2008 FAST Annual

A place for amateurs to work on their track & field collections.

2008 FAST Annual

Postby SDavis » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Well, gang, I have the copies of the 08 FAST Annual in my garage!! The 30th edition. Why have I done this so long? I really don't know. :) But, it is fun to see the final version, that's for sure. Paid up FAST members will be getting their copies shortly. Anyone wanting to buy a copy this weekend can stop by the announcer's booth at Carson. 700 pages again of terrific [if I do say so myself] stuff, including the all-time lists, 07 year lists, index material and much more. Cost is 24 media mail, 27.50 priority, checks payable to me as always and sent to 4432 Snowbird Circle, Cerritos, CA. 90703. People in Europe and elsewhere should contact me at ssd@aol.com for ordering details. Many thanks.
SDavis

Re: 2008 FAST Annual

Postby Marlow » Fri May 16, 2008 3:06 am

SDavis wrote: 700 pages again of terrific [if I do say so myself] stuff.

I'll say!! I look forward to its arrival soonest!! Thanks, Scott.
(Pat C)
Marlow

Postby mike renfro » Fri May 16, 2008 8:50 am

I'll be hangin by the mailbox :D ATFS came Monday. I go to Carson Sunday. Life is good :D
mike renfro

Postby triple50 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:59 am

What is the FAST Annual?
triple50

Postby Marlow » Fri May 16, 2008 11:18 am

triple50 wrote:What is the FAST Annual?

It's the US Annual - a statistical wrap-up of the year (2007). Has the full year and all-time lists and lots of other stat goodies. The back has an excellent index that summaries the careers of all the major players.

FAST (Federation of American Statisticians of Track)
[I still say that it was I who named it, but no one ever gave me stinkin' credit!!]
Marlow

Postby mike renfro » Fri May 16, 2008 5:27 pm

I was at the founding meeting, in Eugene, at a nationals (I think) and can't remember the year (the back issues are still in the damn garage). I think Scott came in with the FAST suggestion, because it made a catchy acronym. In the early issues, there was the catch phrase "These are the souls which time men's tries"
mike renfro

FAST Annual

Postby SDavis » Fri May 16, 2008 9:51 pm

mike renfro wrote:I was at the founding meeting, in Eugene, at a nationals (I think) and can't remember the year (the back issues are still in the damn garage). I think Scott came in with the FAST suggestion, because it made a catchy acronym. In the early issues, there was the catch phrase "These are the souls which time men's tries"

Yep, Mike is absolutely correct. Founding meeting was in Eugene in 1983. I started up after that in 1984 with Don Potts and Stan Eales. Stan died in 1984, Don a few years ago. The other instrumental person in the early years was Bill Mallon; the current FAST logo was designed by Bill. This is the 25th year. Unreal!!!! We are still at around 105 members and always looking for more. This year, as mentioned, is the 30th edition of the US Annual. It has been a lot of work but I would like to think that FAST has made a major contribution to the stat side of the sport. FAST has also produced the AR Progression book for the Men and Women and I am close to updating that once again. That has not been done since 1998. Beginning in 1993, we decided to give Don a special award for his contributions and we started the Potts Award for statistical excellence; it has been given annually since 1994. This year's winner will be, oh, crap, I can't tell you that just yet!!!!
SDavis

Postby tandfman » Sat May 17, 2008 4:06 am

Marlow wrote:FAST (Federation of American Statisticians of Track)
[I still say that it was I who named it, but no one ever gave me stinkin' credit!!]

And, in view of the last two posts, it looks as if no one ever will. :)
tandfman