What are you reading now?


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Flumpy » Sat May 07, 2011 2:52 pm

I also read Tab Hunter's autobiography.

I'm in love!!!
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby DrJay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Law, no ones here done said nothin' 'bout "The Help" wrote by Kathryn Stockett? Da Help, it be good book! Hear tell gone be movie soon. If'in you be's from da South, o' even you's not, you gots to read Da Help. Make yo' eyes see things differnt ways, affer you done readin'.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:39 am

I'm on Game Of Thrones which is amazing and just bought the next 2 more to come. This could take a while :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:24 am

Morbidly enough I'm reading 2 books on the Rape of Nanking. I've just seen a movie called: John Rabe, about a Nazi living in Nanking who helped save 1,2 hundred thousand Chinese from the Japanese. Knowing how movies expand the truth I like to read up on historical issues. In his case the story is largely true. The irony of a Nazi saving people from genocide intrigues me.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Friar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I read Sammy Hagar's autobio. Eddie Van Halen isn't presented well in the narrative. Another genius musical talent on the brink...
Friar
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the Bay.

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby KDFINE » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I just finished reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson, which is primarily about the U.S. ambassador to Germany beginning in 1933 and his daughter. He'd been a history professor at the University of Chicago and didn't have diplomatic experience. I think that it is probably better than his previous best seller "Devil in the White City" because it is more compact, and given the time frames, is about an era most readers would be more familiar with. They are both great and readable books.

Now, in need of lighter fare, I'm reading "Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure - The True Story of a Great American Road Trip," by Matthew Algeo. I'd never heard of it, but spotted it during the last days of Borders Book Store.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 am

For some reason I slipped into re-read mode; sometimes the goldie-oldies on the shelf just look too enticing. Banged out Krakauer's Into Thin Air (shudder); now on Dr. Dean Edell's Eat, Drink & Be Merry.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby mike renfro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Been awhile. I did finish the "Girl with...." series, and watched the movies. Pretty good stuff, for the genre. In the last week I ran through the latest Tanenbaum and Paterson books. One night reads (actually 1.5 for Tanenbaum). Right now, I am halfway through "Rebecca". Saw the Hitchcock movie, the novel (novella?) is pretty good. When we were up for our Ashland duty, I picked up a mystery book at a used book store in Jacksonville. The lead was "The Big Sleep". The Bogart movie was pretty true to the story (as was The Maltese Falcon"). They didn't futz around with the masters in the old days. There are storys by Sayers, Marsh usw. I haven't looked ahead, but it has given me more than $1.50 worth of pleasure. Hell, I even found Ulysses, so maybe I get some culture amidst the trash :D
mike renfro
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: San Diego

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:15 am

I have been browsing vintage NGs..love the ads.

I have a complete (minus Oct 1928) collection of National Geographics, courtesy of my late mother-in-law, whose husband gave her a lifetime subscription as a wedding present in 1916.
I have been a subscriber since 1955 and she gave me her 1916-55 collection.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have been browsing vintage NGs..love the ads.

I have a complete (minus Oct 1928) collection of National Geographics, courtesy of my late mother-in-law, whose husband gave her a lifetime subscription as a wedding present in 1916.
I have been a subscriber since 1955 and she gave me her 1916-55 collection.


Doesn't that large a collection have enough concentrated mass to form a black hole? :)
26mi235
 
Posts: 16320
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gh » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:05 pm

given the weight of the average issue of NG, we're talking blackholes squared.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby lonewolf » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:34 am

They are in six issue pre-labeled file boxes, designated Xmas gift from my sister-in-law, and only occupy four 48", six shelf book cases. Haven't weighed them but they are in a 2nd floor guest room and the floor hasn't collapsed. Yet.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby lapsus » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:30 am

The C Programming Language, ANSI C Edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie.

Ritchie and the C language seemed like equally eternal elder statesmen of the technology world to the young student. Now only one of them remains.

