Texas - National Champs!


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Texas - National Champs!

Postby BillVol » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Take a bow, Trackstar!

We were pulling for you! What a game!

HOOK 'EM!

(Trackstar, what is the most popular Texas message board?)
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:25 pm

Yeah, what a game! I have dual citizenship, by birth and residence, in Texas and Oklahoma. Contributes to mixed emotions in October but I had no problem cheering for Texas to preserve Oklahoma's 47 game winning streak.
And, IMHO, I thought Texas deserved to win. My completely unbiased conclusion is that USC, on balance, got the benefit of a preponderance of the eviewed plays.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby guru » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:37 am

lonewolf wrote: My completely unbiased conclusion is that USC, on balance, got the benefit of a preponderance of the eviewed plays.


lol, I'm sure USC feels they were screwed by two plays that weren't reviewed, but should have been: When Young's knee was down before he pitched the ball for a touchdown in the first half, and the apparent fumble after a catch in the second half that was ruled incomplete(no review again). But from my seat, it appeared what they did review they got right.

Both teams had their share of bonehead plays, but the real momentum shift happened after Bush's ill-conceived lateral attempt. It really turned the tide after Texas' fumble following USC's first punt, and Bush was never the same after that. Carroll's idiotic decision to go for it on fourth down at the end of the 4th quarter sealed their fate. They deserved to lose.
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Postby tafnut » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:49 am

guru wrote: They deserved to lose.


The only reason they 'deserved' to lose was because time ran out. Don't you get the impression that they would have retaken the lead, if they had more time? (And of course, then Texas would have scored again, and so on)
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:13 am

will any members of the defense :shock: in this offensive game be asked to play pro ball??? :x
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:30 am

Both teams has superb athletes on defense, but we were looking at two of the scariest offenses in college football history. Young should have won the Heisman!!!
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby utkvol80 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:55 am

tafnut wrote:Young should have won the Heisman!!!


You are exactly right, Tafnut! Young should have the Heisman; I believe he has more composure than most professional quarterbacks, except Payton Manning. I hope he sticks around for another year, but he'll probably go pro, but who can blame him!
utkvol80
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby lilwayne1814 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:53 am

Vincent was a true phenom last night. The best single performance I have seen in college football by a player. The lineman and the defense stepped up at the right time. Texas was considered a David to USC's Goliath. It was exciting from start to finish. I was ribbed alot during the game from my colleagues around the country (through text message) but somehow after the last td by Vince and the Longhorns, my phone was silent. Hmmm...Although I finished school a decade ago, I felt like a student again...Hook em Horns

btw: I have heard more than once about Vince's knee down and the td should have been called back. How soon SC fans forget without the illegal play against ND, SC may not have been in the Rose Bowl to begin with.
lilwayne1814
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby trackstar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:19 pm

guru wrote:Carroll's idiotic decision to go for it on fourth down at the end of the 4th quarter sealed their fate. They deserved to lose.


I completely disagree -- Carroll's decision was not the least bit idiotic. I'd have made exactly the same call. Think about it: The most dangerous thing for USC is Vince Young with the ball in his hands. If you punt, then VY is guaranteed to get the ball. If you go for it, maybe he gets the ball, or maybe LenDale White gets you a first down and the game is over. Given the way White had been stomping all over us all night, it was an extremely rational call. I would have bet $50 that White would get the 1st. It was the right call, but the wrong execution. In fact, it could have very easily gone USC's way: I just read that Texas' defensive coach called for a scheme that would have sent DE (and Big 12 shot put champion) Brian Robison between the the TE and T. Instead, Robison decided to just disobey him and stunted into the middle. Had Robison done what he was told LenDale might be the game MVP this morning.

Lilwayne: You're absolutely right -- I don't want to hear any whining from USC fans about "luck." That ND game was the luckiest thing I've ever seen. Any team that wins a national championship is going to get a few lucky breaks.

Nor do I want to hear any whining about reviews -- maybe Young's knee was down, but we'd likely have scored on that drive anyway, and just a few plays later we had an interception taken away from us because of a failure to review, so that evened things out.

BillVol-Thanks! Sorry, I have no idea about popular Texas message boards. This is just about the only board I post on.
Last edited by trackstar on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
trackstar
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby az2004 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:26 pm

biggest question is how it took 35 years for texas to win a title...

1970, good ole richard nixon proclaimed the texas-arkansas winner as the champ, ignoring an undefeated penn state team, whose roster, if you look at what it did in the nfl, was clearly superior to the horns..

and back then, joepa was a coach who really coached, not the figur ehad he is currently
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:59 pm

The biggest problem with UT winning is that it proves the point that an $80 million athletic department budget with most money aimed at FB DOES win championships. Here come the minor sport cuts...
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin

Postby trackstar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:16 am

Cooter Brown wrote:The biggest problem with UT winning is that it proves the point that an $80 million athletic department budget with most money aimed at FB DOES win championships. Here come the minor sport cuts...


I'm afraid you're wrong, especially if you're talking about UT. Football and basketball subsidize all the other college sports. If it weren't for the money made by UT football, UT track wouldn't have the nice facilities and good coaches that we do, the swimming program wouldn't exist, etc. Minor sports get cut at small schools that don't have that kind of revenue. Sad fact of life, but true -- if you enjoy the exciting NCAA t&f championships every year, thank a college football player.
trackstar
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby terry_brooks35@yahoo.com » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:19 am

two things.Jamal Charles didn't fumble the ball.When the play is reviewed in slow motion it appears to be a reception,but real time shows otherwise.Lee is right when he states that UT would have scored anyway had the touchdown been taken away(when vinces knee was down).
terry_brooks35@yahoo.com
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:17 am

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:43 am

trackstar wrote:
Cooter Brown wrote:The biggest problem with UT winning is that it proves the point that an $80 million athletic department budget with most money aimed at FB DOES win championships. Here come the minor sport cuts...


I'm afraid you're wrong, especially if you're talking about UT. Football and basketball subsidize all the other college sports. If it weren't for the money made by UT football, UT track wouldn't have the nice facilities and good coaches that we do, the swimming program wouldn't exist, etc. Minor sports get cut at small schools that don't have that kind of revenue. Sad fact of life, but true -- if you enjoy the exciting NCAA t&f championships every year, thank a college football player.


Wasn't talking about UT or other big schools. It's all the wannabes at the bottom looking for an excuse to pour more money into football. They'll all go to their administration say "see, money does solve everything."
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests