Bruce Dern

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Bruce Dern

Postby Bob Duncan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 pm

I just read a great story called Racing With Bruce Dern: A Memoir from Bright Lights Film Journal. He's up for Best Actor in Nebraska.

Here's a good quote from the essay. Some of us might relate...
I took him at face value, however, and judged him to be authentic: a rebel whose outsider credentials were in good order. Track was therefore the perfect sport for him, especially distance running, which has a rich vein of natural angst that makes it ideal for brooding nonconformists and troubled spirits. Those of us who ran the most punishing distances saw ourselves as beyond the pale, a periphery from which we looked back wistfully but condescendingly on normal lives. Born to suffer, we suffered from the pain of training, and from neglect: no one save the odd guilty parent or dragooned classmate ever came to watch us.
See http://brightlightsfilm.com/blog/racing-bruce-dern-memoir/7398?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+brightlightsfilm+%28BLFJ%29#.UvxKP5WYapo
Bob Duncan

Re: Bruce Dern

Postby jhc68 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Nice column on Dern written by a track savvy Santa Barbara journalist during the recent film festival here.
http://www.independent.com/news/2014/feb/06/bruce-dern-goes-distance/
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Hard to believe Dern was born with a pure silver spoon in his mouth and had Eleanor Roosevelt as a God-mother. Maybe his character was molded by fighting that. I don't think he'll win the Oscar though. McConaughey has a lock on that.
jeremyp

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:53 pm

This is it! Gotta pull for THE MAN tonight at the Oscar Awards!!!!
Bob Duncan

Postby scottmitchell74 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:48 pm

jeremyp wrote:Hard to believe Dern was born with a pure silver spoon in his mouth and had Eleanor Roosevelt as a God-mother. Maybe his character was molded by fighting that. I don't think he'll win the Oscar though. McConaughey has a lock on that.

Good call!
scottmitchell74