Dylan TV Alert

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Dylan TV Alert

Postby Walt Murphy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:19 pm

For all you Bob Dylan fans out there, the first of two parts of "No Direction Home"(directed by Martin Scorsese), a chronicle of Dylan's early years (1961-1966), makes its premiere tonight on PBS at 9pm. The second part airs tomorrow night. It's must-see TV at its best for those who care.
Walt Murphy

Re: Dylan TV Alert

Postby twittering debutante » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:35 pm

Thanks Walt! You are one cool cat.

Why not stop by the crib tonight and we'll get our groove on while watching Dylan on PBS, Walt?
twittering debutante

Postby MJD » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:07 pm

Already worth the price of admission and it just started! "How does it feel..."
MJD

Postby tafnut » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:45 pm

Taped it last night and will edit it with tonight's. This will be a popular DVD set, I bet.
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:54 pm

heard it was amazing. jimi hendrix's favorite songwriter!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby cullman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:04 pm

First part had terrific archival footage of Dave Van Ronk, a very young Maria Muldaur, fans heckling Dylan and the Band, etc. Good interviews too.

cman
cullman

Postby tafnut » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Just to put him into perspective - he was the #1 influence on the greatest musical & cultural phenomenon of the 20th C (whether you like it or else!) - The Beatles!
tafnut

Postby paulthefan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:25 pm

or he perhaps he is the greatest cultural phenomenon of the 20th century.

>Just to put him into perspective - he was the #1 influence on the greatest
>musical & cultural phenomenon of the 20th C (whether you like it or else!) -
>The Beatles!
paulthefan

Postby MJD » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:27 pm

He sings and writes nice ditties. Let's not get too carried away here.
Last edited by MJD on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:11 pm

>He sings and writes nice ditties. Let's not get too carried away here.<

You underestimate the influence the role of culture in our lives, sir!

Can you estimate the degradation of YOUR life if there were no more music? No movies? No TV? These are 'merely' facets of our culture.
tafnut

Postby Irwin M. Fletcher » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:14 pm

>No movies?

NO MOVIES??

ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

;)
Irwin M. Fletcher

Postby paulthefan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:42 pm

my favorite Dylan album was always Blood on the tracks... when I first got it I was in shock.. had just finished blondeonblonde and thought it was great, didnt think anything could beat it... but then blood on the tracks came and I thought it was eons beyond anything I had ever heard before.. nothing even by Dylan to me has ever approached it... I liked his christian albums too... and his early stuff was obviously brilliant... but Blood on the Tracks was his most brilliant ... and that is saying alot.
Last edited by paulthefan on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulthefan

Postby bambam » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:08 pm

>He sings and writes nice ditties.

He writes great ditties. He can't sing at all. Covers of his songs are great, but I can't listen to too much of his yodeling.
bambam

Postby bambam » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 pm

>but Blood on the Tracks was his most brilliant ... and that is saying alot.

Agree
bambam

Postby gm » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:45 pm

>Just to put him into perspective - he was the #1 influence on the greatest
>musical & cultural phenomenon of the 20th C (whether you like it or else!) -
>The Beatles!

Oh, puhhhhhhleeeeeeez.
Some would argue that point to the death.
The Beatles are not everyone's cuppa. I certainly don't care for them much.
The King is every bit as worthy of that designation as those haircut-needin' hippies from over there...
gm

Postby patriarch (AKA dr ngo) » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:37 pm

>>He sings and writes nice ditties.

He writes great ditties. He can't sing
>at all. Covers of his songs are great, but I can't listen to too much of his
>yodeling.

Actually, in his early albums the voice, though gratingly distinctive, is at least singing the melody, after a fashion - though I agree with those who prefer "covers" of many of his songs.

I heard him a couple of years ago on tour (with Paul Simon) and realized that on the old numbers he's no longer even _trying_ to sing the tune. He's entirely into some strange harmonies (?) which don't work too badly IF the audience is old enough (as I am) to "supply" the melody themselves. Weird, but oddly compelling, as Bob always was, 1963 or 2003.
patriarch (AKA dr ngo)

Postby Walt Murphy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:15 am

>He sings and writes nice ditties. Let's not get too carried away here.

For better or worse, people like Dylan, Baez, Phil Ochs, Tom Paxton, et al, had a major influence on this young kid from Brooklyn.

I was a regular patron of the Gaslight way back when, but, sadly, after Dylan had gone on to bigger and better things.

I remember very well how the booing at the post-Newport concert at Forest Hills stopped while everyone sang along on "Like a Rolling Stone".

