Football speed.....Reggie Bush

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Football speed.....Reggie Bush

Postby Brutal » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:40 am

The first lightnin' fast NFLer was diminutive Buddy Young, an NCAA sprint champ out of Illinois in the 40's. Then there was Bob Boyd another NCAA sprint champ out of Loyola and Olympic 400 man Ollie Matson from SF. Boyd and Matson in the 50's. Since then the list of fast NFLers has been a long one. No not in a longggggggggggggggg list mood today. I will say until Reggie Bush the fastest NCAAer on a footbal field I had ever seen was Rocket Ismail while at ND.

Football speed is different than track speed. Hell just look at that other speedy Trojan back just before Bush, Sultan McCullough of that 10.17 speed. In a sprint he'd blow Bush away. So where is he today?

Reggie Bush is a 10.4 guy, yet with a football under his arm he is as fast as any back I've ever seen. The fastest running back of all time was Curtis Dickey a 10.11 guy and world ranked while at Texas A&M. I guess a case could be made that Bob Hayes was the fastest back ever. Yep a running back not receiver at Florida A&M. Dickey did play the position in the NFL, Hayes didn't.

It's that abilty to get to full speed quickly and being able to maneuver while running fast that seperates the Reggie Bushs from the Sultan McCulloughs.
Last edited by Brutal on Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brutal

Postby jhc68 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:43 am

So, Brutal, is Reggie faster on the field than OJ was? I recall an SC/ND game at South Bend when SC sent OJ on a sweep to the open side of the field (they always ran the sweep to the short side in those days) and OJ was so that all he did was run... no one came even close to touching him.
jhc68

Postby Brutal » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:48 am

jhc68 wrote:So, Brutal, is Reggie faster on the field than OJ was? I recall an SC/ND game at South Bend when SC sent OJ on a sweep to the open side of the field (they always ran the sweep to the short side in those days) and OJ was so that all he did was run... no one came even close to touching him.

I first saw OJ run while he wa still at SFCC. If ya recall he was on that WR 4X1 USC team. A 9.4 guy!

Reggie Bush gets in gear faster than OJ. I don't think he has the "sustained" speed of some of the sprinter backs. Then again how often do we see 75 yard runs? I've never seen anyone "explode" like Bush does.
Brutal

Postby gh » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:41 am

I think I have to go w/ Napoleon Kaufman as fastest off the line I've ever seen. What amazes me about Bush is his ability (and I hyperbolize) to run as fast sideways as he does straight ahead, and his ability to change directions with no apparent loss of speed.
gh

Postby Jefferson Buffalo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:48 am

gh wrote: What amazes me about Bush is his ability (and I hyperbolize) to run as fast sideways as he does straight ahead, and his ability to change directions with no apparent loss of speed.

Are you talking about Reggie or George W? :)
Jefferson Buffalo