What are you reading now?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby Speedfirst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 am

The Revolt of The Black Athlete----Dr. Harry Edwards
Speedfirst

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:16 am

gh wrote:My paper just had a review on Richard Dawkins' latest work The Greatest Show On Earth, and it may well fit your evolution bill.

Thanks. I have stayed away from some of the polemical argument books because for me I am not interested in a book aimed primarily at a debate rather than in the somewhat educated, non-polemical reader. This sounds like it might fit the bill.
26mi235

Postby bambam » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:19 am

Just finished Superfreakonomics (not as good as Freakonomics) and What the Dog Saw - a new book by Malcolm Gladwell which is a compilation of his New Yorker columns. Pretty good, as he usually is.
bambam

Postby kuha » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:35 pm

That reminds me. I've been on a bit of binge lately (lots of reading time on planes) and have ripped through a stack of things, including:

Levitt & Dubner, "Freakonomics"
Arthur Goldwag, "Cults, Conspiracies, & Secret Societies"
Jeffrey McMillan, "Delightfulee: THe Life and Music of Lee Morgan"
Raymond Chandler, "The High Window"
Edward Larson, "Evolution: The Remarkable History of a Scientific Theory"
Rick Shenkman, "Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the American Voter"
David Byrne, "The Bicycle Diaries"
T. S. Eliot, "Selected Prose"
Tanenhaus, "The Death of Conservativism"
Paul Boghossian, "Fear of Knowledge: Against Relativism and Constructivism"
David Drake, "Sartre"
James Wood, "How Fiction Works"

There are about a dozen 10-foot stacks still to get to...
kuha

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:06 pm

kuha wrote:That reminds me. I've been on a bit of binge lately (lots of reading time on planes) and have ripped through a stack of things, including:

**way too many high-falutin' intelleckchul books**

There are about a dozen 10-foot stacks still to get to...

WTF are you doing HERE??!! :shock:
Marlow

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby jamese1045 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:26 pm

trig wrote:Okay, we had the thread on the number of hours read. But what exactly are you reading?

I am reading Rex Stout's "Death of a Doxy", a Nero Wolfe mystery and
the DK "World War I".

By the way, I had a good idea what it meant but I looked it up to be sure.

–noun . 1. an immoral woman; prostitute.
2. Archaic. a mistress.

[Origin: 1520–30; of obscure orig.]

James Lee Burke's THE RAIN GODS, William H. Holden's SACRAMENTO,; MIXED BLESSINGS (multicultural art) by Lucy Lippard. I won't say which one is the bathroom book. 8-)
jamese1045

Postby gh » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:18 am

Al2O32SiO22H2O

That's the formula for "perfect" clay, as expounded in
Clay
(The History & Evolution of Humankind's Relationship With Earth's Most Primal Element)

Actually far more interesting than it sounds, as it ranges far and wide into food preparation and storage, housing and architecture, etc., as well as just making pots.
gh

Postby bambam » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:45 am

gh wrote:Al2O32SiO22H2O

That's the formula for "perfect" clay, as expounded in

We knew that, Garry. Pretty obvious to us I would think.
bambam

Postby mike renfro » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:48 pm

The most recent book I finished was Joseph Kanon's "Stardust". Much better than his last effort. I have gotten way behind on my reading. Hell, I still have a half finished copy of Ulysses, which I picked up for something to read during my free time at the '01 worlds. I guess the novel is timeless, so it will keep.
mike renfro

Postby Helen S » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:16 am

Just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein- the life of a race car driver narrated by his dog, Enzo. Brought me to tears near the end.
Currently skimming through "Apeoples History fo the United States" by Howard Zinn. I never knew Chris Columbus was such a badguy.
Waiting in the wings- "Small Wonders" by Barbra Kingsolver- somehow missed this one amongst all of her others.
Helen S

Postby lonewolf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 am

Just about finished Allie Reynolds bio, starting on Abe Lemmons.
lonewolf

Postby mike renfro » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:02 pm

I finally started the lastest Robert Jordan (although finished up by another since RJ died). I picked that up in Oct. It is not very well written, but I like the story, so .....
mike renfro

Postby gh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:45 pm

as also posted on the Xmas Books thread:

<<I went the SciFi route, got the trilogy that's the prequel to Frank Herbert's awesome Dune series. Co-written by his son and a pro. Halfway through the first one (The Butlerian Jihad) and it's almost as good as dad himself could have done.>>

Since my original assessment, my praise for the book has gone way up. They're juggling about 6 threads at once, but they're handling it very well by keeping chapters to 3-4 pages, which means it's never too long before you've had a refresher on all the relevant bits.
gh

Now

Postby Bijan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Review copies of "Pops" by Terry Teachout, and "Martin Luther King" by Godfrey Hodgson, but not in that order. Can't wait to dig into the Armstrong bio.
Bijan

Postby lonewolf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Finally got around to the Abe Lemons bio.. He was funnier in person than in 287 pages of one-liners... the author did not include Abe's advice on coaching quarter milers but did mention Abe ran a 64 second quarter mile on Walters, OK mile relay team circa 1937.
I don't remember the context but my favorite quote from the book, "Doctors bury their mistakes, ours are still on scholarship". :)
lonewolf

Postby Mighty Favog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Bunion Derby: The 1928 Footrace Across America, which is the second book I have on the subject.