The book is one of the rare breed that you can read at any level of experience and competence in the subject and still benefit from it.
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby bambam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:36 am

Steve Jobs bio by Walter Issacson - book is great. Explains well what a genius Jobs really was, but does not pull any punches and pictures him as a complete jerk with almost no people skills.

Also Mickey Mantle bio by Jane Leavy - one of the great lines ever in there - "Mickey Mantle's aura had an aura."

Also Knocking on Heaven's Door by Lisa Randall
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gh » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Rereading Kon-Tiki, which I haven't read since junior high (or maybe even elementary school; it's a hardback dated 1951). Some of the science/anthropology is a bit laughable now, but it's nonetheless a compelling read. (The K-T is gone, of course, but did get to see Heyerdahl's subsequent Ra in the museum in Oslo a couple of years back)
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Marlow » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 pm

lonewolf wrote:They are in six issue pre-labeled file boxes, designated Xmas gift from my sister-in-law, and only occupy four 48", six shelf book cases. Haven't weighed them but they are in a 2nd floor guest room and the floor hasn't collapsed. Yet.

My parents got NG from further back than my memory goes (54, on a good day) and I remember they occupied many feet of our den's wall-length shelves (at least 6'-x12' of bookcase). I have no idea what happened to them all after my parents' deaths in the 80s. :(
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby jules » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Money Ball. A friend gave it to me a few years and I put it on the shelf. The buzz about the movie made me read it. Really enjoying it.
jules
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby bambam » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:49 am

gh wrote:Rereading Kon-Tiki, which I haven't read since junior high (or maybe even elementary school; it's a hardback dated 1951). Some of the science/anthropology is a bit laughable now, but it's nonetheless a compelling read. (The K-T is gone, of course, but did get to see Heyerdahl's subsequent Ra in the museum in Oslo a couple of years back)


What a great choice to read. Should be fun. Couple years ago I re-read Alice in Wonderland and loved it.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Avante » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 am

Am about to read in order the life stories of...

Paul McCartney
James Dean
Marlon Brando
Robert Mitchum
Janis Joplin
James Cagney
George Raft
Willie Nelson
Avante
 
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:31 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Rereading the long version of The Count of Monte Cristo. It is VERY LONG, but good. Always loved the story. The book, beyond the imprisonment, has very little to do with the most recent theatrical version.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gh » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Has long been a dream of mine to get my French skills up to the point where I could read Monte Cristo in the original, but alas....

I'll not be rereading the copy I have, that's for sure. Hardback published in London, I believe in the 1890s, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's in 5-point type. Nearly blinded me even when I was a lad with 20-20.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Monte Cristo is Mrs Pego's alltime favorite book, for me Dumas' best, better than the Three musketeers. While dating, we saw a movie version with Jean Marais in the leading role (made in the 50ies, IIRC) :D . I think, it followed the book fairly well.
Pego
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 pm

gh wrote:Has long been a dream of mine to get my French skills up to the point where I could read Monte Cristo in the original, but alas....

I'll not be rereading the copy I have, that's for sure. Hardback published in London, I believe in the 1890s, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's in 5-point type. Nearly blinded me even when I was a lad with 20-20.


Get an e-reader. You can adjust the font size as fits your needs. Plus, you can get a copy of that book very cheap.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Picked up A Beautiful Mind by Nasar (made into the movie by the same name). The people that show up in one five-page sequence was amazing. It was interesting to read that he was only a close also-ran in the Putnam competition (he was not a pure problem solver of 'short' problems.

Just after I read that section I got a shock when I talked with a women my wife and I know reasonably well. Her son went to West about 5 years ago (graduated), although he took most of his classes at the University of Wisconsin. Turns out he won the Putnam in his first year at MIT.... and then he won it again the next year.... and then he won it again the next year.... and then he won it again the next year. One of six or seven that have done that feat. I would be interested in hearing what people like Conor Dary think, since they have a better background for assessment.

