Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much For


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much For

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:19 am

(Clearly inspired from GH Rosebowl thread)...

What have you payed through the roof for and didn:t quite get the same in return, but thought, at the time, you had to have it?

Me? My last vehicle - Audi A6 Avant.
EPelle
 
Posts: 21442
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:28 am

I'm a terrible 'impulse buyer' and buy all sorts of stupid stuff. The last one was a fake tattoo kit, that had stencils for tattoos that would last a couple of days. I thought it would be really funny to get all sorts of tats to spook people at school (skull on the forearm - random Chinese characters on my neck, etc.) OF COURSE I chickened out when the time came to do it (Halloween). Luckily the kit and all the other idiotic stuff I fall for are under $20, cuz I know what a ninny I am and 20 is the Ninny Limit.

Biggest Stupid Buy = Dodge Omni in 1981 - whatta-hunka-junk!
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:41 am

tafnut wrote:I'm a terrible 'impulse buyer' and buy all sorts of stupid stuff. The last one was a fake tattoo kit, that had stencils for tattoos that would last a couple of days. I thought it would be really funny to get all sorts of tats to spook people at school (skull on the forearm - random Chinese characters on my neck, etc.) OF COURSE I chickened out when the time came to do it (Halloween). Luckily the kit and all the other idiotic stuff I fall for are under $20, cuz I know what a ninny I am and 20 is the Ninny Limit.

Biggest Stupid Buy = Dodge Omni in 1981 - whatta-hunka-junk!


my 1984 honda civic (great car) finally died after 13 years. they werent kiddin about changing the timing belt before it breaks! and i was unlucky enough to be giving an old dodge omni. when you break down on the highway and leave the car overnite the cops put a orange sticker on your car. my once white piece of crap eventually looked like it fell off a tree in florida.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:00 am

EPelle wrote:Me? My last vehicle - Audi A6 Avant.

Great car! I tried really hard to convince myself to spend about $40k on an Audi S4 a few years back, but could make the payment without being forced to move.

To answer the question I’d say an autographed leather-bound copy of Richard Nixon’s autobiography. Cost so much I couldn’t bear to actually handle it enough to read it. I bought a paperback copy to see what I was missing! I have a bit of an RN fixation ‘cause he signed the draft out of existence just before I was going to eligible. My collection includes RN coasters, magnets, a punching bag (!) and a talking RN doll . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby AKMarmoset » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:39 am

Oh you affluent Track fans you. Let's address Epelle's query from another perspective:

I don't know if this the most egregious poor judgement I've made as a buyer, but it's recent. After I moved into the cabin I live in now, I decided I needed a table. I tracked down a really shady wholesale furniture place in mid-town Fairbanks, really tucked away, where I was greeted by the owner's Eastern European girlfriend who spoke English. The owner showed up soon afterward. He realized my budget and took me outside to the tent where he kept the, um, "cheaper merchandise." There was a four-leg table, he tried to convince me that it expanded but I could see that it was bolted together underneath. He was asking $250, I got him down to $100 plus two free chairs with moderate need of repair. Threw the chairs in the car and tied the table to the roof and drove home. Later I realized what I had spent $100 on, but oh well - the thing hasn't collapsed yet.
AKMarmoset
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby az2004 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:11 pm

1994 world cup finals...brasil and italia

2 seats in the end zone where the PKs were taken...

grand price...$3000...

all I gotta say is the brasilian party in pasadena afterwards made carneval look tame
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Two Words

Postby wineturtle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:12 pm

Third Wife.
wineturtle
 
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Astoria Queens New York

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby tafnut » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:32 pm

bad hammy wrote: My collection includes . . . a talking RN doll . . .


So does the doll say any of these great Nixonisms? :D

I am not a crook.

You won't have old Tricky Dick to kick around any more.

I brought myself down. I impeached myself by resigning.

I can see clearly now... that I was wrong in not acting more decisively and more forthrightly in dealing with Watergate.

I played by the rules of politics as I found them.

I want you to stonewall it.

It is necessary for me to establish a winner image. Therefore, I have to beat somebody.

Solutions are not the answer.

The press is the enemy.

There will be no whitewash in the White House.

When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal.
tafnut
 
Posts: 26684
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Lost at C (-minus)

Re: Two Words

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:50 pm

wineturtle wrote:Third Wife.


dear wineturtle, if you've married three times maybe you dont " get it " :wink:
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:53 pm

tafnut wrote:
bad hammy wrote: My collection includes . . . a talking RN doll . . .


So does the doll say any of these great Nixonisms? :D

I am not a crook.

You won't have old Tricky Dick to kick around any more.

I brought myself down. I impeached myself by resigning.

I can see clearly now... that I was wrong in not acting more decisively and more forthrightly in dealing with Watergate.

I played by the rules of politics as I found them.

I want you to stonewall it.

It is necessary for me to establish a winner image. Therefore, I have to beat somebody.

Solutions are not the answer.

The press is the enemy.

There will be no whitewash in the White House.

When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal.


hey nut, doesnt "the checkers speech" have some gems. my fav. is " im not a crook" which i feel the prez of the u.s of a shouldnt HAVE to say!
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:26 pm

tafnut wrote:So does the doll say any of these great Nixonisms? :D

It does have "I am not a crook' and about 15 others. Some samples are here: http://www.toypresidents.com/view_produ ... asp?pid=12
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:51 pm

bad hammy wrote:
tafnut wrote:So does the doll say any of these great Nixonisms? :D

It does have "I am not a crook' and about 15 others. Some samples are here: http://www.toypresidents.com/view_produ ... asp?pid=12


yo mr. bad, more important than anything is, its not a doll! its a action figure. i have a jimi hendrix doll, i mean action figure cause his arm moves. i have a stuff joe montana thing. and nothin moves so i guess its a doll. do you have any figurines? i hear they are very nice.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:10 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:do you have any figurines? i hear they are very nice.

Nope. I have talking action figures for both Abe Lincoln and Tom Jefferson (it is amazing how much their voices sound like the real thing :D ), along with Nixon. Also a stuffed Abe Lincoln doll-thingy. That's about it.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Something You "Had" to Have, Payed Too Much Fo

Postby JRM » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:01 pm

bad hammy wrote:
tafnut wrote:So does the doll say any of these great Nixonisms? :D

It does have "I am not a crook' and about 15 others. Some samples are here: http://www.toypresidents.com/view_produ ... asp?pid=12


Check out the Al Gore doll!

http://www.clayloomis.com/simp288a.wav
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Two Words

Postby Jefferson Buffalo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:20 pm

wineturtle wrote:Third Wife.

Ah, the triumph of optimism over experience!
Jefferson Buffalo
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Two Words

Postby wineturtle » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:02 am

Jefferson Buffalo wrote:
wineturtle wrote:Third Wife.

Ah, the triumph of optimism over experience!


I call it the " Lori Catch and Release Program"A fiscally sound program for tall women started by the first Ex-mrs. wineturtle. She is currently working on the release of her # 5 catch although Mr.'you don't have to call me Doctor''doesn't know it yet :wink:
PS I'm the only one that was not hit by the fine print found under the Closing Costs heading.
wineturtle
 
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Astoria Queens New York


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests