Running in the Big House . . .

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Running in the Big House . . .

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:06 am

San Quentin, that is.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... G0U3K1.DTL

A small part of the story is about a guy named Ralph Ligons, as follows:

Ralph Ligons, serving 25-to-life on a third-strike offense, has vivid memories of his glory days as a nationally ranked sprinter in the early 1970s. A star sprinter at Pittsburg High School, Ligons was an All-American at Cal State Sacramento and competed in the 1972 Olympic Trials.

Anyone know if that part is legit??
bad hammy

Postby gh » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:15 am

3rd in the Cal State 100 in '70, but didn't make HS List at 9.6 legal or 9.5w.

Went to Sac State made it to the quarterfinals of the '72 OT, had a windy 10.1 (ran windy 10.3s in h and qf at the OT).
gh

Postby asu » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:01 am

"The Jericho Mile"
asu

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:32 am

gh wrote:3rd in the Cal State 100 in '70, but didn't make HS List at 9.6 legal or 9.5w.

Went to Sac State made it to the quarterfinals of the '72 OT, had a windy 10.1 (ran windy 10.3s in h and qf at the OT).

WOW! i think i remember him now. its so strange pulling a memory out thats been buried for 35 years. gary, do you remember what he looked like. wasnt he african american but also had red hair and freckles?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:47 am

SQUACKEE wrote:gary, do you remember what he looked like. wasnt he african american but also had red hair and freckles?

There is a picture of him with the story.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/articl ... K1.DTL&o=3
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:53 am

EPelle

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 pm

You guys have it hard out there:

(1) If a defendant has one prior felony conviction that has been pled and proved, the determinate term or minimum term for an indeterminate term shall be twice the term otherwise provided aspunishment for the current felony conviction.

(2) (A) If a defendant has two or more prior felony convictions, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b), that have been pled and proved, the term for the current felony conviction shall be an indeterminate term of life imprisonment with a minimum term of the indeterminate sentence calculated as the greater of

(i) three times the term otherwise provided as punishment for each current felony conviction subsequent to the two or more prior felony convictions, or

(ii) twenty-five years or

(iii) the term determined by the court pursuant to Section 1170 for the underlying conviction, including any enhancement applicable under Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 1170) of Title 7 of Part2, or any period prescribed by Section 190 or 3046.

However, the following "serious" felonies count toward that 3-Strike law:

"Serious Felonies" (As "Strikes") Within the Meaning of California Penal Code Section 1192.7.(c)

:: Murder or voluntary manslaughter;
:: mayhem;
:: rape;
:: sodomy by force, violence, duress, menace, threat of great bodily injury, or fear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the victim or anotherperson;
:: oral copulation by force, violence, duress, menace, threat of greatbodily injury, or fear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the victimor another person;
:: lewd or lascivious act on a child under the age of 14 years;
:: any felony punishable by death or imprisonment in the state prison forlife;
:: any other felony in w hich the defendant personally inflicts great bodilyinjury on any person, other than an accomplice; or any felony which the defendant personally uses a firearm;
:: attempted murder;
:: assault with intent to commit rape or robbery;
:: assault with a deadly weapon or instrument on a peace officer;
:: assault by a life prisoner on a noninmate;
:: assault with a deadly weapon by an inmate;
arson;
:: exploding a destructive device or any explosive with the intent toinjure;
:: exploding a destructive device or any explosive causing great bodily injury or mayhem;
:: exploding a destructive device or any explosive with intent to murder;
burglary of an inhabited dwelling house, or trailer coach as defined bythe Vehicle Code, or inhabited portion of any other building;
:: robbery or bank robbery;
:: kidnapping;
:: holding of a hostage by a person confined in a state prison;
:: attempt to commit a felony punishable by death or imprisonment in the state prison for life;
:: any felony in which the defendant personally used a dangerous or deadlyweapon;
:: selling, furnishing, administering, giving, or offering to sell,furnish, administer, or give to a minor any heroin, cocaine, phencyclidine(PCP), or any methamphetamine-related drug, as described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 11055 of the Health and Safety Code, or any of theprecursors of methamphetamines, as described in subparagraph (A) of paragraph(1) of subdivision (f) of Section 11055 or subdivision (a) of Section 11100of the Health and Safety Code;
:: any violation of subdivision (a) of Section 289 where the act is accomplished against the victim's will by force, violence, duress, menace, orfear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the victim or another person;
:: grand theft involving a firearm;
:: carjacking; any attempt to commit a crime listed in this subdivisionother than an assault; and
:: any conspiracy to commit an offense described in paragraph (24) as itapplies to Section 11370 .4 of the Health and Safety Code where the defendantconspirator was substantially involved in the planning, direction, orfinancing of the underlying offense.

If Mr. Ligons has been convicted twice for any of the above, I can see how it may not be in his favor on a third conviction.
EPelle

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:33 pm

And the third conviction can be really petty. There are guys in prison for 25 to life whose third strikes include things stealing VHS tapes from department stores.

We had a high-profile child kidnap-murder case committed my some multiple-time loser that got the ball really rolling on this three strikes stuff. I hate to pay to keep the VHS guys in prison for that long, but these guys know the rules. Maybe some of them prefer the prison life to life on the outside.
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:38 pm

bad hammy wrote:And the third conviction can be really petty. There are guys in prison for 25 to life whose third strikes include things stealing VHS tapes from department stores.

We had a high-profile child kidnap-murder case committed my some multiple-time loser that got the ball really rolling on this three strikes stuff. I hate to pay to keep the VHS guys in prison for that long, but these guys know the rules. Maybe some of them prefer the prison life to life on the outside.

if it was clear to me the penalty for stealing vhs tapes was life in prison i would make the choice to pay for said tapes.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:44 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:if it was clear to me the penalty for stealing vhs tapes was life in prison i would make the choice to pay for said tapes.

So how many VHS tapes do you have in storage??
Last edited by bad hammy on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:49 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:if it was clear to me the penalty for stealing vhs tapes was life in prison i would make the choice to pay for said tapes.

to which
bad hammy wrote: So how many VHS tapes do you have in storage??

None, he got smart and bought DVDs. :-)
EPelle