I just finished reading Paradigms Lost: Images of Man in the Mirror of Science by Casti (1989). Interesting if a little bit of an unusual book. He brings in Noam Chomsky and grammar, origins of life, intelligent life in the universe, AI, ...

I also read

The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Rhodes), probably the best/most interesting book I have read in several years

The Canon (Angier), worth the 280 pages

Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos (Overbye) on Astronomers/Cosmologists [Good]

Black Holes & Time Warps (Kip Thorne) [very good, long but worth it, and he knew a number of the Soviet scientists and has things to tell from that source]

This is your Brain on Music (Levitan), which I recommend to the numerous posters interested in music and the mind

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (Morris), a bit dated now but quite good,

and something completely different, for those of you with talented kids:

The Overachievers (Robbins), a bit more popular culture but woven well by one from a few years past her own high school years.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16320
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm almost finished with David McCullough's "The Greater Journey". David McCullough is an excellent writer and I love history (you might have guessed). This book follows various famous Americans in Paris from the 1820's to the 20th Century. Many Americans came to Paris to study art, history, medicine, etc. because Paris was the best place to learn at that time. A good example is Samuel F.B. Morse who went to Paris to work on his painting. Morse was an excellent artist who loved to paint. Later (to make money) he "invented" the telegraph. Many interesting stories in this work.
DoubleRBar
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Mineral City

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gh » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 am

odelltrclan wrote:
gh wrote:Has long been a dream of mine to get my French skills up to the point where I could read Monte Cristo in the original, but alas....

I'll not be rereading the copy I have, that's for sure. Hardback published in London, I believe in the 1890s, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's in 5-point type. Nearly blinded me even when I was a lad with 20-20.


Get an e-reader. You can adjust the font size as fits your needs. Plus, you can get a copy of that book very cheap.


I'm guessing I'm gonna be a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. There's nothing quite like the smell and feel of book.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby lonewolf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:52 am

gh wrote:[I'm guessing I'm gonna be a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. There's nothing quite like the smell and feel of book.

Second the luddite movement.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby dj » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm

gh wrote:I'm guessing I'm gonna be a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. There's nothing quite like the smell and feel of book.


C'mon, GH. Can't you go another step and rid yourself of just one more e-gadget?

:)
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby odelltrclan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:27 pm

gh wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:
gh wrote:Has long been a dream of mine to get my French skills up to the point where I could read Monte Cristo in the original, but alas....

I'll not be rereading the copy I have, that's for sure. Hardback published in London, I believe in the 1890s, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's in 5-point type. Nearly blinded me even when I was a lad with 20-20.


Get an e-reader. You can adjust the font size as fits your needs. Plus, you can get a copy of that book very cheap.


I'm guessing I'm gonna be a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. There's nothing quite like the smell and feel of book.


While I agree that the look and feel of a book is desired and comforting at times, I enjoy having an e-reader (NOOK) as I can take an almost unlimited number of books anywhere I want to go, not to mention being able to change the way it reads (font, point size, etc.) if I so choose. That comes in handy frequently, though I still do by some books in paper form as well.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:07 pm

26mi235 wrote:The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Rhodes), probably the best/most interesting book I have read in several years


One of the great books I have ever read. It was followed by a sequel called Dark Sun - or effectively the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb. That was also great, but still not quite as good as the original.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:09 pm

lonewolf wrote:
gh wrote:[I'm guessing I'm gonna be a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. There's nothing quite like the smell and feel of book.

Second the luddite movement.


Until 1 month ago, I agreed with you. Then I got both an iPad and a Kindle. They are amazingly easy to use (prefer the iPad), and I'm not sure now I'll ever read another "popular" book in hardcopy form. Some of the arcane Olympic and track and sports stuff I get is not available in those formats so will still get hardcopies of those.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby kuha » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:27 pm

bambam wrote:
26mi235 wrote:The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Rhodes), probably the best/most interesting book I have read in several years


One of the great books I have ever read. It was followed by a sequel called Dark Sun - or effectively the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb. That was also great, but still not quite as good as the original.


