Worst Xmas Present You Ever Got?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Worst Xmas Present You Ever Got?

Postby gh » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:45 pm

I have to admit to this not being an original bit of gh thinking; they were doing it on the radio at lunch today and the winner at that point was the guy who as an 8-year-old got a package of old Playboys from his uncle. (Uncle since blackballed from the family.)

I must have had a pretty good life so far, I can't seen to recall anything that was particularly bad.
gh

Re: Worst Xmas Present You Ever Got?

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:49 pm

gh wrote:I have to admit to this not being an original bit of gh thinking; they were doing it on the radio at lunch today and the winner at that point was the guy who as an 8-year-old got a package of old Playboys from his uncle. (Uncle since blackballed from the family.)

I must have had a pretty good life so far, I can't seen to recall anything that was particularly bad.

i was 8 once. was the playboys the best gift or the worst? for me it would have been right up there with a metallic lime green schwin stingray bike.worst gift? probably a hidious sweater from grandma.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby DrJay » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:05 pm

Grandmo always gave me clothes and clothes and more clothes. Never a laser blaster or Legos or GI Joe. My senior year in HS, I hit the trifecta with her.....three piece soft luggage set, one for Xmas, one for birthday (April), one for HS graduation. Practical but boring.
Last edited by DrJay on Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrJay

Re: Worst Xmas Present You Ever Got?

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:07 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:i was 8 once. was the playboys the best gift or the worst? for me it would have been right up there with a metallic lime green schwin stingray bike.

Way above a Sting Ray (mine was a two-speed metal flake purple number). I cannot see how Playboys could end up on the worst gift list.

As a kid, clothes as gifts were never appreciated.
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:31 pm

First LOL of the day though.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:43 pm

My dad was not the world's biggest spender, so he used to go down to the corner dollar store to do his Christmas shopping. One year I got a lovely set of 12 oz. plastic drinking glasses (pretty sure I had seen them as a give-away at the local gas station when they used to do that sort of thing with a fill-up). Another year, we got His & Her oven mitts (and here I would have thought one size fits all), but the 'best' (remember the thread title) present was a small 'thing' that looked like a miniature garden rake (4 inches long). We finally gave up and called him under the pretext of wishing him a verbal 'Merry Christmas' and steered the conversation towards the gifts we had given. I finally had to admit I had no idea what he had given me. The answer - a hairbrush cleaner. :roll:
tafnut

Postby slowcoach » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:00 pm

I'm with my current partner for 15 years now, and every year her mother gives me a pair of socks. Every year. :?
slowcoach