What are you reading now?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby jamese1045 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 am

trig wrote:Okay, we had the thread on the number of hours read. But what exactly are you reading?

I am reading Rex Stout's "Death of a Doxy", a Nero Wolfe mystery and
the DK "World War I".

By the way, I had a good idea what it meant but I looked it up to be sure.

–noun . 1. an immoral woman; prostitute.
2. Archaic. a mistress.

[Origin: 1520–30; of obscure orig.]

When I'm not working on my concordance of Finnegan's Wake :mrgreen: , I'm reading I, SNIPER by Stephen Hunter. I appreciate a strong story and attention to detail You sort of need some background and interest in guns, of course; but this is a cracking good story per se. I say per se because it's got the larger-than-life non-ex-marine :) as hero(s) pulling off amazing derring-do. And shooting. I mean I was a pretty good ratkiller when I was a tadpole on a ranch, but these cats, these snipers have racked op nearly a hundred--recorded--kills.

Well, never mind that there's some overblown heroism and marine corp hoorah, just read it for good story-telling and a welter of gun and shooting details.

p.s. my wife doesn't want t me to take the book out of the house or let anyone know I read such burgoise trash--hell, I can't even spell burgeoiuse....
jamese1045

Postby gh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 am

Sniper was great; turned into a fairly decent action flic with Mark Wahlberg called Shooter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/

There are sequels to the book, but I've never read.
gh

Postby gh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 am

Somebody with a lot of time on their hands could try this: reading the entire OED!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/books ... ker-t.html
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:19 am

I am reading Oxygen; I am not sure what I expected but this is different.

One interesting item concerns the diffusion of Oxygen into tissues and into the cell powerhouse. Oxygen, of course, is a very dangerous substance and has to be carefully managed in an organism. If the concentration is not limited to very low levels the cells get trashed (Daisy can weigh in here). Basically, organisms have evolved to deal with the concentration of Oxygen that they face. The cover has a dragonfly from an era with a concentration of 35% (vs 21% now); the size is twice as large because the body can be bigger since the Oxygen can diffuse further in.

Now go to track, particularly distance running. animals that have lived many generations at altitude probably have less 'filtering' to the cells with the lower partial pressure of Oxygen. When the pressure is higher (sea level) are there negative consequences? I also remember reading that populations in three high-altitude regions, Tibet, Peru, and Kenya?, had different adaptations (Heamotocrit (sp?) in Keyna,...)

Anyone have any insights/comments.
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:37 pm

gh wrote:Somebody with a lot of time on their hands could try this: reading the entire OED!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/books ... ker-t.html

There is a Sherlock Holmes story, The Red-Headed League, where Professor Moriarty concocks a plot to break into a bank through an adjoining business, by getting the owner out with a cock and bull story about a will and a pointless job of copying encyclopedia from A to Z.

This sounds just as useful.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jeremyp » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Don't know if he's been mentioned before, but I heartily recommend Peter Hessler. He writes about China, non fiction. "Country Driving," "Oracle Bones," and "River Town." He's funny, insightful, and shows a China we know little about. He has driven across China, lived in villages, factory towns, Beijing, and he looks at China from a personal story view. After reading these books you won't see China as such a big threat.......yet. I'd recommend starting with his most recent: "Country Driving."
jeremyp

Postby kuha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 pm

jeremyp wrote:Don't know if he's been mentioned before, but I heartily recommend Peter Hessler. He writes about China, non fiction.

And he is/was a runner! Some good bits about running in China in at least one of his books...
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:41 pm

kuha wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Don't know if he's been mentioned before, but I heartily recommend Peter Hessler. He writes about China, non fiction.

And he is/was a runner! Some good bits about running in China in at least one of his books...

He is also a former Peace Corps Volunteer. I have read quite a bit of his stuff in the New Yorker.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jeremyp » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:26 am

Conor Dary wrote:
kuha wrote:

He is also a former Peace Corps Volunteer. I have read quite a bit of his stuff in the New Yorker.

Haven't got to the running bit yet. I knew about the Peace Corps. I was in it as well (Indonesia/Thailand), but was amazed that China, of all countries, would let them in.
jeremyp

Postby Friar » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:11 pm

I had a three musical autobio week. Lieber/Stoeller, Kooper, and the current best seller Life by Keith Richards.
My only answer as to why he's still alive to complete Life, is a sturdy gene pool/luck. The book was a bit different than I'd expected. A pleasing conversational style but nothing special in terms of content.
Friar

Postby IanS_Liv » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:17 pm

After the Ice, a history of the human race between 20,000BC and 5,000BC by Steven Mithen. It's a big hefty book, but if you're interested in prehistory, the beginnings of agriculture, etc, it's well worth a read. It draws together information from archaeological digs around the world about the development of the human race over those 15,000 years up until civilisation, writing and history begins.
IanS_Liv

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 am

gh wrote:ANY book by Bryson should be mandatory reading.

