oceans to rise four and a half feet. The scientists say this can mean only one thing: Gary Coleman is going to drown." --Conan O'Brien

Finally, President Bush is going to do something about global warming. He became alarmed when another chunk of ice fell off his mother." --David Letterman

"Has anybody seen the Al Gore movie about global warming and the environment? Well, the Bush administration has seen it and they are very annoyed about the whole thing. As a matter of fact, earlier today, Dick Cheney shot a projectionist. ... One very dramatic scene in the Al Gore global warming movie is when a glacier melts and they find more Al Gore ballots from the election." --David Letterman

"President Bush told reporters he won't see Al Gore's documentary about the threat of global warming. He will not see it. On the other hand, Dick Cheney said he's seen the global warming film five times, and it still cracks him up." --Conan O'Brien

"According to a survey in this week's Time magazine, 85% of Americans think global warming is happening. The other 15% work for the White House." --Jay Leno

"Al Gore has a hit movie called 'An Inconvenient Truth.' I have an inconvenient truth for him: you're still not the president. ... This past weekend, Al Gore's movie, 'An Inconvenient Truth,' earned more per screen than any film in the country. ... I dare say Gore's movie is the highest grossing PowerPoint presentation in history. ... Global warming: Can we live with it? ... It is time we did something, namely resign ourselves to doing nothing [on screen: Follow Congress' Lead]. ... For instance, when sea levels rise, we'll just build levees [on screen: Worked for New Orleans]" --Stephen Colbert

"Experts say this global warming is serious, and they are predicting now that by the year 2050, we will be out of party ice." --David Letterman

"Former Vice President Al Gore starring in a new documentary about global warming. I believe it's called [Leno snores]. ... The film actually features Al Gore and explores his journey on how he first got interested in temperature change. It started back when he was vice president. He noticed how the temperature would change, like whenever Bill would walk into the room, it would get warm and whenever Hillary walked into the room, it got cold." --Jay Leno

"President Bush said global warming is happening much quicker than he thought, and then his staff pulled him aside and said 'It's just springtime.'" --Jay Leno

"Arnold Schwarzenegger is blaming man for global warming. And today, Al Gore agreed with him. That's so typical. Two cyborgs, 'Oh, let's blame the humans.'" --Jay Leno

"Al Gore is coming out with a movie about global warming called 'An Inconvenient Truth.' It's described as a detailed scientific view of global warming. President Bush said he just saw a film about global warming, 'Ice Age 2; The Meltdown.' He said, 'It's so much better than that boring Al Gore movie.'" --Jay Leno

"Don't kid yourself. Global warming is no joke. Here's how serious global warming has gotten to be in the United States. In this country global warming is so bad, we are now actually starting to warm up to Barry Bonds." --David Letterman

"According to Time magazine, global warming is 33% worse than we thought. You know what that means? Al Gore is one-third more annoying than we thought." --Jay Leno

"They say if the warming trend continues, by 2015 Hillary Clinton might actually thaw out." --Jay Leno, on global warming

"Al Gore announced he is finishing up a new book about global warming and the environment. Yeah, the first chapter talks about how you shouldn't chop down trees to make a book that no one will read." --Conan O'Brien

"We estimate that there are perhaps 20,000 prehistoric hunter-gatherers frozen up in those glaciers. Now, if they simply thaw and wander around, it's not a problem, but if they find a leader -- a Captain Caveman, if you will -- we'll be facing an even more serious problem." --Daily Show correspondent John Hodgman, on the dangers of global warming

"At a press conference yesterday NASA announced that 2005 was the hottest year on record. It is so hot, and global warming is so bad, if the presidential election were held today, Al Gore would still lose." --Jay Leno

"Heating bills this winter are the highest they've been in five years, but President Bush has a plan to combat rising bills. It's called global warming." --Jay Leno

Yesterday, a group of scientists warned that because of global warming, sea levels will rise so much that parts of New Jersey will be under water. The bad news? Parts of New Jersey won't be under water." --Conan O'Brien

"Al Gore said over the weekend that global warming is more serious than terrorism. Unless the terrorist is on your plane, then that extra half a degree doesn't bother you so much." --Jay Leno

"President Bush is taking more liberal positions. For example global warming. He used to be against it. Now it's the Republican plan for heating homes this winter." -Jay Leno

We should move towards a second ice age. Follow me, if the glaciers are coming towards us at like an inch a year, then the government would have time to respond." --Jay Leno

"Barbra Streisand told Diane Sawyer that we're in a global warming crisis, and we can expect more and more intense storms, droughts and dust bowls. But before they act, weather experts say they're still waiting to hear from Celine Dion." --Jay Leno (dust bowls were created in a cooling period 1930's- and subsided during the warming trend)

