Why Do I Continue Being Surprised?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Why Do I Continue Being Surprised?

Postby EPelle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:51 am

Sportsline wrote:Millwood signs five-year, $60M deal with Rangers.

Over-rated, and way over-payed. But who is really listening? (And does anyone really give a hoot?).
EPelle

Re: Why Do I Continue Being Surprised?

Postby wineturtle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:23 pm

EPelle wrote:

Over-rated, and way over-payed. But who is really listening? (And does anyone really give a hoot?).
MSG Suits hit another header into the crowd.Is he a forward or a wing,never heard of him what part of Canada does he come from?
wineturtle

Postby az2004 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:36 pm

texas...rangers...

best era in the american league and given the total lack of quality pitching, the supply/demand curve says almost good pitchers get paid well...

millwood lost 20 lbs from 2004 to 2005, which was largely fat as he was a beached whale most of 2004
az2004

Postby Daisy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:46 pm

az2004 wrote:texas...rangers...

Ahh now I get it. I was thinking glasgow rangers.
az2004 wrote:best era in the american league and given the total lack of quality pitching, the supply/demand curve says almost good pitchers get paid well...

Same for Hudson, he pitched great for the A's but had a ton of no decisions.
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:47 pm

EPelle wrote:

you cant help but be constantly surprised because the $ gets bigger and bigger.

its their money, so i try not to care. dont go to games so its not my money. as a track fan we know its the same as a 4:02 miler getting 60 million dollars!!!!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby az2004 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 pm

well wait till 2007 when the cap in the nfl goes away...

ya thought things were crazy with t.o. this year, wait a couple when some crazy owners like jerry jones can buy whomever they wish...

and speaking of jerry jones and t.o., wouldn't it be awfully entertaining if they got together...

no wonder parcells is conremplating retirement.....
az2004

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:08 pm

az2004 wrote:well wait till 2007 when the cap in the nfl goes away...

ya thought things were crazy with t.o. this year, wait a couple when some crazy owners like jerry jones can buy whomever they wish...

and speaking of jerry jones and t.o., wouldn't it be awfully entertaining if they got together...

no wonder parcells is conremplating retirement.....

the football staduim not withstanding-there is no WAY texas is big enough for Jones and T.O.'s ego's. NO WAY!
SQUACKEE

Postby maggot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:19 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:its their money, so i try not to care. dont go to games so its not my money.

In almost every large metropolitan area, it is everybody's money since almost every team has blackmailed the governments into building them a new palace with taxpayer funds. In Maricopa County Arizona (Phoenix), "our" baseball stadium was built with a 1/4 cent sales tax which was IMPOSED upon us by the county commissioners.
maggot

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:55 pm

maggot wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:its their money, so i try not to care. dont go to games so its not my money.

In almost every large metropolitan area, it is everybody's money since almost every team has blackmailed the governments into building them a new palace with taxpayer funds. In Maricopa County Arizona (Phoenix), "our" baseball stadium was built with a 1/4 cent sales tax which was IMPOSED upon us by the county commissioners.

blackmailed huh? sounds sinister. i would have happily helped pay for the new san francisco stadium. the best in the world! but to pitch in for a guy who bats 250 and wants 700 million dollars i would not do unless i was ( add scary music) BLACKMAILED! :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Postby maggot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:13 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:[
blackmailed huh? sounds sinister. i would have happily helped pay for the new san francisco stadium. the best in the world! but to pitch in for a guy who bats 250 and wants 700 million dollars i would not do unless i was ( add scary music) BLACKMAILED! :twisted:

I think that the San Francisco baseball stadium was built with private money. It seems to me that if more cities said no stadium with tax dollars, the teams would build them themselves.
maggot

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:01 am

Twelve million dollars a year. Five years. Who needs this kind of money?

What would happen if athletics became more of a league with trades and salary arbitrations, and athletes like Tariku Bekele (for the sake of argument - not even the fastest in his family) arbitrated - and/or was traded - for 12M-USD/year to cover 2006-2010?
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:48 am

EPelle wrote:What would happen if athletics became more of a league with trades and salary arbitrations, and athletes like Tariku Bekele (for the sake of argument - not even the fastest in his family) arbitrated - and/or was traded - for 12M-USD/year to cover 2006-2010?

You might as well ask what would happen if the sun shined every day, the temperature always ranged between 15 and 25C, and there was peace in the Middle East. If you're going to conjure up paradise, why not go all the way!
tandfman