Looking for Heike Drechsler bio?

A place for amateurs to work on their track & field collections.

Looking for Heike Drechsler bio?

Postby parkerrclay » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:56 pm

Absprung. Autobiographie. (Hardcover)
by Heike Drechsler, Esther Zschieschow

Does this book come in English anywhere??
Last edited by parkerrclay on Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parkerrclay

Re: Looking for Heike Drechsler bio?

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:24 am

>Does this book come in English anywhere??

Nope.
Jon

Postby parkerrclay » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:07 pm

Has it ever been translated?
parkerrclay

Postby mojo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:11 pm

>>Does this book come in English anywhere??

Nope.

Cos if it did Jon would have it and I'd be borrowing it!

I wish it would but I doubt it ever will.
mojo

Postby Andrea_T » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:17 am

The book hasnt been released in english, but if you ask the publishers nicely they may provide you with a translated script for a small price :-)
Alternatively, the only other option is to buy it in german and pay someone to translate, which can be costly because it isnt short.

It's a good read, although it takes a while for her to get into the juicy bits and she spends a lot of time talking about growing up and is quite self indulgent at the start.
When she does get going there are some quite interesting snippets though. She insists that there were good points in the GDR regime which isnt too shocking I guess. She tells the story around her apparently being a member of the stasi, but denies it (a friend of her husbands was a stasi member, and gave her money in an envelope when she returned from overseas competition once... quite interesting as Gohr always accused her of being a spy)She also talks of how they used to spend a whole weeks wages on hair dye because it wasnt available in the east!
She speaks of not getting on with the other Jena sprinters (Gohr & Aueswald) and of their criticism of her being included in the 4x100 pool. Her coach had to fight to get her in it as the others didnt want her in as she didnt practice baton changing as much but instead trained with the jump/multi event coaches, not the sprint coaches. She says she ran a 4x4 leg in the 87 europa cup with the aim of possibly running the individual 400 in Rome (!)but instead stuck with the 100/LJ/4x1&4x4...but of course injury meant she withdrew from the relays (and without her the US won easily... food for thought for Gohr et al) After that she vowed she wouldnt run the relay again under the GDR because of 'the others' (although I believe she was penned in for the 4x4 in Seoul initially)
She refutes any accusations of being doped, saying it may have gone on with some but she was never aware of being given anything. She believes doping should mean life bans and criminal offences. She says her weights bests stayed consistent at the end of her career and the same as when she was under the GDR, stating if she were on drugs then then surely she'd be lifting more. Quite contritely she says if she had been on drugs she'd have gone over 7.70! She talks about how the women and coaches today dont put the same emphasis on 'anlauf kontrol' (run-up control and co-ordination)which is one of the reasons why so many today arent performing to their potential. She also said if she'd have won gold in the LJ in seoul she'd have reverted back to the heptathlon for the 92 olympics. She also mentions the charisma of Flo Jo and how she was amazed at her running, and her friendship with Kostadinova and Bubka. She also says how Jones reminded her of her clashes with JJk, so used this as motivation to keep training.

There you go, a free, concise translation for you!
Last edited by Andrea_T on Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea_T

Postby El Toro » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:53 am

Sounds like we have the translator and the new English language rights holder! Come on, Andrea, you know you want to....
Last edited by El Toro on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Toro

Postby parkerrclay » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:48 am

Andrea,

Do you have an address for the publisher?
parkerrclay

Postby El Toro » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:28 pm

The publisher is Sportverlag, Berlin (ISBN: 3328009337)published in 2001. I found this address from 2002:
Sportverlag Berlin GmbH
Markgrafenstr. 11
10969 Berlin
Tel.: 0 30 / 25 91 – 35 50
Fax: 0 30 / 25 91 – 35 16
E-Mail: marketing@sportverlag-berlin.de

I found references to and tried www.sportverlag-berlin.de but it wouldn't open. No current record on the phone search so maybe they no longer exist or have been taken over.
El Toro

Postby El Toro » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:06 pm

Any result parkerclay? edit: parkerrclay. Sorry, I don't burrrrr my speach too well :)
Last edited by El Toro on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Toro

Postby parkerrclay » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Yes, they were bought out by a division of Random House. I emailed them and they have no translated copies to sell. Does anyone have any ideas on how to translate a German edition of this book for a reasonable price?
Last edited by parkerrclay on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parkerrclay

Postby El Toro » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:16 am

USD$10,000 should do it for a technical translation.
El Toro

Postby parkerrclay » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:01 pm

El Toro...if that's supposed to be funny, you failed.
Last edited by parkerrclay on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parkerrclay

Postby runningscotsman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:14 pm

I`d personally would not recommend buying this book or paying to have it translated, simply because Drechsler does not come clean about her doping past. She´d always been keen to sweep this chapter of her life under the carpet - after all, she did well financially after German reunification and has become a TV personality. There was/is simply too much for her to lose. In her book "Doping Documents", Brigitte Berendonk described Drechsler as a "perfect example of youth doping" and provided documentation to back her claim up. Drechsler thereupon took Beredonk to court, but, embarassingly for her, she lost.
runningscotsman

Postby El Toro » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:37 pm

parkerrclay, calling me a failure makes you sound like my mother....

