I Support Marion Jones

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Re: Beamon's jump

Postby Sprintstatman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:05 am

Mexico City was also the first OG held on what we would recognise as a modern synthetic track. This was also the first generation of baby-boomer athletes - Hines, Greene, Carlos, Smith, Evans, Beamon, James and so on were an exceptional group who set new standards away from altitude as well.
Sprintstatman

Postby highjumpsteve » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:14 am

>Mexico City was also the first OG held on what we would recognise as a modern
>synthetic track. This was also the first generation of baby-boomer athletes -
>Hines, Greene, Carlos, Smith, Evans, Beamon, James and so on were an
>exceptional group who set new standards away from altitude as well.

good point to raise about the first OG on a synthetic track, no one had brought that out before.

We'll never know, but if these games had been held at a lower altitude the results would have still been spectacular with multiple WR's, just not quite as spectacular. And Doubell's =WR @ 800 probably was hurt by the altitude, not helped. Beamon in the 28's, Saneyev in the 56's, Hemery high 48's, 1600 relay for sure under 2:59, etc.
highjumpsteve

Postby kuha » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:28 am

...And Keino at what?...3:32...or 3:36 (and losing)?...
kuha

Postby highjumpsteve » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:35 am

>...And Keino at what?...3:32...or 3:36 (and losing)?...

Keino would have still won.... his time ? for sure a WR or at worse under 3:34, all IMHO of course.
highjumpsteve

Postby tafnut » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:46 pm

The '67 Ryun would have won, but the '68 version was beatable. Ironically enough, I bet the time would have been the same at sea level, and Keino's early break would have held off the hard-charging Ryun again. Interesting to speculate.
tafnut

Re: I Support Marion Jones

Postby MJD » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:08 am

moreover, do you think
>that the balco related documents were forgeries?

Maybe someone will try to argue that "even if they are forgeries, the substance of them is accurate".
MJD

Postby Mel » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:24 am

<<Maybe someone will try to argue that "even if they are forgeries, the substance of them is accurate".>>

LOL!

While I don't buy the Marionette argument, we still don't have the nose measurement results.
Mel

Postby Mel » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:57 am

"even if they are forgeries, the substance of them is accurate".

They may be for juries which we trust will be composed of substantive jurors, and without substances which could interfere with the substantiation of evidence. Even if they are fake, the sub-text of the argument is without fallacy.
Last edited by Mel on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel

Postby MJD » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 am

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... ght=#67950

Above was thread after MJ slammed USADA. She may want to revise and extend some of her remarks:

""I am not going to engage in the United States Anti-Doping Agency's secret kangaroo court. I will answer questions in a public forum that will be open for the entire world to see, hear and evaluate," Jones said in a statement released to The Associated Press.

"I will answer all the questions USADA is asking of me for the third time. However, this time I will not answer them in secret and behind closed doors. I will answer them in public in the light of day so the world can hear the questions, hear my responses, see the information and see for themselves that I am telling the truth," she said.

"We can answer these questions before the United States Senate, which has shown an interest in this matter, or some other public forum modeled after a judicial proceeding.""

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/ ... 3257.shtml
MJD

Previous