The US better dust off those Canuck invasion plans

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby cullman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:05 pm

I can name five off the top of my head...the Dionne quintuplets. So is Boston's favourite son, Bobby Orr. Howabout Elizabeth Arden, Percy Faith, Jim Naismith, Fred Banting and Winnie the Pooh? If you guys think Alex Bell (wasn't he born in Scotland?) and Jim Naismith are American, then I guess we can claim Leon Trotsky, The Friendly Giant and Gugu Marconi as Canadian because they did some of their best work north of the 49th. Sitting Bull lived in Canada for four years. Sister Aimee Semple was Canadian and so was Superman co-creator, Joe Shuster but they did their best work due south.

If a wall was put up between the Canada and US border, I'd miss the Red Sox, bourbon and Veronica Mars. :lol:

cman
cullman

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Read another article today that the USAnian public couldn't care less about Paul Martin's comments on the softwood issue. Stop talking about it and turn off the oil taps. THEN they would pay attention.
MJD

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:54 pm

eldrick wrote:
tafnut wrote:
Daisy wrote:As far as I know the gene pool for the rest of us is in pretty good shape.

I should hope so! With all the Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Bretons, Celts, Nords, Swedes, Danes, etc. in your last 2000 years, you guys are as much mongrels as we are!

apart from the celts, i believe all he rest are all just varieties of "germans", so i don't think there is that much mongrelisation ( all those invaders were genetically pretty much the same )

Historically, don't forget the Romans. And recently contributions from the african and asian gene pool are common. But not among the aritocrats.
Daisy

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Didn't this all start with the fact that the country has never been successfully invaded? It looks like you've been overrun several times.
MJD

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:17 pm

MJD wrote:Didn't this all start with the fact that the country has never been successfully invaded? It looks like you've been overrun several times.

well not since 1066. theroetically everyone since then has been welcomed with open arms.
Daisy

Postby slowcoach » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Daisy wrote:
MJD wrote:Didn't this all start with the fact that the country has never been successfully invaded? It looks like you've been overrun several times.

well not since 1066. theroetically everyone since then has been welcomed with open arms.

Or since then they've been doing the overrunning. :evil:
slowcoach

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:40 pm

77% say cut off the US:

Go for it.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:09 pm

From that article:

Seventy-one per cent of respondents agreed with the statement: "I value and respect the United States and its citizens -- it's just that I disagree fundamentally with their government."

At the risk of getting this post or thread pulled, that's about the same as on this side of the border.

Edit: and the funny/sad thing about this story on trade issues is that 99% of Americans don't have any idea it is one (a story, that is).
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:34 pm

Do you think they would if they turned off the taps? My guess would be yes.
Last edited by MJD on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:46 pm

Well, then it would be back to those Canuck invasion plans for us.
bad hammy

Postby cullman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:19 pm

Bring it on and bring your college track scholarships and maybe a little tax reform with you. Also...make sure you get the Toronto Blue Jays to play "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the seventh inning stretch instead of that dumbass song, "OK, Blue Jays." Don't mess with hockey or curling if you know what's good for you.

cman
cullman

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:01 pm

bad hammy wrote:Edit: and the funny/sad thing about this story on trade issues is that 99% of Americans don't have any idea it is one (a story, that is).

Hey, it made it to the top of CNN's home page. There is hope yet that another 2 or 3% of Americans will hear about this.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html
bad hammy

Postby mojo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:24 pm

bad hammy wrote:From that article:

Seventy-one per cent of respondents agreed with the statement: "I value and respect the United States and its citizens -- it's just that I disagree fundamentally with their government."

At the risk of getting this post or thread pulled, that's about the same as on this side of the border.

Edit: and the funny/sad thing about this story on trade issues is that 99% of Americans don't have any idea it is one (a story, that is).

I said just about the same thing but then deleted as I figured I'd save gh the trouble. :wink:
mojo

PreviousNext