The Greatest Column In The History Of Sports Journalism

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The Greatest Column In The History Of Sports Journalism

Postby gh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:56 pm

gh

Postby bad hammy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:59 pm

Well, I don't know about the column, but I agree with his take on the game and the over-ventilated hyperbole.
bad hammy

Postby Daisy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:06 pm

Dripping with sarcasm, you have to love it.

"The postgame diarrhea from this may set the gold standard for ludicrous, outrageous statements."
Daisy

Postby MJD » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:11 pm

I barely follow NCAA football but it was impossible to avoid the pre or post game hype and I now know WAY too much about this particular game.
MJD

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:20 pm

Dang! I thought I enjoyed that game.
lonewolf

Postby bad hammy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:53 pm

lonewolf wrote:Dang! I thought I enjoyed that game.

I enjoyed the heck out of it, but the after-hype was way over the top.
bad hammy

Postby cullman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:05 pm

Got so sick of the pre-game hype and didn't watch the game. The post game hype makes me want to fo' up.
cullman

Postby twittering debutante » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:11 pm

I'm as cynical of pre-game hype as they come, but that truly was a great game.

Sometimes being the one sole post-game nattering nabob of negativism in the media is not worth the cheap laughs. It's easy to write negatively about things; much harder to write eloquently about what made the game great. The guy probably would have pissed on the Ali-Frazier fights too.

Anyone who watched that game and ended up with a bad taste in their mouth ought to be checked out for mouth cancer.
twittering debutante

Postby trackstar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:26 am

Ditto.

Okay, I'm mighty biased as anyone who has read my pro-Texas ravings on this board knows, but:

As someone who consciously tries to avoid hyperbole and tries to be a dignified, clear-thinking journalist, that really was the greatest football game I have ever seen. I'd say that if Texas had lost, too. I was saying to my friends watching the game during the fourth quarter before it ended, and the crazy finish simply solidified my stance. I've seen lots of hard-fought, action-packed, down-to-the-wire games (Nebraska-Miami back in that early-80s Orange Bowl, the famous San Diego-Miami playoff game, the Dwight Clark "the catch" game against the Cowboys), and that topped them all.
trackstar

Postby gh » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:29 am

I'd have to vote for Nebraska/Oklahoma of '71, and since I hate both schools (in a football sense), I'm completely free of bias there.
gh

Postby tafnut » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:35 am

gh wrote:I'd have to vote for Nebraska/Oklahoma of '71, and since I hate both schools (in a football sense), I'm completely free of bias there.

That WAS the greatest game ever (IMO), but this one was truly the Manila Ali-Frazier thrilla fight of college football. It was the Beamon, the DiMaggio, the Lance Armstrong, the . . . (insert further raving hyperbole here).

I'm with TwitDeb on this one - if you don't get why this was so good, you need a check-up from the neck up, cuz you ain't fogging no mirror, honey.
tafnut

Postby dj » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:07 am

I grew up "knowing" that the greatest college football game ever played was the 1946 Army-Notre Dame game at Yankee Stadium. Ended in a 0-0 tie (Yeah, I know, it sounds too much like a soccer score!).

Three one-time Heisman winners were on the field at the same time, the only time this has occurred. Doc Blanchard had won the tropy the year before, Glenn Davis would win it in '46, and Johnny Lujack would win in '47.

Lujack stopped a likely Blanchard TD run with a tackle which broke Blanchard's leg.

At least, that's how I remember hearing the stories. And I was never a college football fan. Nor am I that old.
dj

Postby tafnut » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:49 am

dj wrote:Nor am I that old.

Where's the obligatory :wink: ?
tafnut

Postby Ivy Dude » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 am

dj wrote:I grew up "knowing" that the greatest college football game ever played was the 1946 Army-Notre Dame game at Yankee Stadium.

Army? Notre Dame? Who cares?

DJ should know that the greatest college football game ever played was The Game of 1968. (For those of us of a certain education and a certain age "The Game" is the only reference needed.)

Two teams with a storied rivalry finished their season with The Game then, as now. In 1968, they both entered The Game undefeated. With less than four minutes to play, the home team was behind 29-13. The final score was 29-29. It simply doesn't get any better than that.

More details at http://www.nd.edu/~tmandell/harvard.html
Ivy Dude

Postby Pego » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:45 pm

gh wrote:I'd have to vote for Nebraska/Oklahoma of '71, and since I hate both schools (in a football sense), I'm completely free of bias there.

In the seventies they had bumper stickers in Lincoln "Will Rogers never met Barry Switzer" :lol:
Pego

Postby gh » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:47 pm

collegefootball.com has a 100-deep listing (don't know when they compiled it) and they call Miami/Nebraska of '84 as No. 1.

http://www.cfbnews.com/Top_100_Games/To ... _Intro.htm
gh

Postby cullman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:04 pm

twittering debutante wrote:...post-game nattering nabob of negativism in the media is not worth the cheap laughs.

I'm sure that the Texas/USC game will move near or to the top of the list. I'm just saying that I didn't watch the game because of the pundit's pre-game propegandic prosthelitizing. :) Oh well, it's my loss but then again I didn't get to see my beloved baseball beantowners banish the Bambino's bane.

Those same pre-digested pabulum pushers raised Vince Young to god-like status and 24 hours later are criticizing his throwing motion. Why don't they criticize Jim Furyk's golf swing or Peyton Manning's sub-par performance in the NFL combines during his rookie season. Manning was considered one of the least talented QB's after the combines...bit I digress.

I guess I'm on your side TD...except for the cheap laughs part.

cman :D
cullman

Sent to columnist

Postby BillVol » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:42 pm

I sent that column to Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Urinal-Constipation, as well call it. Because, sure enough, he had a column in which he wrote: "I have a new order [of greatest games of all time]. The 2006 Rose Bowl stands at the top." Column was titled: "Ever Seen A Better Game?" On the continuation of the column inside the paper, the second headline read: "Bradley: We just witnessed best college game ever played."

I enjoyed having this column to fire back to Mr. Smarty Pants, Mark Bradley. Hope he feels silly now.
BillVol

Postby gh » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Why would he take seriously something printed by the San Francisco Comicle? (Our other local dissing is the San Jose Murky-News)
gh

Postby bad hammy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:49 pm

gh wrote: . . . the San Francisco Comicle?

I thought it was the Comical??
bad hammy

Postby gh » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:11 pm

All depends how much you want to make the pun differ from the spelling of the original (both sound the same).
gh

Postby hammer forever » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm

in that link to the story on "The Game" it says that the athlete Champi, "2 games into his senior season, quit football to concentrate on track!"
So maybe THAT is why it counts as a "greatest game"- got an athlete back into our sport!
hammer forever

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Definitely the best game. I remember that game well. Johnny Rodgers, etc. Also the announcers were two of the best ever: Chris Schenkel and Bud Wilkinson.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.