15 movies you hope are on your next flight from Heathrow

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby tandfman » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:02 pm

A few of my all-time faves that I'd love to see again and that I don't think have previously been mentioned.

He Who Must Die (Dassin)
King of Hearts (de Broca)
The Maltese Falcon
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Horse's Mouth
tandfman

Postby Pego » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:37 am

tandfman wrote:A few of my all-time faves that I'd love to see again and that I don't think have previously been mentioned.

He Who Must Die (Dassin)
The Maltese Falcon
The Horse's Mouth

He Who Must Die ia a Kazantzakis' masterpiece, perhaps even more artistic than Zorba the Greek.
Pego

Postby mike renfro » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:27 pm

And "King of Hearts" is a really wonderful film. I saw it in a theater, years ago, probably at the New Varsity in Palo Alto. In the last year, I found that the library had a copy (can't remember video or DVD). The movie has legs. I was thinking about my list (did the title of the thread change?), but got sidetracked with EC and AC results. I'll think about it. At one time, my two favorite movies were single letter jobs, Z and M. A couple years ago, I rewatched Z. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. It was not nearly so gripping as when I saw it in the early '70s. About half way through, I realized that whoever put out the DVD had dubbed the damn thing. The original, with subtitles worked better for me.

As for going to Heathrow, I'm not sure I am ever going to fly again. It's not the fear of terrorism, it's that air travel quality has just gotten worse, and worse and I really have to steel myself to get on a plane. I've just about decided to bag Osaka, cause I just don't want to spend that much time on a plane, with no amenities. Maybe things will be better for Berlin '08. Doubt that the flight will, but it will be shorter.
mike renfro

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:33 pm

[quote="Pego"][quote="tandfman"]A few of my all-time faves that I'd love to see again and that I don't think have previously been mentioned.

The Maltese Falcon

Best line:

" This is coin of the realm. One dollar of it is worth ten dollars of talk. "
dukehjsteve

Postby tandfman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 am

Pego wrote:
tandfman wrote:A few of my all-time faves that I'd love to see again and that I don't think have previously been mentioned.

He Who Must Die (Dassin)
The Maltese Falcon
The Horse's Mouth

He Who Must Die ia a Kazantzakis' masterpiece, perhaps even more artistic than Zorba the Greek.

Jules Dassin has died at the age of 96.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/movie ... obituaries
tandfman

Postby tlb747 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:56 am

Friday, Dumb and Dumber, The Mask (Jim Carrey), Billy Madison, Jurassic Park, American History X, Sandlot, Rush hour, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Happy Feet, Dr. Seuss' The Grinch who stole Christmas (Jim Carrey), The Mighty Ducks, Happy Gilmore, Shanghai Noon, and Dr. Dolittle (Eddie Murphy).
tlb747

Postby racewalker » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:48 am

In no order:
1) Man on the Flying Trapeeze (W.C. Fields)
2) The Producers (w/ Zero Mostel)
3) Drunken Master/Legend of Drunken Master (Jackie Chan at his best)
4) Goodfellas
5) LOTR trilogy
6) Night of the Living Dead
7) Casablanca
8 ) The Haunting (1963 version)
9) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
10) Scarface

Guilty pleasure: Napolean Dynamite
racewalker

Postby tandfman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:37 am

I must say, at this point, the only thing that I really hope is on my next flight from Heathrow is my luggage. :)
tandfman

Postby EPelle » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:45 am

tandfman wrote:I must say, at this point, the only thing that I really hope is on my next flight from Heathrow is my luggage. :)

Quite serious! Kate Moss had six bags of eight not show up in LA about a week ago. Charge to T5: £10.000.

Heathrow T5 is a fantastic terminal with all the essentials -- seats -- if you:ve not yet had the pleasure of going through there. Even has a Starbucks.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:48 am

I know someone who flew through T5 the day it opened and still doesn't have his luggage.
tandfman

Postby dakota » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:51 am

paulthefan wrote:The Big Lebowski was a riot..

"No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of."
dakota

Re: 15 movies you hope are on your next flight from Heathrow

Postby gh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:59 am

If ever there was any doubt that Jeff Bridges IS the big lebowski

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j ... ff-bridges
gh

Re:

Postby kuha » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 am

tandfman wrote:Jules Dassin has died at the age of 96.

I just saw "Rififi" on Turner for the first time; a really interesting film.
kuha

Re: Re:

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

kuha wrote:
tandfman wrote:Jules Dassin has died at the age of 96.

I just saw "Rififi" on Turner for the first time; a really interesting film.

A classic film, especially the robbery with no sound at all.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby JaceyCarter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Few of them are:
Terminator 5
Fast and Furious 6
Iron Man 3
JaceyCarter

Postby KDFINE » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:59 pm

I put my 2 cents in on this topic in 2006. In re-thinking it, since this is off-season for most board topics - I guess I figure it should be movies that you can see on a plane. Its got to be a small screen movie. Its got to be a movie that you can pick up and enjoy if interrupted by anyone of the numerous interruptions experienced in flight, like loss of sound and picture when the captain comes on to tell you that turbulence is ahead and you'd better buckle up, or the food is being served. It should be a movie in an attractive locale. It should be a movie that you can enjoy cooped up on an airplane. It cannot be any film with subtitles. Any film with a plane crash or a plane in distress would automatically be barred from the list since it would never be shown on an airplane. Having explained my newfound criteria for this topic I haven't thought of any particular films, though Dirty Rotten Scoundrels would fit the bill.
KDFINE

Next