Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Marlow wrote:
user4 wrote:
Marlow wrote: My opinion is that 'any' is too much, though I do acknowledge the necessity of industrialization in this modern world. :D

Those two clauses, statements contradict each other.

You're being waaay too literal. Literary license allows (demands?) an emphatic statement for effect. The astute reader is to infer its actual scope and intent.


Wow, you are beginning to sound like a politician :wink:
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 am

odelltrclan wrote:Wow, you are beginning to sound like a politician :wink:

You take that back!!! :cry:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby user4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:50 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Marlow wrote:
user4 wrote:
Marlow wrote: My opinion is that 'any' is too much, though I do acknowledge the necessity of industrialization in this modern world. :D

Those two clauses, statements contradict each other.

You're being waaay too literal. Literary license allows (demands?) an emphatic statement for effect. The astute reader is to infer its actual scope and intent.


Wow, you are beginning to sound like a politician :wink:


Actually this helps.. I now know to read Marlow's posts as poetry. :D

My own opinion is that it is healthful for me to conserve in my private economic decision. I take shorter showers, I recycle, I do all those things that I consider to be economically and personally frugal because it reinforces in my life order and discipline that has greater value for my family. However I have no illusion that it matters one bit to the health of the planet or that it will make a perceptible difference in the lives of people on the other side of the planet. It wont. Even perfect totalitarian control by a board of scientists will not change the course of the earth one bit. The Earth has been here for 4 billion years, and over that time it has slowly morphed from a ball of hot molten material to this now cooler planet .. industrial man has been here for only the last 2 hundred years.

As for the anthropogenic global hot air syndrome, we have had shaman and high priest gas bags for 20 thousand years. It is just that in the last 20 years they can jet around the globe like the rich and famous, self promote and make a fabulous profit selling a guilt trip.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:56 am

user4 wrote:I have no illusion that it matters one bit to the health of the planet or that it will make a perceptible difference in the lives of people on the other side of the planet. It wont.

Your one contribution is not alone. In concert with many others, a large difference will be made.

Thus spake the poetaster :wink:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby kuha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 am

user4 wrote:As for the anthropogenic global hot air syndrome, we have had shaman and high priest gas bags for 20 thousand years. It is just that in the last 20 years they can jet around the globe like the rich and famous, self promote and make a fabulous profit selling a guilt trip.


This line of argument is always laughably unconvincing. If you want to talk about economic motivations, then you really need to go where the money is: the global fossil fuel industry. Compared to their economic incentives for maintaing the status quo, the supposed "greed" of a few hundred academics doesn't even register.
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby user4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 am

kuha wrote:
user4 wrote:As for the anthropogenic global hot air syndrome, we have had shaman and high priest gas bags for 20 thousand years. It is just that in the last 20 years they can jet around the globe like the rich and famous, self promote and make a fabulous profit selling a guilt trip.


This line of argument is always laughably unconvincing. If you want to talk about economic motivations, then you really need to go where the money is: the global fossil fuel industry. Compared to their economic incentives for maintaing the status quo, the supposed "greed" of a few hundred academics doesn't even register.


I view some of the scientific academics on this topic as like a few cloistered pauper monks, measuring small temperature changes as profound and moral movements of the heavens. That their extrapolations serve the high priesthood that doles out chump change to them is just a coincidence.

I view the global fossil fuel industry leaders as capable of making a fortune with the millionaire high priests of global warming as a given. Expect Exxon and BP to be "good steward" advocates for a carbon tax near you. The status quo is whatever makes them the most and they can create the tide and role with it.

If the population can be convinced that a light bulb needs to be an expensive contraption with material components that can not even be disposed of without a license so as to save the earth they can be convinced of just about anything and be made to pay for it.

If I sound cynical it is only because I am old and have watched these western civilization shaman dances through many cycles.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 am

user4 wrote:If I sound cynical it is only because I am old and have watched these western civilization shaman dances through many cycles.

I am very impressed with your straw man arguments, logically fallacious as they are. At least you're fun to read! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby user4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 am

Marlow wrote:
user4 wrote:If I sound cynical it is only because I am old and have watched these western civilization shaman dances through many cycles.

I am very impressed with your straw man arguments, logically fallacious as they are. At least you're fun to read! :D


I like you too Marlow. I really do.. now since you have demonstrated time and time again that you are skilled in both the art of poetry and the visual art of portraying trained logicians I take that as a complement. :D
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby gh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 am

The boffins are growing bolder in their assessments. This from today:

<<WASHINGTON (AP) — A study of a dozen of 2012's wildest weather events found that man-made global warming increased the likelihood of about half of them, including Superstorm Sandy's devastating surge and the blistering U.S. summer heat.

The other half — including a record wet British summer and the U.S. drought last year — simply reflected the random freakiness of weather, researchers with the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the British meteorological office concluded in a report issued Thursday.

The scientists conducted thousands of runs of different computer simulations that looked at various factors, such as moisture in the air, atmospheric flow, and sea temperature and level.

The approach represents an evolution in the field. Scientists used to say that individual weather events — a specific hurricane or flood, for example — cannot be attributed to climate change....>>

http://www.weather.com/news/science/env ... s-20130905
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby DrJay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Gonna start building an ark when I'm done with this post. Incessant rain in the region today, to continue through the night. US 24, my way from home to work and back, closed most of today and now and no doubt through noon tomorrow due to the threat of flooding (and it may be suffering that now) from the rain falling on the Waldo Canyon fire burn scar (June 2012). 24 has been closed some seven times so far this summer. Flooded twice, saw the threat of flooding the other times. Drove 90 minutes the long way on dirt roads through the hills this afternoon to get home (vs the usual 30). Will reverse that in the a.m. What a mess. Fountain Creek, normal a nice little stream 30 feet wide and a foot or two deep paralleling I-25 in the Springs, is probably running class IV rapids right now.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby DrJay » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 am

More rain today. The northern part of the state has really taken a beating, like 500-year flood material. Not so bad here, except in the canyons on the west side of town. Looks like widespread rain right now in the Denver-Boulder area.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Daisy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:36 pm

I have a theory about global warming and why people think it's real. Go back 30, 40 years when there was much less air conditioning in the country. When you didn't have air conditioning and you left the house, it may in fact have gotten a little cooler out there, because sometimes houses become hot boxes. Especially if you're on the second or third floor of a house in the summer time and all you've got is open windows and maybe a window fan. Or you have some servant standing there fanning you with a piece of paper. When you walked outside, no big deal, it's still hot as hell. Now, 30, 40 years later, all this air conditioning, and it's a huge difference when you go outside. When you go outside now, my golly, is it hot. Oh. Global warming. It's all about the baseline you're using for comparison.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby lonewolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Daisy may be onto something with individual perception of relative heat but in the greater scheme of things with lots of people keeping track of temperatures all over the world, I think the only ironclad conclusion we can reach is that weather is cyclic. It gets hot in summer, cold in winter and hotter and colder some years than others.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record;

Natural catastrophic events (eg..Krakota) affect weather world wide for years or decades. Vast areas of the earth have changed from green to desert in recorded time (eg.North Africa) Seaport cities are now underwater (Alexandria) or inland in the 200,000 years since humans occupied the earth.
The earth has been warming, with periodic centuries long intermissions, for 12,000 -15,000 years since the the retreat of the last Ice Age blanketed the northern hemisphere as far south as Kansas, raising sea level 300-400 feet.
Miami and New York may be under water in a thousand or ten thousand years. Or never. Earth may experience a polar reversal next year or in a million years. Ozone layers wax and wane. Solar flares most influence weather on earth and there ain't a dang thing we can do about it.

Relax and enjoy it. Mankind will adapt.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby jeremyp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 am

lonewolf wrote:Daisy may be onto something with individual perception of relative heat but in the greater scheme of things with lots of people keeping track of temperatures all over the world, I think the only ironclad conclusion we can reach is that weather is cyclic. It gets hot in summer, cold in winter and hotter and colder some years than others.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record;

Natural catastrophic events (eg..Krakota) affect weather world wide for years or decades. Vast areas of the earth have changed from green to desert in recorded time (eg.North Africa) Seaport cities are now underwater (Alexandria) or inland in the 200,000 years since humans occupied the earth.
The earth has been warming, with periodic centuries long intermissions, for 12,000 -15,000 years since the the retreat of the last Ice Age blanketed the northern hemisphere as far south as Kansas, raising sea level 300-400 feet.
Miami and New York may be under water in a thousand or ten thousand years. Or never. Earth may experience a polar reversal next year or in a million years. Ozone layers wax and wane. Solar flares most influence weather on earth and there ain't a dang thing we can do about it.

Relax and enjoy it. Mankind will adapt.

Spoken like a true octogenarian. What me worry?
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby lonewolf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:31 pm

jeremyp wrote:[Spoken like a true octogenarian. What me worry?


:) Touche. However, I come from a long line of centurnarians and refuse to fret for another twenty years. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby user4 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm

lonewolf wrote:At the risk of sounding like a broken record;
Vast areas of the earth have changed from green to desert in recorded time (eg.North Africa) Seaport cities are now underwater (Alexandria) or inland in the 200,000 years since humans occupied the earth.
The earth has been warming, with periodic centuries long intermissions, for 12,000 -15,000 years since the the retreat of the last Ice Age blanketed the northern hemisphere as far south as Kansas, raising sea level 300-400 feet.
Miami and New York may be under water in a thousand or ten thousand years. Or never. Earth may experience a polar reversal next year or in a million years. Ozone layers wax and wane. Solar flares most influence weather on earth and there ain't a dang thing we can do about it.

Relax and enjoy it. Mankind will adapt.


As a supporter of the earth I try not to get all wrapped around the axle over things that happen on thousand or million year time scales. I save the deep thinking for 100million and billion year time scales. Just doing my share.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby kuha » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:28 pm

jeremyp wrote:Spoken like a true octogenarian. What me worry?


Yes, an octogenarian Alfred E. Neuman. Lonewolf is a professional in the fossil fuel industry and very nicely conveys their official point of view on the matter--"everything is just fine, please let's continue with business as usual, etc." I give way more credibility to the 97% of the scientific community (no sarcastic scare quotes needed there) who feel very differently about the issue.
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 pm

97% :shock: Sounds like a third-world election result..and about as valid. Almost makes me smug about being in the elite 3%. :)

As Yogi Berra wisely said, "You can observe a lot by just looking."

I have been looking for a long time and made some observations. I am not spouting industry mantra nor do I follow the logic that Big Oil somehow profits by buying into the carbon credit scam, which defies reason that shuffling paper credits can influence world climate..

Nor do I understand the disdain for fossil fuel which made possible the Industrial Revolution and the internal combustion engine we putter around in today. Oil companies, fortunately, make a lot of money because it takes a lot of money to find more oil/gas.What people overlook is the risk and that the ROI is among the lowest in any industry.

Forty years ago, conventional wisdom Chicken Littles were bemoaning the coming Ice Age. Did not happen, did it? Short term aberrations of weather mean nothing.
I have repeatedly acknowledged that Earth has been warming, without man's influence, for 15,000 years and will continue to do so until it doesn't.
I am not trying to persuade anyone to agree with me. It makes no difference to me.The end result will be the same, whatever man does or does not do.
And none of use will live to see who was right.
Peace out.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 am

Here's one guy's reaction to climate change:

http://news.yahoo.com/meteorologist-vow ... 14509.html
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:45 am

lonewolf wrote:97% :shock: Sounds like a third-world election result..and about as valid. Almost makes me smug about being in the elite 3%. :)

I think a better analogy is that of the 1500s, after the initial waves of global exploration, when 3% still insisted the world was flat and the sun 'traveled' across the sky every day . . . :twisted:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 am

Marlow wrote:I think a better analogy is that of the 1500s, after the initial waves of global exploration, when 3% still insisted . . . the sun 'traveled' across the sky every day . . . :twisted:

It doesn't? It sure looks that way. :)
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:36 am

tandfman wrote:It sure looks that way. :)

Have you ever looked right into the sun? Try, you'll notice it's actually a chariot. Driving that thing but be a pretty boring job.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

Daisy wrote:
tandfman wrote:It sure looks that way. :)

Driving that thing but be a pretty boring job.

It's outsourced to New York City taxi drivers now, hence the occasional outburst of solar flares when they get a fit of pique.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby user4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

lonewolf wrote:97% :shock: Sounds like a third-world election result..and about as valid. Almost makes me smug about being in the elite 3%. :)

As Yogi Berra wisely said, "You can observe a lot by just looking."

I have been looking for a long time and made some observations. I am not spouting industry mantra nor do I follow the logic that Big Oil somehow profits by buying into the carbon credit scam, which defies reason that shuffling paper credits can influence world climate..

Nor do I understand the disdain for fossil fuel which made possible the Industrial Revolution and the internal combustion engine we putter around in today. Oil companies, fortunately, make a lot of money because it takes a lot of money to find more oil/gas.What people overlook is the risk and that the ROI is among the lowest in any industry.

Forty years ago, conventional wisdom Chicken Littles were bemoaning the coming Ice Age. Did not happen, did it? Short term aberrations of weather mean nothing.
I have repeatedly acknowledged that Earth has been warming, without man's influence, for 15,000 years and will continue to do so until it doesn't.


If use of fossil fuels could grant the totalitarian statist more cash they would be all for more fossil fuels. But alas they have already tapped out that tax avenue and are looking for fresh meat and new scams to work. .. hence carbon credits!

By the time the climate starts to cool again the totalitarian high priesthood will be selling us ice to warm our coffee.
user4
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 pm

http://www.co2science.org/

Links on this non-profit website to many alternative views on global warming hysteria.
Last edited by odelltrclan on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I repeat, the science is not settled in favor of human influenced global warming.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 am

Even if global warming has not been human-influenced, if it's potentially harmful to life on our planet, don't we have a responsibility to engage in behavior that does influence the climate in a positive way? Perhaps we can and should do this, regardless of what may be responsible for the current situation. If we saw a large meteor or other celestial body headed for the earth on a collision course with us in a hundred years, wouldn't we try to intercept and deflect it? Why shouldn't we treat global warming as a similar threat? To me, who or what is causing global warming is almost irrelevant. If we think we can reverse it or slow it down, we probably should be working on that.

