The Race Club - Olympic Swimming

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The Race Club - Olympic Swimming

Postby Darth Vader » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:59 pm

Hi so I wanted to get some expert opinions here.
I have always considered track events to be great individual sports. There are alot of track analogies on this swimming forum. I was wondering if you guys agree with what is being said...

Seriously I'm fascinated by this....

Much respect

http://www.theraceclub.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Questions for Coach Jake is a thread id love to get some input about as well as Weightlifting for Swimming
Darth Vader

Postby marknhj » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:31 pm

That really is quite fascinating. I'm in complete agreement with the coach and Gary Hall jr. I know nothing about swim training apart from reading that they all get up at 5am and swim 5 miles. Do they really train sprinters the same way as distance swimmers? If so that is ridiculous. It was interesting to read of Hall's use of boxing in his training - the 1980 100m. Olympic Champion, Allan Wells, used to do speedball workouts (Daisy trained up in Scotland so may be able to give more specifics). Thanks for the link.
marknhj

Postby Daisy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:45 pm

marknhj wrote:Olympic Champion, Allan Wells, used to do speedball workouts (Daisy trained up in Scotland so may be able to give more specifics). Thanks for the link.

It was very common for sprinters at Meadowbank to use the speed ball. They had one in the weights room. I could never get the hang of it, it is very tiring on the arms and needs a lot of coordination. I don't know the exact history but there is no doubt that Wells popularised it. Speed ball was always incorporated into the circuit training routines.
Daisy

Postby Darth Vader » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:36 pm

Im so glad you all checked it out. Definately validates the training opinions at The Race Club

thanks

dont be a stranger
Darth Vader

Postby El Toro » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:36 am

Re mark's comments

Swimming's premier sprint event, the 100m, takes 48-49s at international level. The equivalent distance on the track would be ~500m, hardly a pure sprint event and the 200m takes ~1:45 which is 800m territory.

To get the equivalent 10s timeframe of track sprinters, we'd be looking at around a 20m race, which would be nothing but a dive, some underwater kicking and then hitting the pad underwater - hardly a fascinating spectacle.
El Toro

Postby sjm1368 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:55 am

they can definately learn something from track coaches on how to train sprinters. But can track learn anything from swim training on how to train middle distance runners?

It's interesting to compare how different sports train athletes for events that last approximately the same time.
sjm1368