Your first concert

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Your first concert

Postby DrJay » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:33 am

The local classic rock station DJs were having folks call in this morning with recollections of their first concert. Mine was Elton John, spring of 1976, eighth grade. It wasn't memorable for someone puking on me as I walked into the arena (happened to another friend at his first concert) or anything like that, but simply because it was a great show. Sold out, he played 2 1/2 hours and was really into it. Took my mind off my upcoming field day crucifixion over 880 by Jenny Martin (recall "Biggest Crowd" thread) for a little while. Also, first time I smelled the evil ganja weed.

What was your first concert and any good stories surrounding it?
DrJay

Re: Your first concert

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:50 am

The one I COULD have gone to - and half my friends did - was Woodstock! Sigh.

I didn't go to a rock concert till I arrived in the Bay Area in fall 1969, and to my everlasting embarrassment it was . . . Neil Diamond. I liked 'Solitary man' and 'Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show', but by the time I saw him he was heavily into his introspection phase and it really was rather dreadful for a 'rock concert'. Later that fall I saw Sly and the Family Stone and other better acts.

Best show ever - Van Halen with David Lee Roth - primal energy. By the time I got to see the Stones they were on their 'steel wheelchair' tour, but they still rocked.
tafnut

Postby pv22' » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:57 am

cheap trick when i was 8 in san fran. lots of weed is what i remember.
pv22'

Postby marknhj » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:09 am

and to my everlasting embarrassment it was . . . Neil Diamond.
>>>

Normally I'd suggest such an admission would deserve a 2 week ban; however, I recently discovered he wrote Red Red Wine (UB 40 covered, cost me $100 bet with Lani), so you're off the hook :)

My first major concert was Led Zepplin circa 1975.
marknhj

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:09 am

it was 1968, i was 15 and my "cool friend" and even cooler parents would drive us up to fillmore west in san francisco. a 45 min drive up the pennisula. i cant remember who we saw fisrt but it was among these performers- jeff beck with rod stewart, ten years after, albert king, john mayall and the blues breakers and later jimi hendrix and cream.
we were excited to see cream when one of them didnt show up for the first set. when they finally started playing my friend's dad showed up to take us home and we had to leave. we were leaving as they were playing one of their best songs crossroads. the one on the album. it was our sad exit music.
i remember standing right next to jeff beck as he walked to the stage and he was plunking on his les paul. i was struck how punny it sounded without an amp. THEN HE PLUGGED IN!!!!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:38 am

>>jeff beck with rod stewart<<

I woulda paid BigBux to see them together. "People Get Ready" is a phenomenal song and video.
tafnut

Postby wineturtle » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:45 am

The first concert I went to is lost to memory-But the first concert I worked on was the one my friends Gary Keys&Trudy Heller did-Supremes at Lincoln Center 15 Oct 1965-my job was as Garys assistant and I was in charge of the the post concert party held on the roof of the St. Moritz(I was also in charge of the non-liquid refreshments-Zacatecas Purple I'm pretty sure)
Top ticket was $6.80
We also did Chuck Berry and the Four Tops at Carnegie Hall,8 April '66 Same job title.Bringing that hated R&R to the doorsteps of the naysayers.
I think the top ticket was around 6 bucks also.
wineturtle

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:49 am

I'm guessing Rush and Nazareth and Nazareth was the headliner.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:53 am

I woulda paid BigBux to see them together. "People Get Ready" is a phenomenal song and video.

it was incredible. one of the best singers and guitar players of the day rockin out. "aint superstitous" was a wah wah drivin masterpiece. its a shame they didnt get along. i think it was beck's ego. they were invited to play woodstock but it was the end of theyre tour and they passed it up. so you and the jeff beck group almost convirged at a little concert called woodstock!
SQUACKEE

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:47 am

'Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show'

Nothing wrong with Neil Diamond and that is a great tune.
MJD

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:57 am

My first concert was seeing the Cowsills in 1972. Nothing memorable, whatsoever. My best concert is a tie between the Stones (1982) and UB40 (1995). The latter concert was most memorable from the way that the band seemed to be having such a great time. After each song they were high-fiving another as though they had just scored a goal.

In question is the Bruce Springsteen concert I attended in 1983. I am told I had a great time, but cannot resurrect the memories to corroborate this.
Kevin

Postby Vern » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:32 am

Ramones, July 77 in Penzance, England. I was 14 - also the first time I smelt weed too. I much preferred the support act - the mighty Talking Heads. Pop quiz - where was David Byrne born? No googling..
Vern

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:55 am

Vern,
Look at the Dylan thread for details of his site if you didn't know about it.
MJD

Postby Vern » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:04 am

>Vern,
Look at the Dylan thread for details of his site if you didn't know
>about it.

I didn't, thank you. I'd kept clear of the Dylan site because as my wife puts it, "It's pointless saying he can't sing and he's 60s, no-one else agrees with you!"

Memories can't wait.
Vern

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:17 am

he cant "sing". if you wanna hear singers watch american idol. he has an amazing "voice" that you either love or hate. it cuts right thru your heart or its annoying crap. neil young anyone?
who i love.
SQUACKEE

Postby Vern » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:33 am

>he cant "sing". if you wanna hear singers watch american idol. he has an
>amazing "voice" that you either love or hate. it cuts right thru your heart
>or its annoying crap. neil young anyone?
who i love.

Ilove Neil Young too, and Dylan doesn't cut through my heart. But the voice is important - I wouldn't like to hear Dylan sing "What's Going On", for example.
Last edited by Vern on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vern

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:39 am

To me, vocals is just more instrumentation. Never pay any attention to the lyrics. When I do actually read them or listen to them, I usually conclude that they are far from the poetry that the self-indulgent baby boomers think they are. Part of Dylan's schtick is his voice. Think about it. Anytime you sing one of his songs to yourself, you do it with his voice and inflection, not Frank Sinatra's.

Justice cannot be done to Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again unless Dylan is singing it.
Last edited by MJD on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:45 am

yeah baby, style is everything. david byrne cant sing that well but what a voice.
some great artist can also sing. frank sinatra.
SQUACKEE

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:49 am

Byrne is a very good example. Peter Gabriel wouldn't win any American Idol contests either. Luckily I saw Genesis before that band got destroyed by his departure.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:03 pm

gabriel is a bit scratchy at times but he is always right on key
SQUACKEE

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:09 pm

"I see faces and traces of home back in New York City..."
MJD

Postby MDC » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:14 pm

James Brown, 1968. Nothing like standing on your chair, throwing your first in the air, and singing "I'm Black and I'm Proud" when you're a white teenager. On the other hand, the man was amazing, the times were unique, and it was happily the first of many, many concerts and shows to come.
MDC

Postby DrJay » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:32 pm

>"I see faces and traces of home back in New York City..."

Gabriel's voice at it's best:

"Looking behind me, the water turns icy blue,
The lights are dimmed and once again the stage is set for you."
DrJay

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:36 pm

>James Brown, 1968. Nothing like standing on your chair, throwing your first in the air, and singing "I'm Black and I'm Proud" when you're a white teenager. On the other hand, the man was amazing, the times were unique, and it was happily the first of many, many concerts and shows to come.<
seen him 10 times. love the funk. the groove is what all distance runners seek. i got the feelin nah! ohhh good god!
SQUACKEE

Postby gm » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:48 pm

First concert? Probably one of the Wembley Country Music Festivals in the 70s. Great stuff that cemented my love for the genre.

For some reason, Deep Purple and Elton John played at my high school in London back in the day. I couldn't get far enough away from that bunch. Different tastes, I guess.

Saw the Pretenders in Austin at the Armadillo World HQ before it closed down, and stomped out my first "passed joint" there. I had no idea what it was and hated smoking, so I just dropped it and stepped on it. Ruined some stoner's night.

Other "memorable" concert outings: Diana Ross, Madonna, Ready for the World, Billy Ocean, Frankie Beverly and Maze, the Deele. If only I could go back and reclaim those wasted hours :)
gm

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:56 pm

and
>stomped out my first "passed joint" there. I had no idea what it was and
>hated smoking, so I just dropped it and stepped on it. Ruined some stoner's
>night.

TAFNY!
MJD

Postby lonewolf49 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Just curious, am I the only person here, perhaps in the world, who has never been to a live concert?
lonewolf49

Postby DrJay » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:49 pm

>Just curious, am I the only person here, perhaps in the world, who has never
>been to a live concert?

The Stones are on tour soon.
DrJay

Postby racewalker » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:20 am

Frank Zappa during the Grand Wazoo tour of 1972. I still have the t-shirt.
Last edited by racewalker on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
racewalker

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:52 am

Okay, I agree with earlier comments that neither Neil Young or Bob Dylan have great voices. But IMO, when they sing their own songs, they evince an emotional connection that no one else can show. Nicolette Larsen was good on "Lotta Love", but Neil's version truly showed what the song meant. And I qualify as a HUGE Neil fan.

But Vern, props to you for taking your maidenhead with the Ramones and the Talking Heads! Well played, my friend.
Kevin

Postby tafnut » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:30 am

>>Okay, I agree with earlier comments that neither Neil Young or Bob Dylan have great voices<<

Two words: Joe Cocker
tafnut

Postby cladthin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:19 am

Don't remember the exact year but it was early to mid 70's(I was very young) and I saw the 5th Dimension at the Michigan state fair. Later years saw Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Captain and Tenille, and Freddie Fender at the fair.
cladthin

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:47 am

>Two words: Joe Cocker

dont you be a messin with my cocker! one of the few white men who can get away with singing the blues. he is so beautiful to me.
SQUACKEE

Postby tafnut » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:14 am

>>he is so beautiful to me.<<

Then it is not just your aural capacities that have been compromised!
tafnut

Postby bad hammy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:37 am

1976. A Bill Graham ‘Day on the Green’ at the Oakland Coliseum. Peter Frampton (headlining on the success of his ‘Frampton Comes Alive’ megahit that spring), Fleetwood Mac, Garry Wright and UFO.

In googling to confirm the lineup, I came across an interview with Stevie Nicks who indicated that this concert was her most memorable day in music. Previous to this the biggest crowd she had played to was about 5,000. She says that playing to 70,000 (her number, may be a bit inflated) let her know she had made the big time.
bad hammy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:55 am

i saw the who's farwell concert at the oakland coliseum. circa 86? at least the said it was a farwell. it was great though.
SQUACKEE

Postby bad hammy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:05 am

squackee,

I saw the Who for the first time a few years ago in Sunnyvale. It was the second concert after John Entwistle died. Was never a big Who fan, but this one concert turned me around. It was the only concert I have ever been to (where seating was available) that everyone stood up from the get-go and never sat down. (And remember, the audience at this point is mostly old fogeys like me!) Over two hours of one hit after another. A GREAT concert . . .
bad hammy

Postby tafnut » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:33 am

>i saw the who's farwell concert<<

um . . . I think you misspelled 'far-out'. :-)
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:44 am

>um . . . I think you misspelled 'far-out'. :-)

sorry dude. i did a lot of acid in my hippie daze. it may not of even been the who that day. could have been neil diamond.....NOT!!!!!
SQUACKEE

Postby cullman » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:58 am

Wasn't much of a concert goer as a kid because I lived in the country. First concert was Muddy Waters at the Old Roller Rink in North Vancouver and saw a very drunk John Fahey there the next week. Best concert was Jeff Beck during his Blow By Blow tour and worst was Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer on the Wired tour. Saw Beck (Jeff, that is...not that other dude) at Massey Hall in 1999 and he still looks the same.

cman
cullman

Next