What were your "Black Friday" purchases?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

What were your "Black Friday" purchases?

Postby JRM » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:03 pm

So, how early were you out this morning? How many people did you trample / trampled you? What was your best deal of the day?

I refuse to go out early when the mad dash is on. So, my wife and I hit the stores at about 11am, and I ended up with a 300 lb Olympic free weight set ($80) for my home gym (i.e. attic).

Non-American residents need not reply! :) (but you can tell us what you bought today, anyway).
JRM

Postby jhc68 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:32 pm

I bought a new set of cheap earphones at Circuit City so I can listen to TV audio while I work on aerobics at the gym. Black Friday scored a cool $14.95 from this old geezer.

What I don't understand: we keep outsourcing jobs to other nations, lowering wages through union busting, and hiring temp workers at minimum wages and with no benefits... who do the big retailers think will have the money to set records on every succeeding future Black Friday?
jhc68

Postby Cooter Brown » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:11 am

Circuit City in Austin was selling Toshiba laptops for $199 at 5am. I'd be interested to see what the specs were...may get up for that next year...
Cooter Brown

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:52 am

NOTHING ! Stayed home all day !
dukehjsteve

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:33 am

dont take this the wrong way but, isnt shopping on black friday a chick thing. well anyway i went to the store and got fixins to make my homemade chili and beer. does that count?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby mojo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:33 am

Did anyone see the clip (It seemed to be on every channel) of the stampede at a WalMart? Not nice, but did you see the lady who got knocked over? She was scrambling to put her wig back on! Hilarious! (and she wasn't hurt).

Squackee- there seemed to be an awful lot of men in the meelee.
mojo

Postby tafnut » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:56 am

Article in this morning paper: Kohl's (a local department store that's up-scale, but heavily discounted) opened at 5am yesterday with a huge crowd waiting outside. They interviewed a 40-something guy who had a 2-page Xmas shopping list, given to him by his wife, who told him he'd better come home with everything on it. Where was she? Home in bed.

Today's assignment: Please explain what's wrong (multiple answers possible) with this picture. Limit your posted essay response to 2000 words please. :roll:
tafnut

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:00 am

Well one thing that's wrong is that Kohl's for sure is not "up-scale."
dukehjsteve

Postby JRM » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:35 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Well one thing that's wrong is that Kohl's for sure is not "up-scale."

Yeah, I was going to say: I don't know what things are like in Florida, but Kohl's certainly isn't Nordstrom's or Macy's! It it, however, a bit higher up than Walmart.

Re: stampedes... There are Walmart stampedes every year! It's quite frightening, actually. Last night on the news, they even had a segment of how to "keep safe" during the shopping season. Suggestions included: "be sure your car is parked in a visible spot", and my favorite: "always shop in groups -- never shop alone". :| :?:
JRM

Postby tafnut » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:56 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Well one thing that's wrong is that Kohl's for sure is not "up-scale."

S-O-R-R-Y that I don't live in a more chic, hip, trendy neighborhood, but Kohl's IS upscale for where I live. It's identical to the Dillard's at the mall, which is pretty much as good as it gets here. The local Super-Walmart (parking lot is jammed 24/7 . . . literally) is our mid-scale store, if that gives you a hint where out 'brow' is located.

We're not all rednecks here, but we ain't uppity neither. :o

[Ceptin' some of us :D ]
tafnut

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:02 am

[quote="tafnut"][quote="dukehjsteve"]Well one thing that's wrong is that Kohl's for sure is not "up-scale."[/quote]

S-O-R-R-Y that I don't live in a more chic, hip, trendy neighborhood, but Kohl's IS upscale for where I live. It's identical to the Dillard's at the mall, which is pretty much as good as it gets here.

Rumor has it that Dillard's will soon come to Indy's largest mall, replacing a large local Indiana chain's store ( LS Ayres) that got bought by Macy's , itself already located 200 yards down the mall. I've heard Dillard's is pretty nice... big down in Cincy.
dukehjsteve

Postby fizbin » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:08 am

tafnut wrote:It's identical to the Dillard's at the mall, which is pretty much as good as it gets here.

No Gucci or Hermes nearby?? Not even a Nordstrom’s? Next thing you'll tell us is that Pizza Hut is the gourmet restaurant down there. :shock:

Good God, man, how do you folks survive?? :lol:
fizbin

Postby mojo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:27 am

In most ways Canada is the superior country ( :wink: :wink: :wink: ) but when it comes to shopping choice I admit you have us beat.

I'd be happy to get Target up here. 8) 8)

Oh well we whip your butt in track and that's what counts. :P
Last edited by mojo on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojo

Postby tafnut » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:30 am

fizbin wrote:No Gucci or Hermes nearby?? Not even a Nordstrom’s? Next thing you'll tell us is that Pizza Hut is the gourmet restaurant down there. :shock:
Good God, man, how do you folks survive?? :lol:

Yeah, we's just good ole countryfolk here. We doan make no nemamine bout no hifalutin' city-bought stuff. My britches may be overalls, but I sho nuff gots plenty good in ma life, dadgummit!
tafnut

Postby Law dude » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:08 am

JRM wrote:Re: stampedes... There are Walmart stampedes every year! It's quite frightening, actually.

Oo-o-o-oh. There are stampedes every year and that's well known, but Wal-Mart lets it happen anyway (perhaps thinking it's good publicity)? One of these years, they're going to make some plaintiff's law dude very happy.
Law dude

Postby JRM » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:16 pm

Actually -- speaking of stores that aren't really upscale but pretend to be... On last night's news, they were reporting about Black Friday, and had a live shot from Beverly Hills / Rodeo Drive. The store directly behind the reporter was none other than Roots! I didn't know they had a store here, but moreover didn't know that it was BH material!

Canucks: let's hear your thoughts on Roots (official outfitter of the US Olympics Team...)!
JRM

Postby EPelle » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:35 am

A co-worker is on a three-day assignment in New Jersey... sent her out on Friday to buy anything from Old Navy. We don:t have those kinds of retail stores here.
EPelle

Postby tafnut » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:46 am

EPelle wrote:A co-worker is on a three-day assignment in New Jersey... sent her out on Friday to buy anything from Old Navy. We don:t have those kinds of retail stores here.

Don't know how to break this to you, EPelle, but Old Navy is pretty much geared to the 14-29 set, which you haven't been in . . . uh . . . a couple of years. :o
tafnut

Postby EPelle » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:53 am

tafnut wrote:Don't know how to break this to you, EPelle, but Old Navy is pretty much geared to the 14-29 set, which you haven't been in . . . uh . . . a couple of years. :o

Tafnut, I am 25 with 10 years of experience.
EPelle

Postby tafnut » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:18 am

EPelle wrote:Tafnut, I am 25 with 10 years of experience.

Ah yes, and I am just about to celebrate the 20th anniversary of my 35th birthday. My how time stands still when you're having fun! [to coin a phrase] :D
tafnut

Re: What were your "Black Friday" purchases?

Postby tlb747 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 am

Nothing! I went out to TGI Friday's for some "Baby-Back Ribs."
tlb747

Postby trackstar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:08 am

Beer. To help me enjoy the Texas-Texas A&M game. And I don't go shopping at 5am for ANYTHING, unless it's breakfast after partying all night. (Which, being a parent, I don't do anymore.)
trackstar