I met Rhodes when he had just begun this book & it was interesting getting a sense of his excitement about the subject. He lived 2 blocks from me at the time and his wife was a close friend of my wife's. It IS a real classic of history writing.
kuha
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby bad hammy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 am

gh wrote:I'm guessing I'm gonna be a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. There's nothing quite like the smell and feel of book.

That was me before I developed a number of hand/wrist problems two years ago. Managing books with my mitts is now a problem, whereas the use of the Kindle could not be much easier.

In anticipation of the upcoming publication of volume four, my current read is volume three of Robert Caro's seriously epic and most-excellent bio of LBJ, easily the best written bio I've come across. Note that I thought pretty much the same thing about Taylor Branch's three-volume MLK bio, until I got to volume three. That last volume was unreadable.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 am

bad hammy wrote: That last volume was unreadable.

Speaking of which, has anyone else tried to read the Autobiography of Mark Twain that just got published last year? Samuel Clemens was an AWESOME writer, humorist, and social philosopher, but Holy Mackerel, his autobio is absolutely unreadable. It's just random remembrances and misanthropic rants. I will not be getting the next volume of it.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21088
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 am

kuha wrote:
bambam wrote:
26mi235 wrote:The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Rhodes), probably the best/most interesting book I have read in several years


One of the great books I have ever read. It was followed by a sequel called Dark Sun - or effectively the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb. That was also great, but still not quite as good as the original.


I met Rhodes when he had just begun this book & it was interesting getting a sense of his excitement about the subject. He lived 2 blocks from me at the time and his wife was a close friend of my wife's. It IS a real classic of history writing.


I have Dark Sun on the bookshelf to read in the not-too-distant future. Unfortunately I read too slowly and get waylaid by wasting too much time on the computer (getting better at that even though my presence here would indicate the contrary (I am leaving more thread unread these days).

This thread is by far my favorite, at least in the Things Not T&F (although there are so many T&F ones, not sure which I would list ahead of this one). One of the reasons is probably that I get to see other sides of posters that provide different perspectives on the people behind the nyms.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16320
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby bad hammy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:53 am

Marlow wrote:
bad hammy wrote: That last volume was unreadable.

Speaking of which, has anyone else tried to read the Autobiography of Mark Twain that just got published last year? Samuel Clemens was an AWESOME writer, humorist, and social philosopher, but Holy Mackerel, his autobio is absolutely unreadable. It's just random remembrances and misanthropic rants. I will not be getting the next volume of it.

I'd been warned about that by early reviewers and passed.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gh » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:56 pm

How The Cows Turned Mad by Maxime Schwartz of the Pasteur Institute. Not sure I'd recommend it to anybody without a decent grounding in bio-sci (or the desire to pick up some elevated knowledge along the way), but was a great "detective mystery" spanning centuries of development.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby gm » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 pm

gh wrote:How The Cows Turned Mad by Maxime Schwartz of the Pasteur Institute. Not sure I'd recommend it to anybody without a decent grounding in bio-sci (or the desire to pick up some elevated knowledge along the way), but was a great "detective mystery" spanning centuries of development.


Interesting to me in that the fear of CJD transmission is why I cannot donate blood, according to those who make such decisions.
gm
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Pego » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:00 am

gm wrote:
gh wrote:How The Cows Turned Mad by Maxime Schwartz of the Pasteur Institute. Not sure I'd recommend it to anybody without a decent grounding in bio-sci (or the desire to pick up some elevated knowledge along the way), but was a great "detective mystery" spanning centuries of development.


Interesting to me in that the fear of CJD transmission is why I cannot donate blood, according to those who make such decisions.


What is their listed reason for you being high risk? Living in UK?
Pego
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby Daisy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:34 am

Pego wrote:What is their listed reason for you being high risk? Living in UK?

Living in the UK when the 'tainted' meat was in general circulation. For the same reason I cannot give blood here either.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests