Culinary Question For Squackee

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby EPelle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:56 am

Learn something new every day:

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Canadian, Edward A. Asselbergs invented instant mashed potatoes (dehydrated potato flakes) in 1962.
EPelle

Postby Helen S » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Regarding the above creamed potato recipe- I prefer mine mashed, preferably by hand with an old potato masher, rather than whipping them to the smooth consistancy of baby food. It leaves a bit more substance, and you actually get to chew on them a bit.
Helen S

Postby marknhj » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Trader Joe's garlic mashed, in a box, everytime - takes about 90 secs to prepare!
marknhj

Postby mojo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm

marknhj wrote:Trader Joe's garlic mashed, in a box, everytime - takes about 90 secs to prepare!

I LOVE TJ's....not a one in Canada but I have ben twice in the States. I'll have to try those Mark.
mojo

Postby JRM » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

mojo wrote:
marknhj wrote:Trader Joe's garlic mashed, in a box, everytime - takes about 90 secs to prepare!

I LOVE TJ's....not a one in Canada but I have ben twice in the States. I'll have to try those Mark.

Ah, TJ's... They carry some good wines and cheap foreign beer too, including a Lithuanian beer, of all things (good for my heritage)! Best grocery store ever!

It started in Pasadena, actually. We have about 6 within a 5 mile radius of our house! (the original TJ's is only a few blocks away)
JRM

Postby mojo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:28 pm

JRM wrote:
mojo wrote:

I
It started in Pasadena, actually. We have about 6 within a 5 mile radius of our house! (the original TJ's is only a few blocks away)

Wow!
And the two times I managed to talk DH into driving off course to get to one are life highlights for me..... :( :( :wink:
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:33 pm

JRM wrote:Best grocery store ever!

Don't know if I'd go that far, but their Two Buck Chuck is the best deal in bottled wine ever. Not only is it good to drink, but it is so cheap that I use it extensively in cooking.

Best trick? Soak a bunch of cedar chips in wine for about four hours, and then smoke them in the BBQ while cooking a beer-can chicken. Fill the beer can with the wine too. You can use one of TJs free-range organic chickens here. Makes for one great chicken . . .
bad hammy

Next