"Governor Schwarzenegger spoke about the dangers of global warming. Schwarzenegger's exact words were: fire, hot, bad." --Conan O'Brien

"NASA just released their new report on global warming or, as President Bush, calls it -- Spring." --Jay Leno
figo

Postby bad hammy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:40 pm

figo,

Thanks! Made me laugh . . .
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:52 pm

good stuff - I see all the 'Frigid Hilary' jokes and note that in today's paper there was an article about how the Republicans and Conservatives (sorry for the redundancy there) are ganging up on her now and starting their smear campaigns early. Obviously they are VERY scared of her and Obama, who is taking lots of shots pretty darned early in the campaign (only 21 shopping months left till the election :shock: ). I can only surmise that this campaign will be the messiest ever (or does each one get dirtier than the previous one, regardless of opponents?)!
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks, tafnut. We have carefully nurtured this thread for weeks and now you have to bring blatant partisan politics into it, ensuring its premature demise . . . :roll:
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Fine! In 2 minutes I'll delete this post, then you delete yours and I'll delete mine, got it?! :)
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:00 pm

tafnut wrote:good stuff - I see all the 'Frigid Hilary' jokes and note that in today's paper there was an article about how the Republicans and Conservatives (sorry for the redundancy there) are ganging up on her now and starting their smear campaigns early. Obviously they are VERY scared of her and Obama, who is taking lots of shots pretty darned early in the campaign (only 21 shopping months left till the election :shock: ). I can only surmise that this campaign will be the messiest ever (or does each one get dirtier than the previous one, regardless of opponents?)!

If only one side smeared this would be news. Let me know when she's called a retarded,blood thirsty, lying, betraying,drunken, draft dodging, nazi cowboy. :lol:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Never mind . . . squackee wrecked it . . . of course . . . :roll:
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 pm

tafnut wrote:Fine! In 2 minutes I'll delete this post, then you delete yours and I'll delete mine, got it?! :)

To late- mission impossible!
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:06 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:Let me know when she's called a retarded,blood thirsty, lying, betraying,drunken, draft dodging, nazi cowboy. :lol:

Obvious presidential material . . . :P
bad hammy

Postby tandfman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:21 pm

tafnut wrote:good stuff - I see all the 'Frigid Hilary' jokes and note that in today's paper there was an article about how the Republicans and Conservatives (sorry for the redundancy there) are ganging up on her now and starting their smear campaigns early.

Not all of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/19/us/po ... ref=slogin
tandfman

Postby figo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:21 pm

i stopped by the local for a few cold ones.
spotted a phd particle physicist who hangs about.
great, i get to be educated about cyclotrons, discuss the cause of inertia, what happens if you bash this into that, etc.
well someone pops up and talks global warming.
of course, i pop up and say, you know the max plank institute says this, co2 according to this other institute does that.....

is short order a normally coherent conversation resembles a debate among people with religious fervor....
logic goes out the window, hey how about those rain forests? you want those cut down?
it comes down to having the top guys knowing how we know things. what is good data, what is not. no spins, balls.
unfortunately once we get emotional, we spin things in our head.
such is life as we know it.
Last edited by figo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
figo

Postby figo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 pm

er cyclotrons-above, how do you edit? after the button goes away?
buttons came back, fixed it.
Last edited by figo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
figo

Postby tandfman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

I've never seen the edit button go away. I recently edited something I thnk I did more than a year ago. The thread was active again, I noticed a typo, opened it with the edit button, and fixed it.
tandfman

Postby MJD » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:35 am

Only there if you are logged in.
MJD

Postby tandfman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:42 am

True, but he had to have been logged in when he made both of those postings. Now that I look again, I see there was a two-hour gap between the two postings. Perhaps he saw the first while not logged in, then logged in to make the second, not realizing that by logging in, he got himself access to the edit button for the first, thus obviating the second.

Ironically, edited to fix typo.
Last edited by tandfman on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tandfman

Postby figo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:56 am

thanks all for looking into the edit thing.
figo

Postby MJD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:36 am

tandfman wrote:True, but he had to have been logged in when he made both of those postings. Now that I look again, I see there was a two-hour gap between the two postings. Perhaps he saw the first while not logged in, then logged in to make the second, not realizing that by logging in, he got himself access to the edit button for the first, thus obviating the second.

Ironically, edited to fix typo.

Who knows. All I know is that you have to be logged in to see the edit function.
MJD

Postby tandfman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:59 am

MJD wrote:All I know is that you have to be logged in to see the edit function.

Well, yes. It has to be that way or else anyone could edit anything regardless of authorship. The edit button appears only on things the logged-in user has created.
tandfman

Postby figo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:20 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/23/AR2006052301305_pf.html

The Tempest

By Joel Achenbach
Sunday, May 28, 2006; W08

right now they are paying people to find facts that support gwarming while
firing guys, cutting funding that have contrary findings.

its a kangaroo court, a crazed mob, witch hunt,etc.etc.
Last edited by figo on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
figo

Postby figo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:22 pm

http://www.russiablog.org/2007/03/russian_astronomer_points_to_g.php

Russian Astronomer Cites Global Warming On Mars, Doubts Man-Made Climate Change on Earth

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

of course, the above conclusions are not well received... better cancel the research budgets of the above aholes...., maybe consider shutting down national geographic for being anti-semetic, as denying global warming = denying the holocaust... =..

and doubly of course is that the al gore think tank will say that man made global warming is so profound that the whole solar system is warming up, infact, causing the sun to overheat as well... god, pluto may heat up from -278 to -277, screwing up that planet totally.
figo

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Geeezzzz. This thread is harder to kill than kudzu.
I check in about once a month and am pleased to note that figo is still a voice of reason fighting the good fight for those of us who refuse to be panicked by pop-pseudo science which ignores five billion years of repetitive reality.
lonewolf

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:13 am

lonewolf wrote:Geeezzzz. This thread is harder to kill than kudzu.
I check in about once a month and am pleased to note that figo is still a voice of reason fighting the good fight for those of us who refuse to be panicked by pop-pseudo science which ignores five billion years of repetitive reality.

Dont forget Squackee as a voice of reason. The good news from the "world is ending" crowd is that they're so hysterical that the world will be pretty much F#$%$ in 20 years. I intended to be around then and when the doomers all have a cream pie thrown in their face i might just emit a razzberry in their general direction. Or theyre right and im gonna drown from the death of a million icebergs.

Please note that im fully aware that in 20 years there will be another and more popular end of the world farce.

They have some what successfully advanced the idea that if you dont agree with the doomers your a Nazi. Thats pretty impressive.

I did see the doomers Christ at an award show recently. I was a little disappointed he didnt levitate, although i did hear later he did with the aid of a private machine spewing a toxic gas and rising to the heavens.
SQUACKEE

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:44 am

Sorry, Squak. I did not mean to denigrate anyone's contribution to the defense of reason in this brew-ha-ha... I know there are others here who share my opinion that we are not facing an immediate climatic apocalypse and that man is not responsible for the natural thermal fluctuations of the earth. I am just impressed with the quantity and quality of figo's arguments in doing the heavy lifting in documenting my conclusions..
lonewolf

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:16 am

No worries lonewolf. I appreciate figo's data as well. The Gore's movie im sure is very convincing but its not fact its propaganda just as a movie promoting the idea that man has no effect on the temp. of earth with dozens of "experts" would also be propaganda.

Im going to Home Depot today and im gonna buy a earth friendly lite bulb. While im there im gonna get some lumber and build a soap box to stand on. :P
SQUACKEE

Postby Mighty Favog » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:36 pm

I think this sums up the discussion nicely:

Mighty Favog

Postby bad hammy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:46 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:I think this sums up the discussion nicely:

Made me laugh - thanks!
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm

Im not that smart but i think the message of the cartoon is people who believe that global warming may not be man made are as out of touch as people who believe the world is flat. Just amazing.

Maybe some day there will be one view and one only. Wont that be great?
SQUACKEE

Postby Mighty Favog » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:09 pm

And what makes you think the world isn't flat?
Mighty Favog

Postby figo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:19 pm

sorry guys, i came across some disturbing information.
global warming is real..see indisputable data below.

another thing, my weekly check from the oil companies was cut in half.
and the global warmers made me a better offer....

to fully adjust my new attitude, i just hit myself in the head with a 2x4 a few times..

the colors tell the tale....
i did an experiment to see what happens on a small scale if you heat up a globe, you know what? it melts, think about it...

i don't read german but it looks pretty bad. i'm pretty sure gaz is gas....

if it gets any warmer, well you know what happens in the next chick shot, and we can't have that can we?

recent shot from greenland (above), note how the locals are turning brown...
to comment on what that dude is doing, would be to go off topic, and is none of my damn business.
http://www.ecoenquirer.com/Frosty-Cove-Alaska.htm

read on to become much more better informationalized.
here is my first article, a tribute to my new boss al gore.

