the inevitable question.... USC or Texas?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

the inevitable question.... USC or Texas?

Postby jhc68 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:29 pm

Can either defense stop the other offense?

Can Texas stop Bush and White and their blockers from running rampant?

Can the speed of Texas defenders keep Bush from gamebreaking runs?

Are Texas special teams so much better than USC's that they will turn the game?

Can USC stop Young on the option?

Who can cross the goal line most often?

Has either team faced an opponent of this caliber?

Who will benefit from a wet field?

How come I haven't even mentioned players as great as Leinart , Jarrett and the Texas receiving corps?

Who cares? And why will so many of us who think we don't care much watch the whole damn game?
jhc68

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:38 pm

As an old Pac-8er, I want SC to win, but they struggled so badly with ND, I'm afraid UT will overpower them. This sure reminds me of the Game of the (Last) Century - Neb-Okla 71. Neb couldn't stop OK's wishbone, but OK's defense was slightly weaker than Neb's, and defense wins these games, so I'll have to pick Texas in this one.

Tex 38 - USC 34

Leinart will get his 300 yds, Bush will get his 100+, but the Longhorns will outslug them. And yes, I'll be glued to the TV set that night!
tafnut

Postby jhc68 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm leaning your way, Taf. USC's defense only looks strong when other teams are forced to play in a desparate catch-up mode. And if a team is skilled and the QB makes the right decisions it is nearly impossible to stop an option offense. Smarts and skillful execution can enable an option team to beat superior talent. Maybe the question is, how smart and poised is Young? He'll need to be effective, I think it may take more than your postulated 34 pts to beat SC, but Fresno State almost did it!

Of course, now that I have leaned toward UT, the Trojans will most likely eviscerate Texas the way they did OK last year!
jhc68