Vince Young has earned a thread or two!

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Vince Young has earned a thread or two!

Postby paulthefan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:57 am

Well I didnt stay up to watch the second half of the rose bowl but from what I have read Vince Young was everything that Coach Brown ever expected or predicted. Simply marvelous. I can not remember a championship game ever (and I mean ever, please help me of you can recall one) being so completely dominated by the will and talent of one man. He is a mega talent with the heart of a lion. I knew when he beat OSU that this kid was tough as nails.. but this has taken it to a whole new level of greatness.

It must have felt good for him to go out there and open such a pungent can of whoop ass on the two Heisman trophy winners... Im rambling but it sure makes the timeing of the Heisman event/award seem inadequate.

I guess we could go off in any number of directions but he is obviously the greatest decathalon talent that has ever lived... and yes even I have to admit that finaly there is someone that Jim Thorpe seems small next to.... sorry to offend but this is my Vince Young tribute.
paulthefan

Re: Vince Young has earned a thread or two!

Postby slowcoach » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:40 am

paulthefan wrote:...but he is obviously the greatest decathalon talent that has ever lived...

A wee bit OTT?

How many Decathlons has he completed, won, etc?

A great performance indeed, but how high will he go? (No, not in the PV; in the draft)
slowcoach

Postby paulthefan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:24 am

I think he will be first.... If the Texans have any sense they will dump their current prospect and grab Vince.
paulthefan

Postby dj » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:31 am

paulthefan wrote:I think he will be first.... If the Texans have any sense they will dump their current prospect and grab Vince.

That would make sense, but Vince first has to decide to forego his senior year and turn pro.
dj

Postby tafnut » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:21 am

paulthefan wrote:I think he will be first.... If the Texans have any sense they will dump their current prospect and grab Vince.

I can't see him as a pro quarterback, only because of his sidearm delivery. Pro lineman go 6'6 and higher, and he will get too many balls batted down. As a pure receiver? Running back/receiver-coming out-of-the-backfield? Reggie B and Matt L will probably still go 1-2.
tafnut

Postby gh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:46 am

<<8:40 -- Let's be honest -- there's no way Vince can succeed in the NFL with that throwing motion. It's impossible. It can't happen. I'm telling you. There has never been a successful NFL quarterback who threw like that. And by "that," I mean, "throws like someone who just realized they have dog poop on their hand and is trying to fling it off.">>

Part of a great recap of last night by Bill Simmons of ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/060105
gh

Postby EPelle » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:51 am

Same thing about two funny runner-types with interesting styles - one a quadruple world-record holder, the other a bongo king.
EPelle

Postby trackstar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:27 pm

tafnut wrote:I can't see him as a pro quarterback, only because of his sidearm delivery. Pro lineman go 6'6 and higher, and he will get too many balls batted down.

Worked pretty well for Ken Stabler. Granted, Stabler finished his career with more interceptions than touchdowns, but that's partly because he played for several years past his expiration date.
trackstar

Postby az2004 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:28 pm

actullay I ehar mel kiper this morning say leinart and young are 1 and 1a in the draft sweepstakes...

I'd think nawlins will prefer young personally....

leinart lost some money as he would have been the clear #1 last eyar, and now he's #3 a best...

also, he's lost ONE year of earning power.....

no 2nd heisman ...

no 3rd championship...

less bucks in the bank....
az2004

Postby trackstar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:28 pm

BTW-did Young do t&f in high school? Anybody know his stats? If so, I assume he didn't get to the top level because I don't remember seeing him at the state meet.
trackstar

Postby fieldguy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:57 pm

always thought michael vick did more to drive his team than anyone in recent college football history until i saw vince young last night. vick was incredible, but va tech lost to fsu in title game. i mean, it would have to be a scrambling quarterback for purposes of comparison i think. no one else in football, the ultimate team sport, has so much opportunity. i think of way back to staubach at navy, which also lost the de facto title game when he was a junior, but this is very unusual in football. more often it's basketball where one player can have a huge impact -- bird at indiana state, top example. cedric maxwell at unc-charlotte. maybe even szczerbiak at miami of ohio. how far back do you go historically to find a better performance than vince young-- red grange? i am serious.
fieldguy

Postby trackstar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:10 pm

fieldguy wrote: i think of way back to staubach at navy, which also lost the de facto title game when he was a junior

To Texas, in fact! Ironic that Staubach later became one of the biggest heroes in all of Texas sports. My boyhood idol.
trackstar

Postby KevinM » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:21 pm

fieldguy wrote: how far back do you go historically to find a better performance than vince young-- red grange? i am serious.

Danny Manning in 1988 perhaps?
KevinM

vinces' throwing motion

Postby terry_brooks35@yahoo.com » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:09 am

Vince throws just fine.Vince was 30 of 40 in the national championship game.The d. linemen in the NFL are no bigger than they are in college(they don't go to the NFL and grow taller) besides,Vince is at least 6'5".Vince led the nation in throwing percentage.It doesn't matter if he were to throw underhanded,he wins.Thats what the NFL wants,and please believe that he will be drafted very highly (1,2 or 3) if he chooses to come out.
terry_brooks35@yahoo.com

Postby az2004 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:44 am

well the big 12 was very down this year, even oklahoma was a poor oklahoma...

so, young had all day to sit and pass....

nfl game is totally different....

I suspect young will be a dante culpepper quality qb, as that's who he reminds he off more...

young is no where as quick as vick, although young is a better pure passer than vick was in college
az2004