Pristine Alaskan Glacier Turns Into Tropical Wasteland

(Updated July 9, 2006)

(Frosty Cove, Alaska) Few places on Earth have suffered the ravages of global warming more than Alaska. While recent news reports have highlighted accounts of the native Inuits' snowmobiles falling through the ice, threatening their traditional way of life, there are isolated parts of Alaska have been completely transformed by global warming.

Possibly the most frightening example of this climate catastrophe that continues to unfold before the eyes of humanity is the case of Frosty Cove, Alaska. Once dominated by a pristine ice field, with a slowly advancing glacier dumping its frigid cargo into the sea, the Cove's original beauty has been forever lost.

1986: Frosty Cove's original pristine state featured majestic ice fields and rock outcroppings.

Totally devoid of the ice and magnificent rock outcropping that once adorned the lanscape, Frosty Cove has become the poster child for the ravaging effects of global warming. In the accompanying pair of photographs, taken only twenty years apart, the environmental degradation is immediately obvious. Types of vegetation totally foreign to Alaska have invaded the region, upsetting the delicate ecological balance that once existed. Clouds of mosquitos, once so abundant in the cool moist climate of Alaska, have all but disappeared.

Antarctic Ice Increasing AND Decreasing
Seemingly contradictory research results, such as recent reports of both decreasing and increasing Antarctic ice, can be explained with a new metaphysical theory.

(La Jolla, California) Recent scientific publications have reported either inceasing or decreasing ice volumes on the Antarctic continent, and while this would seem to suggest considerable scientific uncertainty on the issue, new research suggests that both findings might be true at the same time.

Dr. Elizabeth Frost of the Paraphysical Research Institute in La Jolla, California, has come up with a theory that might reconcile what are often considered to be contradictory results in scientific research.

"What we believe," Dr. Frost told ecoEnquirer, "is that a new paradigm is needed in scientific thought. Since mutually exclusive sets of scientific results usually are published in respected scientific publications, we suggest that they are both true. There is a higher level of physical understanding that must be developed, one where the Yin and Yang of scientific findings are reconciled, better understood, and appreciated."

Breaking News: Extra Carbon Dioxide Causing Plant Attacks
Extra Carbon Dioxide Causing Plant Attacks

The extra carbon dioxide from mankind's burning of fossil fuels has caused a new problem -- vegetation that is gobbling up the extra "plant food" and, in some cases, rapidly moving in where it is not wanted.

(Chicago, Illinois) Decades of fossil fuel burning since the start of the industrial revolution has increased atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide by about 50% -- to about 370 parts per million (ppm) - a fact which all reputable scientists now say will cause the eventual destruction of life as we know it from global warming.

But while we patiently wait for that apocalyptic day to arrive, many people are now also having to deal with another sinister side effect of the extra CO2: plants are loving it. The extra plant "food" has caused a worldwide greening of the Earth, with vegetation sprouting to life in the spring weeks before it is supposed to. This unnatural disruption of Mother Nature's busy schedule has even caused some tropical species to expand their habitats poleward.

This worldwide greening has led to an unexpected problem for motorists in many countries. People are increasingly finding their cars, trucks, and SUVs covered in vegetation that has grown overnight into tangled masses that engulf their vehicles.
figo

Postby lonewolf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 am

I am still not worried about global warming but I am worried that I had to read that cartoon twice to figure out it was ridiculing those of my political/scientific persuasion.
I only regret I will not be around to see the 2090 beach babes.
lonewolf

Postby figo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:04 am

lonewolf wrote:I am still not worried about global warming but I am worried that I had to read that cartoon twice to figure out it was ridiculing those of my political/scientific persuasion.
I only regret I will not be around to see the 2090 beach babes.

it's a funny cartoon and of course i had to read it twice too.
but i hit myself in the head with the 2x4 before i read it....

i like how scientists are grouped into two categories, the "consensus" clear minded bunch and the maverick renegade bunch prone to diatribe.
or more like all real scientists are the so called consensus group.
in my experience, a bunch of scientists often couldn't agree with the color of sheit, with it there on the table during the debate....

you know what? gwarming works with gore and a run for president.
figo

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:11 pm

More proof of a flat world:

Yet the snotty know-it-alls of the world continue to deny.
Mighty Favog

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:More proof of a flat world:

Yet the snotty know-it-alls of the world continue to deny.

You shouldn't talk about Gore that way. I myself dont pretend to know anything but the Doomer's Christ knows what the temp will be in Detroit 20 years from now. Thats impressive.
SQUACKEE

Postby figo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
figo

Postby Pego » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm

figo wrote:Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

BRAVO!
:D :P :D
Pego

PreviousNext