The reality is that there is no such thing as a cheap translation only a bad one. If you can't speak German and you aren't married or otherwise related to a translator then you have the following options:
1. Convince the publisher there is English language demand so they'll do all the work(possible but unlikely)
2. Pay for a proper translation(quick but $$$)
3. Learn German(cheap but slow)
4. Scan and OCR the book and rely on Babelfish(cheap but unreadable)
5. Forget about it.

I'll leave it with you.
El Toro

Postby Rog » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:40 am

"Gohr always accused her of being a spy...She speaks of not getting on with the other Jena
>sprinters (Gohr & Aueswald) and of their criticism of her being included in the
>4x100 pool. Her coach had to fight to get her in it as the others didnt want
>her in as she didnt practice baton changing as much but instead trained with
>the jump/multi event coaches, not the sprint coaches. She says she ran a 4x4
>leg in the 87 europa cup with the aim of possibly running the individual 400 in
>Rome (!)but instead stuck with the 100/LJ/4x1&4x4...but of course injury meant
>she withdrew from the relays (and without her the US won easily... food for
>thought for Gohr et al) After that she vowed she wouldnt run the relay again
>under the GDR because of 'the others' (although I believe she was penned in for
>the 4x4 in Seoul initially)."

This is interesting, because in 1988 the GDR basically lost the Olympic 4x100 because of Drechsler's absence. She was their only medal-winning sprinter that year, and I'm surprised that she would have had the option of turning down a place in the team under those circumstances.

Wasn't Marlies Gohr in attendance at Drechsler's last race, indoors earlier this year? Looks as if they've made up!
Rog

Postby Andrea_T » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:31 am

This is interesting, because in 1988 the GDR basically lost
>the Olympic 4x100 because of Drechsler's absence. She was their only
>medal-winning sprinter that year, and I'm surprised that she would have had the
>option of turning down a place in the team under those circumstances.
>

Wasn't Marlies Gohr in attendance at Drechsler's last race, indoors earlier
>this year? Looks as if they've made up!

Gohr and Aueswald had the same coach, and he lobbyed for HD to be excluded from the team as she didnt practice enough with the other sprinters (Gohr and Aueswald did baton practice together every day)

If you're referring to the 60m fun run, Gohr, Stecher, Wockel and Drechsler were all there, but their friendliness was likely for the cameras!
Andrea_T

Postby Andrea_T » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:41 am

>translated, simply because Drechsler does not come clean about her doping past.
>She´d always been keen to sweep this chapter of her life under the carpet -
>after all, she did well financially after German reunification and has become a
>TV personality. There was/is simply too much for her to lose. In her book
>"Doping Documents", Brigitte Berendonk described Drechsler as a "perfect
>example of youth doping" and provided documentation to back her claim up.
>Drechsler thereupon took Beredonk to court, but, embarassingly for her, she
>lost.

Firstly, to clarify, it was Berendonk that took Drechsler to court. Please get your facts right. The case centred around Drechsler calling Berendonk a liar in public and was not about whether Drechsler was on drugs, but about whether Drechsler had slandered Berendonk. It was a long saga that started at the 92 olympic press conference after HD's gold: a swedish journalist had asked about the Berendonk book, Drechsler replied "it is a lie, I am a big talent, I do not need drugs" Berendonk wrote to Drechsler and asked her to make a public apology, Drechsler refused, so Berendonk took her to court. It was then delayed because there was confusion over whether the question was in asked english or german, and a debate ensued between various journalists. Eventually this was clarified and HD was summoned but she didnt attend. It was then passed onto a higher court. HD was proved to have slandered Berendonk so she was ordered to pay costs. It had nothing to do with whether Drechsler was on drugs.

Drechsler 'doesnt come clean' as you put it because in her eyes she has never knowingly taken drugs. She does address the drugs issue in the book, but what do you expect her to say? It's obvious she has problems coming to terms with the GDR regime, but that really is understandable. She doesnt talk about the Berendonk case because she is not allowed to.

For the record, Drechsler's LJ performances remained constant after reunification (indeed she equalled her pb in 92 and set the furtherst jump by a woman in any conidtions that year) and her sprinting dropped marginally because she chose to focus on the LJ again (still made top ten in 100& 200 in 91 though, as well as the national title in 92 over 100, an 11.3 in 93, and then 22.84 in a heptathlon in 94 and 23.05 indoors in 95 and 23.16 indoors in 96... she even ran a 53+ 400m relay leg in 1998 nationals!)

Drechsler's bio, when it gets going, is one of the most interesting athlete's bio's you'll ever read.
Last edited by Andrea_T on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea_T

Postby parkerrclay » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:39 pm

Drechsler's bio, when it gets going, is one of the most interesting athlete's bio's you'll ever read.

Do you mean the English translation mentioned above or a brand new bio in the works?
parkerrclay

Postby Andrea_T » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:21 am

Sorry, I mean the current one unavailable for print in english.

Why dont you suggest to TFN they pay to have it translated into english then sell copies of the transcript, they'd easily get their money back and then some!
Andrea_T

Postby Powell » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:11 am

I doubt it. Or do you reckon Tianna Madison would want to buy it after Helsinki? ;-P
Powell

Postby parkerrclay » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:38 am

Andrea, I emailed them your suggestion and this is their reply:

Confidence not shared

"That we'd easily get our money back on a translation of the Drechsler autobiography. I doubt we could sell 200 copies."
parkerrclay

Postby runningscotsman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 pm

ok, sorry for twisting the facts (this was unintentional). However, you have to ask yourself why Drechsler did not turn up in court. The damaging testimony and negative publicity? I also find it difficult to believe he claim that she did not know she was taking steroids. Like the others, Drechsler knew full well what was going on. Ok, maybe she didn´t have a choice, but I think she still has a lot soul-searching to do.
That aside, you´re quite correct in pointing out that she maintain a high standard after reunification. Her sprinting times dropped off tellingly, but she was technically better once she´d began to focus solely on the long jump. Drugs here, drugs there, she was a great competitive athlete and her Olympic victory in Sydney almost won over this skeptic.
runningscotsman

Postby El Toro » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:53 pm

I would have thought 200 copies would have easy?

Still, the joy of the internet is that it is relatively easy to establish demand. All TFN has to do is advertise the proposed translation on an e-commerce site and take a non-refundable deposit on credit card and give a clear time frame ie 500 deposits(or whatever it takes) in 2mths before they'll go ahead. If the numbers are there, they do it and the rest comes off your card, if not, they don't and send you a cancellation order. This process gets rid of the dreamers who'd send in an email from 10 different addresses.....

For small numbers, like 500, they'd certainly have to charge a premium price as well to cover the English language rights,translation, printing etc. $50USD + even for a paperback. Of course, you could establish your own list of pre-orders to convince them but you'd need a lot more numbers without the financial commitment described above.
El Toro

Postby Andrea_T » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:47 am

runningscotsman wrote:ok, sorry for twisting the facts (this was unintentional). However, you have to ask yourself why Drechsler did not turn up in court. The damaging testimony and negative publicity? I also find it difficult to believe he claim that she did not know she was taking steroids. Like the others, Drechsler knew full well what was going on. Ok, maybe she didn´t have a choice, but I think she still has a lot soul-searching to do.

Drechsler did not initially turn up in court because it was a 'low level' court and not a case she took seriously, to her misfortune. Of course it was damaging publicity for her, and as she intended to carry on competing I understand why she was reluctant to entertain any public debate over it. Eventually of course she had to, and has since openly spoken about the GDR regime on various shows and in news articles, criticising the GDR doping programme. To this day though she has always said she has never knowingly taken drugs, and I believe her.

An interesting point is the amount of 'brainwashing' the regime did. There are recorded 'interviews' with a young Drechsler and Stasi officials, with her first coach present, where the Stasi explicitly create more tension between Drechsler and Gohr. They encouraged Drechsler to use this anger in her training. The feel of the interview is very much of a young girl eager to please, being taken advantage of by the older, imposing Stasi. Drechsler is also heard criticising the GDR press and asking why they are never at the front row in GDR victorory press conferences, but the Stasi reply that this should not happen incase the journalists said anything inappropriate.
Dont under estimate the extent the regime went to to control the public, and please take this into account before making any conclusions about guilty germans!
Andrea_T

Postby tafnut » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:02 am

>>Drechsler did not initially turn up in court because it was a 'low level' court and not a case she took seriously, to her misfortune.<<

Who does not take a court case (even 'low level') seriously? The hubris is revelatory.
tafnut

Postby Andrea_T » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:05 am

Who does not take a court case (even 'low level') seriously? The hubris is revelatory.[/quote]

We're talking Judge Judy, not Old Bailey....
Andrea_T

Postby Rog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 pm

"An interesting point is the amount of 'brainwashing' the regime did. There are recorded 'interviews' with a young Drechsler and Stasi officials, with her first coach present, where the Stasi explicitly create more tension between Drechsler and Gohr. They encouraged Drechsler to use this anger in her training. The feel of the interview is very much of a young girl eager to please, being taken advantage of by the older, imposing Stasi. Drechsler is also heard criticising the GDR press and asking why they are never at the front row in GDR victorory press conferences, but the Stasi reply that this should not happen incase the journalists said anything inappropriate.
Dont under estimate the extent the regime went to to control the public, and please take this into account before making any conclusions about guilty germans!"

Andrea, do you have any more insights into the contents of these interviews? How did they go about trying to create tension? I remember reading in Wolfgang Schmidt's biography that he said there were very few friendships in the GDR team, and I guess this is why.... yet it flies in the face of the perception that the GDR had a very strong team spirit.
Rog