Looked at in that way, and taking the blame factor out of it, we may find it easier to modify our individual, corporate, and governmental behavior.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 am

tandfman wrote:Even if global warming has not been human-influenced, if it's potentially harmful to life on our planet, don't we have a responsibility to engage in behavior that does influence the climate in a positive way?

That's been my argument all along: regardless of man's contribution to Global Warming (which IS a scientific fact; it's measurable), CO2 emissions DO exacerbate the effect, and we ARE polluting the earth at an alarming rate, so why not do something about it now?
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 am

Marlow wrote:CO2 emissions DO exacerbate the effect

But by how much? Enough to worry about?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:CO2 emissions DO exacerbate the effect

But by how much? Enough to worry about?

According to 'most' of the most recent studies, yes.
Equating it back to the "pee in the backyard pool" analogy, if one kids pees, not a big deal, when the adults do it regularly, yeah, that's a problem, even if the water hasn't turned yellow yet.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby jeremyp » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:17 am

Super Cyclone Phailin headed to India. Half the size of India equal to a Cat 4 Hurricane, it's going into the Bay Of Bengal. Last time such a storm hit there it caused 10,000 deaths.
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hur ... n-20131010
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby shivfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 am

"Indian disaster teams have begun a relief operation after Cyclone Phailin crashed into eastern areas, forcing up to one million people to flee. Officials are assessing the damage and providing food to hundreds of thousands who spent the night in shelters. The cyclone wrecked many coastal homes, uprooted trees and blocked roads in Andhra Pradesh and Orissa states. Five deaths have so far been linked to the cyclone, far fewer than were initially feared. In 1999 a cyclone killed more than 10,000 people in Orissa. But the authorities said they were better prepared this time. The BBC's Sanjoy Majumder in Berhampur, Orissa, says the authorities made massive effort to get the message out to people, many of whom were reluctant to leave their homes. He says their efforts appear to have paid off....But officials were confident that a massive loss of life had been avoided. "We were preparing for a super cyclone, but Phailin did not turn into a super cyclone," disaster official Tripti Parule told the AFP news agency. He said the evacuation was the biggest in India's history for such an event."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-24510464

The last time a major hurricane hit Jamaica, only a couple of people died in a country of nearly three million. Like India, Jamaica have mastered the best way of minimising casualties against hurricanes and cyclones.

India has successfully evacuated a million people from a hurricane/cyclone zone. There are lessons here for so-called First World countries who have had difficulty minimising death tolls during a hurricane strike. The United States could learn a lot from countries like India and Jamaica in this regard. India do evacuations better than the Americans do, and Jamaicans are better at turning off public services that can kill during these storms, such as electricity, than Americans. As a result, the death tolls in countries such as India and Jamaica are much lower when hurricanes/cyclones strike than the US.

Yes, the US hardly gets hit by these superstorms, when compared to the Caribbean and South Asia, but it also stands to reason that the US would be well-advised to call in experts from countries such as India and Jamaica, because they have handled these storms much better than the Americans have, due to this experience. However, there is still this First World prejudice against countries who have dark-skinned people, because there's a reluctance to believe that they can actually master their responses to something like hurricanes and cyclones better than the most powerful country in the world....
shivfan
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Just outside London

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby jeremyp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 am

I think the problem with many folks in the way of a hurricane in the U.S. is that they rely on their modern buildings and transportation too much. "My buildings will hold up or I can get the hell out in time." In developing countries where houses are fragile and transportation spotty governments can get a mass exodus to work. Once those countries get a sizeable middle class look for them to be as stubborn as we are in the face of disaster.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby tandfman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Is this what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted?

http://www.fabulous-pictures.com/seven- ... ce-melted/
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:24 am

tandfman wrote:Is this what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted?

Ba-bye, Florida!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:18 am

Marlow wrote:Ba-bye, Florida!

It will still be there. And will make a beautiful coral reef. Or will the water be too acidic with all the CO2?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 am

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:Is this what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted?

Ba-bye, Florida!


No more SEC bias. I kind of like that map!
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:29 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:Is this what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted?

Ba-bye, Florida!


No more SEC bias. I kind of like that map!


I guess, there is a silver lining in everything :wink: .
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 am

Not too late to invest in some nice future water-front property in rural Georgia, where's it's still dirt (ha!) cheap.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby gh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:09 pm

the planet just had its warmest November since we started tracking such

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ck/282450/
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests