Gates, Bono TIME People of Year 2005

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Gates, Bono TIME People of Year 2005

Postby EPelle » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:00 pm

Bono, I understand. Gates, though? What:s the story behind this?

Good choices?
EPelle

Re: Gates, Bono TIME People of Year 2005

Postby Daisy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:18 pm

EPelle wrote:Bono, I understand. Gates, though? What:s the story behind this? Good choices?

Gates has been visiting universities to try and encourage kids to do computing and software development as a career. He dropped into our place this semester. It was ad hoc so the kids had no idea he was going to be giving the guest lecture. He has also been pushing the High Tech high schools. On top of that his foundation is starting to give out serious money for many different causes. Is that enough? I'm not sure.
Daisy

Postby bad hammy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:53 am

EPelle wrote:Bono, I understand. Gates, though? What:s the story behind this?

Good choices?

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is a charitable organization with a total endowment (pretty much all donated by the Gates') of $28 Billion (yep, Billion!!). So far they have granted almost $10 Billion to various causes, about half of which have to do with health issues. In anyone's book that is some serious change.
http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Grants/default.htm
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:11 am

tafnut
Posted: 15 Nov 2005 18:11

The perfect choice is Bill Gates, because he is
a. Evil Incarnate to many (monopolozing much of the cyberworld)
b. a Saint to many others (gives a $BILLION to fight world disease, and like it or not, has transformed the cyberworld)

How prescient of me! :D
tafnut

Postby Daisy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:31 am

tafnut wrote:How prescient of me! :D

Not bad tafnut!
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... rld#233545
Daisy

Postby utkvol80 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:33 pm

EPelle wrote:Bono, I understand. Gates, though? What:s the story behind this?

Good choices?

What's the big f.....deal about Bono? I don't understand? Gates spends a lot of money on suppossedly "good" causes, keeping in mind however, there is a tax advantage to his generosity.
utkvol80

Postby tafnut » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:25 pm

utkvol80 wrote:What's the big f.....deal about Bono? I don't understand? Gates spends a lot of money on suppossedly "good" causes, keeping in mind however, there is a tax advantage to his generosity.

WAAAY too cynical on both. Have you read the Time article? Do.
tafnut

Postby utkvol80 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:33 pm

tafnut wrote:
utkvol80 wrote:What's the big f.....deal about Bono? I don't understand? Gates spends a lot of money on suppossedly "good" causes, keeping in mind however, there is a tax advantage to his generosity.

WAAAY too cynical on both. Have you read the Time article? Do.

I read the Time article, I still think Bono is nothing but an opportunist.
utkvol80

Postby tafnut » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:51 pm

utkvol80 wrote:I still think Bono is nothing but an opportunist.

What 'opportunity' is he looking for?. He is already as rich and famous as he can handle. Many celebrities mouth off for causes - he does something tangible to 'make the world a better place', as does Gates. Is that such a bad thing? If Time wishes to choose them as 'People of the Year', which only bring MORE publicity to their causes (world poverty, disease, suffering and injustice), maybe that's a good thing. I'm not sure what your 'beef' with them is.
tafnut

Postby utkvol80 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:49 am

tafnut wrote:
utkvol80 wrote:I still think Bono is nothing but an opportunist.

What 'opportunity' is he looking for?. He is already as rich and famous as he can handle. Many celebrities mouth off for causes - he does something tangible to 'make the world a better place', as does Gates. Is that such a bad thing? If Time wishes to choose them as 'People of the Year', which only bring MORE publicity to their causes (world poverty, disease, suffering and injustice), maybe that's a good thing. I'm not sure what your 'beef' with them is.

Sorry, just can't take him seriously; the pink sunglasses and all. I have never thought much of his activism, nor of his music. I could have gone along with Bill and Melinda Gates by themselves, at least they continue to use their last name. I see these choices more as a reflection of the generation, and the culture of that generation, that made the choice, than the actual person and their deeds. For the generation x'ers, or y'ers, Bono's "groovey," to use a term from my generation; I don't relate to generation x, y, and z, so I don't place much stock in who they choose to shower their accolades.
utkvol80