The last time I saw Dylan was at Madison Square Garden a few years ago. Hardly recognized the songs the way he was singing them. Worst of all, I got busted for "scalping" an extra ticket(trying to get less than face value)!

The shows will be repeated (back-to-back) on Saturday night as part of PBS' fund-raiser. Don't know the time.
Walt Murphy

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:18 am

the beatles rubber soul album was a largely an attempt to sound like dylan. at least lennon songs were. so says john.
SQUACKEE

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:32 am

Here is my take on the show, for what it's worth, and I am sure it will be the minority report. It can be summed up in my first post referencing his big hit. I got a little tired of Baez endlessly deconstructing their love affair. The beatniks trying to turn him into a revolutionary didn't get it either. He wasn't interested. For him, it was about the ditties. Obviously though, he was conflicted about the role people thrust on him hence the title of the documentary. "I want to play Carnegie Hall." Highlight for me was the part about the recording of "Like A Rolling Stone". Al Kooper sneaks his way on to the organ and has to hold up a beat all the time to make sure he gets the chord because that wasn't his instrument. "Turn up the organ" Dylan says while listening to the tapes. "He's not an organ player" the producer says. Kooper's immitation of him was priceless. "I don't care. Turn it up." I'll never listen to the song the same way again. That's the kind of stuff I was interested in.
MJD

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:36 am

>the beatles rubber soul album was a largely an attempt to sound like dylan. at >least lennon songs were. so says john.<<

At the risk of sounding heretical, 'Rubber Soul' was much better melodies than Dylan ever produced. Lennon's lyrics never quite got to Dylan's level, but the song-writing 'with' McCartney was Bachesque (another heresy, I suppose).
tafnut

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:46 am

>>Just to put him into perspective - he was the #1 influence on the
>greatest
>musical & cultural phenomenon of the 20th C (whether you like it or
>else!) -
>The Beatles!

Oh, puhhhhhhleeeeeeez.
Some would argue that point
>to the death.
The Beatles are not everyone's cuppa. I certainly don't care for
>them much.
The King is every bit as worthy of that designation as those
>haircut-needin' hippies from over there...

My self-indulgent fellow baby boomers think they invented everything, gm.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:50 am

there is no bigger beatle fan than me. 2 of among the best pop songwriters of the 20th century in the same band! and dont forget george- something, while my guitar gentily weeps, here comes the sun, tax man and others.

the beauty of art is that everybody is right. its not science its art. if you think the beatles suck than they suck. i respect everyone's view on da arts even if theyre completely wrong!!
Last edited by SQUACKEE on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SQUACKEE

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:03 am

>>My>self-indulgent fellow baby boomers think they invented everything, gm.<

Um . . . they (we) DID invent the culture of the latter parts of the 20th C., which we are still 'in', so to speak. Brokaw thinks the WW2 generation was the greatest, whereas I think they 'just' (gross understatement) did what they thought they were supposed to. Starting in the 60s, the new generation (for better or worse - I think MUCH better - but then again, I is 1) got outside the box and reinvented the western world. We won't be able to sort all this out till 2150, by which time we'll all be 'dust in the wind'! :-)
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:17 am

there was a renaissance in the 60's which the beatles were a huge part of. i dont think this is debateable but maybe im wrong.
SQUACKEE

Postby FrankS » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:01 am

When he wanted to, Dylan could sing very well. For example, compare his singing of "The House of the Rising Sun" with The Animals' version. Dylan's interpretation is full of subtle, understated folkie twists and turns. In comparison, Eric ( The Animals) Burdon virtually shouts his way through the number. I've not listened to Dylan much since the mid-60s, but for a while back then, he meant a lot to me.
FrankS

Postby Kurt Francis » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:14 am

I for one will be glad when the '60's self-absorbed, self-indulgent generation will be too old to mouth their doggeral anymore.
Kurt Francis

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:30 am

>I for one will be glad when the '60's self-absorbed, self-indulgent generation >will be too old to mouth their doggeral anymore.<

EVERY generation is self-absorbed and self-indulgent - thinks 'theirs' was the least hypocritical - thinks the ones preceding were clueless and the ones following are going to 'hell in a hand-basket'. It's just human nature.

The only thing I think 'my' (60s) generation did different(ly) is shift the paradigm a little more than average. I think tolerance for 'differences' expanded, the -isms were dealt with more openly, and the nation's 'consciousness' was raised to a little higher degree than previous ones - the 'sex, drugs and rock'n'roll phase' was just a different way of expressing the age-old determination to rebel and establish one's own identity separate from what had gone before.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

ad infinitum . . .
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:36 am

i think the 60's got alot of things wrong. its not cool to lay around all day on drugs dude! love isnt free. like anything else it requires work. anything worthwhile requires work. work is not a four letter word! but they got some things right which we still value today. hope this isnt too political.
SQUACKEE

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:51 am

Most of the latter half of the twentieth century(at least on the international level) unfolded the way it did because of the meetings between Uncle Joe, FDR and Churchill during the war.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:03 am

but joey sucked as a blues singer. winston was a damn good bass player when he was sober, and frankie could play the harp like a ringing a bell.
SQUACKEE

Postby BruceFlorman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:15 am

From http://www.davidbyrne.com/radio/index.php ...

This month everyone and his brother salutes Bobby D. What with the Scorsese documentary, a contentious Starbucks CD and revelations from the vaults, the PR mill is humming, forcing us all to bow down before the altar of the old testament prophet and Jewish proto-rapper from Minnesota.

[The playlist will probably change sometime early next week, so listen soon if you're gonna.]
BruceFlorman

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:33 am

Very cool site!! Just bookmarked it to go to every month. I'd trust the judgement of anyone who wrote Once In A Lifetime any day of the week.
Last edited by MJD on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJD

Postby bad hammy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:09 am

> Just to put him into perspective - he was the #1 influence on the greatest
> musical & cultural phenomenon of the 20th C (whether you like it or else!) -
> The Beatles!

Hyperbole alert!! An influence in the mid-60’s, sure. #1 influence, get outta here.

Dylan’s first record was in 1962. The Beatles first was in 1963, sounding nothing like Dylan. The primary influence on both the Beatles and Dylan were (different) musicians from the 50’s. And in the mid 60’s there was a certain amount of cross-influencing going on between the two.

No doubt, both Dylan and the Beatles were two of the most significant and influential forces in the music of the second half of the 20th century (along with Elvis, maybe the top three, period).

As a jazz fan, though, don’t get me started on the most significant and influential forces in the music of all of the 20th century. The Beatles and Dylan are still there, but the list gets much bigger.
bad hammy

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:45 am

Look to the black musicians of the south in the 20s.
MJD

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:49 am

it all came from the blues. jazz,rock, country,pop and rap.
SQUACKEE

Postby MJD » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:54 am

Damn-had to go to a meeting and missed all of these on the Byrne site-have to wait until it cycles all the way through again:

Tangled Up in Blue Bob Dylan
Tears of Rage The Band
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere The Byrds
Ring Them Bells Bob Dylan
Gotta Serve Somebody Bob Dylan
Tombstone Blues Bob Dylan
The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo) Manfred Mann
This Wheel's On Fire The band
All the Tired Horses Bob Dylan
Time Passes Slowly Bob Dylan
My Back Pages The Byrds
MJD

Postby tafnut » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:28 am

>>Hyperbole alert!! An influence in the mid-60’s, sure. #1>influence, get outta here.<<

I'm still heeeeeeere. And that's my story and I'm sticking with it!
tafnut

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:38 am

beatles influenced music, clothin, art, album covers, recording techniques, movies, spirtuality, politics, sex, drugs and had at one time the top 5 songs on the radio. other than that they werent very important.
SQUACKEE

Postby MDC » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Some observations from watching Dylan . . . first, did you happen to notice that hardly any performer's teeth were "perfect" (i.e., not straight and certainly not bleached white), that the settings were stark so the music took center stage (how dare they go electric), and that no one seemed "too professional" when it came to both the press and those being interviewed?

If nothing else, the footage reminded me of a time when our celebrities were somewhat real if not approachable -- try hanging your arm into some quasi-star's limo today and asking for an autograph. Say what you will about indulgent boomers, I kinda miss the days when our athletes sold cars and insurance during the off season, our musicians had their artistic feuds without putting a contract out on their rivals (although the different versions of Pete Seger's cable chopping threat were hilarious), our news media would admit that they had never heard the music of the guy they were interviewing, and the songwriter would simply say that he had no idea what he meant but figured that years later somebody would analyze it to death and tell him what he was saying.

I enjoyed the heck out of the film and figure I'll hurry on down to Starbucks and Borders because I need the DVD, CD, and book -- because if nothing else I've left my idealistic roots behind me and grown up to be a consumer who's subject to integrated marketing ploys.
MDC

Postby bambam » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:39 pm

>>At the risk of sounding heretical, 'Rubber Soul' was much better melodies than Dylan ever produced. Lennon's lyrics never quite got to Dylan's level, but the song-writing 'with' McCartney was Bachesque (another heresy, I suppose).

I agree with tafnut on this one, and the last statement is not heretical. In fact, Leonard Bernstein once lauded Lennon/McCartney and said their songwriting was often the equivalent of Bach or other classicists.
bambam

Next