Culinary Question For Squackee

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby gh » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:01 am

Helen S wrote: Any hints on how to make good home fries without using a lot of oil? Boiling 1 inch cubes frist before frying helps, but it is not perfect.

Do "cottage fries"; i.e., instead of cutting the potato into sticks, make "chips" out of them; the thinner you slice, the less oil you can get away with.
gh

Postby mojo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:10 pm

I do fries in the oven- seweet potatoes done that way are superb1

just cut the potatoes into wedges or whatever (don't want the potato nazis coming after me :wink: ) and toss with olive oil salt, any spices you like...nutmeg-yum! :wink:
bake in a very hot oven until cooked through.
Alot less fat, mess and hassle.

But then fat is what makes a fry so good ..... but sometimes you gotta be good right? :)
mojo

Just my .017 euros worth

Postby wineturtle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:23 am

2 pounds potatoes-russets
3/4 to 1 1/4 cups whole milk brought just to a boil and set aside
16 tablespoons chilled butter cut into pieces
sea salt to taste

boil unpeeled potatoes until cooked then peel and food mill or tamis (sieve)potatoes into pot, stir until dry then add butter by vigorously whipping into potatoes until incorporated then add 3/4 milk in slow thin stream while stirring vigorously ( if you are not sweating-not fast enough), then tamis (sieve) again and adjust with milk or butter and salt to taste.
From Chef Joel Robuchon
http://www.robuchon.com/
wineturtle

Re: Just my .017 euros worth

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:27 am

wineturtle wrote:2 pounds potatoes-russets
sea salt to taste

boil unpeeled potatoes until cooked then peel and food mill or tamis (sieve)potatoes into pot, stir until dry then add butter by vigorously whipping into potatoes until incorporated then add 3/4 milk in slow thin stream while stirring vigorously ( if you are not sweating-not fast enough), then tamis (sieve) again and adjust with milk or butter and salt to taste.
From Chef Joel Robuchon

i love everything i read except........2 pounds :!: :shock: :cry:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Just my .017 euros worth

Postby bad hammy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:53 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
wineturtle wrote:2 pounds potatoes-russets
sea salt to taste

From Chef Joel Robuchon

i love everything i read except........2 pounds :!: :shock: :cry:

All of that vigorous stirring and sweating works off about 2 pounds, so it is a net zero.
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:56 am

Learn something new every day:

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Canadian, Edward A. Asselbergs invented instant mashed potatoes (dehydrated potato flakes) in 1962.
EPelle

Postby Helen S » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Regarding the above creamed potato recipe- I prefer mine mashed, preferably by hand with an old potato masher, rather than whipping them to the smooth consistancy of baby food. It leaves a bit more substance, and you actually get to chew on them a bit.
Helen S

Postby marknhj » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Trader Joe's garlic mashed, in a box, everytime - takes about 90 secs to prepare!
marknhj

Postby mojo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm

marknhj wrote:Trader Joe's garlic mashed, in a box, everytime - takes about 90 secs to prepare!

I LOVE TJ's....not a one in Canada but I have ben twice in the States. I'll have to try those Mark.
mojo

Postby JRM » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

mojo wrote:
marknhj wrote:Trader Joe's garlic mashed, in a box, everytime - takes about 90 secs to prepare!

I LOVE TJ's....not a one in Canada but I have ben twice in the States. I'll have to try those Mark.

Ah, TJ's... They carry some good wines and cheap foreign beer too, including a Lithuanian beer, of all things (good for my heritage)! Best grocery store ever!

It started in Pasadena, actually. We have about 6 within a 5 mile radius of our house! (the original TJ's is only a few blocks away)
JRM

Postby mojo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:28 pm

JRM wrote:
mojo wrote:

I
It started in Pasadena, actually. We have about 6 within a 5 mile radius of our house! (the original TJ's is only a few blocks away)

Wow!
And the two times I managed to talk DH into driving off course to get to one are life highlights for me..... :( :( :wink:
mojo

Postby bad hammy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:33 pm

JRM wrote:Best grocery store ever!

Don't know if I'd go that far, but their Two Buck Chuck is the best deal in bottled wine ever. Not only is it good to drink, but it is so cheap that I use it extensively in cooking.

Best trick? Soak a bunch of cedar chips in wine for about four hours, and then smoke them in the BBQ while cooking a beer-can chicken. Fill the beer can with the wine too. You can use one of TJs free-range organic chickens here. Makes for one great chicken . . .
bad hammy

Next