LHC

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: LHC

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 am

lonewolf wrote:I suppose anything someone doesn't understand is feasible. :)

And since no one can prove my story wrong, I'm good to go!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:58 am

Marlow wrote:

Ain't the metaphysics grand? Anything goes :wink: .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:05 am

Pego wrote:Ain't the metaphysics grand? Anything goes :wink: .

Yes, and my story is literally based on META-physics: how the (changes in) physics of the multiverse works!
Marlow

Postby JRM » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 am

Marlow wrote:

No one, huh? Hmm..
JRM

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 am

JRM wrote:No one, huh? Hmm..

Anyone can come up with a similarly constructed 'story', but no, no one can PROVE or DISPROVE the story unless there are impossibilities (as we currently define the physics of OUR universe) that render the story untenable.

I would LOVE to hear your version of the story!! (seriously). What I don't like are students who just give up and say, 'I have no idea'. Where's the adventure in that?!
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:3 "big picture ??'s from me:

1. We say the universe began with a "big bang". How do we know there have not been an infinite # of big bangs previously, with another infinity of them to come in the future, before and after the birth and demise of our current deal ?

2. What is currently the farthest object ( star/galaxy ) that we have seen telescopically ?

3. We speak of the "expanding" universe." If this is so, and the other sides, how do we know there are not an infinite # of additional universes ?

My head is spinning now, I'll stop.

This is JRM territory, I am an amateur and working without notes (and no looking at Wiki...) Generally, they call it space-time for a reason: the two are completely intertwined. 'Before' the Big Bang there was no time and no space. A corollary is that time will end if the universe collapses back to a point. However, everything at this point indicates that we ain't ever going back. Rather, the expansion is speeding up as Dark Energy is over-coming the retarding effects of gravity. There are alternative theories that have little bit extra that changes such things but are not views that are widely held, I think. JRM has interactions with some of these guys.

I must go now, will add more later if JRM has not covered the territory.
26mi235

Postby Pego » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 am

Marlow wrote:What I don't like are students who just give up and say, 'I have no idea'. Where's the adventure in that?!

Do you really prefer speculation unsupported by evidence to admission of ignorance of the subject matter? A flight of fancy over facts?
Pego

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 am

Pego wrote:Do you really prefer speculation unsupported by evidence to admission of ignorance of the subject matter? A flight of fancy over facts?

One of the explicit goals of my class IS to speculate, especially where the facts are insufficient to 'know'. When they speculate (or I do, which is often), we find ways to support or refute the supposition. They will be presented with MANY unsubstantiated ideas throughout their lives and it's my job to prepare them for that - to question everything. Speculation is the human way of "making meaning" out of the randomness of our existence. Existential exercises such as this are paramount in their 'college-prep' experience, college being where 'speculation' is the coin of the realm, at least in the humanities.
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 am

Marlow wrote:Existential exercises such as this are paramount in their 'college-prep' experience, college being where 'speculation' is the coin of the realm, at least in the humanities.

But this is science, not humanities. The norm in science is to gather information so the first 'speculation' can be informed rather than a guess.
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:43 am

Daisy wrote:But this is science, not humanities.

Not really. As Pego points out, it's metaphysics. Nothing I posit goes AGAINST science as we understand it (not that it's remotely 'true' in any real sense).
Marlow

Postby Pego » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Marlow wrote:
Daisy wrote:But this is science, not humanities.

Not really. As Pego points out, it's metaphysics. Nothing I posit goes AGAINST science as we understand it (not that it's remotely 'true' in any real sense).

Hey, let's not misquote Pego. I referred to your monologue on universe as metaphysics. A subject matter in question was universe, i.e. science. Your exercises in mental gymnastics with your students are fine as long as it remains just that, mental exercises, not mistaking fantasy for reality.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am

Pego wrote:Your exercises in mental gymnastics with your students are fine as long as it remains just that, mental exercises, not mistaking fantasy for reality.

As I said before, this is an ENGLISH class, not an astrophysics seminar.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm

It's hard for me to see what that has to do with the study of the English language or its literature.
tandfman

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Fantasy, Fiction and Sci-Fi are terms that spring to mind ;)
Daisy

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Well yes, but the paragraph that Marlow reads to them doesn't seem to fit any of those categories.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 pm

tandfman wrote:Well yes, but the paragraph that Marlow reads to them doesn't seem to fit any of those categories.

It has little (if nothing) to do with the subject matter. Did you read my explanation above? (not that ya hafta!)
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Yes, but you're the one who stressed that this was an ENGLISH class.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:02 pm

tandfman wrote:Yes, but you're the one who stressed that this was an ENGLISH class.

It is. I was demonstrating an important facet of rhetoric (of which speculation often plays an important part). The AP English Language course is primarily one of rhetorical analysis. The discussion that my 'lecture' engenders gives valuable insight into how one should handle the vagaries of the information that are thrown at us on a daily basis.
Marlow

Postby JRM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Here's a link to the journal issue (Physics Letters B) in which the official discovery announcement papers from the ATLAS and CMS Collaborations are published (p 1-29 for ATLAS, and p 30-61 for CMS). Also, scroll down and check out paper #11 in the issue's Astrophysics and Cosmology section (p 171-176)!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/jo ... 2693/716/1
JRM

Postby Pego » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 pm

JRM wrote:Here's a link to the journal issue (Physics Letters B) in which the official discovery announcement papers from the ATLAS and CMS Collaborations are published (p 1-29 for ATLAS, and p 30-61 for CMS). Also, scroll down and check out paper #11 in the issue's Astrophysics and Cosmology section (p 171-176)!

It would be even better if I understood it :) .
Pego

Postby bambam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 am

I think JRM is referring to #11 as his own paper - author is JR Mureika.
bambam

Postby Pego » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:40 am

bambam wrote:I think JRM is referring to #11 as his own paper - author is JR Mureika.

Yes.
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 pm

JRM wrote:Here's a link to the journal issue (Physics Letters B) in which the official discovery announcement papers from the ATLAS and CMS Collaborations are published (p 1-29 for ATLAS, and p 30-61 for CMS). Also, scroll down and check out paper #11 in the issue's Astrophysics and Cosmology section (p 171-176)!

By the way. look at the length of the authors list; the 19th author has a name starting with Ad and they are all alphabetical.
26mi235

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:39 pm

26mi235 wrote:

By the way. look at the length of the authors list; the 19th author has a name starting with Ad and they are all alphabetical.

It's also not uncommon for those international collaborations to have authors who are posthumously listed (and I believe there are several in that list). In fact, the entire author listing goes on for at least 10 pages.
JRM

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 am

JRM wrote:In fact, the entire author listing goes on for at least 10 pages.

Publish or perish!
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:49 am

JRM wrote: In fact, the entire author listing goes on for at least 10 pages.

Sounds like movie credits. :)
tandfman

Postby JRM » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 am

tandfman wrote:
JRM wrote: In fact, the entire author listing goes on for at least 10 pages.

Sounds like movie credits. :)

Here what the ATLAS paper look like:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.7214

The author list starts at page 25. The paper also has the following dedication:

"This paper is dedicated to the memory of our ATLAS colleagues who did not live to see the full impact and significance of their contributions to the experiment."
JRM

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 pm

JRM wrote:
26mi235 wrote:

It's also not uncommon for those international collaborations to have authors who are posthumously listed (and I believe there are several in that list). In fact, the entire author listing goes on for at least 10 pages.

My article in Nature had ten authors, and I thought that that was a lot. Yes, I am aware of the issues in big experimental setups, so I am not surprised by that long list.
26mi235

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:59 am

Results not kind to Super Symmetry. Commentary from JRM needed here for perspective?

The new observation, reported at the Hadron Collider Physics conference in Kyoto, is not consistent with many of the most likely models of SUSY.

Prof Chris Parke, who is the spokesperson for the UK Participation in the LHCb experiment, told BBC News: "Supersymmetry may not be dead but these latest results have certainly put it into hospital."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20300100
26mi235

Postby JRM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am

26mi235 wrote:Results not kind to Super Symmetry. Commentary from JRM needed here for perspective?

The new observation, reported at the Hadron Collider Physics conference in Kyoto, is not consistent with many of the most likely models of SUSY.

Their results suggest that the decays of B0-mesons (neutral particles made of quark - anti-quark pairs of varying flavor) decay to lighter particles (muon and anti-muon) in a fashion consistent with the Standard Model. The bad thing is the statistics of the decay rates (called branching ratios) is what strongly constraints Supersymmetry. That is, supersymmetry predicts a rate they're decidedly not seeing. So, good for Standard Model, bad for Supersymmetry.

That being said, my contacts at CERN inform me that LHCb is stretching the stats a bit, and not to put too much faith in the "sensationalist" press release.
JRM

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 am

JRM wrote:(neutral particles made of quark - anti-quark pairs of varying flavor) decay to lighter particles (muon and anti-muon)

So I'm reading wiki . . .

There is considerable speculation as to why the observable universe is apparently composed almost entirely of matter (as opposed to a mixture of matter and antimatter), whether there exist other places that are almost entirely composed of antimatter . . .

I'm imagining an anti-universe where left is right, down is up . . . :wink:
Marlow

Postby JRM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Marlow wrote:
There is considerable speculation as to why the observable universe is apparently composed almost entirely of matter (as opposed to a mixture of matter and antimatter), whether there exist other places that are almost entirely composed of antimatter . . .

I'm imagining an anti-universe where left is right, down is up . . . :wink:

Well, yes and no. Anti-matter does exist in our region of the universe. In fact, high-energy cosmic ray positrons (i.e. anti-electrons) shoot through your body every day. We can also readily manufacture anti-matter in the laboratory, e.g. at CERN. Anti-particles have the opposite properties of their particle counterparts, but those are PARTICLE properties: the two most common are spin and chirality (so, in a sense, right IS left for anti-matter).

But technically, mass is not included: anti-matter has positive mass, and feels gravity the same way normal mass does. Now, in other cases, you can have negative energy particles, but those can't exist for more time than the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle allows (i.e. they're not around long enough for you to see them).

If you want to go full-weird, however, you can adopt Richard Feynman's interpretation of anti-particles: they are negative-energy (negative mass) particles that travel backward in time!
JRM

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm

JRM wrote:1. high-energy cosmic ray positrons (i.e. anti-electrons) shoot through your body every day.
2. they're not around long enough for you to see them.
3. anti-particles: they are negative-energy (negative mass) particles that travel backward in time!

1. I wondered what that tingling sensation was!
2. um . . . then how do we know . . . never mind
3. What happens when they get back to the Big Bang?! :shock:
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 pm

[quote="Marlow"
3. What happens when they get back to the Big Bang?! :shock:[/quote]

Given what 'Dark Energy' does, it seems like there will be no return to the Big Bang in the future (it is never coming back together in a point), if that is what you meant.

If you meant what it looks like when you look back far enough, there is no really looking back passed about 300,000 from BB because the radiation was dominant and it was all a haze.
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Oh dear!

yahoo news wrote:Collisions between particles inside the Large Hadron Collider atom smasher have created what looks like a new form of matter. The new kind of matter is called color-glass condensate, and is a liquidlike wave of gluons, which are elementary particles related to the strong force that sticks quarks together inside protons and neutrons (hence they are like "glue").
In this case, the collisions create what's called quark-gluon plasma — a superhot soup of particles similar to the state of the universe just after the Big Bang.

We're messin' wid stuff we might shouldn't! :wink:
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 pm

OK, watch this movie. Do not look at any info about it until you have seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NwLUPZWZc

I comes from some LHC/physics people, low-budget for sure, but better than most.
26mi235

Postby Pego » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 pm

I think this is really witty.

Heisenberg and Schrödinger are speeding in a car and get pulled over.
Heisenberg is in the driver's seat, so the officer asks him, "Do you know
how fast you were going?" Heisenberg replies, "No, but I know exactly where
I am!"
The officer looks at him confused and says, "You were going 108 miles per
hour!"
Heisenberg throws his arms up and cries, "Great! Now I'm lost!"
The officer, now more confused and frustrated, orders the men outside of
the car, and proceeds to inspect the vehicle. He opens the trunk and yells
at the two men, "Hey! Did you guys know you have a dead cat back here?"
Schrödinger angrily yells back, "Well, we do now!"
Pego

Postby JRM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Pego wrote:I think this is really witty.

I am!"
hour!"

:lol: Awesome. Can't believe I haven't heard that before.
JRM

Postby bambam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Perhaps my all-time favorite bumper sticker:

Heisenberg May Have Slept Here
bambam

Postby kuha » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm

JRM wrote:
Pego wrote:I think this is really witty.

I am!"
hour!"

:lol: Awesome. Can't believe I haven't heard that before.

Yes, this is pretty great. Thanks!
kuha

PreviousNext