Sampras v Federer

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Sampras v Federer

Postby Infama » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:03 pm

El D.

More like 3 to 4 strokes for the backhand to breakdown.

Fed is a far better returner than Pete.

It would have been great matches, but the game moves on and the Express would crack the Pistol.
Infama

Postby Cyril » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Cyril, maybe you can get your son to
>start playing tennis if he gets tired of soccer and you can't convince him that
>track is good:o) He'll have a leg up on everybody because of his foot eye
>coordination from soccer (McEnroe had it!) and his track ability.

Thanks, we have played around a little on the tennis court. I think it may be the best all-round individual sport. But, unfortunately, tennis also has an image problem around here (as I mentioned in the soccer thread track has an image problem too). One of my son's soccer coaches went as far as telling the kids "if you don't want to work hard get off the soccer pitch and go play that sissy sport, tennis". Obviously the guy was a moron, but many of the kids around here think it is a sport for girls or rich sissy boys.

This Jr. High thing is throwing me for a loop. The kids are so influenced by their friends most of whom have been fed a diet of football, baseball and basketball, that getting them to even consider being an individual is next to impossible. At least soccer involves a considerable amount of running and he is very interested in playing the game the right way - not kick and run boom-ball, but controlled possession soccer.

I'll have to wait and see what happens next year when he gets to high school.
Cyril

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:07 pm

i think its a shame that federer doesnt have another player on or near his level right now. maybe it will happen later but it would be great for the sport. who will it be?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bambam » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:27 am

>i think its a shame that federer doesnt have another player on or near his level right now. maybe it will happen later but it would be great for the sport. who will it be?

Nadal
bambam

Previous