The Chronicles of Narnia

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The Chronicles of Narnia

Postby big mac » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:16 am

What were your thoughts on the movie?
I'll post mine when I wake up tomorrow. Any talk on religious imagery greatly appreciated. The chief NZ TV reviewer says she saw barely any religious imagery, I disagree.

The big MAC rating... 8/10

Not as good as LOTR, but well worth watching and 20 times better than the Goblet of fire!
big mac

Postby utkvol80 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:55 am

I may go see Narnia Friday, so I will let you know what I think; I am interested in seeing how much it stays with the book. But King Kong or Geisha may change my mind. :D
utkvol80

Postby gh » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:54 am

I note from an Xmas gifting this year that if you buy the box set of the books that what used to be No. 6 (The Magician's Nephew) is now listed as No. 1, even though it was written 5 years later than Lion, Witch... And it comes with a note that "this is how C.S. Lewis" wanted them read, since it's a bit of a prequel.
gh

Postby tafnut » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:15 am

The world famous "75-word Reviewer" said:

"Perhaps it’s unfair to compare this to The Lord of the Rings, but it brings it upon itself with so many not-so-coincidently identical scenes. Although this film falls far short, in fairness, this is a kids’ movie, which LotR was not. I don’t see the purported spiritual allegory, as the violence (albeit bloodless) and killing is brought about just as much by the ‘good guys’ as the bad. I simply left perplexed at its purpose."
tafnut

Postby big mac » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:17 pm

Imagery I saw...

Battle between Good and evil, with the foreknowledge that good will triumph. This is very similar to the biblical of God and Satan battling it out with Satan coming off second best.

Aslan sacrificing himself in place of a guilty boy even though Aslan himself had done no wrong - Jesus giving his life for the believers.

"Judas Iscariot" (I forget the black haired boys name) betraying Aslan which eventually leads to his death by the white witch. Aslans last moments are also perhaps a very similar time to Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane.

Two women crying on Aslans feet after his death, which I am sure is meant to show Mary and Mary Magdalene at Jesus feet and tomb before his resurrection.

There is tons more. Having read some of C.S Lewis' Christian theology, he really knew what he was talking about and definitely placed some of his knowledge in the book.

As for the good side doing alot of fighting, well read the Old Testament, it's rather violent :D
big mac

Postby jhc68 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:18 pm

Bah, humbug... I draw the line at paying to see movies with talking animals. I had enough of that with Mr. Ed ( "a horse is a horse, of course, of course...and no one can talk with a horse, of course... unless, of course, the talking horse is the famous Mr. Ed" ... see, I told you I was overdosed. Films with talking animals never have a good effect!).

And I don't get why C.S. Lewis thought he had to write about magical animals to convey Biblical messages... aren't there enough stories in the Bible to suffice?

I do, though, agree with Mac about the Old Testament. Violent stuff, that. And God was a really arbitrary grouch! Go ask poor old Job!
jhc68

Postby big mac » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:12 pm

C.S Lewis was a writer, don't forget that
big mac

Postby Daisy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:27 am

jhc68 wrote:And I don't get why C.S. Lewis thought he had to write about magical animals to convey Biblical messages... aren't there enough stories in the Bible to suffice?

Mmm, I thought he was writing for children. Don't children love talking magical animal characters? I'm thinking of winnie the pooh, mickey mouse and other similar things. Or is that just my kids?

Wasn't Aesop's fables with talking animals? That was even aimed at adults. It works.
Daisy

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:14 am

big mac wrote:Imagery I saw...

I saw the imagery - I did not see the allegory. C.S. Lewis's vengeance and violence does not seem to gibe with Jesus's teachings.

[this is not a 'religious' statement (or post) - just my understanding of the Gospels vs. what the film presented]
tafnut

Postby gh » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:49 am

Haven't seen the movie, so can't address its presentation directly, but not sure I've ever read anything by Lewis that wasn't heavy on Christian allegory. The Chronicles as a whole is nothing but.

trivia: without looking, what does the C.S. stand for?
gh

Postby big mac » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:23 pm

tafnut wrote:
big mac wrote:Imagery I saw...

I saw the imagery - I did not see the allegory. C.S. Lewis's vengeance and violence does not seem to gibe with Jesus's teachings.

[this is not a 'religious' statement (or post) - just my understanding of the Gospels vs. what the film presented]

Yes, but Jesus' teachings aren't all of it. There is the old testament and then in the New, we have Revelations. The violence and battle between good and evil is pretty clearly defined in either. All I'm gettign at, while Jesus may have been a peaceful man (but you do see him ransacking a marketplace by the synagoque (sp)) the often held misconception that God, Christianity and all are rather impotent is incorrect. Sure we know to turn the other cheek, but that doesn't mean you let evil run over the top of you without fighting back.
big mac

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:29 pm

big mac wrote:Sure we know to turn the other cheek, but that doesn't mean you let evil run over the top of you without fighting back.

Not to switch religions on ya, but Ganghi (and Jesus) would dispute that (love thy enemy, walk the extra mile, turn the other cheek, etc.).

But we'll get this thread yanked if we go into any more, so we'll just say we disgree on the merits of the movie, OK :)
tafnut

Postby big mac » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:54 pm

Yeah I won't go further cause I don't want this yanked. You are told to resist evil, that doesn't always mean ignore it either.
big mac

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:04 pm

big mac wrote:Yeah I won't go further cause I don't want this yanked. You are told to resist evil, that doesn't always mean ignore it either.

totally agree - as Edmund Burke said (or words to this effect):

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
tafnut

Postby jhc68 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:22 pm

I still don't like movies with talking animals, even if they are religious animals! Unless it's a cartoon. I ONLY like cartoons with talking animals. Cartoons with people are horrible! Even those Charlie Brown specials everyone is supposed to love. Ptooeey!

So I don't like Narnia, even though I haven't seen it.

Now, I HAVE read some of CS Lewis' religious tracts, but they haven't convinced me to pay money to see a movie with talking animals.
jhc68

Postby big mac » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:10 am

jhc68 wrote:I still don't like movies with talking animals, even if they are religious animals! Unless it's a cartoon. I ONLY like cartoons with talking animals. Cartoons with people are horrible! Even those Charlie Brown specials everyone is supposed to love. Ptooeey!

So I don't like Narnia, even though I haven't seen it.

Now, I HAVE read some of CS Lewis' religious tracts, but they haven't convinced me to pay money to see a movie with talking animals.

Go watch King Kong then. Either way you get to watch a NZ made movie :P
big mac