Dylan TV Alert

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Dylan TV Alert

Postby BruceFlorman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:15 am

From http://www.davidbyrne.com/radio/index.php ...

This month everyone and his brother salutes Bobby D. What with the Scorsese documentary, a contentious Starbucks CD and revelations from the vaults, the PR mill is humming, forcing us all to bow down before the altar of the old testament prophet and Jewish proto-rapper from Minnesota.

[The playlist will probably change sometime early next week, so listen soon if you're gonna.]
BruceFlorman

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:33 am

Very cool site!! Just bookmarked it to go to every month. I'd trust the judgement of anyone who wrote Once In A Lifetime any day of the week.
Last edited by MJD on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:09 am

> Just to put him into perspective - he was the #1 influence on the greatest
> musical & cultural phenomenon of the 20th C (whether you like it or else!) -
> The Beatles!

Hyperbole alert!! An influence in the mid-60’s, sure. #1 influence, get outta here.

Dylan’s first record was in 1962. The Beatles first was in 1963, sounding nothing like Dylan. The primary influence on both the Beatles and Dylan were (different) musicians from the 50’s. And in the mid 60’s there was a certain amount of cross-influencing going on between the two.

No doubt, both Dylan and the Beatles were two of the most significant and influential forces in the music of the second half of the 20th century (along with Elvis, maybe the top three, period).

As a jazz fan, though, don’t get me started on the most significant and influential forces in the music of all of the 20th century. The Beatles and Dylan are still there, but the list gets much bigger.
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:45 am

Look to the black musicians of the south in the 20s.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:49 am

it all came from the blues. jazz,rock, country,pop and rap.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:54 am

Damn-had to go to a meeting and missed all of these on the Byrne site-have to wait until it cycles all the way through again:

Tangled Up in Blue Bob Dylan
Tears of Rage The Band
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere The Byrds
Ring Them Bells Bob Dylan
Gotta Serve Somebody Bob Dylan
Tombstone Blues Bob Dylan
The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo) Manfred Mann
This Wheel's On Fire The band
All the Tired Horses Bob Dylan
Time Passes Slowly Bob Dylan
My Back Pages The Byrds
MJD

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:28 am

>>Hyperbole alert!! An influence in the mid-60’s, sure. #1>influence, get outta here.<<

I'm still heeeeeeere. And that's my story and I'm sticking with it!
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:38 am

beatles influenced music, clothin, art, album covers, recording techniques, movies, spirtuality, politics, sex, drugs and had at one time the top 5 songs on the radio. other than that they werent very important.
SQUACKEE

Postby MDC » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Some observations from watching Dylan . . . first, did you happen to notice that hardly any performer's teeth were "perfect" (i.e., not straight and certainly not bleached white), that the settings were stark so the music took center stage (how dare they go electric), and that no one seemed "too professional" when it came to both the press and those being interviewed?

If nothing else, the footage reminded me of a time when our celebrities were somewhat real if not approachable -- try hanging your arm into some quasi-star's limo today and asking for an autograph. Say what you will about indulgent boomers, I kinda miss the days when our athletes sold cars and insurance during the off season, our musicians had their artistic feuds without putting a contract out on their rivals (although the different versions of Pete Seger's cable chopping threat were hilarious), our news media would admit that they had never heard the music of the guy they were interviewing, and the songwriter would simply say that he had no idea what he meant but figured that years later somebody would analyze it to death and tell him what he was saying.

I enjoyed the heck out of the film and figure I'll hurry on down to Starbucks and Borders because I need the DVD, CD, and book -- because if nothing else I've left my idealistic roots behind me and grown up to be a consumer who's subject to integrated marketing ploys.
MDC

Postby bambam » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:39 pm

>>At the risk of sounding heretical, 'Rubber Soul' was much better melodies than Dylan ever produced. Lennon's lyrics never quite got to Dylan's level, but the song-writing 'with' McCartney was Bachesque (another heresy, I suppose).

I agree with tafnut on this one, and the last statement is not heretical. In fact, Leonard Bernstein once lauded Lennon/McCartney and said their songwriting was often the equivalent of Bach or other classicists.
bambam

Postby bambam » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:42 pm

>Most of the latter half of the twentieth century(at least on the international level) unfolded the way it did because of the meetings between Uncle Joe, FDR and Churchill during the war.

Actually a lot of it goes back even further - to the Paris Peace Conference in 1919 at the end of WWI
bambam

Postby mojo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:45 pm

As this is a music thread and I don't want to start a new one- any Neil Young fans here?
Anyone have his new CD? It is getting good reviews but I haven't heard it yet.
Harvest" is one of my DH's all time fav records(I like it but not in my top favs)
and people are saying this new one "Prairie Wind" is along those lines.
mojo

Postby Django » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:04 pm

This thread brings back memories: I was about 20, and wrangled a date with a beautiful blonde, who wanted to drive up to Asbury Park, NJ, to hear Joan Baez ( I was working a summer job in NJ, and cared much more about Duke Ellington, or Thelonious Monk-- but the testosterone kicked in, so I said , "Sure").
In mid-concert, Joan Baez said something about a "special guest", and it turned out to be Bob Dylan. Didn't like him then , and don't now. I've often wondered how people like Harold Arlen have been forgotten, but Dylan is held in such high esteem. (By the way,ever read the poems of Dylan Thomas, and then lookd at Bob Dylan's lyrics?).
Django

Postby gh » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:34 am

Show happened while I was on vacation, so missed it, but after finally getting around to reading this review, guess I'll have to scare up a copy

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 01&sc=1000
gh

Postby gh » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:54 am

WOO-HOOO!!! WOW!!!!!

What an incredible-incredible chunk of history revisited (and/or explored for the first time). Repeated chills up and down my spine kind of thing (helps if you're of an age of course). I hated it when it ended. Can see I'll have to get the DVD and deconstruct it further.

The tape I borrowed also had a 20-minute tag-on interview w/ Scorsese that was perhaps a bit too self-indulgently analytical, but definitely added to the process.

Here's a terrific (long) analysis of the show:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro ... -0538.html
gh

Postby gh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:37 am

Oh yeah---as an inveterate watcher of credits, it was a neat one they tried to slip by us..... somebody listed as "hypnotist collector"!
gh

Postby MJD » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:56 pm

BruceFlorman wrote:From http://www.davidbyrne.com/radio/index.php ...

This month everyone and his brother salutes Bobby D. What with the Scorsese documentary, a contentious Starbucks CD and revelations from the vaults, the PR mill is humming, forcing us all to bow down before the altar of the old testament prophet and Jewish proto-rapper from Minnesota.

[The playlist will probably change sometime early next week, so listen soon if you're gonna.]

Look at this month's playlist:

Double Dutch Bus Frankie Smith
You Dropped The Bomb The Gap Band
Oh Sheila Ready For The World
Mary Jane Rick James
Dazz Brick
Push It Salt-N-Pepa
Love Rollercoaster Ohio Players
Got To Be Real Cheryl Lynn
Pop It One Way
Tonight The Whispers
A Lover's Holiday Change
Backstrokin The Fatback Band
Shame Evelyne Champagne King
Brick House Commodores
Forget Me Nots Patrice Rushen
Watching You Slave
Word Up Cameo
Call Me Skyy
Meeting In The Ladies Room Klymaxx
Love Come Down Evelyn "Champagne" King
Last Night A DJ Saved My Life Indeep
Let's Get Serious Jermaie Jackson
We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off Jermaine Stewart
Time Stone
Doo Wa Ditty (Blow That Thing) Zapp
Beat Box (Diversion One) The Art Of Noise
Jungle Love The Time
The Glamorous Life Sheila E.
White Horse Laid Back
You Are In My System The System
Dance Floor Zapp & Roger
More Bounce To The Ounce Zapp & Roger
Band Of Gold Freda Payne
Maybe The Three Degrees

Great stuff. Probably drive squack nuts though-hardly a guitar in sight. Been trying to find that Patrice Rushen song for years. In the movie Big.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:19 pm

>Probably drive squack nuts though<

im afraid ive already arrived at that destination my old friend.
SQUACKEE

Postby cullman » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:50 pm

MJD wrote:Great stuff. Probably drive squack nuts though-hardly a guitar in sight.

Au contraire..."Love Rollercoaster" by Ohio Players has one of the truly great opening guitar riffs.

cman
cullman

Postby MJD » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:52 pm

That's why I said "hardly". The site is about to stream Shame which is a classic.
MJD

Postby gh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:04 pm

For Bay Area Dylan fans (from SF Chron site):

<<Dylan Revisited
Cultural critic and Dylan-o-phile Greil Marcus ("Mystery Train," "Lipstick Traces," "Old Weird America") knows how to pick apart a song, especially a Bob Dylan song: In his recent book "Like A Rolling Stone," he spends 283 pages examining the six-and-a-half-minute hit from 1965. With his comprehensive knowledge of American popular and political history, Marcus is like that fascinating, eccentric favorite professor you had in college, practically logorrheic with idiosyncratic musings. On Monday evening, Marcus will give an open-to-the-public talk at St. Mary's College, focusing on Dylan's early protest song "Masters of War," hosted by poet and musician (and former St. Mary's prof) Chris Stroffolino, followed by what is sure to be a colorful Q&A. -- Jan Richman, special to SF Gate
St Mary's College, 1928 Saint Mary's Rd., Moraga; 7 pm; free; (925) 631-4000.>>
gh

Postby bad hammy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info - that is a definite possibility (the price is right, and it is very close by). mrs. hammy hates Dylan, though, so I will probably have to go solo.
bad hammy

Next