Just finished his new one, At Home. Like his other books, it's difficult to put down. the first chapter is about the Crystal Palace. As an amurkin, I had no idea it was a actual structure and not just a place for track meets.

Now I'm on to Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter which is my first book on my new Kindle.
Cooter Brown

Postby mike renfro » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 am

Just before the Xmas break, I read "Just Kids" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo". Both were pretty good. I was a Patti Smith fan back in the day, and the sad story of her and Maplethorpe was interesting. The Girl was well written for the genre and I will read the other two. The town of Stragnas, where some of the action takes place (suburb of Stockholm) is where my brother lives in the summer. Next up will be the current "Wheel of Time" volume. Hernia time :D
mike renfro

Postby gh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

I just read The Mother Tongue (English & How It Got That Way) by Bryson. For at least the third time. I picked it up to reference an obscure word and got hooked and ended up reading the whole thing. Bryson really is addictive.

Have now moved on to The Knife Man (Blood, Body Snatching, And The Birth Of Modern Surgery). It's a biography of renowned 18th-century pioneer John Hunter, by Wendy Moore. Only a couple of chapters in, but I'm hooked. Fascinating character, and Moore is really bringing him to life.
gh

Postby gh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

I may terminate that book early! A few more sections like the one I just endured on the era's procedure for lithotomies (removal of bladder stones)....

I thought I was reading A Dummy's Guide To The Inquisition, by Torquemada.

(and if you're thinking Al Swearengin's stone in Deadwood, you ain't even close!)
gh

Postby Cooter Brown » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 am

Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia.

It's a memoir that probably was never meant to be published. It was supposedly found in a trunk after Garcia had died. Garcia was a settler of Montana in the late 1800s. It's an unbelievably detailed first person account of pioneer life and a quickly disintegrating Indian culture. There's more adventure and tragedy in this book than pretty much any dozen westerns you could name. It may be up there with Blood Meridian as one of the greatest westerns ever written.
Cooter Brown

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 am

i only really read history books this year so far i've read

A biography of Julius Ceasar by Adrian Goldsworthy (really interesting one of those people you've always known but realise you don't really know anything about)

Biogrophy of Jean Harlow called Tarnished Angel by David Brett (one again really interesting but one of the worst written books i've ever read)

A novel called Heartstone by CJ Sandson it's a kind of detective story set in Tudor times

and She Wolves the stories of 4 women who rules england (somewhat tenuously) before the first official Queen Mary I and her better known sister Elizabeth I

next i've got biographies of Stalin to finish and then We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
mump boy

Postby lonewolf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Just finished a non-stop reading of the the Stieg Larsson trilogy..Girl With Dragoon Tattoo, Girl Who Played With Fire and Girl Who KIcked Hornets Nest.. riveting and ultimately satisfying stuff..
Question for the Swedish posters: Are the geographical and place references accurate or fictional?
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:34 am

lonewolf wrote:Just finished a non-stop reading of the the Stieg Larsson trilogy..Girl With Dragoon Tattoo, Girl Who Played With Fire and Girl Who KIcked Hornets Nest.. riveting and ultimately satisfying stuff..
Next try the movies, way more satisfying.
jeremyp

Postby Friar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Did the new bio's on Jim Thorpe, Karen Carpenter, Bobby Fischer. Big talents with a few problems.
Friar

Postby kuha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Right now? This minute?

"Ornithology" by Robert Ridgway, published in 1877 as part of the official Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel.

It's research for something else...but surprisingly (to me) interesting...
kuha

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:23 am

Ken Follett's new 1st volume of a projected trilogy, " Fall of Giants. " Period covered is 1911-1920.

Not exactly War and Peace, but entertaining light reading.

Last week I finished up Ron Chernow's biography of George Washington. First rate.
dukehjsteve

Postby mump boy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:48 am

Just finished Johnathon Franzen's Freedom which i enjoyed but found unconvincing, in the middle of Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, it's semi autobiographical, about a australian convicted bank robber who escaped and went to india to live in the slums of Bombay. Also reading biography of Lillian Gish
mump boy

Postby gh » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:54 am

52 Pickup. Every once in a while there's no better tonic than a vintage bit of Elmore Leonard. Speaking of Leonard, is there any author who can remotely compare with him in terms of number of books turned into movies?

(this one became a Roy Scheider/Ann-Margaret vehicle in '86)
gh

Postby Vielleicht » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:44 am

«Standard Korean Language, Book I»...y'all know what it's for...
Vielleicht

Postby 26mi235 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:57 pm

I finally read "Making of the Atomic Bomb" It was much more comprehensive than I had anticipated. It starts in the 1800s and weaves through a number of the scientists, in particular the sections with Bohr were interesting. (almost 900 large pages)

Now, on to another prize winner - the Rise of Theodore Roosevelt - and How to Pick a Peach.
26mi235

Postby Flumpy » Wed May 04, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm reading Devil's Knot by Mara Leveritt about the outrageous miscarriage of justice known as the case of the West Memphis Three.

The whole thing beggars belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three
Flumpy

Postby gh » Fri May 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Was so enamoured at the no-brainer-enjoyment of the last Elmore Leonard that I banged off two more, Swag and The Switch.

Still debating how cerebral to get for the long flight to Daegu and back next week (and some sleepless nights on the ground).

ps--this on Leonard from Wiki <<...Commended by critics for his gritty realism and strong dialogue, Leonard sometimes takes liberties with grammar in the interest of speeding along the story. In his essay "Elmore Leonard's Ten Rules of Writing" he says: "My most important rule is one that sums up the 10: If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." He also hints: "Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip."[5]...>>
gh

Postby Avante » Fri May 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Always have two books going on at the same time. One at work....breaks/lunch...and one beside the bed.

At work...A Flame of Pure Fire...by Roger Kahn.

It's about the trials, tribilations and times of boxer Jack Dempsey. The heavyweight Dempsey, there was another one. Great read!

Beside the bed...Christophe King of Haiti...by Herbert Cole.

Amazing story.
Avante

Postby AS » Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 pm

As I'm in NYC, I've been reading novels set here:

Currently: Siri Hustvedt's "What I Loved" (wow, her and hubby Paul Auster are a power couple of novel-writing!).
Just finished: Sam Lipsyte's "The Ask" and Jospeh O'Neill's "Netherland" (both impressive, but Hustvedt has upped the ante)

In non-fiction land, I finally got around to Matthew B. Crawford's "Shop Class as Soulcraft" (front half is captivating and convincing... but he gets a bit too repetitive after a while)
AS

Postby Flumpy » Sat May 07, 2011 2:52 pm

I also read Tab Hunter's autobiography.

I'm in love!!!
Flumpy

Postby DrJay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Law, no ones here done said nothin' 'bout "The Help" wrote by Kathryn Stockett? Da Help, it be good book! Hear tell gone be movie soon. If'in you be's from da South, o' even you's not, you gots to read Da Help. Make yo' eyes see things differnt ways, affer you done readin'.
DrJay

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:39 am

I'm on Game Of Thrones which is amazing and just bought the next 2 more to come. This could take a while :D
mump boy

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:24 am

Morbidly enough I'm reading 2 books on the Rape of Nanking. I've just seen a movie called: John Rabe, about a Nazi living in Nanking who helped save 1,2 hundred thousand Chinese from the Japanese. Knowing how movies expand the truth I like to read up on historical issues. In his case the story is largely true. The irony of a Nazi saving people from genocide intrigues me.
jeremyp

Postby Friar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I read Sammy Hagar's autobio. Eddie Van Halen isn't presented well in the narrative. Another genius musical talent on the brink...
Friar

Postby KDFINE » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I just finished reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson, which is primarily about the U.S. ambassador to Germany beginning in 1933 and his daughter. He'd been a history professor at the University of Chicago and didn't have diplomatic experience. I think that it is probably better than his previous best seller "Devil in the White City" because it is more compact, and given the time frames, is about an era most readers would be more familiar with. They are both great and readable books.

Now, in need of lighter fare, I'm reading "Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure - The True Story of a Great American Road Trip," by Matthew Algeo. I'd never heard of it, but spotted it during the last days of Borders Book Store.
KDFINE

Postby gh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 am

For some reason I slipped into re-read mode; sometimes the goldie-oldies on the shelf just look too enticing. Banged out Krakauer's Into Thin Air (shudder); now on Dr. Dean Edell's Eat, Drink & Be Merry.
gh

Postby mike renfro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Been awhile. I did finish the "Girl with...." series, and watched the movies. Pretty good stuff, for the genre. In the last week I ran through the latest Tanenbaum and Paterson books. One night reads (actually 1.5 for Tanenbaum). Right now, I am halfway through "Rebecca". Saw the Hitchcock movie, the novel (novella?) is pretty good. When we were up for our Ashland duty, I picked up a mystery book at a used book store in Jacksonville. The lead was "The Big Sleep". The Bogart movie was pretty true to the story (as was The Maltese Falcon"). They didn't futz around with the masters in the old days. There are storys by Sayers, Marsh usw. I haven't looked ahead, but it has given me more than $1.50 worth of pleasure. Hell, I even found Ulysses, so maybe I get some culture amidst the trash :D
mike renfro

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:15 am

I have been browsing vintage NGs..love the ads.

I have a complete (minus Oct 1928) collection of National Geographics, courtesy of my late mother-in-law, whose husband gave her a lifetime subscription as a wedding present in 1916.
I have been a subscriber since 1955 and she gave me her 1916-55 collection.
lonewolf

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have been browsing vintage NGs..love the ads.

I have a complete (minus Oct 1928) collection of National Geographics, courtesy of my late mother-in-law, whose husband gave her a lifetime subscription as a wedding present in 1916.
I have been a subscriber since 1955 and she gave me her 1916-55 collection.

Doesn't that large a collection have enough concentrated mass to form a black hole? :)
26mi235

PreviousNext