I just put in an order for Running: A Novel by Jean Echenoz, a fictionalized biography of Emil Zatopek. Originally in French, it's just been translated, and the excerpt in the current issue of Marathon & Beyond magazine was great.
Mighty Favog

Postby Pego » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:47 am

gh wrote:My paper just had a review on Richard Dawkins' latest work The Greatest Show On Earth, and it may well fit your evolution bill.

Lengthy review here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1A8NU9.DTL

Finished reading it a couple of days ago and I learned a lot. Highly recommended.
Pego

Postby DrJay » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:24 am

"The Dead Hand", by David Hoffman, about the last decade of the Cold War arms race. So far a good read.
DrJay

Postby kuha » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm

"Radical Enlightenment: Philosophy and the Making of Modernity, 1650-1750" by Jonathan I. Israel, an astonishingly deep and detailed study of--essentially--the intellectual and cultural ramifications of Spinoza's profound challenge to religious orthodoxy. It's 810 pages, but--for a certain kind of nerd--a veritable page-turner...
kuha

Postby gh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 am

The Lexicographer's Dilemma (the evolution of "proper" English, from Shakespeare to South Park) by Jack Lynch.

You don't have to be an editor to enjoy this one. If our mother tongue's history, and how dictionaries work, is of any interest, this is a great read.

(The coining of "ghoti" wasn't by George Bernard Shaw, by the way)
gh

Postby TN1965 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm

Lore of Running -- Dr. TIm Noakes.

I haven't finished yet, still have about 500 pages to go.
TN1965

Postby jhc68 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:50 am

Playing the Enemy by John Carlin... the book that formed the basis of the film Invictus. Fascinating stuff. The movie stayed on theme but the book is much deeper and more nuanced. Mandela actually maintains family friendships with some of his white jailers.

Then there is the fabulous, horrible, appallingly hilarious novel White Tiger by Arivind Adiga.
jhc68

Postby Double R Bar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 am

Just finished reading "Out Of Nowhere" (The Inside Story of How Nike Marketed the Culture of Running) by Geoff Hollister. It was ok, but not great. I couldn't believe how many errors I found in this book. I'm talking spelling, grammar, and some factual errors.
Double R Bar

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 am

The OED. I am now into the Qs. :D :D
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby kuha » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Conor Dary wrote:The OED. I am now into the Qs. :D :D

Yeah, but you started with "P"!

I just finished Richard Cook's "Blue Note Records: The Biography" (2001).
kuha

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Rummaging through a box of books inherited from my father. Found a nicely bound little tome, "The Campaign Speeches of James G. Blaine" c 1884, that he inherited from his father who must have obtained it from his father, possibly to take along for light reading when he "went West young man" to homestead in Western Kansas before before turning South to Oklahoma to homestead again when the Kiowa-Comanche reservation was opened for homesteading in 1902.

I skimmed a few speeches. Seems acrimony in politics is nothing new.

The book is in good but rather fragile condition. Although my great-grandfather's penciled signature, "his Book", is boldy enscribed on the front fly leaf, the book appears to be on loan from the Des Moines, Iowa Library, which is puzzling since my great-grandfather lived in NW Missouri, having migrated there from Kentucky. I am hesitant to return it. The late fees must be astronomical.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:04 am

lonewolf wrote:the book appears to be on loan from the Des Moines, Iowa Library, which is puzzling since my great-grandfather lived in NW Missouri, having migrated there from Kentucky. I am hesitant to return it. The late fees must be astronomical.

On the other hand, if they ever declared a temporary amnesty on late fees, as part of a campaign to get people to return books, you could be their poster boy. :)
tandfman

Postby gh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:49 am

Just finished The Children Of Húrin, a must-read for any hardcore Tolkien fan. It's credited to J.R.R, with editing by son Christopher.

If you've read The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales then you've seen less polished versions of this story, now all brought together in a finished format.

I've long thought that tale of Túrin would make a stunning—albeit unrelentingly bleak—movie. With a suitable Wagnerian score of course. (rated S: not to be watched by those with Suicidal tendencies)
gh

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Why, the Track & Field News website "Things Not T & F" forum on the message board, of course!

Seriously, just made a BIG mistake: As part of (read: only, in last 10 years) Spring Cleaning, I got the idea to re-file magazines and books.

Entire floor is covered with piles of said volumes, as I cannot go more than a few hours without stopping to re-read something.

Fool, fool, fool...!
Brian

Postby IanS_Liv » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Brian, I've often thought there should be a company that can provide the reorganisation and filing away for book fans. I'm reorganising one bookcase and there are still piles there a week later and I've got that much re-reading to do I'm not sure when exactly they're going to make it back onto the shelves. I don't have an impatient spouse to, er ... encourage me to hurry up.

gh, I've seen The Children of Hurin on the bookshelves of my local book shop and wondered whether it was worth buying. I haven't finished the Silmarillion yet and haven't read the Unfinished Tales, being rather a latecomer to the Tolkien world. Is it worth investing in? I had heard it had attracted criticism from the hardcore fans.
IanS_Liv

Postby gh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:56 am

Does "it" mean Unfinished Tales or Húrin?

In any case, none of the pre-Rings material has remotely the same tone. As with Silmarillion I find that all those early things read much more like scholarly tomes than entertainment fit for adult and child alike.

I'm not remotely a Tolkien-ologist, but I believe that a lot of the criticism of these works is from those who think that Christopher took too many liberties in competing dad's work. I've approached all of them (and have read multiple times) as merely being there for entertainment value, filling in earlier holes, and explaining some of the myths inside a myth that are so frequently referenced in Rings.

Put another way, I believe the critics are like wine snobs who are so busy putting down the new winemaker's interpretation on an old favorite that they've completely lost track of the fact that it's still many delicious mouthfuls to be consumed!
gh

Postby gh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:05 pm

something I'm going to have to pick up soon is The Big Short: Inside The Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball), even though I'll probably only understand about half of it.

This is a stunning look at the whole Wall Street collapse (and how morally bankrupt the system is).

60 Minutes devoted two episodes a couple of weeks back, links to both are in this URL

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/ ... ncol;lst;2

Or, for a shorter version (in far more amusing terms), you can catch his chat with Jon Stewart (go to the third white dot in the slider):

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod ... hael-lewis
gh

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:11 pm

IanS_Liv wrote:Brian, I've often thought there should be a company that can provide the reorganisation and filing away for book fans. I'm reorganising one bookcase and there are still piles there a week later and I've got that much re-reading to do I'm not sure when exactly they're going to make it back onto the shelves. I don't have an impatient spouse to, er ... encourage me to hurry up.

Neither do I. Right now, to me, this would be the best possible argument for the institution of marriage.

And since I seem to be doing my "Annual Spring Cleaning" in conjuction with the US Census, there may be stacks in various places for the next decade. Sigh.

Went to visit a friend of similar mind (T&F guy, avid reader) in Minneapolis during state hockey tournament a few weeks back, and mentioned I was re-doing my books and how doing so was taking a long time. Before I could finish, he said, "Let me guess, you're too busy re-reading them to put them away...?"

I felt better; it's good to have friends.

:]
Brian

Postby IanS_Liv » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 pm

gh wrote:Does "it" mean Unfinished Tales or Húrin?

I actually meant Hurin gh. Although I suppose the question could apply equally to Unfinished Tales as I've yet to buy that. And, having sampled several online 'fandoms' over the past few years, I completely agree with your views on the hardcore critics! I'm really asking whether you (or anyone else on the board) think they're good entertainment. Even if they're bleak.

Either way, they're going to have to wait as the Royal Shakespeare's own Complete Works complete with introduction, essays on each play and notes in the margin, plopped onto my doormat as a birthday present last week and I want to browse through that first.
IanS_Liv

Postby LopenUupunut » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 am

The simplest test is this. Most editions of Lord of the Rings have some 100 pages of appendices at the end. If you enjoy those as much as the actual story, you should definitely buy Unfinished Tales; then, having read Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, there's no reason not to do Húrin as well.
LopenUupunut

Postby gh » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:38 am

IanS_Liv wrote:
gh wrote:Does "it" mean Unfinished Tales or Húrin?

I actually meant Hurin gh. Although I suppose the question could apply equally to Unfinished Tales as I've yet to buy that. And, having sampled several online 'fandoms' over the past few years, I completely agree with your views on the hardcore critics! I'm really asking whether you (or anyone else on the board) think they're good entertainment. Even if they're bleak......

I've read Unfinished Tales three times. Next question? :-)
gh

Postby az2004 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:57 am

just finished tramps abroad by samuel clemens.....not as good as innocents abroad...but anyone who's been in heidelberg or switzerland would get a kick out of it
az2004

Postby IanS_Liv » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:24 am

gh wrote:I've read Unfinished Tales three times. Next question? :-)

What's the meaning of life? And why does the toast always fall butter side down?
IanS_Liv

Postby HiddenDepths » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am

Bill Bowerman and the men of Oregon.
HiddenDepths

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 am

IanS_Liv wrote: And why does the toast always fall butter side down?

That's easy. Because the butter adds slightly to the weight on that side of the bread so it pulls it down (if dropped high enough). Or because God hates you. I can't remember.
Brian

PreviousNext