Most Influential People: 2005

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Most Influential People: 2005

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:34 pm

Who were 2005:s most influential people based on these categories (and perhaps others that you come up with)?

Most influential (not most recognised)...

:: Track & Field Athlete
:: Sports Star
:: Politician
:: Person you:ve come across
:: Actor
EPelle

Postby slowcoach » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:34 am

T&F athlete: My own two sons. Got me going to track meets and XC meets I wouldn't normally. Ciarán (18) ran sprints last summer, switched to middle distance in September and ran a 4:44 mile on Christmas Day (entirely solo). Not a bad progression.

Sports star: Alistair Cragg (new hope for the Irish future)

Politician: Our own Minister for Health, Mary Harney. Probably the least apt appointment to that post ever, in any country. I'd better leave it at that. Pic:

Person I've come across: John Murray, PhD. One of my Maths teachers in NUIM. I've changed my attitude towards learning and exams over the years. His influence has cemented it.

http://www.maths.may.ie/staff/jmurray/jmpage.htm

Actor: Jim Caviezel
slowcoach

Postby big mac » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:30 am

:: Track & Field Athlete - Jeremy Warriner and Adam Nelson, shared. Warriner for proving white men can sprint. Nelson for inspiring leagues of teenagers to copy his spin style and keeping the chiropractors happy.

:: Sports Star- David Beckham, for turning nearly all males into metrosexuals this year. There are now two types of men, those who wear pink polo shirts and those who don't.

:: Politician- AHNULD, HU GIVES A DAM ABOUT ZE DEFICIT, PROVVVIDING THE GIRLY MEN CAHNT MAHRY, ZE PEPAL VIL LOVE ME.

:: Person you:ve come across- Too many to mention, my training partners and coaches for giving me a passion for what I do.
:
: Actor- Bob Geldorf- yeah right. Honestly, my vote goes to Sharon Stone for sparking the half gallon of water a day and don't eat after 7pm diet used to get middle age women into bikinis so they can emmulate Demi Moore and pick up good looking, younger men. Either that or stop their husbands from going after good looking, younger women. So Sharon Stone and Demi Moore. Honorable mention to King Kong for being such a badass.
big mac

Re: Most Influential People: 2005

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:48 am

for this year?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:15 am

EPelle wrote:Who were 2005:s most influential people based on these categories (and perhaps others that you come up with)?

Most influential (not most recognised)...

track- no contest- Carolina Kluft! imagine, its easy if you try. no obnoxious track stars and everyone living as Kluft!

sports stars- who in the sports world right now IS influential? no jordon's, no montana's. ok tiger woods.

politican- has to be george walker bush. love em or hate him he's influencing the world.

person- tafnut. he is the one making me post so much. its not my fault people.

actor- king kong. i wanna be stong but gentle like him. and those pec's!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby big mac » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:01 am

Kluft is gorgeous. If only Astrid Kumbernuss was 18 years old and living down under. I'd ask her out in a second and we'd start a race of UBER- children. I'm way too tired to be posting on a messageboard. CIAO
big mac

Postby tafnut » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:23 am

SQUACKEE wrote:person- tafnut. he is the one making me post so much. its not my fault people.

Dang - I was just trying to keep up with you! 8)
tafnut

Postby mojo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:39 am

T&F athlete- Yelena Isinbayeva- she lit up any stadium she was in and raised expectations of where women's PV can go

Sports Star- I don't really follow any other sport so no clue.

Politician- sadly I have to go with Bush.

Person who've come across- have to say my husband. He teaches me every day about interigty, kindness and patience. 8) Then squackee , who makes me laugh and feel good about my spelling. :P
Oh yes I have to mention one of the little guys I coach (9 years old) who said to me "coach mojo -there is no where else on earth I want to be but at the track". hear hear!

Actor: Oh Tom Cruise definately. I hear there has been a rush on the sales of utlrasound machines and new couches. :roll:
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:25 pm

mojo wrote:Person who've come across- have to say my husband. He teaches me every day about interigty, kindness and patience. 8)

So you're in a spot of trouble on the home front and you know the DH reads this stuff so you are softening him up??? There must be some explanation for this syrupy post. :wink:
bad hammy

Postby mojo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:13 pm

bad hammy wrote:
mojo wrote: There must be some explanation for this syrupy post. :wink:

I'll never tell but there has to be a sap on every board. :lol:
mojo

Postby twittering debutante » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:01 pm

Track & Field Athlete --Ben Comen and Kathy Ormsby. My students have learned through them to not be so judgmental of others.

Sports Star--Terrell Owens, but for all the wrong reasons.

Politician--none, although I enjoyed the article about Tony Blair spending $1300 a year for make-up.

Person you've come across--Patti Smith in concert. I enjoy her artistry.

Actor--anything with Jennifer Connelly and I'm there.
twittering debutante

Postby mrbowie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:21 pm

Track & Field Athlete -- Marion Jones, as she taught me that when it
comes to judging character, I am a useless tit.
:: Sports Star -- Afleet Alex, because he is all action and no words.
:: Politician -- Joe Biden, because he's got balls and brains
:: Person you:ve come across -- Bill Clinton. He's got the hands of an
NBA forward and undeniable charisma
:: Actor -- Ashley Judd, brains and beauty
mrbowie

Postby utkvol80 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:58 pm

Track and Field Athlete: EL G for essentially acknowledging being burned out and sitting out the 2005 season, hope to see him return!

Sports Star: Lance Armstrong for winning 7th Tour de France, the toughest endurance contest

Politician: VP Dick Cheney for masterminding the restoration of full and unrestrained power to the Executive Branch

Person You Have Come Across: My best friend-my ex-wife

Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal for playing seemingly contradictory, but strikingly similar, male roles in Jarhead and Brokeback Mountain

Actress: Ziyi Zhang for her performances in 2046 and Memoirs of a Geisha; she's simply hot!

Musician: Neil Young, his latest CD, Praire Wind, maybe his best

PS: Happy New Year Everyone!
utkvol80

Postby Daisy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Paula Radcliffe, a perfect role model in the one event that appeals to the masses.

Ray Allen (basketball) nice guys can succeed.

I try not to think about what they do.

Any young kid who is excited by something. They always open my eyes to what is around me.

Who cares.
Daisy

Postby EPelle » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:46 am

Kajsa Bergqvist :: Track & Field Athlete

Carolina Klüft :: Sports Star

(None) :: Politician

Asylum citizen from Russia/Israel :: Person you:ve come across

Mikael Persbrandt & Peter Haber :: Actor(s)
EPelle